CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I truly believe the days of children walking alone to school and other things that I did as a child are over and have been for some time now. It is a different world where murderers, child abusers and all the scum of the earth have rights. They are the protected ones.
It makes me sick that children today can not grow up the way I did. Playing in the woods with a bag lunch, we would be out there all day playing all kinds of things. Oh we had so much fun. Then home for supper and outside again.
My parents were strict and we lived on a dead end street, all the parents watched us. But I will say my mother walked us to school as we lived to close for busing. So I guess they were on guard even in the 60's to some extent.

The Farm, An eyeopener: STRANGER DANGER - CHILD ABDUCTIONS : Would Anyone Help Your Child When Being Abducted?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7dfkZKjWSo"]STRANGER DANGER - CHILD ABDUCTIONS : Would Anyone Help Your Child When Being Abducted? - YouTube[/ame]

Perhaps this was already discussed, but I didn't see any mention of it. Does anyone know why Mom "couldn't" go to the vigil? I recall in the family statement that she said, "I can't go.". CAN'T is a powerful word and I was wondering why she couldn't, as opposed to wouldn't go. I'd think that a parent would want to be at her missing daughter's vigil. I'm not casting judgement; I'm truly curious. Perhaps it is because she just couldn't bring herself to do so but I would think that it would be easier to go pray and hope for her safe return than to face the cameras and an interviewer. I wonder if LE for some reason, told her she couldn't go? Why on earth "couldn't" she go? I see no reason why a Mom wouldn't "want" to go, and she used the word "couldn't"....

here is a thread for timeline and media links/no discussion.
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8436773#post8436773"]CO Jessica Ridgeway Amber Alert: Timeline and Media thread - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Feel free to add any maps, links, etc there.

Perhaps this was already discussed, but I didn't see any mention of it. Does anyone know why Mom "couldn't" go to the vigil? I recall in the family statement that she said, "I can't go.". CAN'T is a powerful word and I was wondering why she couldn't, as opposed to wouldn't go. I'd think that a parent would want to be at her missing daughter's vigil. I'm not casting judgement; I'm truly curious. Perhaps it is because she just couldn't bring herself to do so but I would think that it would be easier to go pray and hope for her safe return than to face the cameras and an interviewer. I wonder if LE for some reason, told her she couldn't go? Why on earth "couldn't" she go? I see no reason why a Mom wouldn't "want" to go, and she used the word "couldn't"....

I'm not sure I would be able to go either. I've been following the April Jones case very closely and April's parents did not attend any of the big public events. Some people would take solace in that sort of thing, others would find them a living nightmare.

She may have meant, "I can't (bring myself to) go" "I can't (face) go(ing)". She may feel she can't go in case the phone rings, or Jessica comes to the door and she's not there.

The Farm, An eyeopener: STRANGER DANGER - CHILD ABDUCTIONS : Would Anyone Help Your Child When Being Abducted?

That video was shocking. I want to point out something, that perhaps others are too worried to mention. I am Caucasion. WAY too many people stereotype people into "groups", which is unfair. I thought it was interesting that most all of the people who walked by, appeared to be what many would consider "professional" or were parents (or appeared to be of parent age). Some even had their kid with them. BUT - the ONLY two people who stopped to help were younger, were of a minority group, and were of the appearance that many might consider to be "unprofessional". I would bet, that given the chance of meeting in a dark alley, either the woman who said she just walked by thinking someone else would step up to help, or the two young African American boys, many people might say they would have felt safer meeting the woman. What a shame. Things like this really are testaments to me about people in general and about how stereotypes are so unfair.

That is terrifying that most people looked and kept walking, FFS how could those people ignore a childs cries like that, how would they feel if they found out later the girl had been abducted.

I'm even more disgusted with so called civilised people

Yep, aust amateur sleuth, very digusting...
Sexual Predators are very Brazen, opportunists, and no location is immune from them acting out their deviant behavior.
A happy ending to a Walmart abduction attempt: Authorities say a 7-year-old Britanee Baxter recalled her stranger danger training and was able to get away from a parolee who tried to abduct her at a Walmart store in west Georgia. Feb 11, 2012

Little girl thwarts attempted kidnapping
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=hbvn_HFHuxA&feature=endscreen

I think it's natural that we're all going to get our own "vibe" from the family interview....IMO, dad seems 110% genuine in his grief....harder to get a read on the mom....but one thing I DON'T feel is that she is the sneaky/lying type. I definitely felt that about Baby Lisa's mom....but not about Sara Ridgeway. Just my thoughts on it.

I agree I felt really horrible for dad you could hear his heart breaking.
I couldnt get a vibe on Mom one way or the other. It could just be her way of copeing!

See I have the vision of Diena Thompson etched in my head forever.

I truly believe the days of children walking alone to school and other things that I did as a child are over and have been for some time now. It is a different world where murderers, child abusers and all the scum of the earth have rights. They are the protected ones.
It makes me sick that children today can not grow up the way I did. Playing in the woods with a bag lunch, we would be out there all day playing all kinds of things. Oh we had so much fun. Then home for supper and outside again.
My parents were strict and we lived on a dead end street, all the parents watched us. But I will say my mother walked us to school as we lived to close for busing. So I guess they were on guard even in the 60's to some extent.

How did murderers have no rights 30-40-50 years ago? There are so many convicted killers being released today because they were only sentenced to only 30-40-50 years in jail back then.

New here, hello everyone. Sorry we have to meet in such upsetting circumstances.

I've been following this case very closely, and it really hits home. I have a 7-year-old daughter that acts very mature for her age. I just watched her get onto the school bus and couldn't help but think of sweet Jessica. It's times like these that we hold our children close with a fear of letting go.

I'll try not to be such a lurker and join in whenever possible.

Police continue to search for missing 10-year-old Westminster girl Jessica Ridgeway on Wednesday, investigating tips and ruling out areas near her home.
At a 6:30 a.m. news conference, Westminster Police Department spokesman Trevor Materasso said crews will continue land searches Wednesday and a dive team will continue to search nearby bodies of water as a precaution. He said police are working to rule out possible places Jessica could be.
Part of those precautions include some police activity at a nearby landfill. Materasso said police have secured the trash that was collected from the area around the time of the girl's disappearance, but are not actively searching through the garbage at this time.
Additional people have been brought on board to handle the large number of tips generated in the case -- more than 650 have been received via phone and e-mail, Materasso said. The tips are prioritized and pursued, however, police do not have any updated information on any possible suspects or vehicles that may have been involved

Read more: Land, water searches continue as authorities look for missing girl Jessica Ridgeway - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...e-authorities-look-missing-girl#ixzz28txDjC2G
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

-----------

I'm not sure I would be able to go either. I've been following the April Jones case very closely and April's parents did not attend any of the big public events. Some people would take solace in that sort of thing, others would find them a living nightmare.

She may have meant, "I can't (bring myself to) go" "I can't (face) go(ing)". She may feel she can't go in case the phone rings, or Jessica comes to the door and she's not there.

Didnt she say she cant go out to the searches also that the rest of the family goes?

I worked 12 hour nights and it was so different for me. When I got home in the morning I was wide awake and actually got a lot of housework done before I hit the sack. Coworker moms were the same way. Once you are used to it, it's like working any shift. Do folks who work 6am to 6pm go right to bed when they get home?

At 4:30pm when mom learned Jessica was missing she drove around the neighborhood looking for her. Was she alone? Where are gma and auntie?

I worked nights off and on for years, and worked many 12 hour nights, 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. I pulled some 16 hour shifts too. I disagree that it's like working any shift. Working nights and sleeping days goes against your body clock.
No, most people who work days don't go to bed at 6 p.m. But most people who work nights try to sleep while the rest of the family is out of the house, from early that morning until late in the afternoon. Then they're up for several hours before time to go back to work, so they're tired before they start their shift. By the time they get off the next morning, it feels like they've been awake for a week.
When I worked nights, I wanted to be awake in the evenings so I could be with my family. Some people may have the luxury of being able to sleep right up until time to go to work, like daytime workers do. Most don't, however.
For those who have a daytime job, try setting your alarm at midnight and then go about your household duties for 6 or 7 hours before you go to work at 8 a.m. and then work all day. It makes a world of difference.

How did murderers have no rights 30-40-50 years ago? There are so many convicted killers being released today because they were only sentenced to only 30-40-50 years in jail back then.

Because they need the jail space for the Lindnsey Lohan's and Martha Stewarts of the world

That video was shocking. I want to point out something, that perhaps others are too worried to mention. I am Caucasion. WAY too many people stereotype people into "groups", which is unfair. I thought it was interesting that most all of the people who walked by, appeared to be what many would consider "professional" or were parents (or appeared to be of parent age). Some even had their kid with them. BUT - the ONLY two people who stopped to help were younger, were of a minority group, and were of the appearance that many might consider to be "unprofessional". I would bet, that given the chance of meeting in a dark alley, either the woman who said she just walked by thinking someone else would step up to help, or the two young African American boys, many people might say they would have felt safer meeting the woman. What a shame. Things like this really are testaments to me about people in general and about how stereotypes are so unfair.

Thank you, I was too nervous to mention ethnicity, minority group or color, some take umbrage and consider it to be racism instead of realising it's only a description. People come in different sizes, shapes, hair and eye colours and we should be able to embrace all honest descriptions equally without fear of upsetting anyone.

All people are so very different. Some cold, some warm. Sometimes it is hard to peg them when they are in dure straights which I would have to be heavily sedated with morphine and in a straight jacket if this were me.
Now how would that look?
My thoughts exactly. I think it's difficult to judge the parents by their behavior, because we really can't know how we would behave in this situation. We think we know...but unless we've walked in those shoes, how could we? To be fair, we cannot.

The only difference between now and then is that we have the Internet and the 24/7 media to hear about all these cases....

To me, things seems contradictory. They say they're conducting searches on land and in water as a "precaution". Then they state that they have secured garbage but aren't going through it yet. If searches are merely "precautionary", then that says they think it's more likely (or hopeful) that she's alive. However, if she's alive and if someone local has her (or even if someone local did have her and killed her), I'd think that they'd want to be searching that garbage sooner, rather than later, for clues. Because they are not doing this, I get the feeling they already have a POI in mind, whom they're not mentioning....

KDVR FOX31 Denver ‏@KDVR
Police: We have no reason to believe #JessicaRidgeway isn't alive and well. Get more real-time updates from the search: http://bit.ly/SIvgCk
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member