CO CO - Kayleah Wilson, 12, Greeley, 28 March 2010 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting - in this article it says that the ditch hadn't been opened up yet, until Tuesday. So it would have been dry before then, when the area had been searched before.

So I'm wondering, literally, where could it have come from? Usually there are "gates" along the ditches, where anything large couldn't get through. I just don't know where these are located.

Whoops posted the same quesion! Yes, I am wondering the same thing. I don't see a grate on the pipe portion and the gate at the top of the ditch east had to have been open as she was found at the bottom.

Ah Ha !! I found it ! Where the ditch starts underground by 47th street. Let me see if I can post the map:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qq...ground.___&ss=yp.Sunset Memorial Gardens~pg.1

Omgosh when you follow that ditch back she could have been dumped anywhere along it. It goes under roads a few other times as well......

This was perfect. I mapped it and the ditch goes under at rte 34 (28th street) and 47th ave, and does not appear to surface again until 35th ave and 29th street, where the body was found. It appears to run, as expected, from NW to SE. It is in the complete opposite direction from where she was last seen at the mall. That's important to remember: she was seen at the mall and never made it to the party. She was not seen heading back towards home. I find it interesting that rte 34/47th is a major road...possible to discard a body there and also possible that a local would know where it would come out. The article posted that explains the ditch also said that between the point where the ditch goes underground, only manholes and grates provide access. If one could be found to be disturbed, I guess it might suggest someone in that area. If this ends up being Kayleah, I guess it could be coincidence that she ended up near home. It could be that the perp wanted to draw attention away from the area of the mall, the last place she was seen. That person could be a friend or just someone living or working near that mall. It's also why that surveillance video really needs to be reviewed, made public, and the people who also said they saw her there questioned again. It really all goes back to that one spot. I attached the map...I think, that shows the ditch from where MysticRose had it go underground to where the body was found.

Attachments

• photo.png
    photo.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/23606902/detail.html

(snips)
Greeley told 7NEWS it could be days before the body is officially identified through dental records or even DNA.

Investigators were at that vigil with cameras, documenting the event. The pictures and video captured will be looked at in hopes of they reveal clues that can be used in the investigation.

Investigators conducted an intensive search in and along the ditch. Police officers with probing poles waded in the water to search the ditch and its banks for additional clues. The ditch was drained so investigators could get a closer look at the bottom of the canal.

Investigators recovered evidence near the body, but Tymkowych declined to say what was found, saying police need to protect the ongoing investigation. Greeley police also collected evidence from a culvert across from Kayleah's home.

The water in the ditch runs northeast -- or toward Kayleah's home.
bumping up SuziQ's post about a culvert also being searching across from Kayleah's home.

Here is what a culvert looks like http://www.google.com/images?client...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDsQsAQwAw

would we be able to add this culvert to the map?

The Greeley-Loveland Irrigation Canal was built in 1890, according to Ron Brinkman, the secretary of the ditch company. It was one of the ditch company's riders who found the body about 6 a.m. Wednesday.

The ditch rider did not want to talk about the discovery.

Brinkman said the water for the ditch is usually turned on in early May, but was delayed until Tuesday because of precipitation in the area.
The ditch begins at Boyd Lake north of Loveland, and carries water through the Johnstown-Milliken area, through St. Michaels Center to 47th Avenue, where it goes underground for about a mile.

Along that underground tube, manholes and gratings have been built to allow access to the underground ditch for repairs. It comes to the surface again at 35th Avenue, about a quarter-mile from where the body was found.

After the open ditch flows behind Trinity Lutheran School and the Sunset Memorial Gardens cemetery,
Snipped from the article Greeley Trib.com

So this is basically a farming irrigation ditch not a drainage (from the parking lots in the area) which means the only water running through it all winter, and in the last 2 months were runoff from snows and rains.

If the ditch rider checked it regularly, most recent last Tues, you would think he would have seen her at the location they found her as there would not be as much water in it. Which means she was probably in the pipe portion. With the only water running being runoff would that have taken her clothes....I hate asking this question... :(

Thank you so much for this article it answers alot for me. I wonder if the areas that go underground are large enough to walk into or at least crouch and get into ? from some of the photos I was looking at lastnight from Bing maps it looks like it is possible.
Someone could have carried the body far into the underground ditch and left it there :(

bumping up SuziQ's post about a culvert also being searching across from Kayleah's home.

Here is what a culvert looks like http://www.google.com/images?client...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDsQsAQwAw

would we be able to add this culvert to the map?

I got down to the street view at her apt and cannot find a culvert across from it. I can see the divider area between the lanes of the road, and thought it looked like a culvert at one point, but it seemed to me to be east of her apartment, closer to what appears to be Carmike's Cinema. I'm not sure if I can get a similar view behind the apartment. From the normal mapped view, I can't see a culvert, but I will keep trying.

The body has been underwater for a "substantial amount of time," a source tells 9Wants to Know.
--------------

The National Weather Service tells 9Wants to Know downtown Greeley received between 1.23 and 1.43 inches of rain Tuesday night.

Greeley Police Sgt. Joe Tymkowych says the body was found in about three feet of water,

---------------------

The worker checks the ditch daily and he told police he assumes the body was not there on Tuesday.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=139247&catid=339

I got down to the street view at her apt and cannot find a culvert across from it. I can see the divider area between the lanes of the road, and thought it looked like a culvert at one point, but it seemed to me to be east of her apartment, closer to what appears to be Carmike's Cinema. I'm not sure if I can get a similar view behind the apartment. From the normal mapped view, I can't see a culvert, but I will keep trying.
could you post a link to your map? Thanks in advance krazyfingerzz

Kayleah Wilson Facebook friends prepare for the worst.
Last month, hope was already hard to come by in the search for Kayleah Wilson, a Greeley twelve-year old who'd vanished on March 28 after heading to a birthday party -- but amid a wide-ranging search, members of the Prayers for Kayleah Wilson's Safe Return Facebook group tried to keep spirits up.

SBM
http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2010/05/kayleah_wilson_facebook_friend.php

I just read that comment. Now that's disturbing. What is it, I wonder, that the family might not be telling?

On a separate note, what kind of public outcry is necessary in order to get the conditions for an "Amber Alert" modified so that any minor child is immediately searched for, regardless of what the "theory" might be.

http://www.armtec.com/catalogue/Water Control/WaterControlGatesGeneral_FIN.pdf

this link shows pictures of any and all kinds of "water control gates" (what was opened when he found the body). What I want to know: was she behind or in front of the gate?

The only thing I can tell from the initial pictures of LE at the scene...it looks like she went through the gate and was at the bottom of the irrigation ditch, where it drops. The gate is at the top. It looked like they were looking down. Not sure though.....going to go back and look at the pictures.

comment number 68 at this link is **interesting**

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/kdvr/T1Q4NLCI1P090J8N6/p4

eta: sorry for "baiting" I just didn't want to quote the comment... but it is a person who seems to think someone in or close to the family knows something and should "man up" fwiw...
quoting myself as BeanE wanted me to edit this post. Sorry, didn't mean to "bait".. it is hard to remain within TOS when discussing a comment LOL...

"This area has been searched … at least twice," said Greeley police Sgt. Joe Tymkowych. "All this area, especially this unincorporated, undeveloped area, has been searched."
A worker inspecting the irrigation ditch following heavy rains discovered the body Wednesday at about 6 a.m. Volunteers searched the irrigation area in mid-April, but were restricted from areas that investigators may have searched.
"We did not actually walk the whole ditch itself because it is private property
," said Thompson. "It's possible that something could have been there."
The ditch backtracks upstream about 500 feet before reaching a drainage opening at 35th Avenue and 29th Street. According to Tymkowych, the drain continues underground, away from where the body was found, for more than a mile.
"There apparently is a flow of water from 47th (Avenue) to 35th (Avenue) and it daylights here," said Tymkowych.
Investigators took pictures at the drainage opening and collected evidence along the ditch.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/23615088/detail.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I think I may have missed using the Thanks button on every post I wanted to, but a big thanks to all of you posting maps, links to maps, and d photos. It has helped immensely!
:blowkiss:

23607900_640X480.jpg

bilde

The body was found resting inside this portion of the irrigation ditch along 29th Street and 35th Avenue on Wednesday morning.​

20100520_125605_cd20kayleah.jpg

Investigators search a ditch west of the Greeley Mall after the discovery Wednesday of a decomposed body. It was unknown whether it was related to the case of Kayleah Wilson, 12, who vanished in late March as she walked to a birthday party near the mall. Police said the area had been searched after she disappeared. (RJ Sangosti, The Denver Post)​

23615284_640X480.jpg

LE videotape the vigil

A slideshow of the area at this link.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads