CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #19 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"... Adam Steigerwald, said it was impossible to represent his client when the state wouldn't release the probable cause affidavit outlining the case against Frazee. Prosecutors said they would release the affidavit to Steigerwald Monday, but said he couldn't discuss the document with Frazee.

That brought an obvious objection from Steigerwald.

Billings-Vela questioned the move, and called it a "direct tension with the Sixth Amendment."

"How’s counsel supposed to start preparing if he can’t even discuss the information he’s receiving?" Billings-Vela said. "I’m well aware there are multiple investigations, and I want to make sure they’re not hampered, but Frazee has the right to be represented by counsel who can inform him."

Prosecutors asked for a hold of seven to 10 days before Frazee could see the affidavit, ..."

This! The accused has a constitutional right to know about the charges against him while he is being held in jail, seemingly indefinitely. Where I live, they cannot just hold someone like this without informing them of the evidence against him. Re: The prosecutor must ultimately reveal everything including exculpatory findings, the defense is not required to reveal anything to the prosecution. The defendant does not have to prove his innocence, but it seems many think that he does.

frazee4.jpeg

Patrick Frazee appeared in Teller County court on Monday, Dec. 31, 2018.

CRIPPLE CREEK, Colo. — Patrick Frazee, the man accused of killing his fiancee Kelsey Berreth, was charged with five felony counts on Monday morning by Teller County prosecutors.
Frazee, 32, was charged with first-degree murder, first-degree felony murder and three counts of solicitation to commit first-degree murder.
[...]
Frazee learned of the charges during a court appearance on Monday in Cripple Creek. He was not asked to enter a plea and did not speak at the hearing.
Patrick Frazee, accused of killing missing fiancee Kelsey Berreth, charged with 5 felony counts

MLC, could P parked his truck somewhere after the neighbor reported seeing him there, and walked back in? Tia

Wondering if he took his daughter to the ranch & returned. I would not find it odd at all if K wanted to enjoy a relaxing day alone on Tday. Maybe she preferred R & R.
I may be misinterpreting your post I don't think he could have walked from her house to his ranch. Again, sorry if I'm misunderstanding

Question for you PommyMommy or one of our lawyers..
Is it possible the robbery charge is nothing more than him stealing her phone to move it to Idaho to send texts? That would be a felony charge due to the high cost of a phone alone. And then you add it in connection to murder. Could the solicitation include three separate individuals he tried to persuade to commit this for him?
@riolove77, if you're still around would you mind responding to these questions? TIA :)

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV) - New details emerged publicly in the case against a man accused of killing his fiance.

11 News was one of the first to obtain new information Monday morning in the arrest of Patrick Frazee. He's accused of killing missing Woodland Park mom Kelsey Berreth. Her body has not been found.

Frazee is now formally charged with two counts of first degree murder and three counts of solicitation to commit first degree murder. The two charges of first-degree murder are under different theories of the alleged crime. One states Frazee killed Berreth with intent and deliberation. The other alleges she died during the execution of a separate crime. Just before his court appearance in Cripple Creek, 11 News obtained court documents that indicate prosecutors believe Frazee tried to hire someone between Sept. 1 and Nov. 1 to kill Berreth.

4th Judicial District Attorney Dan May said it isn't clear if the death penalty will be sought in the case.
BREAKING: New details in Patrick Frazee charges released for suspected murder of Kelsey Berreth

I disagree there was any "planned robbery," and simply believe the missing purse and phone resulted in additional murder charge per Colorado statute.
I absolutely agree with this. IMO during the act of the murder, and to stage a “she left” scene, they took her purse, and left with it. Which is robbery. I take it that burglary was not the word used, so it was taken from her ,not just from the residence after she was removed. Yes?

Hmmm. Labor Day Weekend.
COLORADO STATE FAIR & RODEO
When:
Aug. 24-Sept. 3
Where: 1001 Beulah Ave., Pueblo

The Grand Ol' List of Colorado Fairs and Rodeos in Summer 2018

I understood the "robbery" reference was and example for the 2 different murder charges? Like if you hold up a liquor store and accidently kill the clerk in the process it's still First Degree, not there was any robbery at KB's

Solicitation. Thinking if he asked around at the Pueblo rodeo and was sent to 2 different people, or maybe if he asked among 3 people all at once?

