CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Traveling by bus or hitchhiking does not make sense. Jmo.

The fact that her phone was last in Gooding, ID doesn't make sense, either, but you have to admit that the location is not random.

There are all sorts of ways KB and/or the phone could have gotten there, but I won't speculate further until we have more information.

Just caught up with the case. What jumps out at me are:

* Her family asked LE for a welfare check on Nov 25 and that happens to be the same day that her phone suddenly pings hundreds of miles away.

* Unclear how baby could be at the store with mother yet mother was last seen at the store. How did the baby get home, for pete's sake?

jmo
With regard to the ping in Idaho, if I reeeeeeally wanted to get rid of a phone and wanted it to go to a certain state, I might go to an interstate highway rest stop headed in that direction and wait for someone with an open bed pickup bearing plates of desired state. Wait until driver is out of sight and place phone somewhere in the bed of truck. Within a couple days battery would be dead. Who knows when the phone might be found by vehicle owner. Lots of people traveling this time of year. Just an idea.

ETA: I just saw that the texts to employer and fiance were sent the same day as ping in Idaho, so that would make this much more difficult unless texts were sent very early in am, phone placed almost immediately in another vehicle, and ping in Idaho was significantly later.

Does anyone know the actual physical location of the phone? Where is it now?

What is your source?
I'm not the OP, but the press conference is available for viewing online. Anyone can watch/listen to the words to see if you think Kelsey's mom said Kelsey loves her God or if she loves her dog (a dog that nobody else is talking about and is so precious that there are no pictures of it).

When it comes to coverage of the press conference, we don't have to rely on reporters. We can listen ourselves.

jmo

I'm 99.9% sure Kelsey's mom said that Kelsey loves her God. There is no dog mentioned anywhere else - that would likely be something LE would mention. Religious people are likely to put God first in their lives and describing someone by saying "loves her God" seems very normal. But to describe a missing mom as someone who first loves her "dog" that nobody is talking about is not normal.

But if a dog shows up and it's determined that Kelsey was crazy about that dog above all else, I'll take it back.

jmopinion
I can understand Kelsey's mom is highly emotional and has difficulty talking and there is some confusion here. If Kelsey had a dog, the police would mention the dog was out of food or whatever.
But it really sounds to me that the word preceding "God" was "to" or "two". She also loves her child, but that was not mentioned.

Family pleads for help finding Woodland Park mom not seen since Thanksgiving
Cheryl Berreth said her daughter was not the type to leave without telling anyone.

"She’s not the kind who runs off. This is completely out of character. Kelsey loves her god, she loves her family and friends, and she loves her job. She’s reliable, considerate and honest.”

Video of the 12/10 press conference is included in the article - "Kelsey loves her god" is heard shortly after the 4-minute mark.

I really think LE gave big clues in the press conference as to what they think happened, and I’m in that camp too. But since they haven’t named a POI yet can’t discuss it here.

In the meantime, here’s the scenario that crossed my mind before the press conference. What if K went for a day flight w/another pilot that needed hours to keep current? It’s been a while since I flew and rules may have chamged but private pilots used to have to do three take-offs and landings every three months to keep their license current. Often that involved a few hours in a plane doing touch and go’s or flying to a nearby airport, landing then taking off to another nearby airport, landing, maybe seeing some local sights then returning home. It can get boring and isn’t unusual for a pilot to invite another pilot w/them for company.

I can imagine someone K met at a nearby airport saying “you aren’t doing anything for Thanksgiving? I’m not either. Do you want to keep me company while I get my hours?”

If they picked her up at home K would likely have taken her purse but nothing else. That person could have flown pretty much anywhere, taken her “out for lunch”, assaulted her once away from the airport and abandoned her body. He could return the rented plane as expected and no-one would know she’d ever been with him.

Conceivably he could have rented the plane for several days and flown to Idaho w/her phone. They only charge you for engine hours and over Thanksgiving weekend no-one would bat an eye at a plane being used for 4 days. Yes, he’d have to refuel but random private planes land all the time at airports to refuel — no-one would give it a second thought. If he was flying VFR there would be no need to file a flight plan and unless someone knew to try and piece together where that plane went, no reason anyone would ever suspect him.

If LE doesn’t have any solid leads, they might want to look at private planes that landed near the area where the cell phone pinged that day to see if any were from Colorado.

But, I suspect LE has other more promising avenues to explore.
I worked as a flight instructor years ago. It doesn't pay a livable wage unless you fly your butt off, up to 100 flight hours a month (which often means six or seven day work weeks in the busy season, as for every hour in the air there's ground time for which you are not being paid). Trust me, the LAST thing you are going to do on a day off is crawl into an airplane for free and keep someone company while they do their currency flights. I wouldn't have done that for my best friend, nor would she have done it for me. On a day off you get as far away from an airport as possible and enjoy time with your family or just curling up with no airplane noise.

I worked as a flight instructor years ago. It doesn't pay a livable wage unless you fly your butt off, up to 100 flight hours a month (which often means six or seven day work weeks in the busy season, as for every hour in the air there's ground time for which you are not being paid). Trust me, the LAST thing you are going to do on a day off is crawl into an airplane for free and keep someone company while they do their currency flights. I wouldn't have done that for my best friend, nor would she have done it for me. On a day off you get as far away from an airport as possible and enjoy time with your family or just curling up with no airplane noise.

That doesn't sound like the easiest job to manage with a one year old baby.

Thanks for sharing your flight instructor experience GraceG. Your info sparked some questions:
If being a flight instructor doesn't pay much, how did Kelsey afford living alone and having a baby? What is the cost of living like in the town she was living in?
Could she have a roommate we have not heard about yet?
Or perhaps her family or her fiance helped her pay for the house?
Do we know if Kelsey rented or owned her own home?
And working all those hours, if that is what she needed to work to pay her bills, how would she take care of a baby too?
Did she use a day care?
Is there a family member in the area that helps take care of the baby while Kelsey works?
Or could the fiance have the baby more often than Kelsey, allowing her to pursue her career? (Someone mentioned above the slight possibility that the father of the baby might have full custody or longer custody visits than her).
I also wonder how long she has been a flight instructor and what having the baby would have done to her career-- can she work as a flight instructor while heavily pregnant or would she have had to take maternity leave?

Last edited:
Interesting comment by JL on KB's personal FB, underneath the photo of the plane.

It was written 4 years ago. But interesting, nonetheless.

Can someone please link directly to the photo on Kelsey's facebook?

(not having fb it's hard to find, but if it's public it should be linkable).
TIA.

I don't have time to do it right now, but if anyone could sleuth the weather for Woodland Park from 11/22 through 11/25 and then the route between Woodland Park to Gooding, Idaho from 11/22 through 11/25, I would be much appreciative.

Was Thanksgiving Day in Woodland Park a nice day for a walk or a hike?

I seem to recall that on Sunday, November 25, there was a strong front that came through from the northwest to the east, but I don't know how it would have affected northern Utah and southern Idaho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fat Cinnamon