CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finding Jessica's backpack like this reminds me of when Morgan Harrington's t-shirt was found in a highly traveled, student-populated area near UVA (where Morgan had been at a concert) in November after Morgan went missing that October. Morgan's body was found quite a bit away from campus at Archer Farms the following January. Was the shirt a distraction a month into her disappearance? Had it been there but somehow been over-looked even though many students walked by the place it was found daily and there was a 21-unit apartment building nearby?

Similar story with Sierra Lamar. Purse found a few days after she disappeared. But still no Sierra near the purse (or found anywhere yet).

After being a diehard Nancy Grace fan, I now admit and realize how woeful it is to have a show about the missing and it be on tape delay....how wonderful it would have been for folks to hear from her that the parents are not suspects.....not trying to bash her show but I see now how behind she was on the breaking news all those many nights I counted on her to update me.

Little Jessica you sure are on my mind baby.

Well, the people on Nancy Grace just did bring up a very interesting point. Neither parent, in spite of the fact that they were apparently in some type of child support/custody dispute, have invoked any legal representatives at this point. Seems to reinforce the earlier release that from LE that the parents have been cleared. Thank you, Lord.

When I read the words of the mother, something just stood out like she was being truthful. Thinking back to parents we strongly feel are involved in their child's harm, this lady stood apart. Hearing the parents were cleared is a blessing. I was taking a break from WS for my sanity, but this little sweetie brought me back. Praying for her safe return.

I'm confused. There is little mention of the fact that a tracking dog traced the scent of the backpack between the final location of where it was found, and a local elementary school (not JR's school).

Bearing in mind, due to the nature and timing of the events, that this must have happened on a weekend, how do we explain it? i.e. unlikely to be a school student who discovered the bag, took it to school with them, and then returned it.

Was the backpack walked *from* the school to its final location? From previous reports it sounds like it was traced *from* the final location, *to* the school, and then *back* to the final location. Could this explain any possible time discrepancies between when JR went missing, and reporting of the backpack being found?

This chain of events perplexes me. Thoughts anyone?

Why do you think it's unlikely a kid picked it up and took it to school and then brought it back? Maybe the news of Jessica's disappearance made a student put it back where it was found? Just a thought.

That Rock Creek neighborhood is alive with people and kids running around. The backpack was NOT seen at 6:45PM on Saturday evening. I remember hearing that kids had been out playing football in that area on Saturday. They would have seen the bag.

For it to NOT be seen, it means someone looked for it at that exact location at that time. We are all free to speculate, I was just pointing out that it is POSSIBLE that the bag had been there since Friday. There are plenty of possibilities, I just hadn't seen that one posted.

Why do you think it's unlikely a kid picked it up and took it to school and then brought it back? Maybe the news of Jessica's disappearance made a student put it back where it was found? Just a thought.

I don't think a kid could keep that quiet for so many days. Also would have had to hide it all day Saturday, if he brought it back from school on Friday. I think the kid or kids would have cracked and told their parents by now.

After being a diehard Nancy Grace fan, I now admit and realize how woeful it is to have a show about the missing and it be on tape delay....how wonderful it would have been for folks to hear from her that the parents are not suspects.....not trying to bash her show but I see now how behind she was on the breaking news all those many nights I counted on her to update me.

Little Jessica you sure are on my mind baby.

Yes, the tape delay is really bad in these cases with so much breaking news. I am glad she keeps these missing children in the news, but all the errors do bother me. Probably it's not important in the grand scheme of things, but it does bug me.

Westminster Police ‏@WestminsterPD
BREAKING NEWS: PIOs now being briefed. There will be a press briefing at 7:30 at Westy PD. #jessicaridgeway

That Rock Creek neighborhood is alive with people and kids running around. The backpack was NOT seen at 6:45PM on Saturday evening. I remember hearing that kids had been out playing football in that area on Saturday. They would have seen the bag.
How do we know they didn't see it? IIRC there was talk by the person who emailed it in saying that there was stuff laying around all the time. So, maybe it was there and nobody thought anything of it at the time. Possible maybe. (Actually definitely possible, as this summer there was a little pink backpack sitting at the corner of the street nearby my house for 3 days. I knew who it belonged to and that they were accounted for, but it was interesting to see how long it was there for.)

