CO CO - Kayleah Wilson, 12, Greeley, 28 March 2010 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
QUOTE=James Vic;5196444]If someone made up an electronic flyer, they could email it to many different businesses around the area. In addition the flyer could ask those receiving it to pass it on to anyone they know. This would cut down the cost, make it easy for those across the country to help, and cover more ground in less time.

Just a thought. I don't a lot of extra time, but if someone would be willing to send me all the information they would like in the flyer, I can make up a rough draft in a PDF format.

James

25uljll.jpg

Here is a link to another one in PDF format.

http://www.pollyklaas.org/missing/kids/pdf/pdf2/wilson-flyer.pdf

I agree human - what age is the cutoff for running away and abduction? Kayleah is 12yo and called a run-a-way; Lindsey is 10yo and called a run-a-way; and Idaho has a thread going with a 7yo LE called a run-a-way. Seems that soon the criteria will be 'out of the crib' and off the bottle". Also, I'm at a loss as to how a 14yo groomed by a family member is considered a run-a-way. In my eyes, these kids have been groomed by a pedophile and I"m not at all sure what difference it makes if he is a friend or relative of the family. Something has got to change when a child goes missing and there is no crime scene, body, evidence, or clues of any kind. Something has to be done and I don't know what. MOO mho and all that stuff! rant over!

When I was growing up me and my sister were friends with a girl next door. This kid and another girl we knew ran away from home, and they were both 12. And yes, they really did run away but were later found a few towns away. Not only that, but she had been on about doing it before, when she was even younger, trying to convince us to join her in running away (we didnt understand why anyone would want to do that though). I remember that my sister got called down to the principals office at school so the police could question her about where this kid might have gone, which upset her a lot.

I don't think she was abused or anything like that (I'm pretty sure she would have told us) but she was "very old" for her age and was generally troubled. The problem was that her mom was crazy and that didn't make for a stable home.

When I was growing up me and my sister were friends with a girl next door. This kid and another girl we knew ran away from home, and they were both 12. And yes, they really did run away but were later found a few towns away. Not only that, but she had been on about doing it before, when she was even younger, trying to convince us to join her in running away (we didnt understand why anyone would want to do that though). I remember that my sister got called down to the principals office at school so the police could question her about where this kid might have gone, which upset her a lot.

I don't think she was abused or anything like that (I'm pretty sure she would have told us) but she was "very old" for her age and was generally troubled. The problem was that her mom was crazy and that didn't make for a stable home.

That is what is different. Two of them ran away. It is very unusual for a 12 year old to run away by herself, There does not seem to be anyone else missing at the same time as Kayleah.

I really keep hoping that they'll find Kayleah, but am upset to hear that the flyers are missing, the story seems to be fading from the public eye, and that the possibility of her being a runaway still keeps cropping up. I had a scare yesterday where my own 13-year old son was attacked by a 50 year old man, in public, in front of tons of people. He throttled him, and threatened my son with "if I catch you alone, you're f'ing done." No one did a thing, my son had to call the cops, and again, this was in full view of tons of people at a beach. I have no problem believing that Kayleah could be walking past a mall and disappear, in a violent scene or otherwise, and no one would notice. People do not think or act unless something very obviously bad is happening (and sometimes even then, people stay out of it). It will be especially difficult for anyone to remember this if the story and picture are not out there. I really, really wish they'd release the video from the mall, or at least stills from it, to possibly jog someone's memory. It should be so obvious at this point that she didn't run away, and since the last place she was seen is supposedly on film, that needs to get more focus than it is.

I will try to get to Greeley this week sometime and post some more flyer's I can print them out and get some new ones posted I know it has been raining a lot so need some new one's on poles. I have grandchildren until weds. but will get on it. I really wanted to go to the search this weekend but have to make another trip to Wyoming this weekend to be with my mom as chemo is really making her weak again but will take flyer's with me and post them at truck stops and convenience stores. I don't understand why they don't post that video. Praying for Kayleah and family time to bring this one home!

That is what is different. Two of them ran away. It is very unusual for a 12 year old to run away by herself, There does not seem to be anyone else missing at the same time as Kayleah.

And they were likely found within a very short period of time. Kayleah has been missing for a month and a half. It's pretty tough for a 12 year old to be on the streets, on their own, for that period of time- no matter how 'grown up' they act. And sometimes acting 'grown up' makes for even worse situations. JMO.

ETA: IMO if a 12 yr old 'acts' much older, they are doing exactly that- acting. They are still a child. And any adult that aids them, keeps them from their rightful home, or takes advantage of that 'acting' skill, is breaking the law.

For those local to the area- this is a good, concise statement of what to be looking for. LE is obviously open to help from the community in searching for Kayleah... maybe everyone can take this statement to heart.
Look up, look down, look around you at your surroundings. Keep an eye out for the inhaler, or any bits of red or white plastic on roads or alongside roads. Keep an eye out for clothing.
Does anyone know if there are dogs working this case?

http://www.weldsheriff.com/assets/67c4bcADda96d7d2D37c.pdf

It's so strange to me how the FBI was so involved in this case at fitst and then just dropped out. I don't think they get involved in runaway cases, and if they thought it was an abduction, why did they drop out? It has to be one or the other...what other options are there? Did they hear too much about her running away in the past and decide that she would likely come back on her own? But the fact that she has not should be enough, by now, to get them back involved, I would think...

It's so strange to me how the FBI was so involved in this case at fitst and then just dropped out. I don't think they get involved in runaway cases, and if they thought it was an abduction, why did they drop out? It has to be one or the other...what other options are there? Did they hear too much about her running away in the past and decide that she would likely come back on her own? But the fact that she has not should be enough, by now, to get them back involved, I would think...

Do we know for certain that they are not involved still? I understood they were. They do get involved in certain endangered runaway cases- but even more so- Kayleah is classified as "Endangered Missing" which essentially means anything is possible.
Perhaps they need a reminder.

I was disturbed by the lack of posters and fliers and just the sense of talking to people in the area that Kayleah is just a "runaway." Sad. Just sad. She is 12 people. 12 YEARS OLD.

:( :( :(

snipped

That's not good! :( The weather could have played a role also. Thanks for letting us know. Haven't been up to Greeley in over a month, but next time we are up there will bring flyers. We too have driven miles of dirt roads and look everytime we are out. My sons HS walked the Poudre Trail in Greeley for a field trip and he looked, although privately. Not a day goes by that I don't think about her....

What happened to all the support from the Kayleah Wilson Fund? Wondering if they would be willing to get the flyers back up and ralley the troops?

For those local to the area- this is a good, concise statement of what to be looking for. LE is obviously open to help from the community in searching for Kayleah... maybe everyone can take this statement to heart.
Look up, look down, look around you at your surroundings. Keep an eye out for the inhaler, or any bits of red or white plastic on roads or alongside roads. Keep an eye out for clothing.
Does anyone know if there are dogs working this case?

http://www.weldsheriff.com/assets/67c4bcADda96d7d2D37c.pdf

That was an excellent article on ways to help. I saved it when it first came out as it will be helpful for other cases.

Quoted by Oriah " Does anyone know if there are dogs working this case? "

If I remember correctly, dogs were used in the first week of the search.

She went missing Sunday but the information was not released to the press until Wednesday. That is when the searches actually started, both by LE and public.

That was an excellent article on ways to help. I saved it when it first came out as it will be helpful for other cases.

Yes it is. And very useful in other cases as well, as you mentioned. Good to see LE using it- thanks LE!

Quoted by Oriah " Does anyone know if there are dogs working this case? "

If I remember correctly, dogs were used in the first week of the search.

She went missing Sunday but the information was not released to the press until Wednesday. That is when the searches actually started, both by LE and public.

Ok. So the lag on dogs was 72 hours. Not good. Do you know if they have had dogs out with any of the organized searches since then? Or was it just the initial use?

Ok. So the lag on dogs was 72 hours. Not good. Do you know if they have had dogs out with any of the organized searches since then? Or was it just the initial use?

It looks like 48 hours...which is still long, not sure how long dogs can pick up a scent of a person.

TIMELINE OF SEARCH

Sunday
» 3:40 p.m.: Kayleah Wilson says goodbye to her mother, April Wilson, and leaves the apartment in the 2800 block of 28th Street. She's walking to meet a friend south of the Greeley Mall, then to go to a birthday party. It's likely she crossed U.S. 34 Bypass to get to the Greeley Mall.

» 10 p.m.: Discovering Kayleah did not make it to the party and did not return home, April Wilson calls Greeley police to report her daughter as missing. As is standard with missing older children — Kayleah is 12 — police handle it as a possible runaway and put out an alert to watch for her.

Monday
» Morning: Greeley police officers discuss the case, canvas the area and learn there is no indication that Kayleah is a runaway. Police spend the day questioning the family and friends of Kayleah and contacting possible witnesses in the neighborhood and the area south of the Greeley Mall.

» Police request an Amber Alert through the state, but are told the case does not meet the requirements. Her name and photo are placed on state and national missing children sites. There is no evidence of her running away, nor is there any evidence of foul play.

Tuesday
» Morning: Search dogs are brought in but are unable to pick up a scent of the girl. Detectives decide it is time to send out a press release.

» 2:54 p.m.: The first press release with Kayleah's photo and description is e-mailed from the Greeley police to media throughout the state; police increase the number of officers and detectives working on the case. The FBI is asked to join the investigation.

Wednesday
» 9 a.m.: There are now 25 officers and detectives working the case. They search U.S. 34 Bypass near the house, looking through ditches, culverts and bushes. No evidence of Kayleah is found. About the same time, April Wilson passes out fliers of her daughter at Greeley West High School.

» The FBI sends agents to meet and join the investigation with Greeley detectives.

» April Wilson spends much of the day at the Greeley Police Department, trying to help find her daughter.

http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20100401/NEWS/100409979&parentprofile=search

It looks like 48 hours...which is still long, not sure how long dogs can pick up a scent of a person.

TIMELINE OF SEARCH

Sunday
» 3:40 p.m.: Kayleah Wilson says goodbye to her mother, April Wilson, and leaves the apartment in the 2800 block of 28th Street. She's walking to meet a friend south of the Greeley Mall, then to go to a birthday party. It's likely she crossed U.S. 34 Bypass to get to the Greeley Mall.

» 10 p.m.: Discovering Kayleah did not make it to the party and did not return home, April Wilson calls Greeley police to report her daughter as missing. As is standard with missing older children — Kayleah is 12 — police handle it as a possible runaway and put out an alert to watch for her.

Monday
» Morning: Greeley police officers discuss the case, canvas the area and learn there is no indication that Kayleah is a runaway. Police spend the day questioning the family and friends of Kayleah and contacting possible witnesses in the neighborhood and the area south of the Greeley Mall.

» Police request an Amber Alert through the state, but are told the case does not meet the requirements. Her name and photo are placed on state and national missing children sites. There is no evidence of her running away, nor is there any evidence of foul play.

Tuesday
» Morning: Search dogs are brought in but are unable to pick up a scent of the girl. Detectives decide it is time to send out a press release.

» 2:54 p.m.: The first press release with Kayleah's photo and description is e-mailed from the Greeley police to media throughout the state; police increase the number of officers and detectives working on the case. The FBI is asked to join the investigation.

Wednesday
» 9 a.m.: There are now 25 officers and detectives working the case. They search U.S. 34 Bypass near the house, looking through ditches, culverts and bushes. No evidence of Kayleah is found. About the same time, April Wilson passes out fliers of her daughter at Greeley West High School.

» The FBI sends agents to meet and join the investigation with Greeley detectives.

» April Wilson spends much of the day at the Greeley Police Department, trying to help find her daughter.

http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20100401/NEWS/100409979&parentprofile=search

Thanks angiejean. It depends on the kind of scent, the kind of dog, and the kind of training the dog and handler have.

Can someone refresh me as to the last person to see Kayleah after 3:40pm?
Or was her mother the last to see her?

Thanks angiejean. It depends on the kind of scent, the kind of dog, and the kind of training the dog and handler have.Can someone refresh me as to the last person to see Kayleah after 3:40pm?
Or was her mother the last to see her?

Yep, you are right. I remember reading that LE said traffic, etc. hampered with the scent, will go back and find the article.

I wonder if bloodhounds were used?! I am reminded of little Alie Berrelez and the bloodhound who found her...http://www.alie.org/gpage.html

Pretty sure LE is claiming mom was the last to see her, from what the media reported.

http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20100331/NEWS/100339951&parentprofile=search

TIMELINE OF SEARCH

Sunday

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

angiejean - thanks so much for doing this...been so long that I've forgotten the basics of this case. This helps so much. moo

Yep, you are right. I remember reading that LE said traffic, etc. hampered with the scent, will go back and find the article.

I wonder if bloodhounds were used?! I am reminded of little Alie Berrelez and the bloodhound who found her...http://www.alie.org/gpage.html

Pretty sure LE is claiming mom was the last to see her, from what the media reported.

http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20100331/NEWS/100339951&parentprofile=search

I thought they had a witness and video of her at the mall ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sidsloth