CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was 16 in the Bronx, in the Summer of Sam. I'm only posting this for those who have children living in the area and worrying how this will affect them. I actually have fond memories of that summer, because all the adults sort of made a game of it, making us always have "teams" to go places and instead of having a fearful approach it was much more straightforward. Of course, I wasn't ten, but basically we were all aware of all the news, we were told that this was not a normal time, that we had to be careful, and that summer, as we had normally known it, would not happen this year. I wasn't afraid, but I was careful, I cut my hair (we all thought his "type" was long haired), and I was not allowed the normal freedom I had. Because everyone was so upfront and honest about what was happening, I was not upset by it, or by giving up the freedoms I was pretty used to having at that age.
Parents, talk to your kids. You may think it is too gruesome, but in the long run, imaginations are far more scary than the reality.

JBR was murdered inside her house by one of her parents and the scene was then staged. Zero similarity to Jessica's case.

I know you believe this, but it is still just an opinion. And not everyone's.

I was reading again about how police won't comment on what was in Jessica's backpack. I had the horrible thought - was there a body part inside? Sick photos the perp took? Some sort of taunting note or map?

Let's not start rumors. Police almost *never* disclose what evidence they have found. This is the same in almost every case. It doesn't mean they found "something" in her backpack...it means they aren't going to give the public any details at all. They reiterated this during the press conference. All details of the case will be kept close to the vest. This is SOP. Don't read anything else into it.

Their job now, besides catching this monster, is to preserve the case for later prosecution. Everything they do is to serve those two goals. Info about the crime will not be released by police.

R.I.P baby girl.

My thoughts are with Jessica's family for having to live a parent's worst nightmare.

Godpseed FBI, Godspeed.

I understand they have to say " safety messages" etc for your kids. They cannot come right out and tell the blunt truth or they are afraid of panic. But...There is no way I would go over stranger danger and allow my child to walk right now, there is a violent nut job predator out there. I would find a carpool with other parents if need be, if i could not drive my child myself. I fear this person will strike again soon. IMHO

I agree Portabella. I would not be surprised to learn that he is a repeat offender. I would
think the "hacking" of a body and especially that of a child indicates his crimes against children have progressed over time. Doubtful that the "hacking" of a child is the work of a first time offender and if not caught his crimes will progress. Can't imagine anything more horrid than hurting a child and worse ..so it is hard for me to imagine the behavior worsening but it will.

I was 16 in the Bronx, in the Summer of Sam. I'm only posting this for those who have children living in the area and worrying how this will affect them. I actually have fond memories of that summer, because all the adults sort of made a game of it, making us always have "teams" to go places and instead of having a fearful approach it was much more straightforward. Of course, I wasn't ten, but basically we were all aware of all the news, we were told that this was not a normal time, that we had to be careful, and that summer, as we had normally known it, would not happen this year. I wasn't afraid, but I was careful, I cut my hair (we all thought his "type" was long haired), and I was not allowed the normal freedom I had. Because everyone was so upfront and honest about what was happening, I was not upset by it, or by giving up the freedoms I was pretty used to having at that age.
Parents, talk to your kids. You may think it is too gruesome, but in the long run, imaginations are far more scary than the reality.

OMG, I was there at that age too...I am 52. That was a very scary summer. That was a very disturbed dude, kinda like this case.

Oh dear...
:tears:
went out for a bit and...came back to thread moved...well, I knew where I could find it...I have no words right now...just really really sad.

On the Western slope our middle school is 5th to 8th.

I wondered about that, thanks! Always thought having 6th graders mingled with 7th & 8th graders was bad, but 5th graders?! :moo:

I can't agree with that, we (my siblings and I ) were taught never to approach anyone in a car even if we "knew" them. It doesn't make them a safe person.

R.I.P Jessica

I always worry about the tweens or teenagers walking to school with the iPods on. Can't her sombody come up behind you.

We always try and teach our little ones about stranger danger but we read about so many tragic incidents involving older children such as Jessica.

