Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bringing over my post from thread #78

CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #78 *ARREST*

The second decision relates to Colorado's unique statute where a Judge is allowed to refuse bail for a defendant accused of murder 1 (capital murder) when "proof is evident or presumption is great."

PEPG is not to be confused with the standard for probable cause!

PEPG standard requires something more than probable cause but less evidence than is required for conviction.

Does Judge Murphy believe the evidence is very strong and the likelihood of conviction is very high? If so, BM will be refused bail.

IMO, the defense did not believe that the state met the standard for BM to be refused bail and therefore wanted him released from jail at the conclusion of the preliminary hearing. They clearly know he's going to trial!

Bail release has been the objective of the defense at every hearing thus far! MOO

(“The mere fact that an information has been filed—or for that matter that the defendant has been bound over for trial—is not equivalent to a determination that the proof of guilt is evident or the presumption is great.”). First degree murder is a capital offense, even in a case where the death penalty is not at issue. See Tribe v. Dist. Court, 197 Colo. 433, 434–35, 593 P.2d 1369, 1370–71 (1979).

https://www.criminal-lawyer-colorad...presumption great,defendant the right to bail.

He was "renting." He was trading his landscaping services for a place to live. That deal ended. He had his stuff in a moving van.

He owns no property in CO and rents no property in CO. I presume, though, that his daughters do - and have offered him a place to stay. I hope he can keep it together while staying with them, I truly do. Perhaps it'll be just one of them (I predict it will be MM1).
What about the parcel north of Salida, "for his mom" or some such? No home there but a mobile could be... or did he sell that?

He was "renting." He was trading his landscaping services for a place to live. That deal ended. He had his stuff in a moving van.

He owns no property in CO and rents no property in CO. I presume, though, that his daughters do - and have offered him a place to stay. I hope he can keep it together while staying with them, I truly do. Perhaps it'll be just one of them (I predict it will be MM1).
Hmmm, interesting. Living on a shoe string? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734