CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #47 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Monday, March 4th:
*Motions Hearing (@ 8:30am MT) - CO – Kelsey Berreth (29) (last seen Nov. 22, 2018, Woodland Park; phone pinged 800 miles away in Gooding, Idaho on 11/25/18 @ 5:13pm, reported missing Dec. 2, 2018; not found) – *Patrick Michael Frazee (32) “fiancé” arrested (12/21/18) & charged (12/31/18) with 1st degree murder & 3 counts of solicitation to commit 1st degree murder & 1st degree felony murder (death during attempted robbery). Held without bond.
Was a suspect as of 12/15/18. Search warrant executed 12/14/18. Search & arrest warrants are sealed. The little girl, who had been staying with her dad up until his arrest, is now in protective custody & will be reunited with Berreth’s family. 12/27/18: The court continued the temporary custody of the minor child with maternal grandparents, but the Teller County Dept. of Human Services will retain legal custody.
Court hearings from 12/21/18 to 1/3/19 - reference post #237 here: Deceased/Not Found - CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #39 *ARREST*
Court hearings from 1/4/19 to 2/19/19 reference post #769 here: Deceased/Not Found - CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #40 *ARREST*
2/19/19 (Partial Update): Defense attorney Stiegerwald now asking the court to review the third count, felony murder tied to robbery, and suggests the judge review evidence presented today to toss that count out. Judge finds proof evident for tampering with evidence too. He’ll be held without bond. Judge asked defense to set trial or arraignment. Defense asks for arraignment, saying the DA’s Office just emailed 3,300 pages of discovery to him. Arraignment now set for April 8 at 8:30 a.m. Judge now addressing motions to unseal the arrest (probable cause) affidavit. DA Dan May says he has no objection to releasing any of the search or arrest warrants after talking with law enforcement. May says there were 32 search warrants in conversation with the defense. Defense still wants it sealed & would like the media to talk with the defense before requesting future motions. Judge ruled to release the arrest warrant, but deferred judgment on the entire docket. Should be released later today or tomorrow — they need time to redact. Judge Sells admits he hasn’t reviewed all search warrants, so he will not release those yet. State now bringing up its motion for consumptive testing (first brought back on Dec. 31). Defense says it’s not ready to address that. Judge set that for a separate legal argument hearing on March 4 at 8:30 a.m. Defense asks court to amend order limiting contact from Frazee to KF. They’re asking for the court to address it moving forward. Judge agrees.
*Krystal Jean “Lee” Kenney (32) charged with tampering with physical evidence.
2/2/19: is scheduled to appear in a Teller County courtroom on Friday, Feb. 8 @ 8:30am. She will enter a plea deal with prosecutors (may plea for the destruction of the cell phone). She was believed to have disposed of Berreth's cell phone in the days after she was last seen alive. The probable cause statement has been sealed.
2/8/19 Update: Prosecutor says Kenney has agreed to plead guilty to one count of tampering with physical evidence, a class 6 felony, with an open sentence. Judge says WHEN sentencing happens, she could get 12-18 months in prison, community corrections, or probation. Could also be 90 days in El Paso County jail. Aggravated sentence could be attached at end of trial. Kenney will testify against Frazee in exchange for her plea deal. Won't be sentenced till that prosecution is complete. She is barred from speaking with press under deal. Monday June 24th at 11 AM there will be a review hearing for Kenney. They will differ charges at that point & will set up a periodic review every 90 days or so. Prosecution wants plea papers kept from public. Judge grants motion.

Is it possible that PF traded services or worked for other cattle ranchers over the Thanksgiving weekend since he was staying in the area? I had thought maybe he would visit his own cattle even twice daily in Nov after they've been brought in - but you have verified PF's were already moved off to Westcliffe. Maybe the cattle owned by others were at Nash Ranch, needed feeding, check pregnant ones, owners out of town for holiday? Gives cat and dog sitting a new perspective, cattle sitting.

You make some good points. In the 1880's one cowhand defined his job as "a human fence". Today, you won't find any true working cowboys who will deny it. IMO

Kenney told Slater she didn’t put anything in the coffee. Kelsey took the coffee, Slater said. Kenney tried building a rapport with Kelsey at Frazee’s direction, suggesting a play date in the future. Kenney gave Krystal (has to be "Kelsey") a number for a burner phone she bought, again at Frazee’s direction.
However, Kenney allegedly told authorities she didn’t put anything in the coffee. Kenney told police “she didn’t drug the coffee because ‘she didn’t want to hurt her.’ Kenney communicated with Frazee after this. She said he was angry & sent an apology text later that day,” the testimony alleged.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/01/krystal-jean-lee-kenney-idaho/

If KKL had poisened the macchiato, then KB would have been in which constitution: sedated or dead?
If KB was thought (by PF) to be dead after KKL's visit, it makes no sense building a rapport before and giving a burner phone number away.
If KB was thought (by PF) to be "only" sedated, then I ask: why/for what? What proceeding would have followed exactly?

Last edited by a moderator:
If KKL had poisened the macchiato, then KB would have been in which constitution: sedated or dead?
If KB was thought (by PF) to be dead after KKL's visit, it makes no sense building a rapport before and giving a burner phone number away.
If KB was thought (by PF) to be "only" sedated, then I ask: why/for what? What proceeding would have followed exactly?
sbm
excellent point FG.
kkl hedging her bets...……….as usual.

eta.....it doesn't make sense.
if pf instructed her to poison her dead how could she be at his instruction also working on play dates??

I’ve followed cases on websleuths for awhile now but never been so personally affected as I have with KB, and never posted on here before but I wanted to share a link. I’m not sure if this has made national news, because it’s *somewhat* local to me, but this case is so eerily similar to KB’s, so I thought it might be relevant in the sense of watching both cases unravel and looking for more possible similarities/comparisons. I haven’t found the websleuths page for this case yet, but it there is one that any of you know of, please link.

Air Force major, based in S.A., suspected in wife's death https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/Air-Force-major-based-in-San-Antonio-suspected-13660143.php?t=15b849e8d8
Welcome to WS!
Yes there are many similarities to PF and Chris Watts also.
Successful SO, macho husband can't deal with Female's
financial success. Male's weak ego. Male can't control her.
So kill her. Sick 's.

Kenney told Slater she didn’t put anything in the coffee. Kelsey took the coffee, Slater said. Kenney tried building a rapport with Kelsey at Frazee’s direction, suggesting a play date in the future. Kenney gave Krystal (has to be "Kelsey") a number for a burner phone she bought, again at Frazee’s direction.
However, Kenney allegedly told authorities she didn’t put anything in the coffee. Kenney told police “she didn’t drug the coffee because ‘she didn’t want to hurt her.’ Kenney communicated with Frazee after this. She said he was angry & sent an apology text later that day,” the testimony alleged.

The sedation would allow for easier attack that a blindfold game in my opinion. I have said this before as in the Laci Peterson case, there was evidence she was drugged and made ill prior to her eventual death. I would propose that KB's long daily drives were great opportunities to give her even one unknown Ambien and that would be dangerous. I also think some of the drugs may account for her severe fatigue. I found the report of severe fatigue unusual for a presenting case of depression. I could believe severe anxiety with moderate fatigue. Knowing that you have one person in and out her house with access to medications that impair you when you drive is a scary thought. Not only that but with Ambien you have limited to no memory of what has occurred. People take them on flights and get off planes with no idea where they are at. Just a thought.... KB could have been experiencing symptoms of depression and anxiety and/or prescription drug manipulation with similar effects or both.

• The murder, according to KK (through PF), happened in a back office/second bedroom.
  • According to testimony PF left the murder scene and then went to have Thanksgiving dinner with his family. Later, he allegedly returned to collect KB’s body and burned it.
  • PF went to Thanksgiving dinner with his family that same night, according to Slater’s testimony.
  • Slater says PF put KB’s body in black bag in truck — and drove to celebrate Thanksgiving with family.
Taken from the timeline at the beginning of this thread which I decided to refresh myself on. I would guess this must show the difference in tweets/acoustics by different reporters or the different testimony? I have no idea.

If one looks at the dates of other things as well, much does not match the affidavit.

The above is just a sampling.

It may be just what has been heard in the courtroom or reported, or mistakes in testimony. The above, however, gives very conflicting accounts of what we know.
Just to clarify, the murder was said to have taken place in the living room, and Frazee put the baby in a playpen in the back bedroom, according to the affidavit.

sbm
excellent point FG.
kkl hedging her bets...……….as usual.

eta.....it doesn't make sense.
if pf instructed her to poison her dead how could she be at his instruction also working on play dates??
Maybe the playdate idea was something KK came up with while she was there, and not an idea of Frazees.
Either way, I also suspected KK may have actually spiked the coffee and Kelsey didn't drink it. Maybe PF called KB later that day and realized she was fine so they had to call it off that time. Imo

With the Watts Case, many here did not suspect, there would be a Plea Deal, during early proceedings.
Could we be surprised tomorrow?
I hope so.:D
That would be great, but would that even be addressed in a hearing regarding the consumptive DNA evidence?
I'm very curious to find out what the item is that they are testing. Some have speculated that it may be one of the guns. I guess we will soon find out.

Yes indeed. This makes NO sense whatsoever, building a rapport with someone you're supposed to poison, all at PF's direction no less. She's still a liar in my books.

KK has spun a few tales and the defence will "have at her" for it. I recall either in the AA or the tweets from the courtroom (can't remember which) it was stated that KK's timeline was a bit jumbled. No doubt. She was running on empty with almost no sleep. I'm still trying to figure out why they had to go back to KB's to pick up a truck :) Has anyone here sorted that out? I do recall it was stated that they loaded the "black plastic tote with the silver handles" (just a reminder :)) into PF's red pickup at Nash Ranch to transport to the ranchette for burning. Any ideas? Or has this already been sorted out?

Kelsey Berreth's fiance due back in court
Patrick Frazee, 32, is expected for a hearing on pre-trial motions at 8:30 a.m. before Teller County District Judge Scott Sells.

Prosecutors are expected to ask the judge to grant them permission to conduct “consumptive testing” on an undisclosed item of evidence, meaning that the material is so small or fragile that it will be destroyed in the process.

The judge may also hear arguments over requests by media outlets to unseal investigative documents in the case, including search warrants.

The sedation would allow for easier attack that a blindfold game in my opinion. I have said this before as in the Laci Peterson case, there was evidence she was drugged and made ill prior to her eventual death. I would propose that KB's long daily drives were great opportunities to give her even one unknown Ambien and that would be dangerous. I also think some of the drugs may account for her severe fatigue. I found the report of severe fatigue unusual for a presenting case of depression. I could believe severe anxiety with moderate fatigue. Knowing that you have one person in and out her house with access to medications that impair you when you drive is a scary thought. Not only that but with Ambien you have limited to no memory of what has occurred. People take them on flights and get off planes with no idea where they are at. Just a thought.... KB could have been experiencing symptoms of depression and anxiety and/or prescription drug manipulation with similar effects or both.
Since we heard about the Ambien reference in the affidavit, I too have been thinking that it is a possibility that KB’s fatigue could have been the result of a scheme whereby someone was discreetly drugging her. Just something that crossed my mind, however I know nothing about Ambien so it may not even be possible to slowly and discreetly use it to cause severe fatigue.

Former detective explains possible search warrant tactics in Berreth case
On Dec. 6, with Kelsey Berreth’s family in Colorado looking for their missing loved one, Berreth’s brother found a spot of blood around the toilet inside her townhome.

“Investigators have recovered a number of items that make us suspicious that the crime did occur at Kelsey’s residence, and that’s why we have been coming back to her residence,” said Woodland Park Police Chief Miles De Young at a Dec. 21 press conference, announcing the arrest of Berreth’s fiancé Patrick Frazee.

It was missed by Woodland Park Police and the Colorado Bureau of Investigation in the days before. That had several people questioning how law enforcement could have missed a pivotal piece of evidence and what they look for in similar situations.

At the benefit of hindsight, News 5 sat down with John San Agustin, a former detective with the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office, to discuss how searches begin in missing person investigations.

Last edited:
Lance Benzel‏ @lancebenzel
On the scene for #PatrickFrazee’s pretrial motions hearing in Cripple Creek. Just a few reporters so far — reflection that big news isn’t expected. If it happens, we’re here. ⁦@csgazette#KelseyBerreth
D00rB8NU8AEN5C8.jpg

Ashley Franco‏ @AshleyKKTV
I’m at the Teller County courthouse where at 8:30 #PatrickFrazee will be back in court for a motions hearing. I’ll be live tweeting from the courtroom. @KKTV11News

I can't explain why someone else came up with different numbers. 5:30 pm on the 24th doesn't work for me, because she would have missed Nash Ranch and the bonfire altogether, and 5:30 am on the 25th is impossible, because she couldn't have made it to Hansen, Idaho by 10:30 am. IMO
Snipped the piece above ...I agree, perhaps they were taking it from the affidavit item 35 where KKL first says that she was at PF’s from 9AM-5PM on the 24th to look at a horse, this was info she provided LE when they called her on 12/14 while she was in Vegas, that ultimately was determined to be a lie and she told LE that PF gave her the narrative to tell FBI should they call her.

Just to clarify, the murder was said to have taken place in the living room, and Frazee put the baby in a playpen in the back bedroom, according to the affidavit.

I know and it was exactly why I posted it as an example. The tweets are full of things that do not match the dates we know of as well. Take a look at the 25th, things that supposedly happened on the 24th now happened on the 25th. It just shows that someone joining and reading to get up to speed may have facts that differ from the AA. Most likely due to the rapid fire tweets and poor acoustics but some of it seems like it had to come from erroneous testimony. Not sure.

I only gave a small sampling because I do not want to confuse the facts from the AA but it concerns me case wise whatever the reason for the sheer number of mismatched information.

I personally wish the transcript would be released. smh.

I know and it was exactly why I posted it as an example. The tweets are full of things that do not match the dates we know of as well. Take a look at the 25th, things that supposedly happened on the 24th now happened on the 25th. It just shows that someone joining and reading to get up to speed may have facts that differ from the AA. Most likely due to the rapid fire tweets and poor acoustics but some of it seems like it had to come from erroneous testimony. Not sure.

I only gave a small sampling because I do not want to confuse the facts from the AA but it concerns me case wise whatever the reason for the sheer number of mismatched information.

I personally wish the transcript would be released. smh.

I noted this during the tweeting. Same events with different dates by different tweeters. It was a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valafares