Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #87

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My real question is, what was he doing in the truck between 03:48 when he gets in and 04:32 when he puts his phone into airplane mode?

OK - i think i see where you are going with this, and it potentially disastrous for the defence!

I think BM was messing around with SMs phone (deleting messages?) and maybe then staging it. There is no other reasonable explanation.

Recapping key times to avoid need to cross reference.

03:48 - gets into Truck. Door does not open until he is in Broomfield - so it is a reasonable inference that he is in the truck for the next 4 hrs and 22 mins

03:58 - the truck is moving west - in the direction the bike/helmet was found

04:10 - 04:23 - last activity on SM phone

04:32 - BM phone into airplane mode

05:14 & 05:16 - BM truck on traffic cams heading to Broomfield

It is surely too much of a coincidence that the last activity on SM's phone is just 9 mins before BMs phone also goes dark. Are we expected to believe that having no real signs of digital life since sunbathing on Saturday, suddenly there she is at 04:23 am turning her phone off - only never to turn it back on again despite BM being away? No check for messages from her AP? Not credible.

As BM does not get out of his truck until 8.10am the only rational explanation is that he had SM's phone in the truck with him. He has to be the person who turns it off.

We know he parked up (he tells us this).

So my guess is he may have been deleting messages or conducting one last sweep of the phone (this could be why it shows activity 04:10 - 04:23 but we have to wait for the evidence). My guess is at 04:23 he turned the phone off and threw it out the window (or binned it in broomfield).

Until 04:32 he may be cleaning some of her messages off his phone??

I wonder if he then realised he blundered having his phone on out there - hence going to airplane, because there is no reason for him to have his phone in airplane mode on the drive ....

This sinks the defence IMO.

Do we know if Suzanne’s phone was ever put if airplane mode or was this just a Barry thing?

One of the problems (as with many of these cases) is we don't have access to the exhibits or even the slimmed down prelim testimony, to dig into detail.

So for example, we have 04:10 - 04:23 as last activity from SM's phone but we don't know what that was.

If her phone was powered off, I'd expect it to "shake hands" with the network to say goodbye. I suspect that airplane mode might not look different from the network's viewpoint.

With BM's phone, LE had access to the phone so can see when airplane mode was entered. As SM's phone has never been recovered, I suspect all LE have in any data backed up to the cloud, plus the network logs. Thus they probably can't tell if airplane mode was entered.

This might also be why we have little location data for SMs phone, beyond basic tower Azimuth/distance.

Something I am wondering about is if BM had SM's phone with him when he sets out at 03:58 - why does his location data update, but her tower data doesn't specifically place her away from PP?

Is this because BM's location is given away by passive GPS data logged on his phone rather than by the cellular network? Then on SM we don't have this data as phone has not been recovered.

OK - i think i see where you are going with this, and it potentially disastrous for the defence!

I think BM was messing around with SMs phone (deleting messages?) and maybe then staging it. There is no other reasonable explanation.

Recapping key times to avoid need to cross reference.

03:48 - gets into Truck. Door does not open until he is in Broomfield - so it is a reasonable inference that he is in the truck for the next 4 hrs and 22 mins

03:58 - the truck is moving west - in the direction the bike/helmet was found

04:10 - 04:23 - last activity on SM phone

04:32 - BM phone into airplane mode

05:14 & 05:16 - BM truck on traffic cams heading to Broomfield

It is surely too much of a coincidence that the last activity on SM's phone is just 9 mins before BMs phone also goes dark. Are we expected to believe that having no real signs of digital life since sunbathing on Saturday, suddenly there she is at 04:23 am turning her phone off - only never to turn it back on again despite BM being away? No check for messages from her AP? Not credible.

As BM does not get out of his truck until 8.10am the only rational explanation is that he had SM's phone in the truck with him. He has to be the person who turns it off.

We know he parked up (he tells us this).

So my guess is he may have been deleting messages or conducting one last sweep of the phone (this could be why it shows activity 04:10 - 04:23 but we have to wait for the evidence). My guess is at 04:23 he turned the phone off and threw it out the window (or binned it in broomfield).

Until 04:32 he may be cleaning some of her messages off his phone??

I wonder if he then realised he blundered having his phone on out there - hence going to airplane, because there is no reason for him to have his phone in airplane mode on the drive ....

This sinks the defence IMO.

There it is.

He spent that time with Suzanne's phone.

And since we know his car door didn't open again for hours, I think we can conclude he disposed of her phone in the same manner as her helmet (granting that the helmet my have been staged twice), meaning he chose a location and threw it out the window. Into water, is my guess.

By noon, he'd divested himself of his wife, her bike, her helmet, her phone her journal, and whatever else he donated to the dumpsters.

A couple decades of marriage, disposed of in 24 hours.

It (she, the marriage) no longer served him (arguably was no longer willing to continue trying to serve him) so IMO it was no longer of use to him except that, as worded so painfully and eloquently above in this thread, he had to win. And for him to win, she had to lose everything.

He set out to make that happen... when he loaded the dart.

From dart to dumpster....

Go back and listen to his 26 second appeal.

It's there.

The contempt. The disdain.

She thought they could separate civilly.

He brought a dart gun to her conversation.

JMO

^^ rsbm

The real estate OP describes as 26040 Cal Carson Rd, Arcadia, IN -- AKA the Morphew IN residence, was not purchased in 2003 as an existing "private, gated home on 10 acres."

The Morphews purchased the property to build the gated estate in December 1999, (and the August 2003 acquisition was for tract 2 that was used for tree farming).

Prior to breaking ground for the stately home, BM's first order of business was to apply for a land-use variance with Cicero Board of Zoning Appeals on June 1, approved on about June 22, 2000, providing for the construction of a pole barn, constructed pursuant to the variance, which provided for storing material and equipment used in the construction of the residence that became the stately property depicted below.

Morphews sold this home in 2019 on an installment contract that was satisfied in June 2020 -- less than a month after SM went missing. (Aso, tract 2, acquired in August 2003, was sold March 2019 to Becks Superior Hybirds, Inc).

Doxpop
Developing And Growing The Best Performing Seeds | Beck's Hybrids

26040 Cal Carson Road, Arcadia, IN 46030 - MLS #21598807
Real estate info says the home was built in 2004 which fits the timeline. The video appears to be the home unstaged but some of the listings still viewable are staged...although the antlers in the images with belongings probably ultimately went to Colorado. The huge rack over the bathtub made me chuckle. It's a huge home..almost double what they purchased in Colorado in square feet. My husband would covet the pole barn. I was floored when I learned how much money growers can earn regardless if it's trees, or shrubs or flowering plants...my middle son is in the biz in the midwest. Pine tree farming like Christmas trees can generate around $15,000 per acre in profit and has relatively low overhead. Since it's the Christmas season and both Barry and Suzanne's father were in the business here's something for reading entertainment, it's an old article and prices have gone up of course. https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/1775-christmas-tree-farming-big-small-business.html

There it is.

He spent that time with Suzanne's phone.

And since we know his car door didn't open again for hours, I think we can conclude he disposed of her phone in the same manner as her helmet (granting that the helmet my have been staged twice), meaning he chose a location and threw it out the window. Into water, is my guess.

By noon, he'd divested himself of his wife, her bike, her helmet, her phone her journal, and whatever else he donated to the dumpsters.

A couple decades of marriage, disposed of in 24 hours.

It (she, the marriage) no longer served him (arguably was no longer willing to continue trying to serve him) so IMO it was no longer of use to him except that, as worded so painfully and eloquently above in this thread, he had to win. And for him to win, she had to lose everything.

He set out to make that happen... when he loaded the dart.

From dart to dumpster....

Go back and listen to his 26 second appeal.

It's there.

The contempt. The disdain.

She thought they could separate civilly.

He brought a dart gun to her conversation.

JMO
I think if you believe the dart theory your timeline works and I understand you are convinced of the dart theory. I'm not yet convinced of the dart theory and I am fascinated by the opening and closing of truck door(s)....someone could have driven up that driveway and gotten in and out of that truck for "conversation" not wanting to be heard inside the house. I'm not totally convinced yet beyond reasonable doubt that Barry did it and/or Barry did it alone. The airplane mode...I would like to know if he routinely does that to conserve battery or because he doesn't know how to silence notifications or ring tones and just finds it easier to put into airplane mode. In other words is that a habit or specific to this weekend. I think there are still missing pieces that should get tied up at trial theoretically.

^^ rsbm

The real estate OP describes as 26040 Cal Carson Rd, Arcadia, IN -- AKA the Morphew IN residence, was not purchased in 2003 as an existing "private, gated home on 10 acres."

The Morphews purchased the property to build the gated estate in December 1999, (and the August 2003 acquisition was for tract 2 that was used for tree farming).

Prior to breaking ground for the stately home, BM's first order of business was to apply for a land-use variance with Cicero Board of Zoning Appeals on June 1, approved on about June 22, 2000, providing for the construction of a pole barn, constructed pursuant to the variance, which provided for storing material and equipment used in the construction of the residence that became the stately property depicted below.

Morphews sold this home in 2019 on an installment contract that was satisfied in June 2020 -- less than a month after SM went missing. (Aso, tract 2, acquired in August 2003, was sold March 2019 to Becks Superior Hybirds, Inc).

Doxpop

The Indiana home is beautiful and they left it for that ugly monstrosity in CO? JMO. But I’m guessing Barry was leaving because of failed business ventures. I feel bad for Suzanne and MM2.

12/14/2021

SALIDA — The high-profile case of Barry Morphew, a man accused of first-degree murder and other crimes related to his wife Suzanne’s disappearance, continues today.

The discovery and sanctions hearings are taking place at the 11th District Court at 142 Crestone Ave. in Salida.

Today’s hearings will be presided over by District Judge Patrick Murphy. The last hearing for this case was on Nov. 9 when the defense made claims of “discovery violations” against the prosecution.

Discovery violations occur when the prosecution has failed to give police reports, whether they’re good or bad for the defense, to the defense. I gathered more insight from a local attorney on what keeping key evidence could mean for this case.

“The prosecution has an obligation under the law to give all the reports and all the information that law enforcement has in their possession to the defense. And if they don’t do that, they’re in violation of discovery laws,” said Attorney Jeremy Loew.

The prosecution is going to be different today without former lead prosecutor Jeff Lindsey.

Lindsey left the jurisdiction, which took him off the case.

“That’s really going to impact the ability to continue with the prosecution of this case because he has so much experience in prosecuting homicides. So, without him, they’ve lost just an invaluable experience on prosecution,” said Loew.

Today’s discovery and sanctions are set to start at 1 p.m. in Salida. If the case goes to trial, the trial is scheduled for May 2022.

Discovery and Sanctions hearings set to continue today in Barry Morphew murder case

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

I think if you believe the dart theory your timeline works and I understand you are convinced of the dart theory. I'm not yet convinced of the dart theory and I am fascinated by the opening and closing of truck door(s)....someone could have driven up that driveway and gotten in and out of that truck for "conversation" not wanting to be heard inside the house. I'm not totally convinced yet beyond reasonable doubt that Barry did it and/or Barry did it alone. The airplane mode...I would like to know if he routinely does that to conserve battery or because he doesn't know how to silence notifications or ring tones and just finds it easier to put into airplane mode. In other words is that a habit or specific to this weekend. I think there are still missing pieces that should get tied up at trial theoretically.

I'm not tied to the dart theory so much as BM seems to be tied to it. By his own admissions, he had the materials, though no reason to still have them, he admits to racing around the house with a loaded and firing .22 and a syringe cap was found amid household wash, dated to that very day.

While I can't say for certain he was able to make the shot, I think it reaches beyond a reasonable doubt that he prepared a dart that very day and intended to use it.

Worse for the defense, he directed his tranq materials the very next day.

Ouch.

JMO

The Indiana home is beautiful and they left it for that ugly monstrosity in CO? JMO. But I’m guessing Barry was leaving because of failed business ventures. I feel bad for Suzanne and MM2.
Which business failed? I've been trying to piece together in my mind their income sources and I had the deer farm, rental properties and the land that he had planted trees and his commercial landscape business...what am I missing? It seemed to me that it was a joint decision to move to Colorado, perhaps to downsize the square footage and simply their lives and their was always that rumor that Suzanne thought Barry was cheating on her in Indiana so I thought it was a joint decision, but I didn't know he had a business that failed that might have been a consideration.

12/14/2021
https://www.koaa.com/news/covering-...ions-hearings-set-to-continue-today?_amp=true

SALIDA — The high-profile case of Barry Morphew, a man accused of first-degree murder and other crimes related to his wife Suzanne’s disappearance, continues today.

The discovery and sanctions hearings are taking place at the 11th District Court at 142 Crestone Ave. in Salida.

Today’s hearings will be presided over by District Judge Patrick Murphy. The last hearing for this case was on Nov. 9 when the defense made claims of “discovery violations” against the prosecution.

Discovery violations occur when the prosecution has failed to give police reports, whether they’re good or bad for the defense, to the defense. I gathered more insight from a local attorney on what keeping key evidence could mean for this case.

“The prosecution has an obligation under the law to give all the reports and all the information that law enforcement has in their possession to the defense. And if they don’t do that, they’re in violation of discovery laws,” said Attorney Jeremy Loew.

The prosecution is going to be different today without former lead prosecutor Jeff Lindsey.

Lindsey left the jurisdiction, which took him off the case.

“That’s really going to impact the ability to continue with the prosecution of this case because he has so much experience in prosecuting homicides. So, without him, they’ve lost just an invaluable experience on prosecution,” said Loew.

Today’s discovery and sanctions are set to start at 1 p.m. in Salida. If the case goes to trial, the trial is scheduled for May 2022.

Discovery and Sanctions hearings set to continue today in Barry Morphew murder case

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne
JL on the stand today no doubt...should be interesting.

I'm not tied to the dart theory so much as BM seems to be tied to it. By his own admissions, he had the materials, though no reason to still have them, he admits to racing around the house with a loaded and firing .22 and a syringe cap was found amid household wash, dated to that very day.

While I can't say for certain he was able to make the shot, I think it reaches beyond a reasonable doubt that he prepared a dart that very day and intended to use it.

Worse for the defense, he directed his tranq materials the very next day.

Ouch.

JMO
And not forgetting his charming explanation - poor deer, I still cant get beyond the cruelty of doing something as awful as that just for a trophy. Adds to the picture of the man who will stand before the jury.

JMO

My goodness! What an excellent summary you have put together! Very helpful in following up-to-the-minute foot tracks, tire tracks, cell tracks, trash tracks, bike tracks, helmet tracks, property tracks, tool tracks, scratch tracks, dart tracks, and inheritance tracks. Appears to me all these tracks lead right back to only one possible perpetrator’s tracks.

It’s sad to me that two months after she vanished he threw Suzanne’s sunglasses in with the truck sale. Wonder how many mementos he kept?

You have done a ton of work on this case. Thank you. I wonder if this summary could be included on the first page of each thread for quick reference? It’s excellent.

Agree that this summary is both brilliant and valuable even to the old-timers on this case -- would be great if it were stickie'd.

^^ rsbm

Doxpop

I gave up digging through Indiana records. The 2003 date was all I could find. Fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mary0309