I'm confused. There is little mention of the fact that a tracking dog traced the scent of the backpack between the final location of where it was found, and a local elementary school (not JR's school).

Bearing in mind, due to the nature and timing of the events, that this must have happened on a weekend, how do we explain it? i.e. unlikely to be a school student who discovered the bag, took it to school with them, and then returned it.

Was the backpack walked *from* the school to its final location? From previous reports it sounds like it was traced *from* the final location, *to* the school, and then *back* to the final location. Could this explain any possible time discrepancies between when JR went missing, and reporting of the backpack being found?

This chain of events perplexes me. Thoughts anyone?

How about someone that works at both schools or has reason to be at both schools. Maybe met Jessica at her school

I don't think a kid could keep that quiet for so many days. Also would have had to hide it all day Saturday, if he brought it back from school on Friday. I think the kid or kids would have cracked and told their parents by now.

Maybe they did tell their parents. LE doesn't have to tell how the pack got there just like they aren't telling us what's inside the pack. 50/50 odds the backpack placement is a red herring. MOO

Did I hear on NG that it's confirmed Jessica did not have a cell phone?

You all seem to be missing the significance of the backpack:

The perp is toying with police. It was a clear "catch me if you can" message to them. There was absolutely NO reason to leave the backpack on a neighborhood sidewalk. It could have been placed in the trash where it would likely never be found. Instead, police have a piece of evidence where forensics will come into play: hair, fibers, DNA? etc. The fact the perp left it so it could be found indicates to me he has done this before. Leaving the backpack on a sidewalk is not the act of someone worried about being caught. It is an act of defiance to police. I'm sure the FBI profilers are looking at this as well.

Second, police said they won't discuss the contents of the backpack, when they could have just said, "Yes, her water bottle was in it." This indicates something was in the backpack they don't want to discuss or don't want getting out to the public. I'm guessing a cryptic note or an item of clothing. If it was only her water bottle and books, why wouldn't they have just said what was in it?

I base this on my previous work as a private investigator.

This is exactly what I mean. I don't think the sightings in Maine are going to pan out. It seems a bit ridiculous that a person drove all the way across country in a bright blue easily distinguishable car with her sitting up for the world to see. The perp has to know that her face is being plastered everywhere. All he had to do was take off her glasses and tuck her hair up into a boys baseball cap and put on a boys shirt and he's in the clear.

There's something to this backpack. It reminds me of the BTK murder Dennis Rader and how he left packages for the cops.

Good point. I only say it is unlikely if it happened on a weekend. If the backpack was left there on the Friday (day JR went missing), then perhaps it *was* picked up by a school student and later brought back - but that doesn't explain why it was only discovered on the Sunday, unless the student kept it at their house for a day or two - but surely the dog would have traced it to another location.

It may be possible that a local child/youth discovered the backpack on the weekend while heading to the school to play sport, which may explain why the backpack was not discovered until the Sunday.

Bottom line is, I can't explain it, but am hoping sleuths better than me might be able to work out a likely explanation. It just seems unlikely any abductor would walk the backpack between the school and the final location - hence it seems likely someone else had found it, moved it, and possibly returned it. Regardless, it sounds like that person has not come forward...

Does anyone know if the 7:30 briefing was planned? I don't remember other pressers being held at night in this case, but I could be wrong...

Westminster Police ‏@WestminsterPD
BREAKING NEWS: PIOs now being briefed. There will be a press briefing at 7:30 at Westy PD. #jessicaridgeway

BBMis that plural?
and right there in their own town????:great:

Pio means public information officers...I'm pretty sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx