CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only speak for myself when I say that the increasing unsolved acts of terrorism grows more frustrating by the day... [Many snips in this response by Forager].

10-27-2015 post Sunroofs

Sky debris twice within minutes... Impossible, imho. The sunroof shatterings did require the impact to come from above whether from atop the overpasses or not. One overpass has cyclone fencing atop so that may make the target even more difficult to hit the mark; however, in the pic there is no visible traffic crossing the overpass. The object used must be harder than glass. I lean toward ceramic pieces used [with the slingshot] theory on these two incidents.

09-19-2015 post AZ case

The shattered glass does not appear to be from a bullet or BB but rather from an uneven-edged projectile. JMHO

That would be consistant with the idea of wrist rocket or slingshot attacks - the alternatives all involve regularly shaped projectiles. I'm having a hard time, though, picturing a stealthy, accurate attack on a moving vehicle with a slingshot. Shooting chunks of spark plugs ('ninja rocks') would ruin accuracy or require very short ranges.

09-01-2015 post NoCO

Was a bullet casing, or any evidence indicating the type of weapon used, recovered from Cori Romero's neck, entry and exit, injuries? (I watched two of CRs interviews and never heard it mentioned.) Is there a photo of Donna Sharp's car damage?

Apart from the obvious that a bullet hit her, we have very little to go on in identifying the weapon or type of bullet used. There was some detailed discussion earlier about what photos of her neck wound suggested. Foxfire argued convincingly that they were consistent with a frangible round in this post. There were suggestions that it had to be a small caliber weapon. No shell casings were found. We have precious little on balistics from any of the other incidents either. LE's willingness to link the Jacoby and Romero shootings suggests that the same type of projectile was used in both attacks. They didn't make the same link to the Connole case. He was killed by a single, probably heavier caliber bullet to the chest. I'm guessing a high powered air gun for the window shatterings, but who knows.

4 people killed, including suspect, in 'random' Colorado Springs shooting

"COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Four people are dead, including the suspect, following a shooting spree near downtown Colorado Springs Saturday morning.

Our ABC-affiliate station in Colorado Springs reports police responded to a shots fire call in the area of Prospect and Chucharras Streets at around 8:45 a.m."

www.thedenverchannel.com

Also, a story from last week I wanted to post for reference. I noticed "Front Range Community College". I am unable to post anything from the link as I have used up my access. Iirc, he would have been in custody already by the time Monday's shatterings happened?

http://www.coloradoan.com
Trouble linking url

Wait, new article from today!
Arrest made in Front Range Community College threat

OMG he was out on bond and there was a new threat?! He drove by the college today...

"LARIMER COUNTY, Colo. - An arrest has been made after a man made an indirect threat against the Front Range Community College early Saturday afternoon.

David Moscow was arrested on Halloween for violation a protection order and a violation of bond conditions.

This isn't Moscow's first offense. He was arrested this past Monday on multiple weapon and drug charges, after police found an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle, hundreds of rounds of ammunition and illegal drugs inside his home. Police said Moscow threatened to burn down a building at Front Range Community College last week."

thedenverchannel.com
sorry having trouble linking url

I am not sure about drones. They attract a lot of attention. I have seen them around lately and everyone notices them and watches them with curiousity. JMO

Maybe it's tiny or looks like a bird...halfway kidding, the thought actually crossed my mind though about the bird lol, hate to give anyone ideas...

There was also another incident that I saw in the news this week, likely o/t, that I wanted to post just in case for reference, but I forgot what it is now. (Hard to keep up, FHG do you have my guest quarters ready yet? J/k lol)

In more wonderful news, a group of 5 in Weld County iirc have been arrested re: the disappearance of a woman and suspicion of murder. Link to WS thread:

Eta: sorry having trouble posting urls. Her name is Tera Lewandowski, she has a thread here.
There is also info about this on the Weld County Sheriff's Facebook page.

From the Denver Post:

Four dead in Colorado Springs officer-involved shooting
www.denverpost.com

Many roads near downtown Colorado Springs as police investigate an officer-involved shooting that left four people dead.

attachment.php

The rear window of a Colorado Springs Police car is shattered after a shooting Saturday, Oct. 31, 2015, in Colorado Springs, Colo. Multiple are dead, including a suspected gunman, following a shooting spree according to authorities. Lt. Catherine Buckley said the crime scene covers several major downtown streets. (Christian Murdock, Colorado Springs Gazette via AP)

"Multiple shootings Saturday in Colorado Springs left four people dead, including the suspected gunman.

The chaotic scene erupted Saturday morning and left residents shaken after three victims were shot and killed on the streets and sidewalks of the neighborhood. Minutes after the first shots were fired, the violent episode ended when the suspected gunman turned his rifle against Colorado Springs Police officers and started shooting.

The officers returned fire.

Investigators released few details about the shootings. They worked through the day Saturday, combing the crime scene that stretched several city blocks."

From www.cnn.com

"CNN affiliate KRDO reported that a heavily armed man shot and killed a bicyclist and two women. Witnesses said the man set the second floor of a residence on fire, KDRO reported."

M25, What is going on in CO?
<BBM>

Two women and a cyclist killed after heavily armed gunman opened fire in downtown of Colorado spot voted 'America's best place to live'

Four people are dead, including the suspect, following a shooting spree near downtown Colorado Springs Saturday morning
Police responded to a number of shots that were fired in the area of Prospect and Chucharras Streets at around 8:45 a.m.
A bicyclist was found shot to death on Prospect Street
Two women were also shot, apparently by the same man
Deputies said the suspect had multiple weapons on him
An early investigation shows possibly four Colorado Springs police officers fired at the suspect
By ASSOCIATED PRESS

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-gunman-Colorado-Springs.html#ixzz3qEcIPKCA
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

<snipped - read more>

So, for reference, can we assume that this is what a car rear windshield looks like after its been hit by an AR-15?

attachment.php

"I looked out my kitchen window and I saw a man in a green jacket firing an AR-15...waited a few seconds, went out my house, looked to my left and saw a man down the street, probably 50 feet. I started calling him and I called the cops," witness Matt Abshire told The Colorado Springs Gazette.
While waiting for Colorado Springs Police to answer, Abshire kept tailing the suspect.
"Still following him, he's heading left on Platte towards Palmer High School... probably a hundred yards past El Paso Street, he stops, turns to his left, fires four shots, shoots two ladies, one in the jaw, one in chest if I'm not mistaken."
Abshire told The Gazette he rushed to help, but that one of the victims was already dead.
Abshire said the officers encountered the gunman a moment later."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3298466/4-dead-including-suspected-gunman-Colorado-Springs.html#ixzz3qEcIPKCA

*That was brave of Abshire to have followed the gunman. Imagine if this guy would have gotten away! :eek:

Re: the AR-15, I realize this type of gun is id'd by a witness, just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if this is the same type of gun we noted on NS's facebook before it was deleted?

Attachments

• cosprings.jpg
    cosprings.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 81
M25, What is going on in CO?
<BBM>

Two women and a cyclist killed after heavily armed gunman opened fire in downtown of Colorado spot voted 'America's best place to live'

Four people are dead, including the suspect, following a shooting spree near downtown Colorado Springs Saturday morning
Police responded to a number of shots that were fired in the area of Prospect and Chucharras Streets at around 8:45 a.m.
A bicyclist was found shot to death on Prospect Street
Two women were also shot, apparently by the same man
Deputies said the suspect had multiple weapons on him
An early investigation shows possibly four Colorado Springs police officers fired at the suspect
By ASSOCIATED PRESS

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-gunman-Colorado-Springs.html#ixzz3qEcIPKCA
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

<snipped - read more>

It's not just Colorado.
There's so much happening Everywhere it seems.

I live in Colorado Springs.
It is sad that this happened.
This is not the same city that it used to be, unfortunately.
On that note, MANY cities aren't the same as they used to be.

I would ask, what is going on in this world?

IMOO.

ETA:
And I want to add, that I still LOVE Colorado Springs.
It is STILL a great place to live.
IMOO.

It's not just Colorado.
There's so much happening Everywhere it seems.

I live in Colorado Springs.
It is sad that this happened.
This is not the same city that it used to be, unfortunately.
On that note, MANY cities aren't the same as they used to be.

I would ask, what is going on in this world?

IMOO.

ETA:
And I want to add, that I still LOVE Colorado Springs.
It is STILL a great place to live.
IMOO.

Glad you're safe, Treelights.

So, for reference, can we assume that this is what a car rear windshield looks like after its been hit by an AR-15?

attachment.php

"I looked out my kitchen window and I saw a man in a green jacket firing an AR-15...waited a few seconds, went out my house, looked to my left and saw a man down the street, probably 50 feet. I started calling him and I called the cops," witness Matt Abshire told The Colorado Springs Gazette.
While waiting for Colorado Springs Police to answer, Abshire kept tailing the suspect.
"Still following him, he's heading left on Platte towards Palmer High School... probably a hundred yards past El Paso Street, he stops, turns to his left, fires four shots, shoots two ladies, one in the jaw, one in chest if I'm not mistaken."
Abshire told The Gazette he rushed to help, but that one of the victims was already dead.
Abshire said the officers encountered the gunman a moment later."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3298466/4-dead-including-suspected-gunman-Colorado-Springs.html#ixzz3qEcIPKCA

*That was brave of Abshire to have followed the gunman. Imagine if this guy would have gotten away! :eek:

Re: the AR-15, I realize this type of gun is id'd by a witness, just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if this is the same type of gun we noted on NS's facebook before it was deleted?

<BBM for Focus>

Yes, very brave and yes the rifle is an AR15 which is the same as shown on NS's facebook page. An AR15 is commonly referred to as an assault rifle. It is similar to the M16 military assault rifle used in the Vietnam war era. The AR15 is only a semi automatic rifle whereas the M16 is semi & fully automatic.

M16 Photos
https://www.google.com/search?q=m16...0CDMQsARqFQoTCMy_7_Hj78gCFUbqJgodvyQOXQ&dpr=1

AR15 Photos
https://www.google.com/search?q=ar+...X&ved=0CBwQsARqFQoTCMXSjuHm78gCFYjUJgod1EAC2A

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle
The M16 rifle, officially designated Rifle, Caliber 5.56 mm, M16, is a United States military adaptation of the ArmaLite AR-15 rifle.
Maximum firing range&#8206;: &#8206;3,600 m (3,937 yd) Barrel length&#8206;: &#8206;20 in (508 mm)
Effective firing range&#8206;: &#8206;550 m (601 yd) ... Weight&#8206;: &#8206;7.18 lb (3.26 kg) (unloaded); 8.7

[The original post got snarled up when I tried to edit it. I'm starting fresh here and will try to delete the original one].

Here are how yesterday's shootings map (the two yellow stars covering the three victims).

The grey stars are markers from earlier incidents that we'd noted:
- the Martin shooting at the camp site on 7/3/15,
- the shooting of the lady on the motorcycle in the Garden of the Gods park on 8/30/15,
- and the wounding of three people driving further south on I-25 on 6/5/15

Screenshot 2015-11-01 at 1.36.23 PM.png

Here how the location of yesterday's shootings compares with those of the suspected serial shooters in the Denver and NoCO areas.

Screenshot 2015-11-01 at 1.35.39 PM.png

Perps in common? Too early to tell, of course, but I'm guessing this guy hadn't been involved in the other shatterings or shootings. Pathologies in common? We're seeing an awful lot of seemingly random attacks in CO this year.

I have a question, in other "rampage shootings", did any of the perps shoot at any buildings, people or cars "sniper style" individually before they went all out on their rampages?

I'm not saying yesterday's massacre was by the same perp who killed Jacoby, Connole, shot at Romero or is possibly responsible for our any of our shatterings, but I do wonder in general about the concept of escalation as related to rampage shooters.

I sadly await the ids on yesterday's victims, as well as the identity of the shooter so we can sleuth him and see what he was in to.

Looking forward to looking at Forager's latest map updates.

Anyone want to guess the age of the shooter? My money is on age 17-22. 28 max surely, jmo. We'll see...

Glad you're safe, Treelights.

Thanks!
We just got back from a hike in Colorado Springs about ten minutes ago.
We met Many friendly people on the hike.
Even though this tragedy happened, it does not make me fear for my life.
This is a wonderful city. :)
I won't let this deter me from enjoying my life here in Colorado Springs.
IMOO.

ETA:
It was 64 degrees and I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt! Nov. 1st! Unbelievably beautiful
fall weather! :)
Pikes Peak is covered in snow; a breathtaking view of the mountains, and the city with
the hues of orange, red and yellow in some of the trees.
Perfect autumn day! :)

<BBM for Focus>

Yes, very brave and yes the rifle is an AR15 which is the same as shown on NS's facebook page. An AR15 is commonly referred to as an assault rifle. It is similar to the M16 military assault rifle used in the Vietnam war era. The AR15 is only a semi automatic rifle whereas the M16 is semi & fully automatic.

M16 Photos
https://www.google.com/search?q=m16...0CDMQsARqFQoTCMy_7_Hj78gCFUbqJgodvyQOXQ&dpr=1

AR15 Photos
https://www.google.com/search?q=ar+...X&ved=0CBwQsARqFQoTCMXSjuHm78gCFYjUJgod1EAC2A

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle
The M16 rifle, officially designated Rifle, Caliber 5.56 mm, M16, is a United States military adaptation of the ArmaLite AR-15 rifle.
Maximum firing range&#8206;: &#8206;3,600 m (3,937 yd) Barrel length&#8206;: &#8206;20 in (508 mm)
Effective firing range&#8206;: &#8206;550 m (601 yd) ... Weight&#8206;: &#8206;7.18 lb (3.26 kg) (unloaded); 8.7

Thanks Foxfire.

I also just noticed that the guy arrested (AGAIN) yesterday for the threat on FRCC (David Moscow) also had an AR-15.

Is the AR-15 the weapon of choice used by most rampage shooters?

Also, posted upstream are the pics of the incidents on the school building and medical facilities. I remember you guys noticing the "bursts" of ammunition. What was the gun/caliber speculated to be on those incidents?

<snipped for focus>

Also, posted upstream are the pics of the incidents on the school building and medical facilities. I remember you guys noticing the "bursts" of ammunition. What was the gun/caliber speculated to be on those incidents?

There were what appeared to be two row of three bullet holes each in the window of the Banner hospital in Ft. Collins that was shot on 9/12/14. That suggests that the shooter was shooting short bursts from a fully automatic assault rifle like an M-16 that allows you to keep firing quickly without having to pull the trigger again and again. Individuals aren't generally allowed to own fully automatic assault rifles, but can own semi-automatic versions of them like the AR-15 that can only fire as quickly as you can pull your trigger finger, as Foxfire had mentioned earlier. Some semi-automatic assault rifles can be 'modded' back to fully automatic by someone who knows what they are doing.

All we know about the bullets fired at the hospital is that they were too light or slow to go thru the windows. 22 cal.? [ETA: Or a frangible round of a higher caliber? As I'd mentioned in an earlier post, I've heard that some kinds of frangibles won't penetrate windshields.]

Screenshot 2015-11-01 at 8.21.13 PM.jpg

Photo credit 7 News ABC, KMGH

This is really sad to read:

"Witnesses told The Gazette newspaper that the bike rider pleaded, "don't shoot me.""

Re: the investigation:

"Officers quickly loaded the gunman into a vehicle, Nicks said.

Following department protocol, the officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave, said Lt. Catherine Buckley, spokeswoman for the Colorado Springs Police Department.
Police are withholding the identity of the victims and shooter pending completion of autopsies and identification of next of kin.
The identities likely won't be released until Monday or later, police said.
The El Paso County Sheriff's Office will investigate the officer-involved shooting. Once completed, that investigation will be turned over to the El Paso County District Attorney's Office for review."

Gunman started Colorado Springs rampage by killing bike rider
Gunman aimed at a woman standing outside her home before turning and shooting bike rider who pleaded for his life.
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_29056143/gunman-started-colorado-springs-rampage-by-killing-bike

Yes, it is magz.

BTW, your guest quarters are ready.

You've all done such superb work on this thread, a very rich read upthread as I catch up, much appreciated.

[h=1]This is really sad to read:

Witnesses told The Gazette newspaper that the bike rider pleaded, "don't shoot me."

Re: the investigation:

"Officers quickly loaded the gunman into a vehicle, Nicks said.
[/h]Following department protocol, the officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave, said Lt. Catherine Buckley, spokeswoman for the Colorado Springs Police Department.
Police are withholding the identity of the victims and shooter pending completion of autopsies and identification of next of kin.
The identities likely won't be released until Monday or later, police said.
The El Paso County Sheriff's Office will investigate the officer-involved shooting. Once completed, that investigation will be turned over to the El Paso County District Attorney's Office for review."

[h=1]Gunman started Colorado Springs rampage by killing bike rider
Gunman aimed at a woman standing outside her home before turning and shooting bike rider who pleaded for his life.
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_29056143/gunman-started-colorado-springs-rampage-by-killing-bike
[/h]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member