Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #38

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing filed today by the defense in response to the state's motion. Maybe tomorrow.
Were they supposed to file something? I thought the court was going to schedule a hearing next (per the second order, which I thought vacated the first?) but maybe I’m mistaken.

I would much rather see another document filed than wait for the results of a hearing... :)

They dropped the wrongful death because SP still maintained his innocence. It's in the article I linked.

I've not heard of any substantial insurance policy on SW and we have been asked not to discuss other cases.
Article also states there could have been a quiet settlement. And OJ also claims he's innocent. The fact is that the purpose of the suit (protection prior to conviction) was satisfied. I suspect SW family will do the same. MOO

(Not discussing random case, but another husband charged with murder of his wife, and how wife's family and Executor protected her estate and life insurance prior to his conviction).

Last edited:
Perhaps. But a character witness won’t do CW much good.

I didn't say they would be character witnesses. I think there will be witnesses who knew and interacted with the couple who may have observed interactions between the couple or with their children. JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
To the attorneys: I would have guessed if the autopsy supported C.W. version of events (in any way) that his attorneys would have filed paperwork to revisit possible bail. The judge did mention in the last hearing that it could be brought up at a later time.
I’m sorry if this has already been asked and answered. And, thanks for any input into the question.

It tells me that the Watts family wants to keep their privacy. They do not owe anyone, especially those pesky news people, any of their time. From a parent's perspective, I am sure they are deeply saddened by what their son did. Please remember that they also lost two beautiful granddaughters and a future grandson. If and when they make a statement, I will listen to it or read it, but I am not expecting anything from them. We need to be polite and leave them alone. My humble and Southern routed opinion.
I 100% agree and well said :)

With all due respect, this was a roommate at NASCAR Tech from when CW was about 20 years old. SM was not big at that time, and CW later moved across the country from NC to CO. IMO the fact that these two did not stay in touch does not mean CW did not have friends.
I still am friends with my roommates in college, before SM and with one living states away. He just hasn't had anyone that knows him now, speak up for him unless I have missed that fact. Not his parents, not his sibling(s), cousins, aunts, uncles, or grandparents. Not that one good buddy. The silence speaks to me.

Shanann Watts’ father appointed representative of her estate
Shanann did not leave a will. But on Thursday in a Weld County Court telephone hearing, Shannan’s father requested that he be appointed as the personal representative of her estate. That means he will collect all of her assets, but it doesn’t mean he’ll automatically receive them. “Once that estate is collected and he’s figured out whether she owed any money or needs to pay any taxes – after that then he’ll distribute to who is entitled to receive it. It’s typically the spouse and that’s probably where the disagreement is going to arise depending on how the criminal prosecution of Mr. Watts goes,” Dan McKenzie, attorney with McKenzie law firm said.

If Watts is found guilty, Shanann’s father may use a state statute to block him from receiving her possessions.

“He will try and prevent Mr. Watts from getting the property under Colorado Slayer’s Statute which says you can’t benefit from someone you are guilty of causing the death of,” McKenzie said.

The couple’s Fredrick home is valued at more than $400,000 and is only in Christopher Watts’ name. During the telephone hearing, Watts did not object to the appointing of his father-in-law as the representative.

Were they supposed to file something? I thought the court was going to schedule a hearing next (per the second order, which I thought vacated the first?) but maybe I’m mistaken.

I would much rather see another document filed than wait for the results of a hearing... :)

Oh I never saw the second order.

Hmm. It seems odd there would be a hearing without knowing the defendant's position.

So be it.

I believe OP is reference to States motion not to disclose autopsy reports prior to trial.

To the attorneys: I would have guessed if the autopsy supported C.W. version of events (in any way) that his attorneys would have filed paperwork to revisit possible bail. The judge did mention in the last hearing that it could be brought up at a later time.
I’m sorry if this has already been asked and answered. And, thanks for any input into the question.

That's a good question. Yes. If there was some evidence like SW's DNA under the girl's fingernails or her acrylic finger nail marks around their necks, I think the defense could request a new bail hearing.

I believe they’ve been advised not to at this time. MOO
I believe that is true EXCEPT I don't believe his parents were asked to not make a statement of any kind. They could have come forward with a statement such as, We are devastated by the loss of our daughter in law and grandchildren, we love and support our son and will wait on the evidence to tell the story, all delivered by a spokesman. Their silence speaks volumes to me.

That's a good question. Yes. If there was some evidence like SW's DNA under the girl's fingernails or her acrylic finger nail marks around their necks, I think the defense could request a new bail hearing.

This could be staged, after SW and the girls were murdered.
Knowing the many mistakes, we have discovered with CW's actions, this staging would be identified.
MOO

Oh I never saw the second order.

Hmm. It seems odd there would be a hearing without knowing the defendant's position.

So be it.
I *think* it’s because the motion to seal fell under CORA, which states the court shall hold a hearing to determine if the custodian can meet the threshold to have them sealed. We now know there have been a number of open records requests so those parties probably need to be heard...

Everyone liked him,” Smith added. “It’s actually amazing how many people that knew him have completely turned on him and think he’s this monster when he hasn’t even been convicted.”

‘Everyone Liked Him’: Did Colorado Dad Chris Watts Lead a Double Life?

Yes. It's also probably a bit telling that so many people who knew him have turned on him. In most cases we see those who were close to the accused are incapable of believing the charges. At least for a good long time.

Not here. Besides I'm sure his family, only this gal seems to believe him.

That indicates to me he didn't have close friends. Because it is human nature to not believe bad things about close friends. We see it in every single case.

I can't recall when CW was grilling. I was wondering if he had killed the girls by then and was burning evidence. JMO.
Talia Tirella, Producer, Crime and Justice spoke with a next door neighbor of the Watts family. See below for excerpt of CNN transcript.

CNN.com - Transcripts
She says that the night before, that Sunday night. Around 7:15, she was on her back deck. She had some family over. They were hanging out. She noticed Chris Watts was in the Watts family backyard, and he was barbecuing, you know, doing some grilling. But what stood out to her was she didn`t hear any noise, any children calling for their dad, anything like that.

I *think* it’s because the motion to seal fell under CORA, which states the court shall hold a hearing to determine if the custodian can meet the threshold to have them sealed. We now know there have been a number of open records requests so those parties probably need to be heard...

Yes. I think that a hearing would now be necessary due to the CORA requests. But the court, I would think, still needs to hear the defense's position to the motion.

But that wasn't addressed.

As a party to the case their position is crucial.

Talia Tirella, Producer, Crime and Justice spoke with a next door neighbor of the Watts family. See below for excerpt of CNN transcript.

CNN.com - Transcripts
She says that the night before, that Sunday night. Around 7:15, she was on her back deck. She had some family over. They were hanging out. She noticed Chris Watts was in the Watts family backyard, and he was barbecuing, you know, doing some grilling. But what stood out to her was she didn`t hear any noise, any children calling for their dad, anything like that.
Didn't the girls have an early bedtime of around 6h30pm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bman1986