CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have checked in a few times. The thread is moving quickly. But I don't see many news articles out there. Is there some new info that I don't know about? All I see is that police went to his house and searched and went back briefly. Then there is video of her shopping at Safeway. Do we know anything else? Is that his red truck that was hauled away?

You've already mentioned a cell booster previously. This would be common for someone working in an area with poor reception. This would increase the cell phone signal to extend to the closest tower(s), unless it gets switched to the next nearest tower farther away.

Correct if I'm misinterpreting. Perhaps there is are unique atmospheric conditions that would allow a cell phone to skip all intermediate cell towers and ping one in Gooding Idaho (near where PF stated Kelsey was going). Thanks in advance.

Am an engineer

I am just saying it is mathematically and physically possible, for a phone with a booster, on high ground, in a pickup truck, on a proper weather day to transmit a single ping, out of millions it is sending, to a single tower pointed in the right general direction.

It is a lot like we send low wattage radio signals to satellites in orbit.

Please excuse my word choice.

My intent was to imply "trigger"

Please forgive me
Legal question... does PF's attorney have access to whatever evidence LE produced to a judge to get the warrant? Or is that sealed along w/ the warrant?
No. his attorney would not have that info yet.

Am an engineer

I am just saying it is mathematically and physically possible, for a phone with a booster, on high ground, in a pickup truck, on a proper weather day to transmit a single ping, out of millions it is sending, to a single tower pointed in the right general direction.

It is a lot like we send low wattage radio signals to satellites in orbit.
And you think this is more likely than the alternative?

It’s rarely that complicated in cases like this.

I think it simply involved a vehicle, a cell phone, and a tower.

No signal booster necessary.

It doesn't surprise me his lawyer would make that statement and avoid mentioning a break up. I could be wrong but I think the "break up" may have been mentioned in the text message from Kelsey's phone. In which case, PF will want to claim he had no knowledge of relationship difficulties prior to that text message. If he says they broke up on Thanksgiving then all eyes are on him as a suspect and his lawyer knows that. I think PF may have given the "she broke up with me and said she was going to visit family in WA" story (and possibly sent that text message) before he got a lawyer's advice. Painting the relationship as "good" is the lawyer doing damage control now. The lawyer is also probably acutely aware of what KB's mom has said in the press and wants his statement to be in agreement with that. JMO.
What gave me pause is that somehow her family heard they had broken up, and we've assumed that was his excuse for not reporting her missing. If indeed he told the family when they called him that they had broken things off, to now deny that is a huge obstacle for him to overcome.

From what I've read, some pregnancy tests are over the counter.

Pregnancy Test: 5 Signs You Should Take One

Pregnancy tests are available OTC, they are usually just in the aisle, as are condoms. Plan B is only available from the pharmacy, but is available without a prescription if you are over 17. (I worked in the pharmacy at CVS throughout high school and college.)

Her cell pinged a Gooding, Idaho tower (however that is possible), but did her two texts originate from Idaho?
I haven't seen anything to confirm that the texts originated from Idaho. Anyone else? I just saw the early report that stated "her phone pinged in/near Gooding ID." I think rangerover12 is on to something.

The question is ... is it even possible for a person to be in Colorado and ping Idaho (600 miles away) at the same time?

The simple answer is "no". That tower received a radio signal that claimed to be from KB's phone. Even if you have some theory where it wasn't really KB's phone, there still had to be some piece of radio equipment transported to within ~100 miles of the tower.

My assumption is that PF isn't some sort of engineer or advanced radio hobbyist. The ability to generate a ping using anything but KB's actual phone is going to be well outside the ability of almost anyone. Even if you had the knowledge to generate a false ping, pulling together the custom equipment to do so on short notice would be difficult.
  • See "Authentication Relay Attack" in this paper for some idea how a false ping could be generated. However, being able to send a false ping doesn't mean you can send a spoofed text message.

From what I've read, some pregnancy tests are over the counter.

Pregnancy Test: 5 Signs You Should Take One
There are multiple pregnancy tests available otc in many stores. Grocery stores, pharmacy stores like cvs or Walgreens, big box stores like Walmart, even the dollar tree sells them. I’ve personally never heard of pregnancy tests not being otc. Unless it’s a blood test done at the doctors office.

Pregnancy tests are available OTC, they are usually just in the aisle, as are condoms. Plan B is only available from the pharmacy, but is available without a prescription if you are over 17. (I worked in the pharmacy at CVS throughout high school and college.)

Thanks for clarifying. I suspected as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member