Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MOD NOTE
THIS POST LANDS AT RANDOM:

WS is a fact-based, victim friendly true crime discussion forum and we expect all members to familiarize themselves with the rules, and post accordingly.

If at any time you're not sure what may or may not be allowed, please contact a mod with your question, instead of posting something that may not be an approved, vetted source.

Thanks everyone :)

In the last Greeley Tribune article I found the following paragraph (like most) really odd:

• In an Aug. 15, 2013, letter, he stated, “About a week after the fact I realized a blanket, or comforter, or quilt, also disappeared from the Matthews house. … Some experiences are hard to forget. But I must realize justice isn’t always served and move on.”
How could SP know this unless he took it.
Wouldn’t it be great if LE found it? With Jonelle or maybe when they dug in the yard.
Did he burn it with the car?
I haven’t heard anything in any articles mentioning a blanket etc missing. Hoping LE have some type of concrete evidence that isn’t circumstantial.
I recall JM's dad Jim told investigators he came home from the game to find his daughter's shoes, a favorite pillow, and quartz heater at home but his daughter missing.

I also don't recall reading about a blanket. I believe this was most likely something known only to the investigators and the killer. MOO

Steven Dana Pankey arrest: What we know about the Idaho man accused of kidnapping, murdering Jonelle Matthews in 1984 – Greeley Tribune

The car that he burned...when did that happen? I think it was within a couple of weeks, so during the winter, still. Was it the same car that went on the trip to California? Was it a different car that...could have been used for cold storage while a hole was dug elsewhere? What ties did he have to the property where she was found? Did he have access to equipment that could be used to dig?
IMO MOO

Reportedly, SP's wife said the Christmas trip to Calif (Big Bear Lake) was hastily planned and they left on Dec 22 and returned home Dec 26, when SP immediately began digging in their yard. A couple of days later, a vehicle on the property burst into flames, and SP disposed of the scrapped auto at a salvage yard. It seemed to me this was a different vehicle than the one driven to Big Bear Lake. MOO

Steven Dana Pankey arrest: What we know about the Idaho man accused of kidnapping, murdering Jonelle Matthews in 1984 – Greeley Tribune

@sbcjester21 : Thanks for your informative post about soil conditions in winter.

I worked with a man who lived in the Denver area. He told us there were times when he mowed his grass year round.

JMVHO.
True. I lived in Colorado when attending Univ and recall how Halloween trick or treaters could be snowed in and a few weeks later you could bbq for Thanksgiving. I also attended funeral/gravesite services during December where burials occurred without delay. MOO

Oct 17, 2020

[..]

Pankey in one public letter provided a theory of what happened, suggesting Jonelle might have been injured while with a trusted adult and died on the way to the emergency room. The adult or adults then contacted a cop friend, Pankey theorized, starting an unethical plan to conceal what happened.

“For 35 years, the Jonelle Matthews case has never been about Jonelle Matthews, it’s been about white Greeley cops covering for the bad act of a white cop,” Pankey wrote.

The indictment, however, lists a number of incriminating statements Pankey has made in the years since Jonelle’s disappearance, including:

• Demonstrating familiarity with Jonelle’s neighborhood in an interview in March 1985, when Pankey stated two police officers lived in the same block as Jonelle.
  • Discussing a crucial piece of evidence previously withheld from the public: a rake was used to hide shoe impressions in the snow.
  • Arguing if the Idaho Supreme Court ruled in a certain fashion, “It is reasonable for the appellant to believe he would get the death penalty for revealing the location of Jonelle Matthews’ body,” in a 1999 pleading.
  • Writing, “Without a deal, this case will never be solved.”
  • Repeatedly demanding immunity in exchange for information he claimed to have about Jonelle’s murder.
  • Asserting in an April 2003 pleading, “The family should be informed that Jennell (sic) died before crossing 10 st. (sic), and not to give the family hope.”
  • In an Aug. 15, 2013, letter, he stated, “About a week after the fact I realized a blanket, or comforter, or quilt, also disappeared from the Matthews house. … Some experiences are hard to forget. But I must realize justice isn’t always served and move on.”
The indictment also notes a couple of incriminating statements Hicks reported:

• During an early 1985 church service, Pankey began muttering, “False prophet,” when the minister announced Jonelle would be found safe and returned home.
  • In 1999, Pankey told Hicks, “You don’t think I could have hurt her, do you? She looked just like you.”
  • In 2008, at Pankey’s murdered son’s funeral, Pankey said, “I hope God didn’t allow this to happen because of Jonelle Matthews.”
Jonelle’s remains were found in July 2019 buried on remote land east of Greeley, about one quarter of a mile northwest of Weld County roads 34.5 and 49. The indictment notes Pankey lived about 10 miles north of the burial site in 1980, at 27965 Weld County Road 47.5.

IMO, SP attempted to incriminate several including his father-in-law that reportedly was a gravedigger, and Ross, a family friend that reportedly dropped JM off at home after her concert around 8:15pm-- about an hour before her father got home and found JM missing. To be clear, Ross and also took his own daughter home after the concert.

