Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34, dec.), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And here we come to the part of this story that breaks my heart each and every time we have a family annihilation. And why I have absolutely no interest in even remotely knowing what drives a father (or mother) to do this. There is not one single, sane good reason in this world to justify killing children much less your own sweet little faces. This is the part of the crime investigation that a defense attorney will build a case on, when there IS no defense. The attorney will try to get sympathy for a man who deserves none.
These crimes were the hardest, as this one will be. Last night, I saw it in his eyes, his head shaking NO, his eyelids trying to hide eyes that were rolling. I so hoped he had taken his girls with their blankets somewhere safe, but instead looked those babies in their innocent eyes and made them pay for God only knows what. All I can say is this "father" would not want me in his jury pool as I am not at all neutral. Thank you for letting me rant.

I see him as wimpy. I’d be surprised if he was abusive. I see Shannan as wearing the pants in the family.
Then you would be surprised at what happens behind closed doors. And sometimes in person when they don't realize watchers are around. I am desperately scared for someone in this same position. SHE is articulate, successful and brilliant and HE is a supportive, loving in person . Occasionally the real him emerges and he is a beast. I fear for her but she will not listen.

I was watching the plea for his wife when he was in the news asking for her to be returned home. I was uncomfortable with the amount of odd smiles he had during it; which I'm sure you've seen by now. But, starting at about 57 seconds into it. See husband plea for wife's return - CNN Video

I watched a few times. The 2nd time I closed my eyes for a minute. The next couple of times I kind of tuned out his voice and watched his face. No worry/stress on his face, the smile, and those eyes. shiver

Something interesting from that article:

"Family annihilators," as criminologists call them, are among the least-understood types of killers. Since the perpetrators usually either kill themselves or immediately confess, such cases tend to be solved quickly and disappear from the headlines

Then there are the ones like John List, who just popped into my head today. Luckily, CW didn't think to disappear and SW's friend knew something was up and acted on it immediately.

If she were planning on leaving my bet is the friend's home is where she was going. He caught wind of it before she got home and back to her kids....

This is why her friend was so in tune to the red flags!
I wonder if she had a conversation with her friend and had planned to have a chat with him when she got home and her friend said well call me in the morning and let me know how it went. It just seems there has to be more to it. It is extremely rare for police to pounce on a scene that quickly. Typically, I would imagine them waiting 24 hours or so. Maybe she went for a walk with the girls, or maybe someone came and picked them up to go somewhere unplanned for the day.

They may have moved for a job. Pure speculation but he may have been offered a good oil and gas job.

On the topic of abuse. This baby may have been a form of manipulation. He knew she was unhappy so he pushed for another baby thinking she wouldn't leave if they had one more. Then he snapped when he realized that she was willing to leave while pregnant.

This seemed to happen with Crystal McDowell. She had filed for divorce years before her husband killed her. Then got pregnant and called it off. She finally decides to go years later and he kills her. Thankfully he actually loved his kids enough to not kill them, at least.

This is interesting--it's video of where Amanda talks about Shannann saying the evil possibly had an affair and Shanann saying he has no game. The interesting part is where Amanda says Shanann knows he had no game because she had to do everything at the beginning of the relationship, however in a FB video, Shanann said he did all the pursuing of her

Jaclyn Allen on Twitter

Not a neighbor--close friend Amanda

Those friends, Nicholas and Amanda Thayer, told Denver7 Thursday they were horrified they let him stay in their home and apologized for backing Watts. Thayer said she had been told last week by Shanann that she had concerns of infidelity on Chris’ behalf.

“She said that it came to her mind that possibly he could be cheating but at the same time, she was like, you know, he has no game,” Thayer said.

Chris Watts case: Everything we know so far about the alleged murders of his wife, daughters
and that means what, exactly--that he's awkward, nonsexual? I don't understand.

I wonder if she had a conversation with her friend and had planned to have a chat with him when she got home and her friend said well call me in the morning and let me know how it went. It just seems there has to be more to it. It is extremely rare for police to pounce on a scene that quickly. Typically, I would imagine them waiting 24 hours or so. Maybe she went for a walk with the girls, or maybe someone came and picked them up to go somewhere unplanned for the day.

A pregnant mom and two kids and she was supposed to be at the doctor that day and no one knew where she was or could find her. AND all her stuff including important, life saving medication for her child, was left behind.

I think that's enough for immediate LE action.

Last edited:
That's really just all standard criminal defense stuff. If you're going to be a public defender or criminal defense attorney you better request those things or you're committing malpractice.

But I certainly get why it rankles.

Agree. The only way I can tolerate criminal defense attorneys' cross examination when I'm on the stand is to remind myself that it is their job. They use strategy and tactics that they are ethically expected to use. I just went to training lead by a defense attorney for prosecutors, LE, forensic interviewers and therapists on how not to help the defense. I took more notes than I've ever taken in a training.
Standard motions are used in every case. MOO.

I agree there is more to it. The police respond to a call from a friend (not relative or husband) for a welfare check and accept she is a missing person without the standard wait time. Clearly what they heard and saw convinced LE that there was something wrong. imo

A pregnant mom and two kids and she was supposed to be at the doctor that day and no one knew where she was or could find her. AND all her stuff including important, life saving medication for her child, was left behind.

I think that's enough for immediately action.
Thanks for that. I came in late and haven't digested all of the details. I still feel that her friend was onto things for another reason as well, that her immediate thought was to call the police. I'm really glad she did though. I would hate to have had him been given an opportunity to stage the scene better or clean things up or whatever. I just can't get my mind around how someone can do such a thing. Those precious angels and a boy on the way! Why?

Zillow states the nearby houses for sale have a $54/month HOA fee. And yet the HOA was suing the Watts in Weld County civil court. Were they not paying their HOA dues? $54/month is nothing.

HOAs can have strict rules and will assess fines for violating them. If they painted the front door the wrong color or didn't mow the lawn or weed a flower bed one week, they could be fined for it. It's possible it was for a ridiculous violation and they were standing their ground and refusing to pay.

I agree there is more to it. The police respond to a call from a friend (not relative or husband) for a welfare check and accept she is a missing person without the standard wait time. Clearly what they heard and saw convinced LE that there was something wrong. imo

Exactly and that is my only point. All things being seen as "normal" I can imagine how many of these things can be written off. I am personally a worry wort and it makes people mad. I worry all the time and jump to the worst conclusion possible. I call hospitals, police, etc...when the person I am looking for doesn't answer only to find out later that oops they left their cell at home, or their battery died, or they ended up getting a ride, etc... The meds? I'd think they might write that off to them probably having another dose of it on them or something. I don't know. I just feel her friend knew something more to make her jump to the conclusion so quickly as to call the police immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NNT1