Found Deceased CO - Joseph Keller, 18, Antonito, 23 July 2015 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at the map trying to see how far Joe would have likely gone. Can anyone tell me what this structure is? Is it an oil drill? aa.png

I figured for an hour run that would be somewhere between 6-8 miles for these guys. So if they were to turn back around after 30 minutes then that would be about 3.5 miles.

But some people say they left the lodge and others say black rock. The guy who said black rock says it is 7 miles from the lodge. That would also make sense for an hour run, one way. But where is black rock?

I'll risk sounding crazy but I was looking at the map and when I got to this spot I got a very uneasy feeling. aaa.jpg the yellow looks like a cabin but what is the thing I marked in red?

I also am interested in knowing how the roads are marked. 250 turns into 17 and then briefly 731 and then back into 250 and then 17 again. I wonder if Joe thought he was headed one direction on 250, towards the lodge, when he was really running away from it.

I also wonder how one can run so long without a drink of water. Is that common to run so long and not bring a drink?

I wonder if he realized he was running the wrong way and got thirsty and went towards the creek or river for a drink and then before you know it it got dark and he either got more lost or animals found him.

I still have a very bad feeling about that spot on the map and it's freaking me out.

Question:

" "I took one road up and he didn't follow, which is normal because we run at different paces," Gwaltney told Dateline NBC. "But after two hours passed and he didn't come home, we went out looking." "

http://www.nbcnews.com/dateline/weeks-after-teen-vanishes-during-run-still-no-answers-n412306

He says he took one road up and Joe did not follow, which is normal because they run at different paces.

How does he Know that Joe didn't follow, specifically if they run at different paces.

Previous to that remark, it mentions in the link that they split up about a quarter of a mile on different paths.

Is it because he didn't see Joe on the way back so he assumed Joe didn't follow?

If he knew Joe didn't follow him, why say he didn't follow because they run at different paces.

Just because they run at different paces doesn't mean that Joe couldn't have followed him...

It seems odd to me, how he worded it...

Maybe it is just semantics. I don't know. Just seems odd to me...

IMOO.

(Also posted this in Malachi's thread)

I was just watching a show about SAR teams in the Colorado Rockies that were looking for a lost adult hiker. They mentioned that usually someone lost in the mountains will find a creek and follow it downwards, so that is usually what leads their initial focus/approach as searchers.

They also mentioned the following hierarchy:

1. Shelter (they were looking for places/nooks and crannies where the lost person may seek shelter).
2. Water
3. Fire
4. Food

He did not get lost running nor did he have an accident. <modsnip>

All this speculation on the path of the run and the boys is all for naught. If anyone would bother to research and dig a little deeper, they would read the truth. Colorado Gang Unit says Kings De Monte Hispanic gang uses the area for dropping and hiding meth and heroin. Hwy 285 is a known drug route.

How do i know the boys wasnt involved? A) i know one very well
B) because our Sheriff Watson interviewed them voluntarily and he doesnt believe they are. Its not his case or jurisdiction to public clear them. <modsnip>

Yes, he was seen by people at the ranch. This has been confirmed.

Was he actually seen at this ranch?

By LE, or friends?

Whether Joe was ever at RTR was one of my biggest questions early on. Then on August 13th, someone whom I believe to be the wife (RMR-S) of Joe's half-brother posted on the Find Joe Keller page that Joe had split wood and eaten lunch with relatives (a couple of the ones who run the ranch) before going for the run. Personally, I consider this post credible.

I always take anything that's posted on FB with a grain of salt, but the interesting thing about this particular post is that there are three replies to the post, and one of them is by someone (NB) whom I recognize as a professor who teaches at a university where my father works (my dad doesn't teach; he works on the administrative side). In her post, NB states that she was staying at the Ranch when Joe disappeared, and that some of her family members actually met Joe that Thursday afternoon. She also goes on to say that the following morning (Friday) the guests joined the search after Joe's aunt (J) explained to them that:

1. Joe had gone for a run with a friend (CG) the night before,
2. they decided to run apart because CG was a faster runner,
3. they started at the same time and agreed to meet back in one hour
but
4. Joe never showed up.

*Note: The sequence of events above (1. to 4.) are actually explained in one of the remaining two replies (by another poster), but NB says in her post that that is what she heard directly from Joe's aunt Friday morning.*

My assumption is that Aunt J's information came from CG. Another thing I noticed is that this doesn't say anything about where Joe and CG started their run or where they they were supposed to meet back up ....

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1626600047608497&id=1595594977375671

From the Conejos County Sheriff's Office Facebook:

"We will be having a search and rescue meeting on August 26 at 7:00 p.m. at the emergency operations center (EOC) building in La Jara. All current members are encouraged to show up, and any and all community members that may want to join are welcome. We hope to see you there."

Interesting. I cannot tell whether this is a meeting that is held by the members of their search and rescue organization on a regular basis, for example, every quarter (and as far as the "and any and ... join are welcome" part goes, they are trying to recruit members), or it has to do with Joe's disappearance. It says it's going to be "a search and rescue meeting," too ....

Neal stated in his only interview that Joe was no longer a search and rescue instead search and recovery. I doubt this is in any way about Joe except maybe to thank them for their efforts. The area has been throughly searched.

Nobody has changed their story. Joe page has several adm, everyone tells the story in their voice and thats why its a little different. No one repeats a story exactly how its told to them.

Unfortuntely since Sheriff Galvez has not bothered to give an interview, <modsnip>

Its just repetitive and recycled to water it down. No facts from the Sheriff. Wheres that news conference he promised on his page? <modsnip>

Neal stated in his only interview that Joe was no longer a search and rescue instead search and recovery. I doubt this is in any way about Joe except maybe to thank them for their efforts. The area has been throughly searched.

Nobody has changed their story. Joe page has several adm, everyone tells the story in their voice and thats why its a little different. No one repeats a story exactly how its told to them.

Unfortuntely since Sheriff Galvez has not bothered to give an interview,<modsnip>

Its just repetitive and recycled to water it down. No facts from the Sheriff. Wheres that news conference he promised on his page? <modsnip>

<modsnip>

The Sheriff does not need to give an interview, even though we would like one.
LE has NO obligation to you or me, or anyone to give an interview.

No facts from the Sheriff?

Well, how about inconsistencies over all from what has been reported about Joe's case.
Why can't there be Known facts that Don't change from the people Closest to the situation?
Even if, as you say, people tell stories in their own voice, the TRUTH does not change. Why is there inconsistencies?

Where did the run start? EXACTLY, where did it start? At the Lodge to the ranch? At a cabin at the ranch? Off a road by the ranch? How far away was their run?

How many witnesses were there when Joe and his friend ran?

Why have we heard different versions from Joe's friend? First it was that the friend ran one direction. Then we hear he and Joe ran, then split up after a quarter of a mile, THEN Joe's friend went to look for a hiking trail. That hiking trail wasn't in One direction. He turned off to look for a trail. That is TWO directions, imoo. Remember they were said to have run the Forest Service Road in the beginning. Then later, it changed...
The truth does not change.
Why not say the WHOLE story from day one?
Why add bits here and there later, that are PERTINENT from day one?
Why make it seem like something else? Why not give the whole story?
So when you say nobody has changed their story, I beg to differ, because YES, the story did change.

IMOO.

The use of the word 'path' throws me. I though they were running on the road. I also assumed the fishermen were in the river which is viewed from the road. I checked out the map for a long time last night and the road is pretty straight. It doesn't start curving until a few miles down on 17. So, unless CG runs at lightning speed, he would have been able to see Joe behind him if he looked back.

There are random cabins scattered all around in the middle of the woods. Some are hard to see (from google maps) because of the trees but I counted about 20 in a 3 mile radius. It's hard for me to tell what is a cabin and what is a residence but it appears the residences are clustered together.

If he did get lost or hurt he could have gone into a cabin. I haven't heard any mention that they searched the cabins. In fact, I haven't heard anything. If Joe went looking for trails he would very likely stumble up on one of these cabins. He might have been curious and opened a door into a world of trouble. A local on another site mentioned that over half of the property in the county is abandoned. Everyone left because of the gangs.

If I were running a drug operation, I would love to stash my drugs in there with an armed guard. It is quite literally in the middle of nowhere.

From the very beginning I thought this was drug/gang related as well. I did my digging and saw all I needed to see to form my opinion.