I don't believe SP allegedly shot JM specifically to frame others but promoted them after the fact only to take suspicion off of himself.

MOO

Autopsy report for missing Colorado girl Jonelle Matthews | 9news.com

Updated: 1:46 PM MDT June 19, 2020

A crew excavating an area in rural Weld County for a pipeline near Weld County Roads 49 and 34 1/2 found bones on July 23, 2019. Based on evidence found at the scene, which included some clothing and a skull with dental work, investigators determined they belonged to Jonelle.

Over the following two days, the bones were examined, according to the autopsy report released Friday. The report noted that the remains were received in a body bag and were wrapped in a white bed sheet, and that the bones were mixed with dirt and debris. The bones were separated and X-rays were taken, but results of any testing or findings from the autopsy are redacted from the report.

The bones were then provided to a forensic anthropologist for a more thorough examination.

Unredacted autopsy report: Jonelle Matthews killed with single gunshot wound to the head – Greeley Tribune

Oct 16, 2020

BreakingNewsBodyDiscovered-072419-1.jpg

The report describes the discovery of Matthews’ remains July 23, 2019, at an oil and gas site about one quarter of a mile northwest of Weld County roads 49 and 34 1/2. After field workers excavating land for oil and gas lines found the remains, which were clothed, according to the unredacted report. The remains were taken to McKee Medical Center for examination.

Jonelle was pronounced dead at 6:48 p.m. July 23, 2019, according to the report. Michael Burson, a forensic pathologist, and Karen Jazowski, autopsy assistant, performed the postmortem examination. The unredacted report offers an analysis for a single gunshot wound to the skull. “Internal structures” were not available for examination due to the prolonged postmortem interval and decomposition.

A bullet entered the left frontal bone of the skull, about 1.3 inches below the top of the head and about 1.4 inches left of the midline. The bullet exited out of the left occipital bone, downward at the back of the head. Based on the trajectory of the wound, the bullet perforated and lacerated the entire left cerebral hemisphere, from the frontal lobe to the occipital lobe.

“Based on the history provided and the autopsy findings, the cause of death is a gunshot wound to the head,” the report states. “The manner of death is homicide.”

I think it's incredible that JM was found after so many years! I agree SP very well could have shot JM after kidnapping her and/or when she tried to escape -- knowing she could identify him.

While the internal structures were not available for examination, I believe the expertise of the forensic anthropologist and forensic pathologist will provide clear evidence that SP is responsible for JM's death. This was no accidental shooting!

MOO

Neurosurgical Treatment for Gunshot Wound Head Trauma

As noted below, multiple factors determine the extent of damage caused by a gunshot wound. These include the caliber of the gun, size and speed of the bullet, the trajectory and site of the injury. A bullet wound going through the right frontal lobe tip toward the forehead and well above the base of the skull is likely to cause relatively mild clinical damage because it passes through no vital brain tissue or vascular structures. However, a similar bullet passing downward from the left frontal lobe tip toward the temporal lobe and brainstem is likely to be devastating because it passes through eloquent brain tissue and is likely to injure important vascular structures inside the head (see Figure 1).

GunshotWoundCATScangif.ashx

Figure 1

[..]

Understanding the trajectory of the bullet path is important in determining prognosis. The brain is divided into two hemispheres made up of four lobes each, with each lobe providing different functions. Additionally, there are deeper parts of the brain that house many connections, controlling basic body and brain functions. The cerebellum in the back lower part of the brain is related to motor coordination. The brainstem connects the upper portion, or "thinking" portions of the brain, to the spinal cord.

Outcome is poorer for those with extensive bullet tracts, those that cross the deep midline structures of the brain or those that involve the brainstem. A bullet that damages the patient's right hemisphere can leave the victim with motor and sensory impairments on the left side and vice versa. Many other functions such as cognition, memory, speech and vision are controlled by both sides of the brain. As a result, damage to one hemisphere can leave a person impaired but still able to perform these functions at some level, depending on which lobes of the brain are damaged.

[..]

Outcome
The main cause of death at the scene is usually blood loss — if a bullet damages key blood vessels and there is not enough time to stop the bleeding, the victim will bleed to death or form a rapidly expanding blood clot that critically compresses important brain tissue. If the victim survives the initial blood loss, the issue becomes the increasing pressure inside the skull. If the bullet itself goes through the brain, there is injury from both the direct penetration of the brain and from transmission of a pressure wave from the high-velocity (greater than 2,000 feet/second) projectile travelling through the brain tissue. Both bleeding and damage from this pressure wave results in brain swelling, which can also lead to death (See Figure 1, CAT scans showing typical fatal head gunshot wounds).

Neurosurgical Treatment for Gunshot Wound Head Trauma

Outcome
The main cause of death at the scene is usually blood loss — if a bullet damages key blood vessels and there is not enough time to stop the bleeding, the victim will bleed to death or form a rapidly expanding blood clot that critically compresses important brain tissue. If the victim survives the initial blood loss, the issue becomes the increasing pressure inside the skull. If the bullet itself goes through the brain, there is injury from both the direct penetration of the brain and from transmission of a pressure wave from the high-velocity (greater than 2,000 feet/second) projectile travelling through the brain tissue. Both bleeding and damage from this pressure wave results in brain swelling, which can also lead to death (See Figure 1, CAT scans showing typical fatal head gunshot wounds).

