CO CO - Kayleah Wilson, 12, Greeley, 28 March 2010 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Nixle system is perfect for this, it's just not being utilized enough.

What exactly is that? Communication that is sent to the public via cell phones or computers?

I have forgotten why did her family wait so long to report her missing. Did I read it was like 10:30 pm before she was reported

I have forgotten why did her family wait so long to report her missing. Did I read it was like 10:30 pm before she was reported

I'm not sure of the family's reason for reporting her missing until 10:30. However, speaking from personal experience, there were times when my son wasn't home when he was supposed to be. At first I would think he lost track of time and then after an hour or so I'd get worried. Maybe it's just me but I don't think 2 1/2 hours is an excessive amount of time to report someone missing. Can you imagine how LE would respond if you called and said your child was an hour late getting home?

No evidence a child ran away - no crime scene, no body, no clues, no video, no motive. Clean crime if you ask me. So why give these perps a break? The spirit of searching is snuffed out and media loses interest. Our children deserve better than this, not to mention the community.

Yes, and I'm thinking the criteria for an Amber Alert should be changed. They didn't have a description of a car, or of who took her. And she was considered a runaway because of her age? Or her weight?!? And then she turns up dead two months later. Perhaps an Amber Alert wouldn't have saved her, but it would have helped people be on the lookout.
I live about 10 miles from Greeley and had NO clue she was missing until my mom from TX told me so. The coverage here stunk. And there were no alerts of anything on the highways. If only they could have had her description up or something to let us know there was a girl missing.

I'm so frustrated. I feel like her family was victimized, their parenting skills questioned, people questioning Kayleah's behavior-including someone on WS saying she looked like she took meth-all the way to the police and FBI kind of sort of looking for her, but constantly mentioning she could have run away. It made everyone look at Kayleah and think she was some wild child from a dysfunctional broken home who was on the street somewhere. People took the situation less seriously, and that whole time she was stuck in a drainage pipe somewhere.

I'm sorry if some of my facts are wrong, but I feel like this case was fumbled and that things should have been taken more seriously from the start. She was only 12!!!

I agree that Amber alerts should be changed. The minute you call 911 issue an ALERT! I don't care if no one saw a car. I wouldn't care if no one saw which way my child happened to be walking. If they found her 30 minutes later in a convenience store, charge me for any manpower that was needed to find her. At least I know my child was found safe!!

RIP Sweet Kayleah!

I'm not sure of the exact time, however, I recall that it was assumed she arrived and was at the birthday party. This is an awful and horrible way for all parents to realize the very importance to not allow your children to walk alone and to communicate always upon arrival and before leaving when they are older. My heart aches for her mother...regardless of the "lax of the moment" this is no way a parent should ever lose a child or have to "learn a lesson." However, I pray other parents take note that this indeed can happen to ANYONE and ANYWHERE.

My Prayers for Kayleah's family and all who love her and will miss her sweet smiles and laughter. Just so tragic. Another child, gone too soon by the hands of another.
KayleahWilson_HeavensAngel.jpg

:praying:
RIP Kayleah - go be with the angels.
Prayers for your poor family.
And all our hearts break once again...

Kayleah left for a birthday party about 4pm on a Sunday and was due home around 8pm. By 10p she was reported missing. People have to rule out a stop at friends' homes, or chatting. First thing LE usually asks is if you have contacted friends.

I could be a little off on the times, but not by much. moo

I suppose they did ring around to friends to see if she was there first....which is logical....but still I am alarmed even at this.......she was only 12......maybe for a teen of 16 but 12 year old wandering around after 8 pm.......

another thing....how was she supposed to get home from the party???? I truly hope she was not suppose to be walking home at this time of night......

I think I would just be a bit more protective of a 12 year old girl....well in fact I know I was......my stepdaughter is 17 now and I wouldnt like her walking the streets after 8 pm....especially alone......

I wonder if anyone was suppose to walk home with her??

Yes RubyRed,
It's an almost instant notification/alert system using cells and email. It is an opt in service, which means that only those who are interested will get the information. It has been really helpful spread the word on both crimes and missing persons around here. Not all areas have it set up, but it's easy and free to do. If you live somewhere that isn't participating in using it, go talk to them, get them on board. It can really fill the gap where the Amber system can't be used. I am a firm believer that the Amber Alert needs to stay with the strict guidelines it has or it'll be ignored. But, by using Nixle you are targeting/reaching a group who WANTS to be notified of these things and will pay attention and it won't get ignored.

my son is the same age as kayleah and if he had gone missing under the same circumstances I sure as he!! would hope that more than 2-3 officers were working on his abduction!

I have a daughter that is 12. I can not imagine her running away or even thinking she would want too. I have a 16 year old and a 20 year old. I can't imagine them running away but I could see where they might. I just can not see a 12 year old as a runaway. I'm not saying that a 12 year old has never run away but how often does that occur? I'm wondering why the stepdad would think much less tell the police that Kayleah went to california to visit her Dad.

So sad to read the news. RIP Kayleah. My prayers to your family and all that loved you. May justice be quick.

I have a daughter that is 12. I can not imagine her running away or even thinking she would want too. I have a 16 year old and a 20 year old. I can't imagine them running away but I could see where they might. I just can not see a 12 year old as a runaway. I'm not saying that a 12 year old has never run away but how often does that occur? I'm wondering why the stepdad would think much less tell the police that Kayleah went to california to visit her Dad.

bbm

I hope he is questioned, because I think she knew the person. And the SF had not seen her in four years IIRC.

Peeps - I'm still catching up, but can someone explain about the video at the mall not being clear enough to say it was Kayleah???

TIA!

bbm

I hope he is questioned, because I think she knew the person. And the SF had not seen her in four years IIRC.

Not like he said it once - every time I read an article, opened a link, saw a spot on TV, stepdad was making the suggestion of Kayleah running off to her dad in California. At first I thought - jealous? I than started thinking - guilty? LE stated it making it easy for all others to join the runaway parade. Meanwhile, poor Kayleah lay murdered in some ditch nearby. I was furious then and still furious. moo mho and all that stuff

I understand that the overuse of Amber Alerts would make them ineffective overall. But there needs to be something new. A new alert system, SOMETHING for kids like Kayleah.

A question on if there needs to be a vehicle description-my kids are 4 and 6. What if they were abducted and I didn't see it and they were just gone? Then there would be no alert? That's not right either.

My heart hurts that this wonderful girl has been so close to home and was not found until now. I have to wonder as well, if this was someone who lived close to her and knew her.

I will be interested to see what the cause of death was and how long she has been in the water (clearly for awhile, but since the day she went missing?)

Now let's hope they get this predator off of the streets asap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3