Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34, dec.), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
....The lack of emotion shows that whatever the motive was, he had major problems deep inside, and for a pretty long time, to be able to do something like this.

I was watching the plea for his wife when he was in the news asking for her to be returned home. I was uncomfortable with the amount of odd smiles he had during it; which I'm sure you've seen by now. But, starting at about 57 seconds into it. See husband plea for wife's return - CNN Video

It comes naturally to want to dismiss him and his actions as "pure evil" and neatly label him a "monster," then move on to the next thread about a similar family's destruction, but I'm not satisfied with that.

I'm sure there are others who feel the same way, too. I want to KNOW. . . not necessarily "why"-- because there's no answer to that basic question that could ever justify/rationalize his vicious actions.

Maybe it's the "what" that confounds me. There is so much about the human brain/mind that is still undiscovered. Perhaps it will always remain unknowable, but I think that there should be some sort of concerted, publicly-funded effort that draws together professionals from all walks of life (esp. psychiatry/ the law/ religion(?) / school, etc. etc.) to leave no stone un-turned in an effort to "sleuth" what the heck is going on!

That has to be a first step, right? Or am I being naive?
(rant over )

Tons of research on violent offenders, their brains, history, diagnoses and still don't fully understand why or what makes someone commit heinous crimes. The monster or antisocial label comes after the what that you are looking for. The closest we've come, thanks to neuroscience, is knowing that childhood trauma (especially birth-3) changes the structure of the brain. Ongoing trauma exposure without a nurturing, attached caregiver leads to further disruption in brain development. This disruption often affects emotional intelligence, ability to rationalize thoughts and self regulate emotion, impulsivity, etc. The most common type of trauma that is positively correlated with violent offending behavior is exposure to domestic violence. MOO.

Here’s my thing and I’m definitely no expert sleuther so I’m genuinely asking. Was he actually abusive? Has this been confirmed? Sure, they obviously had secrets, but no inkling from any friends or family prior to this? No warning signs? Surely there were, right? Can someone actually just snap in a rage and kill everyone they love? No way right? I’m a social worker so all I think is “mental illness, mental illness, mental illness...” But where were the red flags? Did he grow up with issues in his child hood? Had he been in therapy? Was he medicated? Did his dad get him to confess because he knew this was expected of his son? Why no other incidents until now, or have they just not come out yet? He definitely had the Colorado and Thrive groups fooled. They seem absolutely shocked and have reported him as a sweet guy who always kissed Shanann and loved on his girls. Can’t wrap my head around it.

We don’t know whether he was an abuser. Often abuse is kept a secret. Very often. So we don’t know. I’ve heard no evidence that he was. I just speculate...

Here’s my thing and I’m definitely no expert sleuther so I’m genuinely asking. Was he actually abusive? Has this been confirmed? Sure, they obviously had secrets, but no inkling from any friends or family prior to this? No warning signs? Surely there were, right? Can someone actually just snap in a rage and kill everyone they love? No way right? I’m a social worker so all I think is “mental illness, mental illness, mental illness...” But where were the red flags? Did he grow up with issues in his child hood? Had he been in therapy? Was he medicated? Did his dad get him to confess because he knew this was expected of his son? Why no other incidents until now, or have they just not come out yet? He definitely had the Colorado and Thrive groups fooled. They seem absolutely shocked and have reported him as a sweet guy who always kissed Shanann and loved on his girls. Can’t wrap my head around it.
While I haven't seen any concrete proof, to me there are certain "tells" my strongest one is the fact her friend was so frantic, in the beginning. She knew something. Something to set alarm bells ringing. Having been previously married to one, I went to great lengths to appear constantly happy. Whether to make myself or others believe IDK. To this day after 20 yr apart our old friends still don't believe and think he's a great guy. Sure he is until he can't control you.

Zillow states the nearby houses for sale have a $54/month HOA fee. And yet the HOA was suing the Watts in Weld County civil court. Were they not paying their HOA dues? $54/month is nothing.
So many hidden details with an HOA - could be special assessment, fine, ...

I don't think so. He would have almost had to have confessed. I don't think Shanann's family would get such a detail wrong.

I don't think they would have gone straight to Shanann's body with phone data, it would have required some searching. I just hope he did reveal where the girls were.

I think he's just doing what many before him have done. Changing his tune and going to trial after confessing and revealing the bodies. Crystal McDowell is the recent big one. Not uncommon.

Yeah it takes a long time to get phone data.

Its so strange how he clearly planned it, but did such a terrible job of it. It’s the only reason I tend to believe he just lost his marbles and went down crazy lane as opposed to him being pure evil. He had days (presumably) to plan and all he came up with was hiding them at a place that would obviously be identified early on and searched even if they had believed his cockamamie story? Also, I’d read somewhere his dad flew in and then convinced him to turn himself in. I wonder if dad saw that interview and couldn’t ignore the glaring red flags, or did the have an “emotional conversation” and admit it to daddy?

Why are the defense asking for 48hrs notice before the autopsy? Surely the coroner won't have to wait and can start the autopsies as soon as the bodies are recovered.
Also the defence lawyer says something to the judge like "can we have advance notice of autopsies so the defense can file motions, you can understand why we would want to do that" Makes me wonder what horrors an autopsy will throw up.

It's standard. The motions include things like being able to be present or the preservation of certain evidence. Being able to have their own experts attend.

I see him as wimpy. I’d be surprised if he was abusive. I see Shannan as wearing the pants in the family.
Emotional and mental abuse, and master manipulator can be far worse than anything physical. I don't see domestic violence yet.

Late Edit to restate I don't see prior physical violence yet; and acknowledge emotional, mental, abuse, and murder are domestic violence.

Last edited:
Zillow states the nearby houses for sale have a $54/month HOA fee. And yet the HOA was suing the Watts in Weld County civil court. Were they not paying their HOA dues? $54/month is nothing.

it could be that they didn't, or refused to, change something they wanted changed. friends of mine just sold their condo, their HOA was ordering everyone to fix their balconies different, nice 30k unexpected fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734