CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is quite the break with the sunroof shootings. I do think he has done a lot of the others and maybe shot at the people. He is getting bold and he will continue till caught.

Trying to think of what he would be doing in area on the last Monday of month. What would he need to do? Maybe he is having to attend some sort of community service and gets enraged when he has to arrive.

Something along those lines maybe.

Anyone willing to consider these shots are coming from drones flying beyond visual line of sight?

Let's also not forgot the possibility of shooting down from a higher vehicle?

I also thought about the possibility of him/ them firing from the roof of a building, but that would require quite a setup and roof access, etc, and doesn't fit in with the country road incidents, so being on the overpass would not offer much cover I don't think although I still think it's poooossible the shots could come from a vehicle passing over...so it's got to be some kind of elevated embankment, hidden by trees, thinking out loud, hey just had an idea...how about looking at a topographic map to look for elevated areas...

Lol, don't laugh at my image :blushing:

Potential routes, not counting back roads inside?

attachment.php

I'm looking at this and noticing the green areas/patches by the incidents. Note to zoom in on those, and get a distance from the incidents plus elevation.

Yes and yes. Those two elements help us tack down some of the shooter's MO and suggest a fair level of skill. We'd never been sure whether he had been shooting from the side of he road or another car, but in these attacks, at least, we know. You can't shoot out a sunroof from another car, so the shooter had to have been up on the overpass or high on an embankment. We now know that he can get into stationary positions off road, make difficult shots, and get out, all without being noticed by a river of people going by in cars.

Those attack sites offered precious little in the way of cover (see the screen shots below). He couldn't be sure that no one would have seen him get into position and called the police, so he would have to move quickly, take a relatively few well aimed shots at targets moving 75 mph, and get out quickly.

It's been clear for some time that most of the many the shatterings along I-25 were deliberate and the shooter(s) still active, but it was hard to put into one sentence that everyone would get. I think this pair of shatterings does that. "The latest attacks blew out sunroofs of two cars within an hour on the same six mile stretch of I-25."

Here's the view northward by the Mountain Vista Dr. overpass. (Footwarrior had suggested the Vine overpass might be a better interpretation of the location, and may be right. That area is very much like the Mountain Vista overpass but with even less vegetation or other cover).

attachment.php

Here's the south side of the overpass at East Harmony Rd., not far from where Cory Romero was wounded. (We aren't sure of this location either, but the alternative Hwy 14 area offers even less cover).

attachment.php

Thanks for these shots. Totally creepy. Especially in person.

Big Thompson River, Hill and Brush? Note to zoom in all of these later and look at elevations, a reason of cover, vantage points, etc..

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2015-10-28-12-40-52.jpg
    2015-10-28-12-40-52.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 114
Let's also not forgot the possibility of shooting down from a higher vehicle?

I also thought about the possibility of him/ them firing from the roof of a building, but that would require quite a setup and roof access, etc, and doesn't fit in with the country road incidents, so being on the overpass would not offer much cover I don't think although I still think it's poooossible the shots could come from a vehicle passing over...so it's got to be some kind of elevated embankment, hidden by trees, thinking out loud, hey just had an idea...how about looking at a topographic map to look for elevated areas...

I would caution against looking very far away from the road for attack vantage points. Too far - hundreds yards from the road - and your angle to the sunroofs becomes too shallow to hit them even from a building roof.

Anyone willing to consider these shots are coming from drones flying beyond visual line of sight?

I think that the distance involved would preclude even high powered rifles, much less the lower powered guns that the I-25 shatterer seems to be using. Drones can attack targets from far away, but only by dropping guided munitions.

But your earlier thought of a stationary device might fit - maybe a remotely controlled video camera and air pistol. The shooter (or maybe I should say the tecnician, in this case) could have set it up in the beams on the underside of the overpass. He'd have to run the considerable risk of LE's finding the gear before he could extract it, but he would be greatly limiting the risk his own hide. It would be plenty hard to do, though, I'm guessing.

Yes and yes. Those two elements help us tack down some of the shooter's MO and suggest a fair level of skill. We'd never been sure whether he had been shooting from the side of he road or another car, but in these attacks, at least, we know. You can't shoot out a sunroof from another car, so the shooter had to have been up on the overpass or high on an embankment. We now know that he can get into stationary positions off road, make difficult shots, and get out, all without being noticed by a river of people going by in cars.

Those attack sites offered precious little in the way of cover (see the screen shots below). He couldn't be sure that no one would have seen him get into position and called the police, so he would have to move quickly, take a relatively few well aimed shots at targets moving 75 mph, and get out quickly.

It's been clear for some time that most of the many the shatterings along I-25 were deliberate and the shooter(s) still active, but it was hard to put into one sentence that everyone would get. I think this pair of shatterings does that. "The latest attacks blew out sunroofs of two cars within an hour on the same six mile stretch of I-25."

Here's the view northward by the Mountain Vista Dr. overpass. (Footwarrior had suggested the Vine overpass might be a better interpretation of the location, and may be right. That area is very much like the Mountain Vista overpass but with even less vegetation or other cover).

View attachment 83483

Here's the south side of the overpass at East Harmony Rd., not far from where Cory Romero was wounded. (We aren't sure of this location either, but the alternative Hwy 14 area offers even less cover).

View attachment 83484

Take a look on the left side UNDER the bridge in the very shady area. Where people sometimes go when a tornadoe is on the highway and they pull over and go running up under a bridge embankment.

It sure is nice and dark up under there. I've actually went up inside one of those once while walking along to see how much room there is if a tornadoe comes and I was surprised at how much room there is right where the bank meets the overhead road.

Someone could setup there and nobody would know where the shot came from. The only thing though is I don't think the shooter is on foot so he would have had to had a bicycle or motorcycle if he went up under a bridge embankment like that.

I still haven't taken my new drone out to fly it because I haven't had a good enough open Saturday to go play with it. LOL

We have talked about the possibility of drones before and with this latest overhead shot onto a sunroof it does bring up the possibility again. The only thing though is the accuracy we have seen from the shooter is pretty incredible.

When I researched the more expensive drones, they have a feature where you can land the drone and still operate things on the drone while the drone is stationary. So if someone had rigged something to the drone and then flew it to the top of the overpasses and landed up there, then maybe they could get the accuracy needed. Its possible.

The expensive ones have a GPS "HOME Button" where when you are ready to fly your drong back to you, then you just hit the button and it flies back to you automatically.

It would take a pretty expensive drone in the 2-3 thousand dollar range to have the features needed.

It sure would give the shooter confidence that he would not be caught red handed. The worst he would lose is his drone and weapon and hope it doesn't get traced back to him.

The interesting thing too is the cameras can move to point wherever the user wants to point the camera so a person could fly it up high on a bridge post and then watch for any approaching vehicles and if someone spotted his drone then he could just fly it back home.

The expensive ones have a really good range too. Easily could fly over 1/4 mile away or so which means the person doesn't even have to be near the thing.

With all the news about drones lately it is becoming a possibility to not throw in the trash just yet. Especially if the person is landing it and shooting from a stationary drone where he would line up a target precicely.

This is quite the break with the sunroof shootings. I do think he has done a lot of the others and maybe shot at the people. He is getting bold and he will continue till caught.

Trying to think of what he would be doing in area on the last Monday of month. What would he need to do? Maybe he is having to attend some sort of community service and gets enraged when he has to arrive.

Something along those lines maybe.

I like your line of thought, but I'm figuring him for more controlled and deliberate. Enraged people screw up. The NoCO shooters are careful and calculated. They've hardly left a clue in the 30 attacks they have perpetrated, from what we've been able to see. (The shooters south of Denver, on the other hand, not so much. They are often sloppy). The NoCO shooter(s) choose particular times because they work best for them somehow. But the times seemed to be all over the place when we looked at them earlier. The dates and times are recorded in the case spreadsheet linked here if you want to look for patterns. Here's a snippet to show what it looks like.

Screenshot 2015-10-28 at 4.29.47 PM.jpg

DPS investigating report of shattered vehicle window on I-10

Posted: Oct 28, 2015 11:26 AM EDT Updated: Oct 28, 2015 1:15 PM EDT
By Jennifer Thomas, PHOENIX (KPHO/KTVK)

The AZ DPS is investigating a window shattering from about 5 a.m. Wed. 10/28/15 on I-10 near Loop 303 in Phoenix.

"Troopers responded and took photos of the vehicle...

At this time, it is unknown if the window was hit by a projectile or debris... ." [End of article].

It's hard to judge the cause. The reporter wasn't very specific about which window shattered. I'm assuming that she would have said "windshield" instead of window if it had been the windshield.

My guess is that this story wouldn't have made it to press on its own a year ago. Now the AZ DPS will probably have to try to work it to a conclusion even if it were actually debris.

But we don't face such a quandry in the NoCO case; we know that a perp is involved. He, or they did us a service in pairing up their last two attacks so obviously with so distinct a method. You need some sort of a gun and great timing to reliably shatter a sunroof. Sunroofs do sometimes shatter for natural causes, but I've never read of a shooting attack involving a shattered sunroof before. This is a signature. Sunroofs do get shattered by objects thrown from overpasses, but the cause is usually pretty obvious from the physical evidence. Kids throwing stuff from overpasses usually end up breaking windshields. These were attacks by someone quick and practiced enough to have done it twice within an hour from different locations. All without leaving a trace - at least that we've heard.

I posted on this thread a while ago and came back to it today because I read in the paper about the sunroof shattering. We are living in a house not far from Harmony. Gosh, how scary. I'll try to contribute some once I get to know the area better. Thanks for the great sleuthing!

Welcome back. Ears a ground level help. We've seen some incidents that never made the press, and others that only got there because the victim brought it to the attention of the press. Consider asking your auto repair guys if they've heard of any shatterings outside of what they've seen in the news.

I am not sure about drones. They attract a lot of attention. I have seen them around lately and everyone notices them and watches them with curiousity. JMO

What the actual h@ll is going on ??
Kudos to you all! Amazing work here!

Sunroof Explodes Without Warning
Expert Says It's More Common Than You Think
Theresa marchetta, The Denver Channel, 10:54 AM, May 22, 2010

This old article starts with a story of an unexplained sunroof shattering, with all of the usual elements:

"It sounded like a gun went off in the car",” said Travis Wright..., shocked..., scared to death..., There was no bullet, no rock, no object and no sign of anything that had hit and shattered the glass.

Call7 Investigator Theresa Marchetta went back to class at the Colorado School of Mines to get answers.

“We're using more and more glass. We need it to be stronger and unfortunately when you make glass stronger it also has this tendency to explode. It’s part of the territory,” said Mines chemistry professor Mark Eberhart. "When I tell you we get all kinds of calls about exploding glass, does that surprise you?"” asked Call7 Investigator Theresa Marchetta.

"No,” said Eberhart, “That's one of the things that comes with our use of glass in the world today.”

He goes on to explain that the surface of tempered glass is under compression, and the core is under tension. "Pretty soon scratches get through that layer of strong glass into the layer of weak glass. As soon as that happens and you just touch it or heat it up or you do something and it's all over. It goes",” said Eberhart.

"”I don't think it's something you should worry about. It’s probably less likely you'll be injured by that than being hit by lightning,”" he said.

And where was that shattered sunroof in 2010? On I-25 in Colorado.

I still haven't taken my new drone out to fly it because I haven't had a good enough open Saturday to go play with it. LOL

We have talked about the possibility of drones before and with this latest overhead shot onto a sunroof it does bring up the possibility again. The only thing though is the accuracy we have seen from the shooter is pretty incredible.

When I researched the more expensive drones, they have a feature where you can land the drone and still operate things on the drone while the drone is stationary. So if someone had rigged something to the drone and then flew it to the top of the overpasses and landed up there, then maybe they could get the accuracy needed. Its possible.

The expensive ones have a GPS "HOME Button" where when you are ready to fly your drong back to you, then you just hit the button and it flies back to you automatically.

It would take a pretty expensive drone in the 2-3 thousand dollar range to have the features needed.

It sure would give the shooter confidence that he would not be caught red handed. The worst he would lose is his drone and weapon and hope it doesn't get traced back to him.

The interesting thing too is the cameras can move to point wherever the user wants to point the camera so a person could fly it up high on a bridge post and then watch for any approaching vehicles and if someone spotted his drone then he could just fly it back home.

The expensive ones have a really good range too. Easily could fly over 1/4 mile away or so which means the person doesn't even have to be near the thing.

With all the news about drones lately it is becoming a possibility to not throw in the trash just yet. Especially if the person is landing it and shooting from a stationary drone where he would line up a target precisely.

the kind of drone I'm talking about would be "survey grade" meaning accuracy to less than an inch...I found this article that describes the process of 3D mapping with a drone... http://www.suasnews.com/2015/10/39397/a-drone-with-a-sense-of-direction/

this type of instrument would be prohibitively expensive for the hobbyist but now appears to be evolving from military to commercial use... normally one needs a base station to interpret positional accuracy from satellites...but there is a survey control network that operates along I-25 that eliminates that need...one of those base stations is off the frontage road of I-25 between Prospect and Mulberry (Hwy 14) ...

in other words, the drone would be flying BVLOS...beyond visual line of sight...

I can only speak for myself when I say that the increasing unsolved acts of terrorism grows more frustrating by the day.

10-27-2015 post Sunroofs
Re the latest shattering incidents yesterday, I think I might have been onto something around posts 637 thru 640? http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Shooter-Has-Colorado-Drivers-on-Edge-3/page43. My computer is totally fried right now so can barely post, but making a note to go back to around these posts re the under/overpasses and cross streets....I think the latest map graphical representations of yesterday's 2 shatterings as well as comparative dates are going to be quite powerful.

So weird, sunrooves? Must be sky debris.

Sky debris twice within minutes... Impossible, imho. The sunroof shatterings did require the impact to come from above whether from atop the overpasses or not. One overpass has cyclone fencing atop so that may make the target even more difficult to hit the mark; however, in the pic there is no visible traffic crossing the overpass. The object used must be harder than glass. I lean toward ceramic pieces used [with the slingshot] theory on these two incidents.

attachment.php

09-19-2015 post AZ case
This photo is also posted upstream for reference:

attachment.php

One of the vehicles hit by the shooter. (Arizona Department of Public Safety Photo)

<SNIP By Me>

http://heavy.com/news/2015/09/lesli...stic-terrorism-bullets-cars-trucks-dps-ducey/

The shattered glass does not appear to be from a bullet or BB but rather from an uneven-edged projectile. JMHO

09-01-2015 post NoCO
Northern Colorado Shooting Task Force says shattered windshield unrealted to other shooting cases
Phil Tenser, Marshall Zelinger
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...over-to-northern-colorado-shooting-task-force

"MORGAN COUNTY, Colo. - The Northern Colorado Task Force won't investigate a shooting in the area because a BB or pellet gun was used. A trucker's windshield guarded the man.

It happened between 7:20 and 7:30 a.m. Monday, Colorado State Trooper Nate Reid confirmed. The driver was headed eastbound on Highway 34 at mile marker 144, in Morgan County."

Snip

The case was originally handed over to the task force on suspicion it was connected to other cases."

Snip

"Authorities have now determined this case is unrelated to the others, but it doesn't sit well with Criswell, who says his choice to install a school bus windshield prevented him from getting hurt.

"It's thicker than standard glass. I feel if I would have had the standard windshield thickness in there, that the bullet would have come on through the windshield."

CrIswell isn't convinced this was just a BB gun, either. "A BB don't cause that," he said, referencing the shattered glass."

attachment.php

The victim went on to say that he felt it was a professional hit because of the position of the shot was right between his eyes. Perhaps a sniper was hiding in the back of a pickup truck driving in front of the Semi-truck.

09-01-2015 post NoCO
We don't have much on the nature of whatever it is that is hitting the windows in the incidents that seem most clearly to fit the NOCO window shatterer's MO. We have the dent on the door frame of Donna Sharp's car, we have Cori Romero's neck wound, and we have a report of a guy with a slingshot on the side of I-25. We have three windshields with impact marks, and one side window with enough glass left in it that you can make out part of the circle left by the projectile. We've got nothing on the others 23 or so but the empty space left by a side or back window.

Was a bullet casing, or any evidence indicating the type of weapon used, recovered from Cori Romero's neck, entry and exit, injuries? (I watched two of CRs interviews and never heard it mentioned.) Is there a photo of Donna Sharp's car damage?

A similar video may have already been posted that demonstrates how to shatter glass by using ceramic pieces. It is possible that a small piece of ceramic would not be noticeable during road inspections after a reported shattering; thereby, leading the LEO to determine "debris" as a cause.

[video=youtube;WRbR2fynp1o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRbR2fynp1o[/video]

Another video demonstrates that a brick cannot break tempered glass. (link intentionally broken to keep within video TOS)
youtube.com /watch?v=fHY4WeqrNio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member