Found Deceased CO - Maggie Long, 17, suspicious house fire, Bailey, 1 Dec 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
See it? On the left. Now it could be a shop or big garage or something, but I thought it looked like a small home. Maybe like a little guest house.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

There's also a building to the east of the house. Looks like a large detached garage for a RV, but it could be another residence.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 2.54.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 2.54.33 PM.png
    708.5 KB · Views: 685
http://www.9news.com/news/crime/mis...ome-homicide-investigation-underway/497628903
KUSA - The Park County Sheriff’s Office confirmed Thursday morning that they have positively identified the human remains found inside of a burned home as Maggie Long, a 17-year-old who was reported missing after her home caught fire on Friday.

Investigators say they believe the fire was intentionally set, and in a news release Thursday, said they consider Long’s death a homicide.

:(

I'm wondering if an autopsy will show if she was killed prior to the fire starting and the fire was set to destroy evidence.

Determining whether someone was alive when the first broke out is easy at autopsy. You’re basically looking for soot (an amorphous black material generated during a fire) found in the airways (mouth, nares, trachea, bronchi) of individuals inhaling smoke during a fire. Its presence in the airways and soot deposition on trachel mucosa and the dorsum of the tongue at autopsy indicates that the decedent was breathing and thus alive during the fire.

JMO.......My first thought when reading (before the most current press release) was that maybe ML was on her cell with a friend and was having a breakdown, throwing things and threatening herself and the friend called 911. ML started fire then committed suicide.

But, with the new press release, it says it's being investigated as a homicide so.....that throws my thought out the window.

Curious case for sure, especially with the connection to her sister!

The man who committed the crime against her sister has been dead for years, and she was a stranger to him so I doubt it's connected in my opinion

Oh no. Been out all day and was hoping for a positive update. This is heartbreaking. Maggie sounds like an amazing young woman. What a devastating loss for her family, friends, and community.

Sending lots of prayers up for her loved ones tonight and praying that justice is served swiftly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This would be quite unlikely imo, but ftr I'm thinking about Travis Forbes, how he poured bleach on his rape victim then set the house on fire. (Thank goodness this woman, a random victim, survived; it is great to hear she has gone on now to be proactive in the community in very constructive ways, last i heard working with prisoners directly...)

Any escaped inmates nationwide? Just another random thought...

To the poster above who mentioned Bailey's history of fire, I had actually been looking these up recently during the Northern California fires...I was trying to figure out why Bailey sounded so familiar to me, and this is why. There may or may not be any significance here (was the perp around for the fires?). Likely no significance, just thinking out loud.

Re: arsonists, they are a whole nother ballgame as far as profiling goes. I could write a book on my thoughts but I'll spare you for now. Sometimes, not always, this can go beyond simply just an attempt to cover up a crime. For now, I will consider it simply as such, a cover up.

So, who would want Maggie dead, and why?
My theory is she surprised someone. She ran home because she forgot something, she wasn't expected. To me, it will get clearer when we know who called 911. Right now no scenario makes sense except her calling 911 from outside as she witnessed people trashing her house. Then somehow they see her and drag her in the house. But that doesn't make sense cuz the fire was at 6pm and she left school at 2:30pm.

But it could have been her brother or parent coming home? If Maggie surprised robbers and they killed her and panicked, another member of the house or a cleaning lady, or someone could have come home later and witnessed something happening. If they thought the house was supposed to be empty they may have retreated and called 911.

Any escaped inmates nationwide? Just another random thought...

To the poster above who mentioned Bailey's history of fire, I had actually been looking these up recently during the Northern Colorado fires...I was trying to figure out why Bailey sounded so familiar to me. There may or may not be significance here somehow, or not.

Re: arsonists, they are a whole nother ballgame as far as profiling goes. I could write a book but I'll spare you for now. Sometimes, not always, this can go beyond simply just an attempt to cover up a crime. For now, I will consider it simply as such.

It was me who mentioned wildfires. I haven't lived in Colorado for quite a few years but very clearly remember the hi meadow fire going through Bailey and I know there was a more recent one that was set by some students smoking up behind the high school. My Mom lives up near Bailey and fire is definitely something she fears because it's been so dry for years now.

I feel like the Long's family was remote enough that whoever did this knew the family.

It will be very interesting to find out what the heck happened here. I hope LE will be able to solve this case (as all cases here).

Yeah the 911 call will definitely be interesting when it's released. Does anyone know what has to be done for it to be released, does the media or someone have to request it?

Here's something that's odd

"The Park County Sheriff’s Office 911 dispatch received a call from a residence at 3763 County Road 43 in Bailey, Friday, Dec. 1.

The caller said there were people at the residence arguing, throwing stuff around and trying to set the house on fire.

Apparently one of the people in the house was Maggie Long, a 17-year-old Platte Canyon High School student.

When deputies arrived at the house, they reported that they could see flames coming through the roof.

Platte Canyon Fire Protection District was called to the scene and and Elk Creek Fire Protection District was called for mutual aid, sending a tender and crew to the residence."

How long from the time of the call to the time LE would make it out there?
The caller said someone was *trying* to start a fire but when police got there it was coming out through the roof. Then they called the fire department.

How long from the time of the call to the time LE would make it out there?
The caller said someone was *trying* to start a fire but when police got there it was coming out through the roof. Then they called the fire department.

Park County, Colorado is very large, geographically---over 2,200 square miles, twice the size of Rhode Island (!!), but with a population of only 16,000. Bailey is on the far east side of the county, closest to Denver, and the area near Bailey is the most dense in population. The county seat is Fairplay, Colorado, which is 47 miles from ML's house, two-lane road all the way, over at least one mountain pass. Per Google maps, it would take 57 minutes to drive from Fairplay to ML's house. It depends on where the deputy was when the call came in. There may have been patrolmen near Bailey, or they may have been all the way on the other side of the county at Guffey, which is 91 miles from ML's house and one hour, forty-three minutes away.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 11.10.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 11.10.25 PM.png
    461.1 KB · Views: 549
For now, I will consider it simply as such, a cover up.

That's what it sounded like given the statement about it being concentrated around one area. Makes you wonder what was going on during those few hours between when she left the school and when the 911 call was made thought.

I feel confident she managed to make that call somehow. Makes me so sick to think what she may have been forced to endure during those 2-3 hours.

My thinking is either home invasion/robbery gone wrong or someone had a personal vendetta against Maggie's parents due to something related to one of their businesses possibly. I don't know that Maggie was meant to be involved or harmed but she may have surprised someone when she arrived after leaving the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr