Found Deceased CO - Joseph Keller, 18, Antonito, 23 July 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The police have stopped the search. They will continue to investigate and follow leads, the generic statement police make. They have many outside resources The KlaasKids and Texas Equsearch has reached out to offer help. Also Dan Smith an expert SAR is advising the volunteers. Looks like an unsolved case.

Sorry, we seem to of both posted the same thing.

I dont think i would let my 17yr old go off on a 3 week jaunt across the country with 2 18yrs olds. Yes, mischief, first taste of freedom and SAFETY all come to mind. Thats not here nor there since the parents allowed them to go.
Interesting comment on FJK fb page from the adm. "Investigators include to exclude, this means they include them so they can exclude them. We are glad they are doing a thorough Search and Investigation" in response to questions about his friends. They will not confirm if the Aunt actually saw them, only they arrived in the morning in another comment.

I have to agree with you about leaving being odd. Most guys this age get geared up when one of their "brothers" are missing and want to expend all of their energy on searches. Maybe they were made to leave? I do not know, but I do know I would like to know the answer.

Well, maybe they left and came home because they have jobs, or maybe they are heading back to college in a few weeks? Not everyone can afford to stay away from home indefinitely. Maybe they knew the searches were going to be suspended anyway.

Young men that age often take off across country. I had friends in college who had backpacked all over the West as soon as they graduated from high school. My nephew and a friend were just a little older and went backpacking all over Europe, and nothing strange happened.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Conejos-County-Sheriffs-Office/1595594977375671?fref=nf

From the Conejos County Sheriff's Office Facebook:

"Thanks to those who were able to volunteer on the search today, which was in the area of La Jara Reservoir. Unless something new develops, our next post will be Monday."

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1618503908418111&id=1595594977375671
I don't understand the logic behind this search area. Joe would know hiking uphill is away from camp and the wrong way. Most people would push onward downhill, not uphill. Especially so late in the day, when it would start becoming dark.

If he and his pal set off on foot from Rainbow Trout Ranch, and were reported to have been initially running along the Fdr 250:
  • If they headed west they would continue on that road --- west and flat-ish
  • If they headed east they would run into the 17 --- east and flat-ish
  • To their immediate south would be the Conejos River, and the continuation of the valley floor, plus more cliff type drops --- south and down.
  • To their immediate north would be a very steep climb up a mountain, and once they reached the plateau it would be a steady continuous climb in elevation for MANY miles before they eventually reached this reservoir --- north and up.
  • If that was the destination, the trail that parallels the creek that flows down from the reservoir would be the easiest way to get up there (after he finally hiked up to it)
  • IF he followed it up to the reservoir he would be hiking and climbing, not jogging.

If I leave with a friend to go running and we are headed in the same direction, and I pull ahead I would assume my buddy is still behind me. If he veered off the road to go poddy, he wouldn't go too far. From RTR and 30 minutes, where would I be in either direction? If I passed back by my buddy on my way back, he would turn around too. Because it was a timed run, not a distance run (meaning, no matter how far you got, the turn around point is 30 minutes). If I did not see my buddy, the pivotal search area would be between my turn around point and the last point I saw my buddy....

Did Joe have a watch? A phone? Anything other than the clothes he was wearing? Where is all his "stuff"? Why isn't every possible tidbit of known information out there being shared? Why don't we even know where they were actually running and where the 30 minute turn-around point was?

My point is, I personally suspect something much more complex than a jogger lost in the woods. I absolutely suspect foul play that occurred even BEFORE arriving to RTR. They need to search between CO and CA. JMO

image.jpg

I don't understand the logic behind this search area. Joe would know hiking uphill is away from camp and the wrong way. Most people would push onward downhill, not uphill. Especially so late in the day, when it would start becoming dark.

If he and his pal set off on foot from Rainbow Trout Ranch, and were reported to have been initially running along the Fdr 250:
  • To their immediate south would be the Conejos River, and the continuation of the valley floor, plus more cliff type drops --- south and down.
  • To their immediate north would be a very steep climb up a mountain, and once they reached the plateau it would be a steady continuous climb in elevation for MANY miles before they eventually reached this reservoir --- north and up.
  • If that was the destination, the trail that parallels the creek that flows down from the reservoir would be the easiest way to get up there (after he finally hiked up to it)
  • IF he followed it up to the reservoir he would be hiking and climbing, not jogging.

If I leave with a friend to go running and we are headed in the same direction, and I pull ahead I would assume my buddy is still behind me. If he veered off the road to go poddy, he wouldn't go too far. From RTR and 30 minutes, where would I be in either direction? If I passed back by my buddy on my way back, he would turn around too. Because it was a timed run, not a distance run (meaning, no matter how far you got, the turn around point is 30 minutes). If I did not see my buddy, the pivotal search area would be between my turn around point and the last point I saw my buddy....

