CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It must have been dark when the backpack was left, right? So a car pulling over to do this would see any other headlights behind or in front of him; wait until they were gone, leave the backpack and again wait until all clear and take off. I never notice cars pulled over on my street except to avoid hitting them. It would only take about 30-60 seconds.

Jessica's case is on NG right now. Man, this woman needs volume control... :what: jmo

I don't know about the Elizabeth Collins case. But the part that doesn't make sense to me is the sightings in Maine and the finding of the bag two days later. Obviously it was put there days after the abduction. So that's what doesn't make sense.

ETA the bikes in the Collins case were found in the middle of a wooden area that was concealed from site by trees deep in a path that came up against a fence beyond which is the highway.

Dumping stuff there makes perfect sense to me. Its what I wrote about in my first post on this.

I don't see the comparison at all?

I mean...I think the only real reason is a diversion, to get LE to look in the wrong area. The neighborhood is right next to the open space, so they spent lots of time looking there when she could be closer to home.

NG reports there was a sighting of a light blue station wagon with Colorado plates & a little girl matching Jessica's description in the back seat 40 miles west of Bangor (sp?), Maine.

Forgive me if already posted!

That's a great picture Zola thanks for posting it again. I do see the similarities and you are correct about the fencing.

What I have said (I guess I'm not explaining myself well) is that I have a problem with the finding of the back pack TWO DAYS LATER. That's what doesn't make sense to me. In the Elizabeth Collins case it seems the bikes were left there, the dogs led them to the lake etc. The girls were there.

I don't think the girl was at this location. So the back pack is a red herring of course, it is a diversion. But unless the perp is a complete idiot, I don't see how he thought it would work as a diversion by planting it two days later.

This is why I think someone found it and returned it to the scene. I think the perp put it there are the same day that he abducted her.

NG reports there was a sighting of a light blue station wagon with Colorado plates & a little girl matching Jessica's description in the back seat 40 miles west of Bangor (sp?), Maine.

Forgive me if already posted!

Lol, pages and pages...

There was a question upthread about regulations when entering Canada. What are the regulations regarding taking a child out of the US? My experience has always been that, when traveling with a young child across any border, I have had to present documents proving that the child has permission to travel with me both leaving a country and entering another country.

Yes. Documents are required. Signed document from the parent and contact information as well as ID and/or passport.

However, if the perp knows back roads he/she can avoid patrolled border crossings. I don't believe the perp would risk going through a manned Canadian border.

The only way I can see him/her crossing the border is if the perp is a Canadian and/or a resident of East Coast USA and knows his/her way across and has done this many times before.

:banghead:
BBM

That is exactly the question that was repeatedly asked about Elizabeth Collin's purple purse when it was found on the opposite side of the fence from her bike in Evansdale Iowa. Over and over again, we asked ourselves how the bikes and purse could possibly be planted because of the risk involved ... but at the same time ... the question repeatedly came up about why the children would leave their bikes, and especially the purple purse, at that location. Here we are, 3 months later, asking the very same question about the backpack.

Weren't they just on different sides of a fence, though, like they had been tossed? And found on the same day? Sorry, I didn't follow it too closely. I guess it seems like apples and oranges to me with the backpack six miles away two days later.

Has anyone checked RSO's for Maine? Any with a possible match to the sketch? Any unaccounted for?

:banghead:

Weren't they just on different sides of a fence, though, like they had been tossed? And found on the same day? Sorry, I didn't follow it too closely. I guess it seems like apples and oranges to me with the backpack six miles away two days later.

Yes and dogs put the girls at the location. I don't see the confusion with that one. The guy catches the girls, holds them at gunpoint and tells them to drop their bikes. Probably doesn't think about the cellphone. Maybe it rang or made a noise as their walking to the highway and he grabs it and throws the whole thing over a fence.

Totally different. It was dropped where they had been.

In the graphic I made (see below) please note the similarity of the roof-lines. IMHO, the perpetrator(s) was a stranger to the victim; the backpack was a red-herring; the perpetrator(s) feels comfortable loitering in a vehicle parked on the side of a street where there are no windows overlooking the perpetrator's location; the perpetrator(s) lives/lived in the neighborhood where the abduction occurred, as only the homes in that neighborhood were being searched on Saturday, October 6. According to former FBI profiler Van Zandt, the placement of the backpack may have been a red-herring to divert police away from the perpetrator(s). Because the only houses being searched on Saturday were in the victim's neighborhood, the perpetrator(s) might have left the backpack to divert police away from their residence in the victim's neighborhood.

The temperature on Saturday between 6:45pm and 1:00am was approximately 25-30 degrees fahrenheit. It seems improbable (to me) that the perpetrator(s) spent considerable time looking for a place to drop the backpack due to the increased police activity in the victim's neighborhood. Therefore, I propose that the perpetrator(s) drove purposefully to the location where the backpack was later found. This, IMHO, indicates a familiarity with the neighborhoods nearby to where the victim was abducted.

Side_of_houses_comparison_1_zpsc990095e.jpg
this is awesome thinking.

Can I add to your list?: (thinking out loud of course)

perp(s) most likely placed bag under cover of dark and on foot perhaps parking outside of the neighborhood on the elementary side of the neighborhood (could account for dogs tracking to the ES and back). Perp(s) most likely has a working knowledge of this neighborhood as well. (in keeping with what you are saying as a perfect place to set it on a side where there are no windows). It was left out in plain sight sitting upright to draw attention to it. To me that was purposefully done to shift the attention away from westminster and that neighborhood. I am betting that is why they are currently so focused on the immediate area right now. What is really scary is that the finding of the backpack DID shift a ton of manpower immediately to that area. So what was the perp doing at that time? Making a run for it? Getting rid of evidence? etc.. How would a perp most likely monitor the shift? I would say following right along online to see when the news broke.

just thinking out loud here

I don't know much about this case but noticed that Nancy Grace is covering it on HLN tonight.

This article is new on my Comcast homepage:

Authorities say they think Colo. girl was abducted

By P. SOLOMON BANDA and COLLEEN SLEVIN, AP
45 minutes ago

DENVER — The sudden disappearance of an 11-year-old Colorado girl took yet another turn Wednesday, with authorities saying they believe she was abducted.

The case has seen many twists since Jessica Ridgeway disappeared Friday. Police initially said the public did not need to fear a kidnapper — then said the case might be related to that of another girl who was abducted for several hours Monday in Wyoming.

On Wednesday afternoon, police changed course more definitively, saying they believe Jessica was kidnapped by an "unknown suspect." They also ruled out her parents as suspects.

Adding to the mystery was a reported sighting more than 2,000 miles away in Maine, in a car with Colorado license plates...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20121008/US.Missing.School.Girl/

That's a great picture Zola thanks for posting it again. I do see the similarities and you are correct about the fencing.

What I have said (I guess I'm not explaining myself well) is that I have a problem with the finding of the back pack TWO DAYS LATER. That's what doesn't make sense to me. In the Elizabeth Collins case it seems the bikes were left there, the dogs led them to the lake etc. The girls were there.

I don't think the girl was at this location. So the back pack is a red herring of course, it is a diversion. But unless the perp is a complete idiot, I don't see how he thought it would work as a diversion by planting it two days later.

This is why I think someone found it and returned it to the scene. I think the perp put it there are the same day that he abducted her.

Agree, Chewy (love the hat!), that there's no reason to believe (as in Elizabeth's case) that Jessica was in this location. But I don't agree that the perp is a complete idiot because we continue to remain confused by the diversion of why the back pack was found there two days later. . .

Zola, something I noticed from your very cool photos is that it's all right turns when driving. UPS, FedEx, etc any route drivers are trained to always make right turns. It's been shown that it cuts down on accidents and even if the route is longer, it's more time efficient because you don't wait in traffic waiting for light changes.

So, maybe a delivery type person.

I think it is possible that the backpack had been there since Friday, people are not very observant.

You all seem to be missing the significance of the backpack:

The perp is toying with police. It was a clear "catch me if you can" message to them. There was absolutely NO reason to leave the backpack on a neighborhood sidewalk. It could have been placed in the trash where it would likely never be found. Instead, police have a piece of evidence where forensics will come into play: hair, fibers, DNA? etc. The fact the perp left it so it could be found indicates to me he has done this before. Leaving the backpack on a sidewalk is not the act of someone worried about being caught. It is an act of defiance to police. I'm sure the FBI profilers are looking at this as well.

Second, police said they won't discuss the contents of the backpack, when they could have just said, "Yes, her water bottle was in it." This indicates something was in the backpack they don't want to discuss or don't want getting out to the public. I'm guessing a cryptic note or an item of clothing. If it was only her water bottle and books, why wouldn't they have just said what was in it?

I base this on my previous work as a private investigator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx