Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Police return to Berreth’s home for another follow up search
In both press conferences on the search for missing mother Kelsey Berreth, Woodland Park Police Chief Miles De Young has been adamant about his intention to exhaust all avenues in the investigation.

“At this point, we are considering every possibility. And I’m not willing to jump to conclusions, or label people involved in this highly complex investigation,” De Young said on Dec. 10.

Those words were backed up by more police action Wednesday, when local, state and federal law enforcement returned to Kelsey Berreth’s home with evidence response equipment.

Police have not said exactly why they returned to either property, what they are looking for or what they have already found, citing the ongoing investigation.

Mark Pfoff, who served as a detective in the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office for 20 years before transitioning into becoming a computer forensics expert, said there are a few reasons why law enforcement would return.

“Specifically for something that was overlooked or missed. Or, now you’ve discovered more information because of the original execution of the search warrant, so you realize I want to go back,” Pfoff said. “There’s some other things that I want to look at now.”

Underlined and bolded by me. More people? Highly complex? Interesting. I hope the more people picked up on that and will come forward with what they know. MOO

So. Stay with me for a minute... I just finished a bit of a baking marathon and I’m slightly delirious. I made frosted Christmas cookies. It was my mother’s recipe before it was mine and her mother’s recipe before it was hers.. etc. It’s a bit time consuming but I do it so I can bring a dozen or so with me to various parties over the next few days. I like to bring a bit of my mom and grandma and my family tradition to friends homes over the holidays.

It made me think of KB calling her mom for a recipe. I simply do not believe she was going “out” to a restaurant on Thanksgiving. I think she was planning to make some dish that she felt would bring a bit herself and her tradition to wherever she was going. Someone’s home. She didn’t just run off on vacation in the middle of that. So the question becomes - why wasn’t she missed at this place where she was bringing a dish? The more I think about that, the stranger it seems. Everything is just so wrong about this story.

Obviously, JMO.

I understand what you're saying, but I never say I'm going out to dinner when I'm going to a friend's house or family gathering. I never hear other people say that either, but maybe the recipe was Christmas cookies that she wanted to make for when they decorated the tree and have something K could "help" with. It could have been a breakfast casserole for the next day or a dish to carry to church.

I think we need your recipe as evidence.

When this is all said and done there needs to be a review of what info justified the warrant.
I imagine that PF and his family would appreciate your line of thinking. As an outsider reviewing the information that LE and KB’s family have provided thus far, I find it completely justified. PF is an important and natural suspect as “possibly” the last person that saw KB. I say exhaust that suspect to the point he’s no longer viable. Besides, his level of cooperation is suspect in itself!

I would guess that whoever took the phone to Idaho would have turned the location setting to "off" the minute they had control of the phone IF they were aware of it. Perhaps that's why LE's main focus has only been on PF's and KB's properties? If the location setting was "on" on the 22nd and that changed?

if one is using Google as their main search engine, the phones location is tracked by GPS.

Even though Google gives instructions on how to pause or stop it, none really do what one expects.

Funny thing, Google has $95 billion reasons why they want locations of everyone at any given time.
AP Exclusive: Google tracks your movements, like it or not

A snippet: ...
“Storing your minute-by-minute travels carries privacy risks and has been used by police to determine the location of suspects — such as a warrant that police in Raleigh, North Carolina, served on Google last year to find devices near a murder scene. So the company lets you “pause” a setting called Location History.

Google says that will prevent the company from remembering where you’ve been. Google’s support page on the subject states: “You can turn off Location History at any time. With Location History off, the places you go are no longer stored.”

That isn’t true.” ...

LE going back to KB’s house yesterday tells me they either didn’t get anything during the search of the F property/residence, PF’s truck or the trash and they are going back to the beginning or they did get something and needed to go back through her house. Hnnnnnn......

LE going back to KB’s house yesterday tells me they either didn’t get anything during the search of the F property/residence, PF’s truck or the trash and they are going back to the beginning or they did get something and needed to go back through her house. Hnnnnnn......
The biggest takeaway I had from their search yesterday was that they brought things into the home. They weren't seen bringing anything out. So for me, that left me to believe that it's a continuation of the path that they are already headed down, not starting from scratch. JMO.

I'd say they have something and are looking for something specific in her house

See, the employer being texted tends to make me believe that KB sent that text. (Occam, and all that.) I know that there are a thousand theories of how the texts could have been sent from Idaho by someone else, but AFAIK there's not a shred of evidence that we are privy to that would support any of those theories. (e.g., nobody has suggested that PF wasn't near home over that weekend or the following week)

Most employers, in my limited experience, would fire an employee for leaving a text message instead of calling and speaking to a supervisor or manager. Usually, you have to ask for time off verbally or in writing at least the day before or else it is considered as a no-show. She wasn't working at McDonald's. Yes, there are some people who get away with things like that, but I don't think she was one. AFAIK, she may have been fired for it if she showed up after a week. MOO.

I imagine that PF and his family would appreciate your line of thinking. As an outsider reviewing the information that LE and KB’s family have provided thus far, I find it completely justified. PF is an important and natural suspect as “possibly” the last person that saw KB. I say exhaust that suspect to the point he’s no longer viable. Besides, his level of cooperation is suspect in itself!
It's suspect only in our minds because we do not know what law enforcement knows. Perhaps they have exhausted PF and they are moving on. Only those here with tunnel vision are still riding the PF did it merry go round.

I’m hoping that someone with more expertise could clarify for me. I have read quite a few posts saying that KB was most likely not murdered in her home, because there is no crime scene.

If she had been choked/strangled there, and fairly quickly removed from the home, would there necessarily be physical evidence of the crime?

Referring back to the murder of Nancy Cooper. (Whose husband behaved somewhat similarly to PF by not attending most press conferences and vigils/not checking in on investigation etc.) Nancy’s body was found a couple days after she was reported missing, by a friend. She had been choked/strangled. The thought was that her husband had murdered her in their home, but there was no physical evidence of this. I think he dumped her body w/in a few miles of their home very soon after the murder. Which brings me to another question. Was it because it was a quick trip that cadaver dogs didn’t alert on his car (I’m assuming they didn’t, because I don’t remember that being reported at trial). I do remember neighbors reporting that he (Brad Cooper) had subsequently pulled his car into his garage...something he normally never did, and did some significant cleaning of the interior of the car. (He told LE he spilled gas, so that’s why he did deep cleaning). I thought someone here posted here about factors that allow cadaver dogs to be able to detect a corpse.

So, in summary, I’m wondering:
1. If KB was strangled in her home, would there necessarily be evidence/a crime scene?
2. If cadaver dog’s did not alert on any particular vehicles, does that mean 100% there was no diseased body ever there? Or can deep cleaning remove trace evidence?
3. Assuming cadaver dogs didn’t alert in any vehicles, does that suggest a body might not have been in the vehicle for significant time? Ie. Suggesting body was dumped not too terribly far away from crime scene?

Death in Pleasantville: Nancy Cooper was strangled — six years later, her husband has confessed

I aologize for the graphic nature of my post. Just trying to figure out what is/is not possible. TIA for any input.

MOO

OR another set of fingerprints of DNA from the townhouse came back from the crime lab or video they reviewed told a new tale.
Possibilities!

if one is using Google as their main search engine, the phones location is tracked by GPS.

Even though Google gives instructions on how to pause or stop it, none really do what one expects.

Funny thing, Google has $95 billion reasons why they want locations of everyone at any given time.
AP Exclusive: Google tracks your movements, like it or not

A snippet: ...
“Storing your minute-by-minute travels carries privacy risks and has been used by police to determine the location of suspects — such as a warrant that police in Raleigh, North Carolina, served on Google last year to find devices near a murder scene. So the company lets you “pause” a setting called Location History.

Google says that will prevent the company from remembering where you’ve been. Google’s support page on the subject states: “You can turn off Location History at any time. With Location History off, the places you go are no longer stored.”

That isn’t true.” ...
I imagine that's why John McAfee still uses a flip phone?