Did Joe have a watch? A phone? Anything other than the clothes he was wearing? Where is all his "stuff"? Why isn't every possible tidbit of known information out there being shared? Why don't we even know where they were actually running and where the 30 minute turn-around point was?

My point is, I personally suspect something much more complex than a jogger lost in the woods. I absolutely suspect foul play that occurred even BEFORE arriving to RTR. They need to search between CO and CA. JMO

View attachment 79399

Great thought process!! Great post!! Thanks!!!
IMOO.

And that's the thing.
Not everything is being shared.
Very little is being shared.
We don't even know if he saw his Aunt and Uncle at the ranch. Or other family members.
We don't even know the exact starting point or direction of the "jog".
Why, if LE told the family members not to speak, why is that?
Now that the search is suspended, if LE told them not to speak, are they still supposed to hold their tongue?
Don't they want to speak out?
What is the problem with speaking out?
Would it then not correlate to everyone's story/account of what happened?
Lots of questions.
This is a very odd case.
IMOO.

ETA:
And at this point, the Aunt and Uncle and the rest of the relatives there at the ranch would KNOW if they saw or talked to Joe in person at the ranch. If they did not, well, it would make sense then not to speak, because of conflicting stories.
Maybe they are trying to build a case and when they find Joe they can move forward? Just thoughts...
Also, even if the family did see Joe at the ranch, foul play still could have occurred.
I don't feel it was foul play with a stranger, though... imoo.

IMOO.

A summary about Joe missing in this link:

http://www.westword.com/news/search...ler-suspended-foul-play-a-possibility-6992191

"The popular tourist destination is hyped by this movie-trailer-style video:" (snipped by me...)

I am wondering if it has been hush-hush because maybe the ranch is a good money making business for the Conejos Valley area?

Maybe drawing attention to this from the business owners of the ranch about Joe, could hurt their revenue?
It is their relative that went missing.
Still, if it were my relative, I would be talking, getting the news out...
The squeaky wheel gets the grease, imoo.
Just throwing out thoughts...
IMOO.

And that's the thing.
Not everything is being shared.
Very little is being shared.
We don't even know if he saw his Aunt and Uncle at the ranch. Or other family members.
We don't even know the exact starting point or direction of the "jog".
Why, if LE told the family members not to speak, why is that?
Now that the search is suspended, if LE told them not to speak, are they still supposed to hold their tongue?
Don't they want to speak out?
What is the problem with speaking out?
Would it then not correlate to everyone's story/account of what happened?
Lots of questions.
This is a very odd case.
IMOO.

ETA:
And at this point, the Aunt and Uncle and the rest of the relatives there at the ranch would KNOW if they saw or talked to Joe in person at the ranch. If they did not, well, it would make sense then not to speak, because of conflicting stories.
Maybe they are trying to build a case and when they find Joe they can move forward? Just thoughts...
Also, even if the family did see Joe at the ranch, foul play still could have occurred.
I don't feel it was foul play with a stranger, though... imoo.

IMOO.
If all 3 boys DID arrive at RTR, and 2 of them left for a run and only one came back, I would most certainly be looking off the sides of roads where there are drop offs and cliffs. It would be very easy to push someone off if they didn't see it coming. And it would make for an easy lie because there would be absolutely no way to prove it wasn't accidental and solo.

I suspect foul play because of the behaviors of the 2 remaining boys, silence from the families, and tight lips of the police. Is there a love triangle or some un-discussed motivation that would lead anyone to believe Joe was "offed"? IMO, that is the direction this case has now turned, and why searches are now called off.

I still don't get why they were searching La Jara Reservoir. Did the boys camp up there before going to RTR?

View attachment 79399

BBM If you're looking for a work out I'd start with uphill, well that's what I'd do. Then after you've done whatever time you wanted to put into the workout you turnaround and coast back. I used to love a good hill, now not so much..

BBM If you're looking for a work out I'd start with uphill, well that's what I'd do. Then after you've done whatever time you wanted to put into the workout you turnaround and coast back. I used to love a good hill, now not so much..
I agree.

Even if that was the goal, it would take far longer than 30 minutes to climb that mountain, or run over to an access point that could get you to the top. Again, it would be a lot more hiking and climbing, and very little jogging. They agreed to a 60 minute jog. Why go mountain climbing, alone, just before sundown, without telling anyone your plans?

If all 3 boys DID arrive at RTR, and 2 of them left for a run and only one came back, I would most certainly be looking off the sides of roads where there are drop offs and cliffs. It would be very easy to push someone off if they didn't see it coming. And it would make for an easy lie because there would be absolutely no way to prove it wasn't accidental and solo.