The family has been told to be quiet. IMO that is because some credible source told them that if they got the media involved and FBI and such they they would be hunted down and killed.

Something very bad is going on in that county. Very very bad.

I am cynical, and I don't for a minute trust anyone in LE just because they are in LE. There are bad apples in EVERY bunch. Some more than others.

The family needs to get the FBI involved and fast. If they did, they would need to get into witness protection and that would include the owners of the ranch, the two other boys families, etc. Or else I fear someone else would also disappear.

Just my opinion.

Jinx! You owe me a Coke :)

Do we know this case, or what! :)

Sure! You get me a Diet then ;). Joe's is one of the few cases I've come to feel strongly about. The last case I felt this way about was the disappearance of Taleka Patrick, which happened a little over 1.5 years ago. I just "knew" (of course not literally, but based on what had been reported by MSM within the first week of her disappearance, I became absolutely convinced) that she was in the lake/pond which was in the immediate vicinity of where her car had been found abandoned. I live only 45 or so minutes away from this location, so I really wanted to go search, but we -here on websleuths- researched the weather information from the evening Taleka was last seen and surmised that the lake probably froze over later that very evening. She went missing in early December, and her body was found the following April by a fisherman who had gone fishing at the aforementioned lake. I felt very sympathetic toward Taleka -a brilliant doctor living with a deeply disturbed mind-, and I just really wanted her found.

With Joe, I work on a college campus, and I just feel as though whatever has befallen this handsome and kind-hearted young man could happen to any of the "kids" I see every day. It may just be that I am too naive, but I don't think this is a particularly complicated case (certainly a strange one, though; for one thing, there is no established timeline). Like many others, it's a matter of getting the right person(s) to do the right thing (i.e., speak up) and finding evidence.

By the way:

1. Is Joe's dad still in CO, and if so, are there searches still being conducted? A few days ago on the FJK FB page, a poster asked how many people had been out looking for Joe in the last week or two, and the administrator answered s/he wasn't sure because s/he isn't out there ...?

2. If Conejos County is so bad due to drugs and gangs, why do people still vacation there (e.g., Rainbow Trout Ranch)? Based on what I read on their FB page, it appears that many of their clients keep returning year after year. Wouldn't they stop coming at some point if it was so bad t the point where it was starting to bother them?

3. LE not showing up until after midnight ...: I will never understand this one!!

Sure! You get me a Diet then ;). Joe's is one of the few cases I've come to feel strongly about. The last case I felt this way about was the disappearance of Taleka Patrick, which happened a little over 1.5 years ago. I just "knew" (of course not literally, but based on what had been reported by MSM within the first week of her disappearance, I became absolutely convinced) that she was in the lake/pond which was in the immediate vicinity of where her car had been found abandoned. I live only 45 or so minutes away from this location, so I really wanted to go search, but we -here on websleuths- research the weather information from the evening Taleka was last seen and surmised that the lake probably froze over later that very evening. She went missing in early December, and her body was found the following April by a fisherman who had gone fishing at the aforementioned lake. I felt very sympathetic toward Taleka -a brilliant doctor living with a deeply disturbed mind-, and I just really wanted her found.

With Joe, I work on a college campus, and I just feel as though whatever has befallen this handsome and kind-hearted young man could happen to any of the "kids" I see every day. It may just be that I am too naive, but I don't think this is a particularly complicated case (certainly a strange one, though; for one thing, there is no established timeline). Like many others, it's a matter of getting the right person(s) to do the right thing (i.e., speak up) and finding evidence.

By the way:

1. Is Joe's dad still in CO, and if so, are there searches still being conducted? A few days ago on the FJK FB page, a poster asked how many people had been out looking for Joe in the last week or two, and the administrator answered s/he wasn't sure because s/he isn't out there ...?

2. If Conejos County is so bad due to drugs and gangs, why do people still vacation there (e.g., Rainbow Trout Ranch)? Based on what I read on their FB page, it appears that many of their clients keep returning year after year. Wouldn't they stop coming at some point if it was so bad t the point where it was starting to bother them?

3. LE not showing up until after midnight ...: I will never understand this one!!

I looked on Tripadvisor for reviews of places including the Rainbow Ranch and the reviews are glowing for all of the places

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Clean