From the un-redacted autopsy report: Based on the trajectory of the wound, the bullet perforated and lacerated the entire left cerebral hemisphere, from the frontal lobe to the occipital lobe.

This information means he likely made her kneel down in front of him and then shot her in the head...didn't ever know the girl but the amount of anger I feel over how she was treated is almost uncontrollable. Whatever animal did this to JM needs an immediate serving of justice.

This information means he likely made her kneel down in front of him and then shot her in the head...didn't ever know the girl but the amount of anger I feel over how she was treated is almost uncontrollable. Whatever animal did this to JM needs an immediate serving of justice.

I made/posted a re-enactment video in regards as to how she may have been shot. There are two other options, one of which isn't quite as brutal. But kneeling certainly is one of the ways she could've been killed, which is beyond brutal, IMO.

Friday, December 4th:
*Bond Review Hearing (@ 8:30am MT) – CO – Jonelle Renee Matthews (12) (went missing on Dec 20, 1984 after entering her home at 8pm, Greeley, found July 24, 2019 by construction workers at an oil & gas site in rural part of Weld County near County Road 49 & County Road 34½) – *Steven Dana Pankey (33 @ time of crime/69) indicted (10/9/20) & arrested (10/12/20 in Meridian, ID.) with 1st degree murder after deliberation, 1st degree felony murder, 2nd degree kidnapping, with sentence enhancers for using a weapon in a violent crime & 2 counts of crime of violence. Held without bond.
Info on warrant & court info from 8/18/20 thru 10/14/20 reference post #617:
Found Deceased - CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020*

10/17/20 Update: Extradition Review hearing in Idaho on 10/23/20 @ 8:30am with Deputy Public Defender Erin Johnelle. 10/23/20 Update: Pankey appeared in court Friday & an order of dismissal was placed for his fugitive to Idaho charge. He will be held without bail until the state of Colorado comes to retrieve him & return him to Colorado. 10/28/20: Was extradited to Colorado & arrived on 10/28/20. Next appearance on arrest warrant hearing on 10/30/20.
10/30/20 Update: Judge Timothy Kerns told Pankey he would be held without bond for now. Pankey’s lawyer, Anthony Viorst, said he planned to ask Kerns to consider allowing him to be released on bond after a Dec. 4 hearing scheduled to weigh the evidence against him.

Just seeing this, marking, thank you, Seattle1.

Autopsy report for missing Colorado girl Jonelle Matthews | 9news.com

Updated: 1:46 PM MDT June 19, 2020

A crew excavating an area in rural Weld County for a pipeline near Weld County Roads 49 and 34 1/2 found bones on July 23, 2019. Based on evidence found at the scene, which included some clothing and a skull with dental work, investigators determined they belonged to Jonelle.

Over the following two days, the bones were examined, according to the autopsy report released Friday. The report noted that the remains were received in a body bag and were wrapped in a white bed sheet, and that the bones were mixed with dirt and debris. The bones were separated and X-rays were taken, but results of any testing or findings from the autopsy are redacted from the report.

The bones were then provided to a forensic anthropologist for a more thorough examination.

Unredacted autopsy report: Jonelle Matthews killed with single gunshot wound to the head – Greeley Tribune

Oct 16, 2020

BreakingNewsBodyDiscovered-072419-1.jpg

The report describes the discovery of Matthews’ remains July 23, 2019, at an oil and gas site about one quarter of a mile northwest of Weld County roads 49 and 34 1/2. After field workers excavating land for oil and gas lines found the remains, which were clothed, according to the unredacted report. The remains were taken to McKee Medical Center for examination.

Jonelle was pronounced dead at 6:48 p.m. July 23, 2019, according to the report. Michael Burson, a forensic pathologist, and Karen Jazowski, autopsy assistant, performed the postmortem examination. The unredacted report offers an analysis for a single gunshot wound to the skull. “Internal structures” were not available for examination due to the prolonged postmortem interval and decomposition.

A bullet entered the left frontal bone of the skull, about 1.3 inches below the top of the head and about 1.4 inches left of the midline. The bullet exited out of the left occipital bone, downward at the back of the head. Based on the trajectory of the wound, the bullet perforated and lacerated the entire left cerebral hemisphere, from the frontal lobe to the occipital lobe.

“Based on the history provided and the autopsy findings, the cause of death is a gunshot wound to the head,” the report states. “The manner of death is homicide.”

I think it's incredible that JM was found after so many years! I agree SP very well could have shot JM after kidnapping her and/or when she tried to escape -- knowing she could identify him.

While the internal structures were not available for examination, I believe the expertise of the forensic anthropologist and forensic pathologist will provide clear evidence that SP is responsible for JM's death. This was no accidental shooting!

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member