CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He cannot get life insurance without bodies. They have to be declared dead.

I wonder if he wanted SW found or did he run out of time?

Digging is hard work, though. What kind of soil is there? It looks sandy
Why not bury them together? I would think he tried to put SW in the tank first. Or at least realized she wasn't going to fit before placing the girls there. Smh

I saw a timeline on AB. She said he left the location where he disposed of the bodies and arrived at work at 7:30am. She doesn’t say how she knows this or where the worksite was. This is all I’ve heard about it. CNN.com - Transcripts
If 7:30am work arrival is true, it’d be interesting to know if it took him two hours to dump all three bodies. Or, if he went somewhere after dumping the bodies (a place to clean up?, a restaurant/coffee shop?), or if he just hung out in the fields till 7:30am. Had to have been dirty/sweaty.

He cannot get life insurance without bodies. They have to be declared dead.

I wonder if he wanted SW found or did he run out of time?

Digging is hard work, though. What kind of soil is there? It looks sandy
Sandy soil is often harder to dig a deep hole in, it keeps falling back in the hole, not as back breaking, but takes longer.

I’m not 100% convinced he won’t attempt suicide at some point. IDK
I’ve watched psychological analysis of his TV interviews & it’s been suggested that his body language did convey remorse when speaking of the children. Otherwise he seemed almost joyful. I’ll try to find a link.
I was thinking if he did kill himself, it won’t be because of remorse, but because he has lost what he was trying to get by killing them and not getting caught — freedom to move on. Now he is screwed.

Why is it hearsay when it’s a video of him and the jury can see it?

The defense can't offer a videotape of CW because the prosecution has the right to cross-examine a witness on the stand.

There are exceptions to the hearsay rule. One of the exceptions is that the out-of-court statement by a party opponent may be offered for evidence. This means that the prosecution could introduce a statement by CW into evidence, but CW can't offer that same statement unless he takes the stand to testify.

I was thinking if he did kill himself, it won’t be because of remorse, but because he has lost what he was trying to get by killing them and not getting caught — freedom to move on. Now he is screwed.
He must have really believed he was going to get away with this and live happily ever after. It always amazes me what knuckleheads people can be.

If 7:30am work arrival is true, it’d be interesting to know if it took him two hours to dump all three bodies. Or, if he went somewhere after dumping the bodies (a place to clean up?, a restaurant/coffee shop?), or if he just hung out in the fields till 7:30am. Had to have been dirty/sweaty.
He didn’t have 2 hours. He left at 5:27am. The oil field was 40 miles from his house. You have to take away at least 40 minutes to get there. Then he had to dig the grave. How long would that take? Expert on AB said 30 minutes to dig 3’ grave. I asked my husband, he said it would take him an hour.

While what you say may be true, I heard the DA say that they were not going to discuss the investigation with the public. If someone in LE felt the need to leak to the press, I call it conduct unbecoming to a police officer. Maybe it’s just me, but how do we know if it’s true?
We don't. Which is my point. My local P.D. has over 1000 officers and they'll get fired if they talk to the media without authorization.
The DA is not going to allow this case to become a media circus and that's a good thing. JMO

That’s definitely a possibility.

‘Everyone Liked Him’: Did Colorado Dad Chris Watts Lead a Double Life?
Someone asked earlier about them qualifying for a house purchase and their income.

According to his former employer, CW was hired to work at a Ford dealership before they moved to Colorado in 2012.
Shannan was hired by the same dealership to work in their internet department.
At the time of their house purchase, he was supposedly making $141K IIRC which would be pretty high even if he was ASE and Ford factory certified IMHO.
As someone else pointed out, SW may have not been on the original FHA application due to income levels.

Why would he leave that job for one that pays less than half?

I noticed a post up thread/last thread? where it was speculated that the leaks would work in the interest's of the State. eg.. the link about CW being " in mourning."

That definitely and understandably did rile a lot of people - I saw the reactions across 3 SM platforms, incl WS, so I can see that sort of thing working to the State's advantage

It certainly worked to the advantage of the DA prosecuting Scott Peterson. The media circus had him convicted long before trial and Nancy Grace launched her career on it. I hope this DA has more integrity and doesn't jeopardize CW's rights.

Why not bury them together? I would think he tried to put SW in the tank first. Or at least realized she wasn't going to fit before placing the girls there. Smh

He may have tried to put SW in but carrying her up those ladders. Probably hard.

None of it makes sense. Is that field one no one goes to? The tanks are a great hiding place. Who would ever imagine that? But with her body there, a search may have ensued and the tanks considered.

Was he going to come back later and redo SW? Maybe a different idea?

I think the plane delay goofed up everything. He may have had a totally different plan.

Someone should compliment him on his brains and see if they can get some info

<modsnip> It is highly relevant and admissible evidence in the guilt phase. I am very confident this evidence will be offered by the prosecution and admitted by the court.

It's gold for the state. Incredible evidence.

<modsnip>the original question posed was whether the defense could offer CW's recorded confession to prove his version of events, that he saw SW strangle the children on the baby monitor.

The answer to that question is No. The defense may not offer a recording of his own statement because it would be hearsay, which as you know is an out of court statement offered for the proof of the matter asserted. Unless an exception applies, the defendant cannot offer a recorded statement from anyone because the prosecution would have the right to cross-examine the witness.

There are exceptions to the hearsay rule. One of those is that you may offer the out-of-court statement of a party opponent; i.e., the other side. So the prosecution can play the video of CW's confession, and then if CW wants to dispute what he said in the video, he could choose to testify.

You have asserted that the prosecution would use the confession recording and media recording, and I agree with you that they may.

Last edited by a moderator:
He may have tried to put SW in but carrying her up those ladders. Probably hard.

None of it makes sense. Is that field one no one goes to? The tanks are a great hiding place. Who would ever imagine that? But with her body there, a search may have ensued and the tanks considered.

Was he going to come back later and redo SW? Maybe a different idea?

I think the plane delay goofed up everything. He may have had a totally different plan.

Someone should compliment him on his brains and see if they can get some info
And the friend calling the police before he could do any more cleaning up.

The defense can't offer a videotape of CW because the prosecution has the right to cross-examine a witness on the stand.

There are exceptions to the hearsay rule. One of the exceptions is that the out-of-court statement by a party opponent may be offered for evidence. This means that the prosecution could introduce a statement by CW into evidence, but CW can't offer that same statement unless he takes the stand to testify.
That makes sense. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member