CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cori Romero was shot on April 22, when a bullet was fired through her driver-side window as she drove onto I-25 near Fort Collins. If my memory is correct, CR was on either an entrance or exit ramp when she was shot. There is either a ramp or access road adjacent to the 144th Avenue bridge in the pic above.

Some sort of exit ramp, on ramp, or overpass makes a lot of sense because it would give the perp an easy getaway.

For the window shattering incidents we have considered many possibilities because we have not heard that LE has found any projectile yet in the victims cars/trucks. And some of the windows like the truck window looks like the projectile did not penetrate but just shattered the window and maybe either bounced off or maybe the projectile itself shattered upon impact.

So if we assume for a minute that the perp is using rocks or some other type of ammo like frangibles bullets that break apart, it is possible.

Many years ago I used to hand load my own shotgun shells because I used to have a reloading machine so I learned quite a bit about Primers, powder, cartridges, etc.

My machine was limited to just shotgun shells because you have to purchase specific "dies" for each type of shell. My setup was just for shotgun shells but the procedure is basically the same for any type of shell.

The one thing I found interesting about reloading was that I could put as much or as little gun powder in the shell as I wanted up to a point where it would not be safe to put anymore. I could also reload whatever type of projectile I wanted to in the shell.

So I did some experimenting at the time and I ended up with some unique shells a few of the times. In one case, I reloaded regular BBs and used some extra powder and those shells were powerful. The problem for me with those was the BBs scored the inside of my shotgun barrel so I quit doing that after the first batch.
This is why lead is most commonly used because its soft and doesnt hurt the inside of a gun barrel. As well as lead is heavy and makes a good projecitle.

Back to this case.....It got me to thinking back during those reloading days and I had discussions with friends about how farmers would reload "rock salt" and some of us have likely seen or heard about old movies/stories where we have heard of mean farmers chasing kids off their farms and shooting at them with rock salt.

Rock salt is one of those projectiles that could make glass break and yet the rock salt would explode upon impact and there would be no evidence left.

And I could see where even reloading small round rocks may produce similar results, although rocks would most likely stay in tact. Like if the person was reloading pea gravel into a shell.
Any type of small rock projectile from either gun or slingshot would most likely never be noticed by an investigator if it was laying on the ground outside the vehicle. They would think it was just outside already unless it had something that made it stand out OR if it was found inside the vehicle.

We have discussed so many possibilities and quite a few of them that we have discussed would fit in with LE not being able to find a projectile at the scene for the window shatterings.

I still cant get over seeing the picture of the "Crossbow Slingshot" LOL :)
That would give the shooter some good accuracy with that thing.

A 12 gauge shotgun vs car windows. Damage seems similar.

[video=youtube;z61DwcsiGzw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z61DwcsiGzw[/video]

A 12 gauge shotgun vs car windows. Damage seems similar.

[video=youtube;z61DwcsiGzw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z61DwcsiGzw[/video]

Yeah, thats possible too. If the perp was using shot size (size of pellets) in the size of 7.5, 8.5, or even 9 shot, the size of the pellets are so very small that it would be very hard to find any of the small pellets.

The larger the # of the shot, the smaller the size of the pellet. The smallest I have ever heard of is 9-shot. They make it in all sizes.

By Mark Meredith, FOX31,

June 17, 15, 6:58 am,

"They're also checking camera's around the 144th Avenue overpass. That's the spot where the driver says he was under when the window shattered."
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76585&stc=1&d=1434599081
the perspective of this photo is northbound...the cars facing you are in the position the pickup was in when the passenger-side window shattered...so the projectile would have had to have come from the left or west of this perspective...if there was a shooter there I would think the construction crew working on the huge storm drain that goes all the way under 144th, and is adjacent to the entrance ramp, would have seen something...

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76585&stc=1&d=1434599081
the perspective of this photo is northbound...the cars facing you are in the position the pickup was in when the passenger-side window shattered...so the projectile would have had to have come from the left or west of this perspective...if there was a shooter there I would think the construction crew working on the huge storm drain that goes all the way under 144th, and is adjacent to the entrance ramp, would have seen something...

It is interesting that nobody has seen anything yet...

It is interesting that nobody has seen anything yet...

