CO CO - Kayleah Wilson, 12, Greeley, 28 March 2010 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the updates - things are clearer than yesterday that's for sure. Would a person NOT familiar with the area know about this ditch and waterway? Could a person shove a body down a manhole and have it end up at the place it did? TIA

comment number 68 at this link is **interesting**

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/kdvr/T1Q4NLCI1P090J8N6/p4

eta: sorry for "baiting" I just didn't want to quote the comment... but it is a person who seems to think someone in or close to the family knows something and should "man up" fwiw...

She dressed like your typical "tom boy" to me, at least from the pictures we have seen of her, the statement is apparently from someone who knows her as it says "I miss you".

The only thing i can come up with has to do with her sexual orientation and I don't think that is appropriate conversation but at the same time I hope this isn't a hate crime or a crime committed by someone who was "rejected". If it is true that the body was found "naked" then there more then likely is sexual undertones to this Horrific crime.

I pray for Kayleah and her family, My dd is 12 as well and I just couldn't even begin to imagine what her momma is going through.

O/T Mods please delete portion of post if you find inappropriate and I am very sorry in advance if anyone is offended as that honestly is not my intention at all, I just want justice for Kayleah and her family as well as finding ways to cease these types of acts on our children.
:furious:

The part about it being private property and not being searched physically is interesting. (again, for future cases, a good dog up on the ledge would have alerted to something down there, it's not that far)

The part about it being irrigation and not drainage is interesting as is the water not being turned on if you will until May.

I am pretty sure that if he opened the gate on Tuesday and a body slid out I would think he would have noticed that which makes me wonder if it's been there the whole time. Somewhere I thought I read that they said the body had been in/under water for an extended period of time. That would mean that it had NOT been stuffed into the empty (until the wknd) underground tube part of the system.

Perhaps the "ditch rider" wasn't looking into the ditch so carefully that he would have noticed anything or maybe the body was more submerged until the recent rains?

I also wonder what "evidence" they found along the bank? Clothes perhaps?

It doesn't sound like much water "rushes" through this thing until it's opened up for irrigation purposes. Water can absolutely remove every piece of clothing, socks, pants, underwear, you name it, all of it, but it doesn't sound like that would nec. be the case here. JMO.

It's private property, what is the security around it though? Are there fences all the way along it? How hard would it have been for someone to get in there with someone alive or dead?

http://www.armtec.com/catalogue/Water Control/WaterControlGatesGeneral_FIN.pdf

this link shows pictures of any and all kinds of "water control gates" (what was opened when he found the body). What I want to know: was she behind or in front of the gate?

I can see all the gates but there doesn't seem to be a way to find out if they are all opened via schedule, manually, automatic, weather-related etc unless you are with CPW(?). I don't know Greeley but have done a lot of water system SAR work in similar situations- it seems possible to me that the body could have been unknowingly 'shifted' from gated area to gated area either via controlled water flow or the opening of certain gates and closing of others in different parts of the system, during heavy rainfall.
If it was submerged for a period of time, then began to rise- this would affect travel as well. Kwim?

Thanks for all the updates - things are clearer than yesterday that's for sure. Would a person NOT familiar with the area know about this ditch and waterway? Could a person shove a body down a manhole and have it end up at the place it did? TIA

Many city water systems are similar in design. I would think anyone who has ever crawled through a sewer or other underground waste and water control system would have a decent idea of how they work and how water is shifted from place to place. (I know- doesn't seem like a lot of people would have access to this...but you'd be surprised. I know some teenagers that do it for fun.)

And I think- yes to the manhole question, if the manhole dumps into an active piping line.

I wonder what evidence was collected from the culvert across from her apt.? After all this time?

The part about it being private property and not being searched physically is interesting. (again, for future cases, a good dog up on the ledge would have alerted to something down there, it's not that far)

The part about it being irrigation and not drainage is interesting as is the water not being turned on if you will until May.

I am pretty sure that if he opened the gate on Tuesday and a body slid out I would think he would have noticed that which makes me wonder if it's been there the whole time. Somewhere I thought I read that they said the body had been in/under water for an extended period of time. That would mean that it had NOT been stuffed into the empty (until the wknd) underground tube part of the system.

Perhaps the "ditch rider" wasn't looking into the ditch so carefully that he would have noticed anything or maybe the body was more submerged until the recent rains?

It doesn't sound like much water "rushes" through this thing until it's opened up for irrigation purposes. Water can absolutely remove every piece of clothing, socks, pants, underwear, you name it, all of it, but it doesn't sound like that would nec. be the case here. JMO.

It's private property, what is the security around it though? Are there fences all the way along it? How hard would it have been for someone to get in there with someone alive or dead?[/QUOTE]

I thought about this yesterday and after looking at the map, you could drive right into the parking lot of Kendall printing and walk right over to where the location was.

Lots to read here: http://www.greeleygov.com/Stormwater/default.aspx

but this is the website for Greeley storm water management. I am still reading through it but will snip anything I find

Sounds like they did find some clothing according to the article in the Coloradoan.com.
I could not get the picture, sorry new at this.
A Greeley police officer examines a piece of clothing found in a drainage ditch Wednesday near where a body was found in Greeley. The body was found within a half mile of the home of Kayleah Wilson, 12, who has been missing since March. (Ed Andrieski/The Associated Press)

Sounds like they did find some clothing according to the article in the Coloradoan.com.
A Greeley police officer examines a piece of clothing found in a drainage ditch Wednesday near where a body was found in Greeley. The body was found within a half mile of the home of Kayleah Wilson, 12, who has been missing since March. (Ed Andrieski/The Associated Press)
here is a link to the article/picture you were talking about

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/2...-work-to-identify-body-found-in-Greeley-ditch

Many city water systems are similar in design. I would think anyone who has ever crawled through a sewer or other underground waste and water control system would have a decent idea of how they work and how water is shifted from place to place. (I know- doesn't seem like a lot of people would have access to this...but you'd be surprised. I know some teenagers that do it for fun.)

And I think- yes to the manhole question, if the manhole dumps into an active piping line.

If I read it correctly they didn't open the system up until Tues (at the time the body was found). I could be wrong though.

I don't know if all manholes are the same, but ours around here are very heavy and you need some sort of tool or a hooked piece of re-bar to get them open. Is that the case out there too? Not that it can't be done, just requires more planning.

It's private property, what is the security around it though? Are there fences all the way along it? How hard would it have been for someone to get in there with someone alive or dead?

In my experience, many cities and towns will shift from drainage to irrigation and back again both seasonally and when weather creates a need, because essentially both are waste water. It seems possible to me that with the amount of rain Greeley has had over the last several months, it is possible that the system was being used for both purposes periodically, and that at times it may have created a 'rush' of storm water or a 'rush' via a controlled release. If gates are being opened simultaneously in different areas, there might very well be enough force to cause a body to travel- and to remove clothing. Also- if the system is being used for both drainage and irrigation- then it's possible water was actually being shifted back and forth- causing a kind of 'whirlpool' effect.

Idk...but I certainly do agree that a good dog would have alerted at the top of a manhole, ditch, end of culvert, etc. Better even, to have walked or crawled the system with one. :(

Totally agree about the force, I was just under the impression that they had not been opened all winter long. Now, if that is incorrect then it completely changes what could have happened. KWIM?

A question about clothing removed by water-wouldn't it be more likely to be completely removed if there were strong currents in the water-rivers, oceans, etc? It seems like the water here would be relatively calm compared to that and that there would be something left on her. A sock, underwear, something.

If I read it correctly they didn't open the system up until Tues (at the time the body was found). I could be wrong though.

I don't know if all manholes are the same, but ours around here are very heavy and you need some sort of tool or a hooked piece of re-bar to get them open. Is that the case out there too? Not that it can't be done, just requires more planning.

I don't know about Greeley- but in many places I've seen you do need rebar or in some cases a winch- to get manhole covers off- however, they're also notorious for being accidentally left open , loose, or off. We've recovered quite a few accidental drownings or homicidal drownings due to open manholes (usually children.)
Also- some systems have open culverts that deadend entire systems- you can crawl right in if you're willing, and pop up all over a city via manhole.

I don't know about Greeley- but in many places I've seen you do need rebar or in some cases a winch- to get manhole covers off- however, they're also notorious for being accidentally left open , loose, or off. We've recovered quite a few accidental drownings or homicidal drownings due to open manholes (usually children.)
Also- some systems have open culverts that deadend entire systems- you can crawl right in if you're willing, and pop up all over a city via manhole.

Finally something good about sue happy California, they're pretty good here about keeping manholes covered up being that if someone did fall into them the liability would be huge!

Totally agree about the force, I was just under the impression that they had not been opened all winter long. Now, if that is incorrect then it completely changes what could have happened. KWIM?

Yes I do kwim. I don't know this either. But I can't imagine the system was dry all winter (?) The weather pattern is heavy precipitation, snow, and spring runoff followed by irrigation in the warmer months... Maybe I'm missing something or misreading the water management schematic?

Kayleah Wilson's disappearance: A Timeline

March 28
» 3:40 p.m.: Kayleah Wilson says goodbye to her mother, April Wilson, and leaves the apartment in the 2800 block of 28th Street. She's walking to meet a friend south of the Greeley Mall, then to go to a birthday party. It's likely she crosses U.S. 34 Bypass to get to the Greeley Mall.

» 10 p.m.: Discovering Kayleah did not make it to the party and did not return home, April Wilson calls Greeley police to report her daughter is missing. As is standard with missing older children — Kayleah is 12 — police handle it as a possible runaway and put out an alert to watch for her.

March 29
» Morning: Greeley police officers discuss the case, canvas the area and learn there is no indication that Kayleah is a runaway. Police spend the day questioning the family and friends of Kayleah and contacting possible witnesses in the neighborhood and the area south of the Greeley Mall.

» Police request an Amber Alert through the state but are told the case does not meet the requirements. Her name and photo are placed on state and national missing children sites. There is no evidence of her running away, nor is there any evidence of foul play.

March 30
» Morning: Search dogs are brought in but are unable to pick up a scent of the girl. Detectives decide it is time to send out a press release.

» 2:54 p.m.: The first press release with Kayleah's photo and description is e-mailed from the Greeley police to media throughout the state; police increase the number of officers and detectives working on the case. The FBI is asked to join the investigation.

March 31
» 9 a.m.: There are now 25 officers and detectives working the case. They search U.S. 34 Bypass near the house, looking through ditches, culverts and bushes. No evidence of Kayleah is found. About the same time, April Wilson passes out fliers of her daughter at Greeley West High School.

» The FBI sends agents to meet and join the investigation with Greeley detectives.

» April Wilson spends much of the day at the Greeley Police Department, trying to help find her daughter.

April 1
» FBI agents collect evidence from the Wilson home in central Greeley. Authorities say the type of evidence collected includes carpet samples, paint samples and other specimens that could help investigators later in the case.

» Students at Brentwood Middle School, which Kayleah attends, make ribbons to raise awareness of her disappearance.

April 2
» The Kayleah Wilson case becomes the Denver FBI's highest priority. “We have significant resources here assisting in this investigation,” says FBI Special Agent In Charge James Davis.

» Police say there will be a larger number of police cars and Weld County sheriff's vehicles on the Greeley streets in an effort to locate Kayleah.

» Police say they have looked at all the security camera video from businesses near the Greeley Mall to look for evidence that Kayleah was in the area.

» Police release new photos of Kayleah and a photo of the kind of asthma inhaler that she uses and ask the public to be on the lookout for any inhaler like this. They ask that if anyone does see a similar inhaler discarded that they not touch it and call police.

April 3
» A dive team from Union Colony Fire/Rescue Authority searches ponds in the Gateway Lakes Nature Area in south-central Greeley. Authorities on foot and horseback comb wooded, undeveloped areas between Greeley West High School and the CenterPlace shopping area.

April 4
» Kayleah grandmother, Brenda Jamison, and Kayleah's mother, April Wilson, are surrounded by family and friends as they attend Easter services at the Northern Colorado Cowboy Church in Lucerne. A week before she disappeared, Kayleah told her mother that she wanted to attend the church's Easter services. “Honestly, I wanted her to walk through the doors. It would have been lovely,” April Wilson says.

April 5
» A security camera videotape shows Kayleah walking by the mall on the day she disappeared, according to an FBI agent.

» Greeley Police Chief Jerry Garner at a press conference makes a plea to Kayleah to come home if she can.

» The number of law enforcement agents on the case reaches close to 100, with Greeley police, the FBI and the Weld County Sheriff's Office involved.

April 6
» The number of tips in Kayleah's disappearance surpasses 300.

April 7
» Kayleah's father, Michael Wilson of Redwood Valley, Calif., tells The Tribune that her disappearance has been difficult to cope with from so far away. “All I care about is getting her home safely,” he writes in an e-mail.

» A handful of people gather at Riverside Park in Evans to continue the search for Kayleah. The search is led by Ken Turner, Kayleah's cousin.

April 8
» Police respond to a lead about a backpack found that bears Kayleah's name. It turns out to be an old backpack that had been donated and later purchased at a church sale.

April 9
» About 75 people gather at Higher Grounds, 134 11th Ave. in Greeley, for a candlelight vigil for Kayleah. “This isn't a vigil that we have given up — it is a vigil that we are continuing to do our quest and bring her home,” said Michelle Thompson, who has organized a Facebook page in support of Kayleah.

April 10
» About 50 people join representatives from the Laura Recovery Center for Missing Children of Texas on a search for Kayleah.

April 11
» More than 140 volunteers join the Laura Recover Center search.

April 13
» The FBI scales back the hunt for Kayleah after two weeks of not finding leads or clues to her whereabouts. The number of FBI agents is cut and the command post in the Greeley police headquarters is closed. “We've cut back on the number of agents working the case, but they can be back up here immediately if something breaks,” FBI spokesman Dave Joly says.

April 16
» Authorities try to squelch rumors that Kayleah's body has been found. “We received a lot of calls about that, be we need to assure everyone that we're still searching,” said Greeley police Sgt. Joe Tymkowych.

April 17
» Rain hampers already-slow search efforts. A community search ends early because of weather. More than 50 people volunteers to look for the Greeley girl.

April 26
» Stories of Kayleah being found continue to circulate throughout Greeley and stream into the Greeley Police Department. The stories aren't true and they're difficult for the family. “It hurts when people do this,” April Wilson says.

May 8
» More than a dozen volunteers join a search in Windsor that is organized by Kayleah's mother. “There were hundreds of volunteers at first, but every little bit counts,” April Wilson says.

» The day before Mother's Day, April Wilson says Kayleah always made the holiday special. She says that since Kayleah's disappearance, she has had a hard time sleeping at night. “I'm constantly wondering where is she, where could she be? ... She didn't even take a coat. When it's rainy outside, my first thought is, ‘I hope she's inside.' ”

May 15
» April Wilson sits at a table at the Children's Safety Fair at CenterPlace Shopping Center in west Greeley. She has photos of her missing daughter and silently lets people know what can happen.

May 19
» About 6 a.m.: A ditch rider discovers a body in an irrigation ditch in southwest Greeley. The body is badly decomposed when it is discovered near a water gate. It is unknown if this is the body of the missing Greeley girl.

http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20100520/NEWS/100519606/1051&ParentProfile=1001

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jayrider129