CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct. 2012 - #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

I saw that this morning on the local news. And this is exactly why I don't get how people around Denver or other areas where attempted abductions are being reported every week are saying how relieved and more relaxed they are now that AS has been caught.

They may have caught him but there are many many more just like him out there just waiting to do something bad to children. I for one, don't feel more at ease! I don't feel at ease for myself. I have two kids and one on the way. I'm a military wife so security is an issue for me when I'm forced to spend many nights alone. It's scary out there!

Oh, okay. You said, "There's probably a basement window below the kitchen window ... but there are no windows on the right side of the house, and there should be at least one for evacuation."

I didn't know if you had seen the other side of the house somewhere to confirm that. If you had, I was just curious if there was a pic of that side of the house somewhere. So, it's just speculation that there is only one window under the kitchen and no where else around the side of the house?

:waitasec:

In the pictures that I've seen, I didn't see any windows on the right side of the house, but maybe there were some and I couldn't see them.

JFYI, there is no permafrost in Colorado. The reasons many houses have basements, is simply to have a place the put the furnace and ductwork.

Houses built on permafrost do not have basements. They are built entirely above ground. Again you wouldn't find that anywhere in Colorado.

It's not really important ... we know there is a basement, and maybe it's simply for convenience. Maybe the crawlspace is similarly for convenience. There does seem to be some permafrost in the area: http://nsidc.org/cryosphere/frozenground/whereis_fg.html

JFYI, there is no permafrost in Colorado. The reasons many houses have basements, is simply to have a place the put the furnace and ductwork.

Houses built on permafrost do not have basements. They are built entirely above ground. Again you wouldn't find that anywhere in Colorado.

Foundations are built deep in Colorado because the ground freezes during the winter. Permafrost is when the ground never thaws, even during the summer.

Like to know everyone's opinions of why there was a gag order directed by the Judge in this case...

I think it is to protect the integrity of the court case. I also think it is to protect the family from details of their daughter's sexual assault and murder.

Some (like me) believe Bundy started at 13 (or earlier). Can't remember the neighbor girl of his who was killed, unsolved.

That is what I remember, too, PMLsmom. Here is what I found:

"By age eight he was killing animals, taking apart animals, setting animals on fire and taking little girls into the woods to urinate on them," says Morris. "By 14, when Ann Burr disappeared, he was prowling neighborhoods, prowling on his bike, peeping through windows, stealing."

Author: Ted Bundy was capable of killing Tacoma child as teen ...

ARS is no Bundy, certainly, but the author of the book where the above quote is taken, thinks that Bundy was responsible for his 8-year-old neighbor's death. Bundy's childhood was certainly not perfect, but it seemed to me, neither was it a horror-show. Bundy was, well, Bundy...

Just a thought....

I think Otto meant ground freezing not permafrost.

In areas where the ground freezes in the winter you have to have a foundation deep enough to keep the ground under the house from freezing. Other wise you get ground heaving which can affect the stability of the building.

As I said, I live in Florida where this is not a problem but I've watched "This Old House" as long as they've been on the air and they have dealt with it in many of their NE projects.

Here is an article on frost heaving and foundations for more technical information: http://www.concretenetwork.com/conc...ow_footings/frost_actions_and_foundations.htm

That is what I remember, too, PMLsmom. Here is what I found:

"By age eight he was killing animals, taking apart animals, setting animals on fire and taking little girls into the woods to urinate on them," says Morris. "By 14, when Ann Burr disappeared, he was prowling neighborhoods, prowling on his bike, peeping through windows, stealing."

Author: Ted Bundy was capable of killing Tacoma child as teen ...

ARS is no Bundy, certainly, but the author of the book where the above quote is taken, thinks that Bundy was responsible for his 8-year-old neighbor's death. Bundy's childhood was certainly not perfect, but it seemed to me, neither was it a horror-show. Bundy was, well, Bundy...

Just a thought....

I have red several books about Bundy and his life was a horror show.

How common would those garage doors be in a place like Colorado, with snow, rain and extreme temperatures?

--------------
Otto, they are very common in Ohio where we have the same conditions." if you dont like te weather in Ohio, wait 5 minutes it will change.":floorlaugh:

I saw that this morning on the local news. And this is exactly why I don't get how people around Denver or other areas where attempted abductions are being reported every week are saying how relieved and more relaxed they are now that AS has been caught.