Margarita25, with the exception of websleuthers and news junkies, many folks are either unaware or just now becoming aware of the shattered windows and shooter/SK. Once the citizens become aware, they will become more observant of suspicious behavior or events.
The gunman in the horrific SC Church murders last evening was apprehended in Shelby, NC within hours of LE releasing his photo and vehicle description to the public. An aware citizen saw a suspicious vehicle and dialed 911...

Hi-
I was a long time member but hadn't logged on in a while so I had to re-register. I have lived in Weld county since 2003 (Firestone and now Platteville) and drive the entire length of I25 (highway 66 mm243) to 104th avenue every day for work and I have a serious interest in this situation and the work you have all done with the map and the incidents is remarkable.. I wanted to give some real local perspective as I know the county roads around here very well-
I just looked up the call center calls for WCSO and there are MANY reports of suspicious activity/welfare checks, etc. along the i25 corridor today from yesterday, which tells me that citizens are taking notice.
I drive the 136th/144th area every day and I can tell you that there are many places to hide and be very close to the highway at 144th ave- this is major suburbia as the more northern parts of i25 are in the middle of fields. The rural portions run from mm229 (colorado highway 7) up to exit 240, the Longmont exit. Then it is rural again until you get close to highway 34 (Loveland). The 144th exit has a carnival going on in the parking lot of a shopping mall (the parking lot of the mall is literally 20 feet off the highway. (this is the north west corner of the exit). On the southwest corner is a hospital that is further from the highway but still close enough to park to shoot. 144th and 136th are HEAVY traffic areas and very populated. It is shocking that there would not be other cars next to this truck when it drove by. There is also a frontage road that runs the entire length on the east side (next to NB lanes) from highway 7 (mm229) and at least exit 243, highway 66. There are also a few park and rides that sit next to the highway that would allow access to the highway and is close enough to shoot without a scope.
I have a feeling (especially since I drive this every day) that this person is someone who is narcissitic and is abnormally angry about the bad driving on i25. This highway is INSANE. also, it is important to note that the speed limit is 75 on this stretch of highway (until you hit 136th ave going southbound). The two older men make me wonder if they were targets because they were taking liberty on the roads, especially Jaboby with the bike- many people around here hate cyclists because they ride in the lanes and cause traffic to be evasive.
One poster mentioned that Adams and Boulder counties were being avoided because they are less populated. That is no so- Adams is one of the most populated areas (north suburbs), especially where i25 is and Boulder county hardly even touches i25 if at all (only at highway 7 and I think that is Adams. Ironically, NoCo people do not interact with Boulder at all- they are diametric opposites- Weld county is one of the counties leading secession from Colorado over gun control and has been labeled as one of the most conservative counties in the nation (oil and farm politics) and Boulder is obviously one of the most liberal. This person, who I believe is a man in his 30's or 40's, is from northern colorado. Nobody else would be in some of these places. The people who work for me and live in Adams county don't even know the big shopping areas up north. Greeley and Fort Collins are both college towns- CSU in FoCo and UNC in Greeley. The areas between these two cities are full of young college kids.
I do not believe the Aurora shootings are related- the Buckley Air Force Base area is not extremely congested, but really a different world than NoCo. People do not often move between these areas- people in NoCo only go to the Denver area possibly for work (like me) or for an event. The timing of the Aurora shatterings makes me think it is a copy cat.
I have a strong feeling this guy is a vigilante type. I am more than happy to provide any other local info you all need. Hope this helps.

Hi-
I was a long time member but hadn't logged on in a while so I had to re-register. I have lived in Weld county since 2003 (Firestone and now Platteville) and drive the entire length of I25 (highway 66 mm243) to 104th avenue every day for work and I have a serious interest in this situation and the work you have all done with the map and the incidents is remarkable.. I wanted to give some real local perspective as I know the county roads around here very well-
I just looked up the call center calls for WCSO and there are MANY reports of suspicious activity/welfare checks, etc. along the i25 corridor today from yesterday, which tells me that citizens are taking notice.
I drive the 136th/144th area every day and I can tell you that there are many places to hide and be very close to the highway at 144th ave- this is major suburbia as the more northern parts of i25 are in the middle of fields. The rural portions run from mm229 (colorado highway 7) up to exit 240, the Longmont exit. Then it is rural again until you get close to highway 34 (Loveland). The 144th exit has a carnival going on in the parking lot of a shopping mall (the parking lot of the mall is literally 20 feet off the highway. (this is the north west corner of the exit). On the southwest corner is a hospital that is further from the highway but still close enough to park to shoot. 144th and 136th are HEAVY traffic areas and very populated. It is shocking that there would not be other cars next to this truck when it drove by. There is also a frontage road that runs the entire length on the east side (next to NB lanes) from highway 7 (mm229) and at least exit 243, highway 66. There are also a few park and rides that sit next to the highway that would allow access to the highway and is close enough to shoot without a scope.
I have a feeling (especially since I drive this every day) that this person is someone who is narcissitic and is abnormally angry about the bad driving on i25. This highway is INSANE. also, it is important to note that the speed limit is 75 on this stretch of highway (until you hit 136th ave going southbound). The two older men make me wonder if they were targets because they were taking liberty on the roads, especially Jaboby with the bike- many people around here hate cyclists because they ride in the lanes and cause traffic to be evasive.
One poster mentioned that Adams and Boulder counties were being avoided because they are less populated. That is no so- Adams is one of the most populated areas (north suburbs), especially where i25 is and Boulder county hardly even touches i25 if at all (only at highway 7 and I think that is Adams. Ironically, NoCo people do not interact with Boulder at all- they are diametric opposites- Weld county is one of the counties leading secession from Colorado over gun control and has been labeled as one of the most conservative counties in the nation (oil and farm politics) and Boulder is obviously one of the most liberal. This person, who I believe is a man in his 30's or 40's, is from northern colorado. Nobody else would be in some of these places. The people who work for me and live in Adams county don't even know the big shopping areas up north. Greeley and Fort Collins are both college towns- CSU in FoCo and UNC in Greeley. The areas between these two cities are full of young college kids.
I do not believe the Aurora shootings are related- the Buckley Air Force Base area is not extremely congested, but really a different world than NoCo. People do not often move between these areas- people in NoCo only go to the Denver area possibly for work (like me) or for an event. The timing of the Aurora shatterings makes me think it is a copy cat.
I have a strong feeling this guy is a vigilante type. I am more than happy to provide any other local info you all need. Hope this helps.

welcome amyteach29. Thank you for posting! :)

:welcome5:

I think LE is getting much better at using the public to their advantage however in cases like this it seems LE is reluctant to let the public know much.

I have to wonder if it is because they just dont want to instill fear into the public OR is it really because they just do not have any more news to share that is important OR maybe they have found out a lot more and they are keeping it under wraps so the perp does not know what they know.

I just hope LE does not withhold something that would have helped the public be more alert to help find the guy.
If someone new ends up being shot and we find out later that LE knew a specific description of the perp, then it will be a tough pill to swallow.

At a minimum I wish LE would inform the public more about the window shatterings. The sheer volume of them is just incredible. Surely by now LE would be able to at least provide their opinions on what they think is going on with those.

I just cannot believe that LE is as duped as we are about the window shatterings. I suspect LE knows quite a bit more than we do about them and their silence has me worried.

'Welcome to the thread amyteach29'! Thanx for your insight.. The more locals on the thread, the better, imo...

:goodpost:

I do think they have these all connected- I am almost 100% sure that LE is not talking about the sheer numbers of window shatterings and their possible connection (the map made me nauseous when I first saw it on here- and I am not the panic type!) because of the public panic it would cause- because this is second amendment country here, I am also sure they do not want a bunch of vigilantes out there with guns on the highway looking for this guy. Weld county alone has close to 10,000 concealed carry permits issued.
I think this guy moved to the 136th/144th ave area from being emboldened from not being caught because this is moving closer to populated areas. I also think he is not happy with the media coverage he was getting or lack thereof and moving it down to the suburbs of Denver will guarantee more coverage in the MSM for him.

Exactly! ... [abridged for focus] Could this creep have hung out at businesses along the highway to think over his hits? Could he be tapping into public feed traffic cams to see the reaction after a hit?

At some point, one of us had posted a link to public traffic cams along I-25. I only looked at the feeds from a few of them, but I was impressed at how little I was able to get out of them. The cars were tiny blurs and the picture only refreshed every few seconds. I don't think they would have been of much help or interest to our guy.

Hi-

Excellent Post !!!

Thank you so much for sharing the local knowledge as this helps tremendously.

I agree you may be onto something as far as the motive of the shooter and his profile.

This gives us a lot to work with as far as additional ideas about the shooter. The one who killed the people I agree could be someone irate with people being in the road.

Maybe the shooter had an accident with a bicyclist in the recent past OR maybe he wrecked his own vehicle trying to avoid a bicyclist or trying to avoid a pedestrian and he may have wrecked his nice vehicle.
Then if LE showed up at his own accident scene, he may have been ticketed by LE for something minor like "not yielding" or something and maybe that got him even more irate about a ticket he got after he wrecked his own vehicle trying to avoid someone.
If something like that happened, it may have taken him over the edge to where he became the random shooter.

I do have a question for you since you are local there.

Do you think the same shooter who shot the people is the same person randomly shooting out car windows?
OR do you think the car window shatterings is someone or something entirely different?

ETA: You already answered in Post 312 so no need to answer. THNKS

Hi-

Hi,

right back at ya!

I'm so pleased you chose to rejoin to share this great first hand knowledge, perspective, your time and concern. Thank you very much. I would be very interested in any direction your sense of things would give you to for WSer's to look and very glad you're pitching in.

:welcome:
:welcome::welcome:
:welcome::welcome::welcome:

I keep thinking about the way the DC snipers were caught- when they called the tip line and told them the police were stupid since they had been committing crimes for a while- this guy has the same mentality.
One other very interesting thing to note is that i25 goes down to two lanes each direction at highway 66 (exit 243) all the way to Cheyenne. Because of this, the stretch of highway that has the largest concentration of incidents, is very dangerous and has many fatal accidents. Trucks clog this area often and with populations growing in Loveland, Fort Collins and Greeley, it often has traffic jams.
If I had to hypothesize based on the map data, this guy is from Berthoud, Mead or southern Loveland, right in this area. FoCo people often stay within the FoCo area, but the i25 area that has a lot of shattered windows is much more likely to be important to one of the towns right along the highway there.
Really, i25 is the fastest and easiest option for movement in these parts. 287 can be a detour to this, but runs through the downtowns of Fort Collins and Loveland with many lights, one way streets and traffic.
ETA: This guy is most definitely a native of NoCo and adding to his aggression is the growth of the area-
The Brighton (which is in Adams county BTW) incidents, esp. the ford dealership damage throws me for a loop- if that is connected, it seems to be a practice crime for what is happening now. Brighton is a big town, has all of the Adams County government office and has a pretty high crime rate. I wonder if this guy has family or friend ties to Brighton, which would not be shocking. He does not live there, or we would see more incidents on 85, which is a main highway in brighton that goes north to Greeley.

I keep thinking about the way the DC snipers were caught- when they called the tip line and told them the police were stupid since they had been committing crimes for a while- this guy has the same mentality.
One other very interesting thing to note is that i25 goes down to two lanes each direction at highway 66 (exit 243) all the way to Cheyenne. Because of this, the stretch of highway that has the largest concentration of incidents, is very dangerous and has many fatal accidents. Trucks clog this area often and with populations growing in Loveland, Fort Collins and Greeley, it often has traffic jams.
If I had to hypothesize based on the map data, this guy is from Berthoud, Mead or southern Loveland, right in this area. FoCo people often stay within the FoCo area, but the i25 area that has a lot of shattered windows is much more likely to be important to one of the towns right along the highway there.
Really, i25 is the fastest and easiest option for movement in these parts. 287 can be a detour to this, but runs through the downtowns of Fort Collins and Loveland with many lights, one way streets and traffic.
ETA: This guy is most definitely a native of NoCo and adding to his aggression is the growth of the area-
The Brighton (which is in Adams county BTW) incidents, esp. the ford dealership damage throws me for a loop- if that is connected, it seems to be a practice crime for what is happening now. Brighton is a big town, has all of the Adams County government office and has a pretty high crime rate. I wonder if this guy has family or friend ties to Brighton, which would not be shocking. He does not live there, or we would see more incidents on 85, which is a main highway in brighton that goes north to Greeley.

Re BBM
That sounds very logical. Loveland area had the 3 shooting victims very close to Loveland.

What has me really stumped is the reports of some of the victims of the window shaterrings claiming to not have seen a vehicle near them when their window was shot out.

I suppose the shooter could have been pulled off and stopped on an access road or side road and maybe the victims just didnt notice them as they passed. Its just surprising since there have been no reports of witnesses seeing another car or person shooting at the victim.

Maybe LE does have witnesses that showed up and reported to them and maybe we just dont know about it.

I keep thinking the shooter must be shooting from inside some vehicle because I dont think he would step outside carrying his weapon since more chance of being spotted. It seems much easier to shoot from some sort of vehicle to hide himself.

For the window shattering incidents we have considered many possibilities because we have not heard that LE has found any projectile yet in the victims cars/trucks. And some of the windows like the truck window looks like the projectile did not penetrate but just shattered the window and maybe either bounced off or maybe the projectile itself shattered upon impact.

So if we assume for a minute that the perp is using rocks or some other type of ammo like frangibles bullets that break apart, it is possible.

Many years ago I used to hand load my own shotgun shells because I used to have a reloading machine so I learned quite a bit about Primers, powder, cartridges, etc.

My machine was limited to just shotgun shells because you have to purchase specific "dies" for each type of shell. My setup was just for shotgun shells but the procedure is basically the same for any type of shell.

The one thing I found interesting about reloading was that I could put as much or as little gun powder in the shell as I wanted up to a point where it would not be safe to put anymore. I could also reload whatever type of projectile I wanted to in the shell.

So I did some experimenting at the time and I ended up with some unique shells a few of the times. In one case, I reloaded regular BBs and used some extra powder and those shells were powerful. The problem for me with those was the BBs scored the inside of my shotgun barrel so I quit doing that after the first batch.
This is why lead is most commonly used because its soft and doesnt hurt the inside of a gun barrel. As well as lead is heavy and makes a good projecitle.

Back to this case.....It got me to thinking back during those reloading days and I had discussions with friends about how farmers would reload "rock salt" and some of us have likely seen or heard about old movies/stories where we have heard of mean farmers chasing kids off their farms and shooting at them with rock salt.

Rock salt is one of those projectiles that could make glass break and yet the rock salt would explode upon impact and there would be no evidence left.

And I could see where even reloading small round rocks may produce similar results, although rocks would most likely stay in tact. Like if the person was reloading pea gravel into a shell.
Any type of small rock projectile from either gun or slingshot would most likely never be noticed by an investigator if it was laying on the ground outside the vehicle. They would think it was just outside already unless it had something that made it stand out OR if it was found inside the vehicle.

We have discussed so many possibilities and quite a few of them that we have discussed would fit in with LE not being able to find a projectile at the scene for the window shatterings.

I still cant get over seeing the picture of the "Crossbow Slingshot" LOL :)
That would give the shooter some good accuracy with that thing.

Hatfield, that is an interesting idea about a shotgun with something other than steel or lead shot loaded. I see only 2 problems. First, it would seem to me that a shotgun blast into a car would almost always severely injure the driver. The second problem is that the sound of a shotgun blast would be unmistakable I think. Now maybe he could be using a .410, so much less blast and noise, but even that is going to make a pretty big boom. But it certainly is something to think about.

Brighton Vandalism Report- interestingly by Zelinger-
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...may-also-be-related-to-past-incidents11202014

VERY interesting: the BBgun/pellet gun used here and the description of a light colored SUV with the passenger having a head out the window.

Re: the no witnesses- I completely agree that by the time the victims looked up, traveling 75 MPH (and ofte people are going 80-85 mph here) they would be in front of the shooter's location- the land here is wide open, but they frontage road is often slightly lower, offering some cover, or if the car looked like a parked car in a parking lot, drivers might not have thought about it coming from off the highway. From the 144th/136th shooting details, this guy or guys are not on the highway but rather shooting from the side of the highway.

Hatfield, that is an interesting idea about a shotgun with something other than steel or lead shot loaded. I see only 2 problems. First, it would seem to me that a shotgun blast into a car would almost always severely injure the driver. The second problem is that the sound of a shotgun blast would be unmistakable I think. Now maybe he could be using a .410, so much less blast and noise, but even that is going to make a pretty big boom. But it certainly is something to think about.

Yeah, the lack of the people in the car getting hurt has me perplexed. That is what lead to us talking about all the other alternatives like the "AIR-SOFT" rifles that may have been used to shoot a different type of projectile that breaks glass but does not penetrate.

I was amazed at all the types of AIRSOFT ammo and what I learned about those airsoft guns is they could break glass if they rig theirs with C02 and are the more advanced ones.

Here is even some biodegradable ammo that dissolves and disappears into the environment.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3997918

The perp maybe just wanting to terrorize the motorists and slow them down on the road. Maybe he thinks if he gets caught with an airsoft gun he wont go to prison so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly