Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #39

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If he saw her "blue" it was not on the monitor, it was up close and personal as he strangled her. If he saw Shanann over CeCe, she was trying to revive her. Two big "If's!" MOO

:) Welcome to Websleuths, Nancy! :)
I completely agree. He said he went downstairs as an alibi; he was distancing himself from the scene of the crime. MOO

Maybe he watched them on the monitors waiting for them to fall asleep.

Or stared at them / watched them dead on the monitors afterwards.

:eek:

I think it's a pretty crafty story he came up with. Can't be easily disproved. It only takes one person on a Jury to think it plausible. We see it here, people determined to explore his version as if it were real, they will bend over backwards to find any possibility that it could have gone down that way.

He says in one of his interviews that the last time he "saw them" was on the baby monitor. But, he admits to loading them in the truck and dumping them in the oil tanks. But, did he "see" them when he loaded them and dumped them? I don't think so. I think he wrapped them in their blankets and/or put them in trash bags. Even a complete idiot is not going to drive 45 minutes with bodies in his truck uncovered. I think you're right - he stared at them on the monitor after he killed them and that is ingrained in his memory. Obviously, he couldn't tell the reporter that the last time he "saw them" was when he was wrapping their bodies, so he uses his recollection just prior.
MOO

Last edited:
Hey all, circling back to the drone topic. I went through some older posts, and found a relevant post from one of our VIs, Colorado303.

BBM

IMO, it would make sense for LE to use their own drones. But I hadn't even considered the possibility that the drones could have been property of Anadarko, and launched by Anadarko to aid LE in the search of the site. Jmo
That does make sense to me, to use Anadarko drones, they would be all programmed, they would presumably have professional operators, the personnel would know how many tank batteries, access, and so forth. Also maybe they had remote docking stations for the drones if they used them frequently.

He may not have looked at the monitor at all. It was the only way in which he could claim he witnessed her killing them while giving himself enough distance not to be able to intervene. They can easily show the jury several images of different skin tones viewed through the type of baby monitor they had. They will be able to decide for themselves whether or not it is possible. In a way it's a good thing he included the baby monitor in his story. It's just one more way to prove he is lying. Jmo

It seems like Chris had to think of a reason that would justify his killing Shanann, so he made up a story so horrible that he may have thought would bring either doubt or even a lesser charge of justifiable homicide. It is like him saying, well, she killed the kids, and then I killed her, so we are even. The only problem is that this theory is so outrageous and also pretty close to one of the dumbest things I ever heard, I wonder how much time he spent on it. I hope not, a lot, because it fails to make much sense. To blame a person, who is no longer able to defend themselves because you killed them, is almost like killing them again. JMO
IIRC the same load of crud was used as an excuse by other family annihilators in the past.

Yes! Attorneys like @gitana1 and @Mrspratcher and @Alethea have really kept me out of the dark with their explanations of some of the legalese. I am grateful.

Yes, and can I crack a respectful lawyer joke here and say that “and theeeeeese lawyers actually have a heart!” :)

(Unlike this defense attorney I was matched up with at a dinner one night. He was talking about a court appearance for a rape case he had in the morning involving a minor, he was saying how “shheeeeeee dressed slutty” and all this other BS and angles/strategies he was planning on pursuing.)

(Et: Sorry for the o/t, I’m a little all over the place today)

He may not have looked at the monitor at all. It was the only way in which he could claim he witnessed her killing them while giving himself enough distance not to be able to intervene. They can easily show the jury several images of different skin tones viewed through the type of baby monitor they had. They will be able to decide for themselves whether or not it is possible. In a way it's a good thing he included the baby monitor in his story. It's just one more way to prove he is lying. Jmo
It would be impossible to recreate what CW saw on the baby monitor because the lighting in the rooms is unknown. That said, my granddaughter's baby monitor has a bluish white tint to it at night and it is right next to a night lite. Based on that, I can't conclude CW was lying about it.

If you think about it though, it really is the best story that he could come up with, based on the facts atleast.

He can’t say he didn’t do anything, because his whole family is dead, and he is the one who disposed of them.
If he claims someone else did it, it’s actually more unbelievable than what he came up with.
His story attempts to mitigate his culpability, and cut his losses.
It will almost certainly fail, but he’s atleast given himself a shot. Albeit a blind one, in the dark.

Do you believe this was premeditated?

It would be impossible to recreate what CW saw on the baby monitor because the lighting in the rooms is unknown. That said, my granddaughter's baby monitor has a bluish white tint to it at night and it is right next to a night lite. Based on that, I can't conclude CW was lying about it.
They will likely try to recreate the scene, with optimal lighting, in an effort to disprove his claim.

If they can’t, it’s no big deal, because CW seeing what he claims to have seen, is a lie regardless.

Just because it may be possible to see something, doesn’t mean that’s what happened.

Obviously, the facts tell us that this is just another one of his many lies.

Yes, and can I crack a respectful lawyer joke here and say that “and theeeeeese lawyers actually have a heart!” :)

(Unlike this defense attorney I was matched up with at a dinner one night. He was talking about a court appearance for a rape case he had in the morning involving a minor, he was saying how “shheeeeeee dressed slutty” and all this other BS and angles/strategies he was planning on pursuing.)

(Et: Sorry for the o/t, I’m a little all over the place today)
Yes, we can see that. But it is a very good example of blaming the victim! So maybe not that far off topic....

I think it's a pretty crafty story he came up with. Can't be easily disproved. It only takes one person on a Jury to think it plausible. We see it here, people determined to explore his version as if it were real, they will bend over backwards to find any possibility that it could have gone down that way.

Respectfully, I see some on WS undecided or on the fence until more information is known. IMO that’s not bending over backwards trying to find possibilities.
jmo

“Chain of custody” isn’t affected by a scenario in which a drone is used.

The drone simply located the scene, and gave LE an opportunity to back CW into a corner.

No evidence was collected by the drone, it simply facilitated the discovery of it.

After CW told LE exactly where the bodies were, LE took control of the scene, and with help from the oil company, drained the tanks and recovered the bodies of the children.

The drone simply provided a possible search location, and was approved or possibly even carried out, by the company.

Agreed. If the drone evidence was going to be introduced at trial, the prosecution would call the drone operator (likely an LE agent) to describe the procedure. The defense may try to question the accuracy of the drone pictures or something like that but it's not something like a constitutional violation where the defense could try to knock the evidence out. LE would just need the permission of Anadarko to search the property, which I'm sure they gave.

I understand what the original poster means though. If you had drone robots flying and picking up evidence, I think you would make sure everything was highly controlled so you knew where they were and what they were doing at all times. If the drone had a claw and it came back with a bloody shirt you'd want to be hecka' sure you didn't just contaminate evidence or be prevented from introducing it because of how it was collected.

If you think about it though, it really is the best story that he could come up with, based on the facts atleast.

He can’t say he didn’t do anything, because his whole family is dead, and he is the one who disposed of them.

If he claims someone else did it, it’s actually more unbelievable than what he came up with.

His story attempts to mitigate his culpability, and cut his losses.

It will almost certainly fail, but he’s atleast given himself a shot. Albeit a blind one, in the dark.
It is a story that appears to be based on facts and that's why I'm willing to consider it as possible. I think the mental health histories of both parents is going to be center stage at the trial.

Christopher Vaughn blamed his wife for the shootings of their children and her suicide. He got away with it for a week or so...until the forensic results came in. The forensics in the Watts case could be inconclusive. JMO

It is a story that appears to be based on facts and that's why I'm willing to consider it as possible. I think the mental health histories of both parents is going to be center stage at the trial.

Christopher Vaughn blamed his wife for the shootings of their children and her suicide. He got away with it for a week or so...until the forensic results came in. The forensics in the Watts case could be inconclusive. JMO
The forensic results could very well prove inconclusive here. It would be nice to have it, but his goose is likely cooked regardless.

CW has no known documented mental health issues. Many of these types of killers do not.

They will likely try to recreate the scene, with optimal lighting, in an effort to disprove his claim.

If they can’t, it’s no big deal, because CW seeing what he claims to have seen, is a lie regardless.

Just because it may be possible to see something, doesn’t mean that’s what happened.

Speaking of recreating the scene I was just going to complete a thought that I was writing about when the thread was suddenly closed, not sure if I followed up, ,maybe I did?

I was wondering if the amazingly talented @grayhuze has been following this case and thinking about what a amazing recreation videos he could make showing both the logistics of the murders within the house (Showing floor plan in 3D) as well as the trip to the oil tanks and movements re: disposal. I can just see a 3D digital CW going up the ladder..

Now what does he have in tow? How close did he park? Was he carrying bodies or bags? He would have had to go back and forth to the car 3 times at least.

Crime Scene Animation by Websleuths Member grayhuze

-I can sooo see him doing a recreation of the oil tanks / check out this amazing video / (there are so many ivjust pulled one for an example)

I wonder if this is something he might be interested in doing? Maybe for the prosecution?

Last edited:

There are going to be members of the jury who are very familiar with baby monitors who won't automatically assume CW is lying. Just calling him a liar isn't going to be a very effective prosecution tactic. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member