I suspect foul play because of the behaviors of the 2 remaining boys, silence from the families, and tight lips of the police. Is there a love triangle or some un-discussed motivation that would lead anyone to believe Joe was "offed"? IMO, that is the direction this case has now turned, and why searches are now called off.

I still don't get why they were searching La Jara Reservoir. Did the boys camp up there before going to RTR?

It did cross my mind about perhaps a love triangle or something similar.
Definitely something is undiscussed, whatever it is. The silence is loud.
About La Jara, maybe they were trying to search whatever surrounding areas, I don't know.
All Just My Opinion.

If they aren't used to that elevation, running uphill is even more taxing on the body, imoo.
For instance from this link:

"La Jara Reservoir State Wildlife Area is approximately 2,613 acres (4.08 sq. miles or 10.57 sq. kilometers) and ranges from 9,600 ft to 10,026 ft in elevation."

http://www.thesportsglobe.com/PublicLands/PublicLandDetails.aspx?PublicLand=100148

Do I remember this correctly that the friends waited until the next day to report him missing? I searched this thread and can't find this piece of info now. :dunno:

Do I remember this correctly that the friends waited until the next day to report him missing? I searched this thread and can't find this piece of info now. :dunno:

Here's the thing....

http://www.wdef.com/news/story/First-on-12-Authorities-in-South-Colorado/2Pr8ZsDY-EyUyYEbn3pqtw.cspx

"Published: 7/26 11:05 am Updated: 7/26 7:44 pm"

Short article:

The sheriff mentioned to the news station that he was reported missing around 4:30pm on Thursday.
Now whether he was literal in the sense that they reported him missing around 4:30pm on Thursday, or
the sheriff was factual in saying that Joe went missing at this time.

The link does say that since Friday more than a hundred people have been searching for him.

Also:

According to this link that was published on Sunday the 26th of July:

http://www.alamosanews.com/v2_news_articles.php?heading=0&story_id=39011&page=72

it mentioned that a police report hadn't been filed yet.
So, was that "old news" that a police report hadn't been filed yet, since this link was from Alamosa, and they mentioned KRDO.com, a Colorado Springs station, and it was in the same paragraph about horses, planes and volunteers searching, so I am assuming they meant KRDO stated that a police report hadn't been filed yet?
That's confusing, because if news is being recycled then what looks like current news at that moment, is not, because it's info that's being passed from one source to another.
IMOO.

Thank you for that Treelight. So we don't know for sure when they called for help.

Here's the thing....

http://www.wdef.com/news/story/First-on-12-Authorities-in-South-Colorado/2Pr8ZsDY-EyUyYEbn3pqtw.cspx

"Published: 7/26 11:05 am Updated: 7/26 7:44 pm"

Short article:

The sheriff mentioned to the news station that he was reported missing around 4:30pm on Thursday.
Now whether he was literal in the sense that they reported him missing around 4:30pm on Thursday, or
the sheriff was factual in saying that Joe went missing at this time.

The link does say that since Friday more than a hundred people have been searching for him.

Also:

According to this link that was published on Sunday the 26th of July:

http://www.alamosanews.com/v2_news_articles.php?heading=0&story_id=39011&page=72

it mentioned that a police report hadn't been filed yet.
So, was that "old news" that a police report hadn't been filed yet, since this link was from Alamosa, and they mentioned KRDO.com, a Colorado Springs station, and it was in the same paragraph about horses, planes and volunteers searching, so I am assuming they meant KRDO stated that a police report hadn't been filed yet?
That's confusing, because if news is being recycled then what looks like current news at that moment, is not, because it's info that's being passed from one source to another.
IMOO.

bbm

I just looked again at the very first post of this thread where it said

Many of you probably already know this, but Joe Keller, Christian Fetzner, and I are on a cross country road trip and are currently in Colorado. On July 23, 2015 at 4:25 p.m. Mountain time, Joe and I went on a run. Our plan was to run for 1 hour. I ran ahead of him and ran 30 minutes in one direction and then turned around and nobody saw him after that.

So I would assume that the sheriff meant that Joe went missing on 4:30pm on Thursday since I think it's unlikely that the friend would call authorities within 5 minutes of starting the jog. Coupled with the fact that they started searching on Friday I would further assume the friends did not report him missing on Thursday.

If that was in fact so, it could only mean one of two things: either they had something to do with his disappearance and needed time to cover their tracks, or they know where he went on Thursday (maybe on a date, for example) and thought nothing of it but became worried the next day when he hadn't returned. But in the latter case, why make up the story about jogging? I'm not sure if I'm making sense here ...

I would start giving his two friends PG tests right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChriNBelusk0