CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<snipped>
There were two cases of parking lot shootings, one fatal, within a mile and a half of one another in Aurora in the wee hours of Sunday morning. Were either or both a William Connole style attack on a random pedestrian? I'm not sure we'll ever know. A few quick reports came out, with the usual confusion and errors of initial reports. No suspects or motives known. The police are quoted by one story as saying that the incidents are related, and another that they are not. And that was it for follow-up, at least for now. I've mapped them, as in the screen shot below, but have put them in the "Disused Markers" layer until we get more on them.

Aurora police: Sunday overnight shootings are connected
Man found wounded in parking lot later died, and a second victim called 911 from another location
By Tom McGhee
The Denver Post

Searchingirl said:
they captured this guy for the shootings police said were connected in Aurora on 9/27/15...
ABC 7 News, Anica Padilla
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...ora-apartments

Thank you for that. I think we can safely put that one aside as "off topic" for us. What had seemed like two shootings turns out to have been one double shooting without any indication of random targeting.

I'm still able to pick my nose only because I hadn't heard about this as a kid. This video of a dried-ice-in-a-glass bottle bomb shows a teenager losing an index finger.

Published on Youtube on May 13, 2012 by "Crackpot Inventor"
Kid blows his finger off playing around with a homemade bomb
https://youtu.be/HLy8mVbHy4I

attachment.php

Attachments

• TGQE6aNf8n-8.png
    TGQE6aNf8n-8.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 100
As we've seen again and again in the NoCO case, the occupant of a car whose window shatters usually jumps to the conclusion, at least initially, that they have been attacked with a firearm. Many people seem to mistake the bang that the glass itself produces as it shatters for the report of a firearm. I do hope that these officers were better than most people at recognizing a real attack and figuring out who was responsible. Based on what we've heard so far, however, I have no reason to beleive they got it wrong.

L.A. police shoot a man to death after patrol car window shatters
Matt Hamilton, LA Times, 10/4/15
<snipped>

Man fatally shot by officers in Van Nuys shattered window with beer bottle, police say
Brenda Gazzar, Los Angeles Daily News

"Bottle Bomb" I am thinking is something simple like candy Mentos and Diet Coke. There are other variations using Vinegar and other simple items. These types of bottle bombs makes me immediately think of younger perps.

edit: I did not see that Forager already suggested this.

It could be dry ice and water in a plastic bottle which creates a very loud noise. See here [video=youtube;nZHGK37jBp8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZHGK37jBp8&t=1m14s[/video]

edit: I did not see that Forager already suggested this.

It could be dry ice and water in a plastic bottle which creates a very loud noise. See here < video snipped - I'm already too tempted>

The more meyhem, the merrier!

http://www.timescall.com/opinion/ed...-out-nothing-search-northern-colorado-shooter

the Longmont Times Call published this editorial...it mentions a shooting in Dacono that I don't remember reading about 3 weeks ago...the article encourages us to remain observant...at least it's something new...

Thanks sG. Good find.

Location / details for reference and map, etc:

"After a "projectile" shattered a window at a medical clinic in Dacono a little more than two weeks ago, Northern Colorado Task Force spokesman David Moore noted: "You can't rule out anything until you look into it."

The task force has yet to announce if the item pulled from the window frame at Centura Dacono Neighborhood Health Center is a bullet. But given that the center's window was shattered the same weekend as shots were fired at a health care facility and at an elementary school in south Fort Collins, police were right to call in the task force."

*note to find brainstorming post re: Dacono from thread 1 and perhaps another more recent post; I remember mentioning it a couple times, probably relating to geography/ logistics re: the incident on Hwy 52.

http://www.timescall.com/opinion/ed...-out-nothing-search-northern-colorado-shooter

the Longmont Times Call published this editorial...it mentions a shooting in Dacono that I don't remember reading about 3 weeks ago...the article encourages us to remain observant...at least it's something new...

The Longmont Times Call piece was very polite, but I was hearing an undertone of insistence that the various categories of NoCO shootings not be too quickly shrugged off as isolated incidents.

The three building shootings seem related to one another, IMO, by timing (all in one weekend), weapon type (all bullets), and geography (see the orange stars in the screen shot, below, of the case map). And two of them were within a nine miles of the Romero, Jacoby, anonymous man, and Connole attacks (the red stars). (I've 'hidden", for the moment, the map layers for the NoCO window shatterings and all of the shootings and shatterings south of Denver).
Screenshot 2015-10-08 at 12.26.01 PM.png

The Longmont Times Call piece was very polite, but I was hearing an undertone of insistence that the various categories of NoCO shootings not be too quickly shrugged off as isolated incidents.

The three building shootings seem related to one another, IMO, by timing (all in one weekend), weapon type (all bullets), and geography (see the orange stars in the screen shot, below, of the case map). And two of them were within a nine miles of the Romero, Jacoby, anonymous man, and Connole attacks (the red stars). (I've 'hidden", for the moment, the map layers for the NoCO window shatterings and all of the shootings and shatterings south of Denver).
attachment.php

Thank you, Forager. Interesting...

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2015-10-08-13-11-42-1.jpg
    2015-10-08-13-11-42-1.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 63
Re screenshot above, notes to self and/or Forager before I forget, have to rush out:

Triangulate / add distance markers to above image
Additional triangle needed for 4/28, 3 incidents
Also, triangulate 3 incidents (medical facilities and school building)
Add victim triangle

Dark Side of the Moon album cover coming up lol

Re screenshot above, notes to self and/or Forager before I forget, have to rush out:

Add victim triangle

Here's a quick something toward what you are looking for. The red circles are unexplained window shatterings. The red stars are for the Romero, Jacoby, anonymous guy and Connole shootings. The two orange stars are building shootings. (The third is further south, out of the map area).

Screenshot 2015-10-08 at 5.39.59 PM.png

Add victim triangle

Here's a screenshot of the 4/28/15 window shatterings (the yellow circles, the rest of the window shatterings are hidden). You can also see the Romero, Jacoby, Anonymous Guy and Connole shootings (red stars) and the building shootings (orange stars). The range of the 4/28/15 incidents is about 40 miles, north to south (the red line). The entire range of the NoCO window shatterings only extends in either direction by another five miles or so. We only have a time of day for the more northern two of the 4/28/15 shatterings: "about 9:40 am" for one, and "about 9:50 am" for the next one, a mile or two further north.

Screenshot 2015-10-09 at 12.00.58 AM.png

In setting up the screen shot, I realized that I had the wrong location for the 4/28/15 2/3 shattering, too far south by many miles because I'd mistaken Weld Co. 50 for Larimer Co. 50. I've fixed it now. Apologies.

Is there a chart or graph available regarding the ethnicity of the victims? TIA

Is there a chart or graph available regarding the ethnicity of the victims? TIA

I don't think I've ever seen victim race or ethnicity reported on any of the incidents we've looked at. We rarely even get pictures or names of victims. Usually only gender and age. But I doubt any of that would get us anywhere even if we knew it, unless they were overwhelmingly from one group or another. For the window shatterings, at least, I've got to believe that the targeting is based on shooting opportunities, and that the window shooter doesn't care who his victims are. He doesn't even show much interest in hurting them, or sending a message to anyone about anything. I think he's all about making the shot and getting away with it. I don't think he cares whose face is on the target.

I was on vacation in CO beginning on March 23 - Maunday Thursday, April 2.

While traveling through the Denver area near Centennial, around noon, I was sitting in the passenger's seat when I when a noise that sounded like something hard hit my windshield on the bottom right hand corner. Within a minute or two a crack formed that appeared had begun at the bottom edge of the windshield.

I asked my friend, the driver, to pull off at the next exit. I googled for then phoned the nearest Toyota Dealership since I owned a Camry. We took the Camry nearby to Auto Nation Arapahoe. It was three miles tops from where I heard the loud pop. The body shop tech explained that the crack was not in the top layer of glass but was actually the underneath layer and likely caused from stress from a hard rock or something similar hitting that area near the windshield's frame. We left the vehicle for a new windshield to be installed.

We took a courtesy car to Twin Peaks on E. Arapahoe to wait for the windshield to be replaced. While there, we were informed by Auto Nation that it would take an extra day to install the new windshield so we booked a room at a nearby hotel for the night which was a bit annoying since the scenery was not nearly the same as what we were accustomed to enjoying on the magnificent western side of Denver.

I did not realize until my return home and checking into WS that the shattered windows were occurring. I am not claiming that the shooter hit my windshield but it sure is suspect to me now that I have learned more details about the areas and dates where the window shatterings have occurred.

While traveling through the Denver area near Centennial, around noon, I was sitting in the passenger's seat when I when a noise that sounded like something hard hit my windshield on the bottom right hand corner. Within a minute or two a crack formed that appeared had begun at the bottom edge of the windshield.

I asked my friend, the driver, to pull off at the next exit. I googled for then phoned the nearest Toyota Dealership since I owned a Camry. We took the Camry nearby to Auto Nation Arapahoe. It was three miles tops from where I heard the loud pop. The body shop tech explained that the crack was not in the top layer of glass but was actually the underneath layer and likely caused from stress from a hard rock or something similar hitting that area near the windshield's frame. We left the vehicle for a new windshield to be installed.

We took a courtesy car to Twin Peaks on E. Arapahoe to wait for the windshield to be replaced. While there, we were informed by Auto Nation that it would take an extra day to install the new windshield so we booked a room at a nearby hotel for the night which was a bit annoying since the scenery was not nearly the same as what we were accustomed to enjoying on the magnificent western side of Denver.

I did not realize until my return home and checking into WS that the shattered windows were occurring. I am not claiming that the shooter hit my windshield but it sure is suspect to me now that I have learned more details about the areas and dates where the window shatterings have occurred.

As a possible victim, you bring a rare perspective, and knowledge of a new incident. That's certainly fascinating for the rest of us. I hope that it isn't too distressing to you. Some people who have had a window shatter didn't enjoy the memories at all. Some seem to take the experience as a reminder of our vulnerability.

But I'm the thread mapping guy, and not much of a psychologist, so forgive me if I get all clinical on you. Which highway you were on when the windshield was hit? I jumped to the assumption that it was the northbound side of I-25 (aka Hwy. 87) and tried to use your descreption to plot your location when your windshield was hit. I tried placing the southern limit of where you might have been (the B teardrop) three miles south on I-25 from the Auto Nation shop (the A teardrop) in Arapahoe where you stopped after the shooting. So I'm guessing that you might have been somewhere along the green line. Does that look right to you?

Screenshot 2015-10-10 at 12.59.17 AM.png

You mention that you were on vacation from 3/23/15 - 4/2/15. Can you pin the date of the attack down more precisely and/or give us an idea of what time of day it was?

Finally, could you give us whatever you can remember about what traffic was like when you were hit? Knowing if there were other cars to the right of you, or ahead of you on either the northbound or southbound side of the highway would be a help.

I'll try to give some feedback once I understand the situation a little better. Thanks very much for sharing your experience with us.

I am moving to Fort Collins in a few days and have been reading this thread. Hope I don't have anything to report. But if I do, I will! :scared:

Thanx for sharing and welcome to the thread DeDee... Do you have the receipt for your windshield repair? Many times the technician that replaced the windshield will be denoted. Although it has been seven months, you may be able to get more specific info on the cause of the damage.
We had discussed early on in the thread that many folks that were tourists or just driving through the north Denver area when having window shatterings may not be aware that they should report it. Have you reported your window shattering incident to the task force?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back