I have Life360 on both my phone and my DD's phone. It's a free app for smartphones (I think there might be a way to use it on other devices, but I'm not sure) and it is a family tracking service. Now I can always look at my phone and it will tell me exactly where my DD's phone is at any time. If I can't put a GPS chip inside her arm, I guess this is the next best thing. (I'm only half-joking about the GPS chip)

Just FYI in case anyone is interested in it.

http://www.life360.com/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20071791-1/life360-turns-your-smartphone-into-a-lifeline/

OMG. "Emergency alert system issued a child abduction emergency" just came across my screen...but it was only to cancel the Jessica Ridgeway one. :-(

I thought it was ANOTHER one and my heart jumped into my chest.

#terrified

I do not know if this has been answered, at least not that I have seen.

They are going to take a picture of the command center ,one that will show what they are doing but yet not compromise the investigation.

Should we be asking ourselves, "Why?" Who would think to ask for a photo of the command centre? Anyone here been having a burning desire to see it? (bear in mind they will be hiding anything worth seeing)

There is something behind this 'showing the command centre'. They had a reason to announce it and a reason to show it.

I have Life360 on both my phone and my DD's phone. It's a free app for smartphones (I think there might be a way to use it on other devices, but I'm not sure) and it is a family tracking service. Now I can always look at my phone and it will tell me exactly where my DD's phone is at any time. If I can't put a GPS chip inside her arm, I guess this is the next best thing. (I'm only half-joking about the GPS chip)

Just FYI in case anyone is interested in it.

http://www.life360.com/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20071791-1/life360-turns-your-smartphone-into-a-lifeline/

FYI Verizon offers this service as well on all of their customer's phones for a small fee.

Please encourage your schools and communities to NOT ALLOW outdoor trick or treating this year. The school gym or community center with lots of parents around running booths or a "trunk and treat" cookout at the school parking lot....the idea of dozens of kids running around in all directions to all kinds of houses is just toooo scary!

jmo of course

I think children should still be allowed to trick or treat, keep safety in mind and allow NO children to trick or treat alone, only with adults!

OMG. "Emergency alert system issued a child abduction emergency" just came across my screen...but it was only to cancel the Jessica Ridgeway one. :-(

I thought it was ANOTHER one and my heart jumped into my chest.

#terrified

Wow... sort of insensitive to put it as an alert like that. jmo.

I cannot convey how heartbroken I am for Jessica's mother. I understand her father also is taking this very hard. But she lived with Mom, so Mom got to see her every day, hence the bond must have been strong. I cannot even put into words how sad I feel for them. I know there is nothing we can do, but such a helpless feeling. :(

Westminster Police ‏@WestminsterPD
Chief Birk: .."with a great deal of sorrow in my heart that I regret to inform you the body found in Arvada is that of #JessicaRidgeway"

http://twitter.com/WestminsterPD

Just heard the heartbreaking news. :( I CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE how her mother feels right now. My prayers are with her and Jessica's family. NOBODY wanted this outcome. What's even scarier is that the MONSTER who did this is still at large and roaming free to do this to another child! May God guide LE to the evil demon who took this precious angel's life. I am so choked up about this :( I want this MONSTER off the streets! :mad:

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

I want to express my deepest sympathies to Jessica's family. I will never comprehend all of these sick, deranged people we have in this world that would even think about doing these hideous crimes to children or anyone for that matter. It just seems like these depraved monsters are multiplying in numbers. I will never comprehend how anyone can do this.

I know you are in a better world now, Jessica. Rest in Peace!

I agree Portabella. I would not be surprised to learn that he is a repeat offender. I would
think the "hacking" of a body and especially that of a child indicates his crimes against children have progressed over time. Doubtful that the "hacking" of a child is the work of a first time offender and if not caught his crimes will progress. Can't imagine anything more horrid than hurting a child and worse ..so it is hard for me to imagine the behavior worsening but it will.

Have LE said the body was hacked? Or was it just NG? We need to pick our words a little more carefully than she does

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members