There was a robbery, according to charges.
I mentioned Labor Day weekend, above. Always a big rodeo weekend. Perhaps someone saw him there & can not remember the exact date but recalls what they were doing & where they were.

Prosecutors file charges against Patrick Frazee in connection with disappearance of Kelsey Berreth
Judge Linda Billings-Vela ruled that Frazee's arrest affidavit will remain unavailable to the public, but the defense will be able to look at it.

The next hearing in the case will be Friday at 1:30 p.m. During this hearing, the court will discuss a motion regarding consumptive testing, which is testing in which a piece of evidence must be destroyed in order to obtain information from it. They'll also discuss a motion to make the arrest affidavit available to Frazee himself.

Evidence and testimony will be presented at a preliminary hearing on January 29 at 9 a.m. Frazee will be required to enter a plea after that. After Frazee enters the plea, the prosecution will have nine weeks to determine whether or not they will seek the death penalty.

I absolutely agree with this. IMO during the act of the murder, and to stage a “she left” scene, they took her purse, and left with it. Which is robbery

Agree. See post 1161, for clarity on robbery, if you like.

PF could make his defense attorney’s job a lot easier by telling him a lot about what happened. But doubt he’s doing that. Instead, mum and poker face is the plan.

There was a robbery, according to charges.
I mentioned Labor Day weekend, above. Always a big rodeo weekend. Perhaps someone saw him there & can not remember the exact date but recalls what they were doing & where they were.
Oh, duh! Thanks Trudie:)

This blew me away. I have never heard of such a thing and that is not to say it has never has happened before.

The request by prosecution for defense not to discuss with PF.

I was not happy with that request, guilty or innocent we all have rights and to put that before a judge to me was ludicrous.

ETA: JMO
I agree. There must be a really good reason the DA asked for this. They know people's rights.

Berreth's family was not in the courtroom on Monday, but Frazee's mother was seated in the front row as she is now fighting for custody of her son's daughter. [BBM]

A judge awarded custody of Kaylee to the maternal grandparents on a temporary basis.

Court records filed after a hearing last week also revealed that a custody battle could be brewing between the families.

'Paternal grandmother file a motion to intervene. The parties agreed to reserve for later hearing paternal grandmother’s motion to intervene and placement request,' read a summary of the hearing. 'The court continued the temporary custody of the minor child with maternal grandparents.'
Kelsey Berreth may have been killed during robbery, Patrick Frazee facing five murder charges | Daily Mail Online

Patrick Frazee may have killed Kelsey Berreth during attempted robbery; multiple solicitation charges could mean additional people were involved in alleged murder
In a news conference following a hearing to present Patrick Frazee with formal charges in the murder case against Kelsey Berreth, who has been missing since Thanksgiving.

As CrimeOnline previously reported, Frazee was formally charged with five counts on Monday morning: Two counts of first-degree murder and three counts of solicitation of first-degree murder. Teller County District Attorney Dan May explained the multiple charges at a news conference following the hearing, pointing out that the two counts of first-degree murder were based on evidence supporting two theories; that Frazee premeditated the murder of his fiancee and mother of his 1-year-old daughter, and that Frazee killed Berreth during an attempted robbery, also premeditated.

Dvwjt6HV4AU-NVu.jpg

Dvwjt6IU8AETrPR.jpg

In response to reporter questions about the three separate solicitation charges, May said he could not publicly identify any individuals associated with those charges, but said they were not based on separate theories. May said the three charges were “self-evident,” insinuating but not explicitly stating that they may refer to more than one person Frazee allegedly solicited in a conspiracy to murder Berreth, who has not been seen since Thanksgiving Day. At minimum, the charges appear to reference three separate incidents of solicitation although the number of individuals involved is not clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lily89