For the techs out there, if my phone is in a faraday cage (tin foil) and no calls are coming in, can Google's GPS still track my phone?

I’m hoping that someone with more expertise could clarify for me. I have read quite a few posts saying that KB was most likely not murdered in her home, because there is no crime scene.

If she had been choked/strangled there, and fairly quickly removed from the home, would there necessarily be physical evidence of the crime?

Referring back to the murder of Nancy Cooper. (Whose husband behaved somewhat similarly to PF by not attending most press conferences and vigils/not checking in on investigation etc.) Nancy’s body was found a couple days after she was reported missing, by a friend. She had been choked/strangled. The thought was that her husband had murdered her in their home, but there was no physical evidence of this. I think he dumped her body w/in a few miles of their home very soon after the murder. Which brings me to another question. Was it because it was a quick trip that cadaver dogs didn’t alert on his car (I’m assuming they didn’t, because I don’t remember that being reported at trial). I do remember neighbors reporting that he (Brad Cooper) had subsequently pulled his car into his garage...something he normally never did, and did some significant cleaning of the interior of the car. (He told LE he spilled gas, so that’s why he did deep cleaning). I thought someone here posted here about factors that allow cadaver dogs to be able to detect a corpse.

So, in summary, I’m wondering:
1. If KB was strangled in her home, would there necessarily be evidence/a crime scene?
2. If cadaver dog’s did not alert on any particular vehicles, does that mean 100% there was no diseased body ever there? Or can deep cleaning remove trace evidence?
3. Assuming cadaver dogs didn’t alert in any vehicles, does that suggest a body might not have been in the vehicle for significant time? Ie. Suggesting body was dumped not too terribly far away from crime scene?

Death in Pleasantville: Nancy Cooper was strangled — six years later, her husband has confessed

I aologize for the graphic nature of my post. Just trying to figure out what is/is not possible. TIA for any input.

MOO
CW crime scene- missing bedding. Other than that, since they were choked/strangled I don’t think there was physical evidence that the murders occurred there.

Most employers, in my limited experience, would fire an employee for leaving a text message instead of calling and speaking to a supervisor or manager. Usually, you have to ask for time off verbally or in writing at least the day before or else it is considered as a no-show. She wasn't working at McDonald's. Yes, there are some people who get away with things like that, but I don't think she was one. AFAIK, she may have been fired for it if she showed up after a week. MOO.

I've never had to call in, email or text was always fine, and I worked for DoD, which she did too in a capacity.

She is the mother of his child. He has not asked anyone to search for her, issued even a statement saying, “KB please come home for the sake of our daughter!” He has not distributed one flyer. Some say, “Well she is in rehab.” We don’t have any proof of her having any issues. If she did, and was in Rehab, LE would know that by now. They have said this is highly suspicious and the FBI is involved. She is missing, it’s suspicious and he is the coldest fiancé I have ever seen.

The fact that LE has performed follow up searches of both properties might be fine and perhaps LE is simply narrowing or refining its case and/or understanding of the evidence, I don’t get a warm and fuzzy feeling that they’re getting closer. Obviously I hope they are.

Apologies if this has been covered already, but where is the community search effort? No horses, ATVs, no organized community search. Family and friends meeting and encouraging others to come out and help with the search. These normally happen pretty quickly after someone goes missing. This is still a missing person case, according to LE. Can someone give an explanation why there's no effort in KB's case? Employer? church? social groups? mom group? old friends?
I don't want to speculate too much, but I'm sure you see where I'm going. I have no idea if any of that is going on, but it's normally something you see and hear. SM posts about upcoming search effort, meet at *advertiser censored*, etc. People will post it here on WS for others to see. IMO, there is something to this aspect of the case.

I believe that is what was PF communicated to the family early on - something to make people think it would be expected for her to go silent for a little bit. Maybe a flight somewhere or training? I think that's why her mom didn't report her missing at first. He clearly had quite the story at the beginning. and then whatever resolution he said would happen at a certain time, never happened.

ITA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member