CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He seems so young to be in college already. Is 17 normal for a student to already have started a year at college in the US? TIA

Not normally. Most often kids are 18 when they graduate. I was 17 when I graduated but that was due to the rules for kindergarten when I was younger. At that time, you needed to be 5 yrs old by December 1st. My birthday was Dec 1 so I was the youngest in my class.
In our area of the US, the kindergarten rule is now 5 by September 1st.

Also, it is reported that Austin quit high school last year and got his GED. (General Education Equivilance Test that is showing he knew all he needed to know in order to graduate.) Although it is in some ways "equal" to a high school diploma, many employers (right or wrong) don't count the GED as equal. Many see a GED person as a "quitter" who didn't stay in school. Not always a fair assessment, as there are many reasons including medical issues, many relocations, etc that are the true reason the person chose GED.

I wonder if this Austin person even realizes his actions were wrong/evil/cruel/abnormal. I suspect he was curious and seeking to conduct his own experiments (I don't think he harbored any particular anger or hatred toward JR per se). Does he realize his "hobby" is an aberration? Or is he missing that part of his brain/wiring that would allow him to sense right from wrong?

If he didn't realize it, he'd likely have told his mom or friends he might have that dismembering someone sounded fun and cool. He was also in counselling for *advertiser censored* addiction, so I'm sure the subject of what aroused him came up. I think it would probably have been clear by now if he been that out of the loop mentally. Some families deny things like that to really bizarre degrees, but the shrink wouldn't have, imho.

The bullies would have taunted him for it, too, imho. The whole school would know. We had a kid in middle school who made some statements/comments to friends that indicated that he was sexually attracted to his own sister. He had no clue that was a taboo. Oh, everyone heard about that. Really bizarre beliefs spread around the rumor mill about as fast as anything can, imho.

Oftentimes, the parents probably could have been aware of it if the kid is messed up but not devious about covering up their dysfunctions (imho).

IMO its a leap to say that those of us who have broached the discussion of what IMO is quite the obvious...EXCESSIVE NEGATIVE ANYTHING = NEGATIVE IMPACT.. and that absolutely particular media such as games, *advertiser censored*, interactive playgrounds that contain extremely violent, deviant and sexually explicit content when viewed and participated in EXCESSIVELY very much do have very NEGATIVE IMPACTS..

So IMO to make the leap that it somehow equates us blaming these type media or stating that it is these type medias that create or make sadistic predators is just not even remotely accurate.. Its just false.. It is NOT being stated that EXCESSIVE INVOLVEMENT IN EXTREMELY VIOLENT, DEVIANT, AND SEXUALLY EXPLICIT MEDIA "creates" sadistic predatory monsters such as IMO ARS is.. It does not create or make these individuals monsters..that issue obviously goes much deeper(and has also been thoroughly discussed alongside negative impacts of excessively explicit media)..

But IMO to deny that these negative impacts are not real, not valid, and just simply over exaggerated opinions is IMO just plain turning a complete blind eye to the truth..that truth being that absolutely these type excessive immersions into these worlds of extremely violent, sexually explicit including acts of torture, binding, and rape of males/females of ALL AGES(small children-adults) are ABSOLUTELY CONTRIBUTING FACTORS of predatory killers, rapists, etc..

Again when looked at simply on the basis that excessive use or involvement of anything negative = negative consequences and impacts, period.. Imo its a blatant denial or turning a blind eye to what is absolutely ONE OF MANY contributing factors that are found time and time again to have a strong place and influence in sadistic, predatory offenders backgrounds..

No one is making a claim that *advertiser censored* and video games creates and makes predatory criminals and imo its far more than a leap to proclaim that nonsense is what any of us are stating.

I agree with much of what you are saying in the post above.
I do think it is odd that more young people are committing these kind of horrific acts.

However, before the internet existed, people like Ted Bundy and Dahmer, Charles Xng, etc. were performing similar atrocities. I would like to see some honest statistical research(ha ha good one I know...), or at least analysis without an agenda, to demonstrate the full spectrum of these incidents. If we could see that the numbers may be dropping, but the criminals are in a much different age bracket, that would be helpful information.

I happen to believe that one of the major problems in our society which contributes to the swelling numbers of kids who are interested in this violent material, is the sexually repressed environment we live in. Yes, the United States, on the surface a country in which sexual metaphor can be found in all kinds of advertising (including hamburgers), is sexually repressed.
All day long, violence of one sort or another is replayed on news programs. At the same time, Janet Jackson's exposed nipple is cause for public outcry, huge fines, the involvement of the Supreme Court, and congressional hearings. The fact that the simple exposure of a woman's nipple created so many problems is ridiculous. It is a breast. Babies often nurse on breasts. Men can show off their tatas in public, so why is a little extra fatty tissue a big deal? If I was from a foreign country and I heard about this incident, I would immediately think the U.S. lived under the guidance of some very puritanical rules.

My point is that those things which are not given a natural comfortable place in society, will take root in the underbelly of society and become more seductive due to the repressed nature of the topic.
Sorry to ramble, I just feel as though the healthiest and quickest way to change this obsession is to stop making the human body such a big deal. It is just too confusing to be constantly bombarded with things of a sexual nature, or innuendo, but not have the comfort level to discuss them openly with people.

I'm so sorry to ask these questions but when LE said her body was not intact I never considered it being dismembered. I thought more of organs having been removed and eyeballs. So sorry to suggest this. Do we know what was found in the field and the condition of what was found? Were the organs intact?
Again, so sorry to mention this but I just can't stop thinking about them saying her body was not intact. They did not say dismembered. Bothers me.

We do not know, but considering that it has been confirmed that body parts were found in the home (some reports say confirmed as JR's, some say they don't know). But in any event I think we can put 2 +2 together and realize the body was dismembered (which has been a word used by many news organizations) and that as originally reported by some that she was dismembered. And that at least a part of her body was found in the crawlspace of the home.

I read an apology letter to JR's family and he sent a shout out to MS.
Wow! He was probably sipping on a margarita on the beach, in Mexico!
Great parenting!

Couldn't be bothered to come back from Mexico- what a burros behind!!

Watching the video of performance one racing and reading this- I'm willing to gamble AS didn't feel very high on his fathers list- seems others (and himself) were out before AS. He helped make this kid who he is IMHO!!

I won't blame either parent at this point; we don't know enough.
We know, or should know, that internet access is not limited to the computers in the home; teens can connect with the internet on all sorts of devices, they can bypass safeguards, etc...if teens want to view *advertiser censored*, they will view *advertiser censored*. Period.

His father may be on legit business in Mexico; that in itself does not make him a delinquent parent. Yes, he has a criminal past, but other parents have had criminal pasts here on WS and were not blamed for what became of their children, either as victims or perps.

His mom did the right thing when it counted, IMO. Also, if he was in counseling a few years ago, she apparently tried to the right thing then too.

The Dark Web. I have never heard of it or knew it even exsisted. I would be afraid to go there...lol
I am a person with crap luck and I can just see the feds knocking at my door as I sit here in my nightgown and bathrobe ready for bed because I have to get up at 3:45am to get ready for work.
Oh yea, I lead such an exciting life.

Lol, The Farm, I'm with you. I think I'm being very brave and challenging my comfort zone when I file a Better Business Bureau report against a scammer. :blushing: The Dark/Deep Web? Whoa! The few cases that I've followed here (Caylee Anthony, Baby Lisa Irwin and now this one) are enough to shock my sensibilities ~ But the thought that pervs purposefully group together in a place like that holds no intrigue for me ~ only a pain in my heart and a bitter, bitter taste in my mouth!!

Besides, don't know about you, but I'm not looking so great right now in my nightie and robe ~ not nearly good enough to welcome the feds! :floorlaugh:

His back yard. It looks like there's a shed and maybe a trampoline, but I think it belongs to another yard.

AustinSiggHome.jpg

There is so much talk about *advertiser censored*, but we don't even know if JR was molested. I just can't see *advertiser censored* sex jumping to murder and desacration. I am not saying it didn't, but to me sex addiction is a hormone imbalance. Am I wrong? I do realize that all the hormones work together so I guess an imbalance could send the whole mind into a tail spin. I don't think it starts with *advertiser censored*, but it starts with the reason for watching the *advertiser censored*. Am I making any sense? Hope so. JMO

Sex and the kinds of *advertiser censored* easily available on the web aren't the same thing, keep in mind!

A lot of the *advertiser censored* available is more about power, humiliation, sadism and control than normal sexual urges. Unfortunately, sexual maturity can be affected by what other variables someone introduces along with the arousal. It's a bit more Pavlovian than most human behaviors, probably because sex is sort of primitive, lol :D

I believe that some of your statements, especially regarding SSRIs, aren't quite right. Just from the perspective of someone who has studied these things as well as experienced them personally.

I don't believe I'm a mood disordered person, but I could be, but when I took zoloft it seemed to help get me motivated and ease the problems bothering me at the time. I was also going thru the change so that had an effect as well. After I had been on it about a year I started making decisions without the usual caution I normally used. I found myself in a serious situation regarding my position at work from a decision I made knowing fully what the outcome could be. I just didn't seem to care at the moment, which is completely not how I roll. Push comes to shove and I realized I was getting a bit manic so I weaned myself off of it. BTW it was given to me by my GP with no follow up.

I believe that some of your statements, especially regarding SSRIs, aren't quite right. Just from the perspective of someone who has studied these things as well as experienced them personally.

What IS super-dangerous is for medicines to be abused or carelessly used. This is not limited to SSRIs by any means.

I stated that that I have no real experience and it's just what I've heard. I thought I made that clear.

I won't blame either parent at this point; we don't know enough.
We know, or should know, that internet access is not limited to the computers in the home; teens can connect with the internet on all sorts of devices, they can bypass safeguards, etc...if teens want to view *advertiser censored*, they will view *advertiser censored*. Period.

His father may be on legit business in Mexico; that in itself does not make him a delinquent parent. Yes, he has a criminal past, but other parents have had criminal pasts here on WS and were not blamed for what became of their children, either as victims or perps.

His mom did the right thing when it counted, IMO. Also, if he was in counseling a few years ago, she apparently tried to the right thing then too.

ITA. Too many times people on the boards have blamed parents, suspected parents and even out right said they believe the parent actually committed the crime - only to find out later the information they were working with was incorrect, skewed by the media or the thought had no basis other than speculation. In some cases, the parents have given good reason to be suspect and are under the eyes of the LE, those are not the cases I am speaking of. My personal opinion is that a parent gets the benefit of doubt unless there is LE stated reason to suspect them. Bottom line, parenting is the hardest job there is, just ask any involved parent. Teens are particularly difficult as they often want more freedom than is good for them. MOST parents are doing the best they can and truly want what is best for their children. Unless given good reason, my fingers will not be pointing at a parent.

Oh I think both should have been considered adults, no doubt about that. But I do see some irony in naming 17-year olds (or even 20+ year- olds, as some have done in the case of some of the POI's in Lauren Spierer) as children, something I see here often.

18 year old Natalie Holloway was viewed as a teenager, as was her suspected 17 year old murderer. One teenager murdered another. Both were treated as children by the law. It's a moving target.

from what I've read, he has a cold stare when he's "hunting". The dog walker at the park saw it, the girls who play at Chelsea park saw it. Sounds like it was pretty obvious.

This is why it's so important to teach our children to always follow their gut! Instincts are wonderful as long as you pay attention to them.

I think he wanted to put her in the abandoned mine shaft to "visit her" and was unable to do this because of other people spotting them from the road. So what did he take from her? Hands, head? I wonder if he was familiar with the abandoned buildings of the area (with the graffiti) and hung out there.

Someone (sorry I don't remember the name) posted a photograph of a graffiti cross on one of those old buildings. It is shaped the same way as the cross that was found. Makes me wonder if he visited those buildings in the past and drew that cross there.

ETA: It was writer7 who posted those photos. I don't know how to link a post. It is post 882 in thread 17

Not normally. Most often kids are 18 when they graduate. I was 17 when I graduated but that was due to the rules for kindergarten when I was younger. At that time, you needed to be 5 yrs old by December 1st. My birthday was Dec 1 so I was the youngest in my class.
In our area of the US, the kindergarten rule is now 5 by September 1st.

Also, it is reported that Austin quit high school last year and got his GED. (General Education Equivilance Test that is showing he knew all he needed to know in order to graduate.) Although it is in some ways "equal" to a high school diploma, many employers (right or wrong) don't count the GED as equal. Many see a GED person as a "quitter" who didn't stay in school. Not always a fair assessment, as there are many reasons including medical issues, many relocations, etc that are the true reason the person chose GED.

It is also common for bright Colorado high school kids to take a college course or two during their senior year.

Generically I have compassion for AS's mother and family. Yet, at the same time, I don't know them or how they've lived. How can I trust carte blanche, their role in this tragedy. I don't mean 'direct role' as in participated in killing. But, for instance, who was the live in boyfriend? Why and how long was he there?
Did she pick better than she did when she picked the first guy?
I'm not sleuthing the guy, I'm pointing out that there was an unknown character in the picture who had influence over AS. What are his interests?

I feel compassion for the younger brother though. I hope he's salvageable. Seeing the grandparents in the hallway tugged at my heartstrings too. Although I know nothing about them, who needs this anguish in the twilight years of their lives? It's a terrible thought.

Thank you for finding that word for me!! Generically!! That's more what I mean- I'm not crying for his family like I did for JRs, but I still acknowledge that at some point he was someone's 'little boy' and that is forever lost.

His back yard. It looks like there's a shed and maybe a trampoline, but I think it belongs to another yard.

AustinSiggHome.jpg

I noticed when they showed chopper footage that there was a cooler on his back porch/deck. I am not saying it is related - just shocked "my mind went there" right away. Too much time on these cases....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member