Found Deceased CO - Maggie Long, 17, suspicious house fire, Bailey, 1 Dec 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But what about the "Thursday" press time? Or, maybe I am confused. At any rate, cliff hanging is my natural habitat, owing to my own actions!

"Press time" in the newspaper industry means that articles have to be completed to send to the printer on that day. So today Walt would have sent the articles and the rest of the paper to the printing press. I don't know when the newspaper hits the newsstands. There may be a lag between when the newspaper hits the newsstand and the time the articles are released online, and that is to encourage people to buy the newspaper.

"Press time" in the newspaper industry means that articles have to be completed to send to the printer on that day. So today Walt would have sent the articles and the rest of the paper to the printing press. I don't know when the newspaper hits the newsstands. There may be a lag between when the newspaper hits the newsstand and the time the articles are released online, and that is to encourage people to buy the newspaper.

Thanks, Bill! It was totally my mistake in thinking that we would have the article here, online, today! My mystake entirely! So many here have brought this to my attention, for which I am grateful. So, thank you, Bill! I certainly hope that I have not alienated Walter Newton.

Thanks, Bill! It was totally my mistake in thinking that we would have the article here, online, today! My mystake entirely! So many here have brought this to my attention, for which I am grateful. So, thank you, Bill! I certainly hope that I have not alienated Walter Newton.
I'm going out on a limb to say you probably have. Super unfortunate. He has been providing a lot of actual information on this case.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The paper is out. Other than the headline...no new news.
"Conflicting reports and Gag order left community in dark over the death of Maggie Long"
There was nothing in the article that has not already been heard or read on most news stations.
There is a very interesting article from the Canyon Courier that is posted at this link.

https://mymountaintown.com/forum/13...canyon-hs-student-maggie-long?start=20#349444
The article I reference above is on page 4
You do not have to be a registered user or pay to read it.
Locals in Bailey of course can purchase Walter's paper at most local stores.
Subscribers to the paper will receive their delivery tomorrow at home and the online version Walter referenced will be available on Saturday at the papers website. (I am unclear if it will be on the pay side or free side.)

The paper is out. Other than the headline...no new news.
"Conflicting reports and Gag order left community in dark over the death of Maggie Long"
There was nothing in the article that has not already been heard or read on most news stations.
There is a very interesting article from the Canyon Courier that is posted at this link.

https://mymountaintown.com/forum/13...canyon-hs-student-maggie-long?start=20#349444
The article I reference above is on page 4
You do not have to be a registered user or pay to read it.
Locals in Bailey of course can purchase Walter's paper at most local stores.
Subscribers to the paper will receive their delivery tomorrow at home and the online version Walter referenced will be available on Saturday at the papers website. (I am unclear if it will be on the pay side or free side.)

I can't get past the pay wall.....ugh!

I have been down with the flu for around a week, I've missed a lot on here.
Ugh that stuff can be brutal. I'm glad you're starting to feel human again.

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

This thread may have drifted so far into strange and awful waters of personality that it can't be redeemed. We are not doing anything of value here, and we are wallowing in a family's tragedy . Yucky.

This thread may have drifted so far into strange and awful waters of personality that it can't be redeemed. We are not doing anything of value here, and we are wallowing in a family's tragedy . Yucky.
It's just a few posts, we can move on. I certainly don't think anyone is walking in this family's tragedy.

Personally I don't think we'll be able to talk of anything more that's of much significance until there's an arrest.
There family isn't talking, the tenant isn't talking, the witnesses who saw the van aren't talking. All understandably so.

Something else I was thinking of though - could the van have been found by LE? What if the thief/thieves freaked out because they killed Maggie and decided they better dump the evidence (guns, case, van)? Perhaps LE doesn't want to tip their hand.

That could also be went they said there wasn't danger

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It's just a few posts, we can move on. I certainly don't think anyone is walking in this family's tragedy.

Personally I don't think we'll be able to talk of anything more that's of much significance until there's an arrest.
There family isn't talking, the tenant isn't talking, the witnesses who saw the van aren't talking. All understandably so.

Something else I was thinking of though - could the van have been found by LE? What if the thief/thieves freaked out because they killed Maggie and decided they better dump the evidence (guns, case, van)? Perhaps LE doesn't want to tip their hand.

That could also be went they said there wasn't danger

Definitely understandable on the part of folks not divulging details. Some things are best kept quiet, especially when it comes to situations like this. There can be a fine line between the public's right to know, and the necessities for LE to be able to do their job. Even though my nature as a Newsy is to "want to know it all and want to know it NOW", there are some situations where I'm compelled to just sit back, and wait. This is one of those situations.

MOO IMHO etc :)

What the heck is going on in here? Last I checked this is Websleuths, not a first grade classroom.

Keep this thread about Maggie Long, a victim of a brutal homicide, not each other.

If you can't abide by The Rules then you risk the loss of your posting privledges.

Thank you

Agreed. So I will call Wholers tomorrow and find out if he really used that language.

The BOLO didn't use that language, so that would make me think that it's possible he didn't.

Don't know for sure.

I'll see if I can find out.

Not promising anything.

I called him for a statement for tomorrow's article, and his statement was as about generic as they come.
Thank you again for being here with us and for staying on top of everything.

Sent from my Alcatel_4060A using Tapatalk

I just received my copy of "The flume", nothing new except that supposedly a deputy on the scene knew that there were firearms in the house and that some may be missing, how did the deputy know that.

I just received my copy of "The flume", nothing new except that supposedly a deputy on the scene knew that there were firearms in the house and that some may be missing, how did the deputy know that.

It is possible the family could have talked to the police before they were on scene? Or since it’s such a small town the policeman knew the family well enough to know that jmo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fire told them, deputy informed dispatch and then requested that CBI be called.

How did fire know that at 7:53 that night?

Who told them.

Maybe another person on scene (other than tenant upstairs).

If it was someone, was it the truth? Or something to throw LE off?

Think.

Who told them.

Think.
I know this is a small town, is there a gun range anywhere nearby? If a deputy knew about the guns, who else knew? Would it have been common knowledge or maybe just a few people that the dad (I imagine he's the gun owner) did Target practicing with?

Who told them.

Think.
Possibly a family member was on site? Maybe this was a set up by a family member and ML came in at the wrong time and got caught in the middle of a real bad situation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I know this is a small town, is there a gun range anywhere nearby? If a deputy knew about the guns, who else knew? Would it have been common knowledge or maybe just a few people that the dad (I imagine he's the gun owner) did Target practicing with?

I go back to what I have reporter before.

Fire "rolled" at 7:14. At 7:53, a deputy told dispatch (this is a close quote) "According to fire, there are firearms inside of house, some may be missing."

I never said the deputy knew ahead of time.

Yes, downtown Bailey is small, but the whole postal area code covers about 15 square miles.

It is rural.

No, it would not have been common knowledge that fire knew there were guns in the house, knew how many and what kinds and knew which were missing, all of this in the middle of fighting an interior fire.

I'm suggesting there was someone else (besides the renter) at the house that passed on that info to fire. And I'm also suggesting that info may have been to cover for something. Remember, six days later (six, whole friggin' days), a BOLO mentions missing firearms and ammo.

I heard the whole thing go down from the beginning, taking handwritten notes. So I have a lot more info that was not heard by the general public.

But if I don't have other sources for what I wrote down, I don't report it.

When I wrote down about the missing firearms, I held that off until this weeks article, since I was now able to source missing firearms with a BOLO that mentions stolen firearms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme