CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct. 2012 - #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing to keep in mind in Colorado is that the laws regarding a minor having a driver's license is that anyone between the ages of 16-21 has to hold a driver's permit for 12 months and during that 12 months, the driver can ONLY drive with an adult. So, if AS's date of birth is January 17, 1995, the soonest he could have gotten a driver's permit would have been January 17, 2011 (and he'd have to have the permit a full 12 months). The soonest he could have gotten an actual driver's license would have been January 17, 2012.

It certainly doesn't mean that AS wasn't driving around prior to January 2012, I just think it may not have been very likely that any crimes that occurred prior to him having a driver's license and were further away (like the lady who went missing in July 2011 up on Highway 6 in the foothills) are probably not as likely as crimes he could have done on foot (possibly the 2010 Kentner Lake attempted abduction).

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Revenue-MV/RMV/1209548240333

He could get his teen permit at age 15 and then get his license at 16

Effective April 23, 2007 - 6 hours of Behind-the-Wheel Lessons before Drive Test:
You are required to hold your first instruction permit for at least twelve months and be at least 16 years of age before you can get a driver’s license in Colorado. This means that if you get your permit on your 15th birthday, you will have to hold the permit until your 16th birthday before you can apply for the license.

http://coloradodrivinginstitute.com/new-laws.html

He could get his teen permit at age 15 and then get his license at 16

Effective April 23, 2007 - 6 hours of Behind-the-Wheel Lessons before Drive Test:
You are required to hold your first instruction permit for at least twelve months and be at least 16 years of age before you can get a driver’s license in Colorado. This means that if you get your permit on your 15th birthday, you will have to hold the permit until your 16th birthday before you can apply for the license.

http://coloradodrivinginstitute.com/new-laws.html

The State of Colorado, Department of Revenue (website below) does not talk at all about a 15 year old being able to get a permit and my oldest sons weren't able to do so until they were 16. (shrugs). Oh wait, I see it now. So I guess there is a chance that AS could have had a permit. I'll just shut up now.

The State of Colorado, Department of Revenue (website below) does not talk at all about a 15 year old being able to get a permit and my oldest sons weren't able to do so until they were 16. (shrugs). Oh wait, I see it now. So I guess there is a chance that AS could have had a permit. I'll just shut up now.

Teen Drivers

Getting ready to drive: Getting your permit?
Select your age:

15 years - 15 years, 6 months

15 years, 6 months - 16 years

16 years - 21 years

To Get a License...

Hold your permit for at least 12 months
Be at least 16 years old
Complete and sign a drive time log
Get a 6-hour behind the wheel certificate if you are younger than 16 years, 6 months
Pass a drive test
Know your social security number
Show your proof of address

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Revenue-MV/RMV/1177024843056

Here's another good article.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/jessica-ridgeway-killing-suspect-faces-17-charges/story?id=17599507

ABC affiliate KMGH reports that eight members of Ridgeway's family were in the courtroom for the arraignment, all dressed in the 10-year-old's favorite color, purple. Sarah Ridgeway, Jessica's mother, wore a white T shirt decorated with eagle wings carrying a purple ribbon. The shirt bore the phrase "Justice for Jessica."

When the sexual assault charge was read, Sarah Ridgeway put her head down.

On the opposite side of the courtroom, Sigg's parents sat a few rows behind their son, keeping his younger brother between them. At one point Mindy Sigg rubbed her ex-husband's back. Rob Sigg appeared to mutter several prayers to himself before and throughout hearing.

At the end of the hearing, Sigg's mother, father and younger brother all sat with their heads down.

I'm still not convinced about AS being the person responsible for Amy Ahonen but I guess it is possible.

She did happen to go missing right after a holiday, which seems to be part of AS's M.O.

Body of young woman found in Clear Creek
By Jordan Steffen
The Denver PostWheat Ridge police are investigating the death of a young woman whose body was found Wednesday morning in Clear Creek.
The body was spotted by a person walking a dog on the greenbelt path just north of the swollen creek, said Lt. Dave Pickett, police spokesman.
Officers found the woman's body in the area near 10400 W. 44th Ave.
After the woman's body was pulled from the creek, investigators determined that she was in her 20s.
She was wearing shorts and a T-shirt, and police do not believe she was involved in a water-recreation accident.
There were no outward signs of trauma to the body, Pickett said.
The case is being investigated as a suspicious death.
The Jefferson County Coroner's Office identified the woman Wednesday afternoon but is withholding her name until family members are notified. The cause of death has yet to be determined.
Officials could not say how long the woman may have been in the creek. She has not been connected to any missing-person reports.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_18381728?source=bb#ixzz2AWwVadXX

c3gwn.jpg

I thought child murderers such as AS are mostly in solitary and not general?

I forgot where I 'heard" the info but I think CO doesn't segregate the prisoners unless they do something that causes them to go in solitary or if they are on the DP, I believe no matter the crime you go in gen. pop...

I am guessing that since he grabbed her by force and then got possession of her backpack, that counts as taking her backpak by force. If wearing backpack and she was taken by force, so was backpack.

Makes sense to me.

:shrug:

I think this charge is to connect him with the placement of the backpack found on Sunday after she was kidnapped.

I forgot where I 'heard" the info but I think CO doesn't segregate the prisoners unless they do something that causes them to go in solitary or if they are on the DP, I believe no matter the crime you go in gen. pop...

Well if that is fact it is just WONDERFUL news!

I think this charge is to connect him with the placement of the backpack found on Sunday after she was kidnapped.

I had decided I wasn't going to discuss the details of what he did to her, but here I am anyway. I would think that if he raped her, he would have to remove the backpack to undress her. Since she most likely fought that, he would have to take it by force. I'm not sure if they can get a guilty verdict on that one, but I think the rest of the charges are sure to stick. I'd be very surprised if he ever sees the outside of a prison again. MOO

I think at this point they would charge him with jaywalking and spitting on the sidewalk if they could. It appears from the document that they're chasing every aspect of criminal behavior they can match to a state statute.

I'm surprised there is no charge of abuse of a corpse, but perhaps the crimes of violence charges address that. I would have thought it would have been a separate charge given what he did to her and presumably at more than one location.

I believe that "abuse of a corpse" is a misdemeanor while "violence" is a felony. I think.

Just my idea on taking the backpack by force....

Maybe in his confession he said he grabbed Jessica's book bag in his attempt to get her in the vehicle? Makes sense if he turned around and drove up behind her.

That document shows the murder charges stem from acts "On or about October 5th". Does that mean that they do believe he killed her the first day? In other words, would they use a different date based on the autopsy results? Or could the document be amended later when they are willing to release more info about the autopsy results?

I've seen that wording in many other cases.

I'm not sure why it is used but it is almost always a formality. The "on" date is always the one the prosecutor believes is the correct date and the "or about" seems to make no real difference in the courtroom.

I'm not a lawyer and I don't know why they word it that way but I can say I've seen identical wording hundreds if not thousands of times.

Just my idea on taking the backpack by force....

Maybe in his confession he said he grabbed Jessica's book bag in his attempt to get her in the vehicle? Makes sense if he turned around and drove up behind her.

I was thinking that also, that she had it on her shoulders and he grabbed her into the vehicle. If she has squirmed somehow out of that backpack we would not be having this conversation right now.

He has a November status hearing and his lawyer will also be asking to have him charged as a juvenile, so his plea won't be entered until that debate is resolved by the court.

There's a lot of lawyering that will be taking place before his counsel allows him to enter a plea.

Does anyone know if his atty was hired by any of his family members or if the state assigned one to him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drumgirl29