Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #38

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is it was a posturing move designed to help the credibility of their client in the public eye? I thought it was a pretty shrewd move until we just had an attorney say it could backfire. My guess is they have to work with what limited resources they have to make their client look good?

It hasn't backfired yet, has it? I think the defense knows exactly what it is doing and is doing it well. JMO

A mortgage is a lien against the deed which must be paid first when the property is sold. JMO

The discussion was originally about the house being only in his name. Not about the mortgage - which obviously always has to be paid by someone. It was in both of their names. If she was on the deed, she was entitled to half the house even if she personally never paid a dime for it. That’s all. Jmo.

But that is because his defence team seem ignorant of the process of an autopsy. Maybe they should educate themselves on that before they comment. The ME just reports his findings.
We'll agree to disagree. I'm not about to call the defense "ignorant" because there is no basis in fact to such an accusation. JMO

It hasn't backfired yet, has it? I think the defense knows exactly what it is doing and is doing it well. JMO
Yup. Hopefully they continue to do so. No one wants a viable appeal for “ineffective counsel.”

Once he’s behind bars, or better yet, on death row, I want him to be left with as little hope as possible.

I feel the need to respond, as I have before. I have no knowledge about different drugs and how they can affect people---a husband hopped up on marijuana edibles killed his wife by "mistake". And like other states as I have heard, other drugs are more prevalent in Colorado than they were when I grew up there. From an outsiders perspective not knowledgeable about the effects of drugs in an unstable man, who knows what could happen? I should also bring up there is a prescription drug epidemic here in the USA.

I unfortunately witnessed a roid rage attact in the late 80's at a high school party in the foothills west of Frederick, back then those parties were referred to a "woodsies", like one would guess, keg and high schoolers in a park in the woods.... The exception was the kid that committed the rage was the typical stereotype, football player, extremely buff for his lack of height, and terrible acne, none of which he had the year before when he was skinny. From what I've seen CW made changes too though not so drastic, but I cannot help but wonder.

One more thing, I still question if CW looked hung over during the interviews. I go back and forth between the paleness under his eyes from safety goggles from work or his liver working overtime. I've seen that pattern on faces before, usually from snow skiiing (snow goggles) or heavy drinker. I fear the combination of any of the above.
The dude that killed his wife that said he was high on edibles? They did a blood test and he had a tiny amount in his system. Less than the legal limit to drive. And he didn't even eat the entire piece of candy he got. Their marriage was bad, she was going to leave. He killed her because he wanted to, not because he was high on edibles.

If there were killed in the house it seems odd to me that the family was allowed in to remove items from the home. However I guess shows they have gathered what they needed

There's nothing odd about it at all. How long do you think a location remains a crime scene? The family were murdered nearly 8 weeks ago and several large bags of potential evidence were removed the day following SW's murder. No doubt a lot more was removed after that. Once all evidence has been bagged and removed and the usual forensics conducted, it ceases to be a crime scene.

We almost bought a house that seemed too good to be true and it was on the market for years. The real estate agent told us the seller was "really motivated to sell" and any remaining things in the house would be sold along with the house.

It seemed fishy so when we googled the address we found out the husband was in prison for sexually abusing his children in the house!

I didn't think I'd be able to sleep in the house so we passed. I felt bad since the mother divorced the imprisoned father and was trying to recoup whatever she could. But I'm anxious as it is, I thought I'd have nightmares.

I wouldn't want to buy the Watts house either.
I am not sure that that would bother me. I would not blame the house for that and I would find pleasure in making the house a loving and safe home again.

I think his defense absolutely knows. This can be, sadly, a chess game sometimes and it was their best move IMO to get some good coverage for their client.
exactly. It shouldn't be considered a bad move imo by the defense, again, they're just doing their job and want to be noted as doing so.

I think his defense absolutely knows. This can be, sadly, a chess game sometimes and it was their best move IMO to get some good coverage for their client.

I agree that this request was just defense chatter to create doubts in people's minds very early on. They were and are struggling to make something, anything point away from their client. I think it was an excellent move on defense part.

True, but there are chemicals in crude oil that possibly could destroy DNA.

I’m curious, from a forensic and statistical perspective, as related to recovery locations, has a child’s body ever been dumped in a crude oil tank before that has ever been documented? In other words, would this be the first time in history that an actual “crude oil tank” is the official “disposal site” of a (child) murder victim?

I’m curious, form a forensic perspective as related to recovery locations, has a child’s body ever been dumped in a crude oil tank before that has ever been documented? In other words, would this be the first time in history an actual “crude oil tank” is the “disposal site” of a (child) murder victim?
I’ve searched, but haven’t found anything close to this.

"Counsel has contacted the prosecution, advised them of this opinion, and asked whether or not they intend to take a DNA swab of the necks on the remains of the two children. It
does not seem clear that the coroner, pathologist, or anyone working on behalf of the prosecution team in autopsy plan to take swabs of the necks of the two decedent children."

https://www.courts.state.co.us/user... DNA SWAB OF THROATS OF DECEDENT CHILDREN.pdf

I’m curious, form a forensic perspective as related to recovery locations, has a child’s body ever been dumped in a crude oil tank before that has ever been documented? In other words, would this be the first time in history an actual “crude oil tank” is the “disposal site” of a (child) murder victim?
Yes.

I am not sure that that would bother me. I would not blame the house for that and I would find pleasure in making the house a loving and safe home again.
I tend to agree with your personal view myself...but there are also the enormous number of drive by/walk by /looking in the windows crime scene fans that we would have to contend with for years. Yikes!

They're going to need as much help as they can get. The affidavit is the tip of the iceberg. Just a vague outline of events.

I believe LE has a lot of information and evidence not reported in MSM that IMO will come out in trial that won't help his case in the least.

It is my personal opinion that it would be in his best interest to cop a plea, especially if the DP ends up on the table.

The dude that killed his wife that said he was high on edibles? They did a blood test and he had a tiny amount in his system. Less than the legal limit to drive. And he didn't even eat the entire piece of candy he got. Their marriage was bad, she was going to leave. He killed her because he wanted to, not because he was high on edibles.
Seriously? Wow -- I was under the impression he ate a whole box of something! I thought that was what his wife said to 911 operator as he was aiming for her.

"Counsel has contacted the prosecution, advised them of this opinion, and asked whether or not they intend to take a DNA swab of the necks on the remains of the two children. It
does not seem clear that the coroner, pathologist, or anyone working on behalf of the prosecution team in autopsy plan to take swabs of the necks of the two decedent children."

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/19th_Judicial_District/caseofinterest/2018CR2003/001/(20) MOTION TO COMPEL PATHOLOGIST TO TAKE DNA SWAB OF THROATS OF DECEDENT CHILDREN.pdf

"Counsel has a good faith belief that once the autopsies are finished, the remains of the two children—and more importantly, this evidence—will be turned over and lost forever."

Even more interesting is the motion says neck swab is more important than the bodies of the murdered children. I don't think these lawyers are used to their pleadings receiving any public attention because this just reads as callous even if I understand legally what they're saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flimflam