They may have caught him but there are many many more just like him out there just waiting to do something bad to children. I for one, don't feel more at ease! I don't feel at ease for myself. I have two kids and one on the way. I'm a military wife so security is an issue for me when I'm forced to spend many nights alone. It's scary out there!

Just remember that the news follows the motto: "If it bleeds - it leads." They don't report about the thousands of children who made it to school safely today because it isn't sensational. You don't have to completely let down your guard, be aware of your surroundings and careful. Just don't let the news and too much time on forums like this make you think the whole world is unsafe and a predator is lurking on every corner.

I know with this case, I am just at ease knowing this particular predator cannot hurt anyone else.

Just remember that the news follows the motto: "If it bleeds - it leads." They don't report about the thousands of children who made it to school safely today because it isn't sensational. You don't have to completely let down your guard, be aware of your surroundings and careful. Just don't let the news and too much time on forums like this make you think the whole world is unsafe and a predator is lurking on every corner.

I know with this case, I am just at ease knowing this particular predator cannot hurt anyone else.

Honestly that is hard to do lately with the home invasions and attempted abductions right in my area. My neighbors daughter was actually chased down a couple of weeks ago by a guy that was following her in a car. The driver stopped the car, the passenger got out and opened the hatch and took off after her. She ran and found a group of friends. The guys took off. Then there are at least 3 other attempted abductions within 5 minutes of my house from the past few months. They aren't all in the news.

I can't let my 9 yr old ride his scooter out in front of the house on the sidewalk because now I know it would be too easy for someone to scoop him up like Jessica was in broad daylight. No amount of "stranger danger" talk will save him from physical force and the element of surprise. He used to go to the community park right behind our house but now I feel letting him go is taking a huge chance. With everything going on lately, my attitude on safety has changed! How can it not when you have small kids and you would absolutely die if anything ever happened to them??

Honestly that is hard to do lately with the home invasions and attempted abductions right in my area. My neighbors daughter was actually chased down a couple of weeks ago by a guy that was following her in a car. The driver stopped the car, the passenger got out and opened the hatch and took off after her. She ran and found a group of friends. The guys took off. Then there are at least 3 other attempted abductions within 5 minutes of my house from the past few months. They aren't all in the news.

I can't let my 9 yr old ride his scooter out in front of the house on the sidewalk because now I know it would be too easy for someone to scoop him up like Jessica was in broad daylight. No amount of "stranger danger" talk will save him from physical force and the element of surprise. He used to go to the community park right behind our house but now I feel letting him go is taking a huge chance. With everything going on lately, my attitude on safety has changed! How can it not when you have small kids and you would absolutely die if anything ever happened to them??

I felt like that 20 years ago when my kids were little, which is why I went with them to the park.

99% of children grow up just fine and dandy, whether their parents were hypervigilant or not.

The ones who aren't are usually victims in the home. :(

Thankfully, random acts are very rare.

My neighbour used to let her 2 year old ride up and down a main street in just his nappy on a toddler bike (at least once completely naked) while she was inside doing whatever, with no concern at all. I used to have conniptions about it but he's grown up just fine too. No one once ever tried to abduct him nor any of his brothers, nor any of the other feral roaming little kids we have had in the neighbourhood over the years.

:dunno:

Take the precautions you can, like not letting your kids take stupid risks like the above, teach your kids safe behaviours, learn them yourself, keep an eye on your neighbourhood, ask questions, be nosy, aware of strange vehicles etc.

It's all you can do really, and I used to find it helped me cope with the mummy anxiety, of which I still have ample. It doesn't go away no matter how big your kids get, but it does abate somewhat.

That old saying is "God can't be everywhere at once, that's why he made mothers" is very true.

:cow:

Could you give me a first name? A quick google on Baumgartner murder is all about a member of a gang that robbed an armored truck in Alberta Canada and killed three of the security guards. Doesn't seem to fit your comment above.

Herb baumeister?

I felt like that 20 years ago when my kids were little, which is why I went with them to the park.

99% of children grow up just fine and dandy, whether their parents were hypervigilant or not.

The ones who aren't are usually victims in the home. :(

Thankfully, random acts are very rare.

My neighbour used to let her 2 year old ride up and down a main street in just his nappy on a toddler bike (at least once completely naked) while she was inside doing whatever, with no concern at all. I used to have conniptions about it but he's grown up just fine too. No one once ever tried to abduct him nor any of his brothers, nor any of the other feral roaming little kids we have had in the neighbourhood over the years.

:dunno:

Take the precautions you can, like not letting your kids take stupid risks like the above, teach your kids safe behaviours, learn them yourself, keep an eye on your neighbourhood, ask questions, be nosy, aware of strange vehicles etc.

It's all you can do really, and I used to find it helped me cope with the mummy anxiety, of which I still have ample. It doesn't go away no matter how big your kids get, but it does abate somewhat.

That old saying is "God can't be everywhere at once, that's why he made mothers" is very true.

:cow:

Yes, you are probably right. I guess I should add in the fact that I know what it's like to lose a child (not by the hand of someone else, but traumatic none the less) and it's not a grief I EVER want to go through again. My case may be a little different since I'm especially afraid of losing a child again, you know? While I know some of the grief Jessica's parents are going through, I definitely don't pretend to know all of it. Seriously, I would absolutely die of heart ache if something so horrible happened to one of my daughters (I have 3 in all) or my son! Losing a child is a horrible thing to have to live through.

Anyways, once again, you are right. You remain aware and smart as a parent and pray that nothing will ever happen to your family like that and in the grand scheme of things, the statistics are small. But I've been a statistic, so I worry.

Yes, you are probably right. I guess I should add in the fact that I know what it's like to lose a child (not by the hand of someone else, but traumatic none the less) and it's not a grief I EVER want to go through again. My case may be a little different since I'm especially afraid of losing a child again, you know? While I know some of the grief Jessica's parents are going through, I definitely don't pretend to know all of it. Seriously, I would absolutely die of heart ache if something so horrible happened to one of my daughters (I have 3 in all) or my son! Losing a child is a horrible thing to have to live through.

Anyways, once again, you are right. You remain aware and smart as a parent and pray that nothing will ever happen to your family like that and in the grand scheme of things, the statistics are small. But I've been a statistic, so I worry.

So sorry for your loss, I cannot imagine how that must feel.

:rose:

I hope you don't find this offensive but the statistics say you are even less likey to go through something so horrific a second time, if lightening has already struck once. I feel sure it will be so for you and your family. x

Foundations are built deep in Colorado because the ground freezes during the winter. Permafrost is when the ground never thaws, even during the summer.

I agree.

<respectfully snipped for space and clarity> You're right, nikb... sorry if I get so emotional or passionate in my comments...
Had a cat named sox, was killed and devoured by a mountain lion. He was a racoon/ferral cat mix. Best pet I ever had..<snipped for space>

(sorry for the delayed reply, I'm catching up)

:( I'm so sorry to hear that about Sox, as a fellow animal lover. I can't even imagine. Re the emotional/passionate please don't be sorry, I don't blame you! I've done the same here a few times. We're talking about some pretty horrifying things, it's bound to happen. Hugs, (((Foxfire)))

Hey, I worry right along with you. All the time.

(sorry for the delayed reply, I'm catching up)

:( I'm so sorry to hear that about Sox, as a fellow animal lover. I can't even imagine. Re the emotional/passionate please don't be sorry, I don't blame you! I've done the same here a few times. We're talking about some pretty horrifying things, it's bound to happen. Hugs, (((Foxfire)))

I'm with you my friends!
This is why we are here! We care! Very deeply!
Thank you for sharing!

I guess I should tell another story. My experience with coyotes.
I own dogs whom I love very much and spoil.
One morning I went outside and called for "wags". He didn't respond. I saw him lying there on the grass, but he didn't respond. Obviously his name would tell that his response was happy. I thought he was sick. I ran over to him and saw that he had been gutted. Skeleton and fur left.
Because of other history at our home with a violent stalker, we had prior set up cameras around our home. Anyway, we watched the film. ithe kill was swift and also awful to watch. A coyote had cornered my Wags. Then very quickly killed him with the intent for food.
My point is......coyotes do not chop animals in half. How could they? They are after ther kill for food. They have no reason to cut in half. They paralyze quickly, kill, gut. I watched it on my cameras.
The cat that belonged to the neighbor that was cut in half was done by a human with a weapon that could cut in half.
Imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member