Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #87

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to thank you for the detail and quality of this timeline. It's fantastic! It is clear that this took a lot of thought and time on your part, and I, for one, really appreciate it. I'd like to see it pinned at the start of subsequent threads, as others have suggested. Not sure how to make that happen?

Issues that I think it may have:
I do not believe that the battery on Barry's truck was disconnected or removed. LE just called it a POWER REMOVAL event. I rewatched some of reporter LS videos she put out on YT right after attending each day of the preliminary hearings. When talking about the POWER REMOVAL event, she said it had to do with something that happened under the dashboard. So it sounds to me that he was messing with something under his dashboard and that caused the power removal event. I don't think that LE ever mentioned the battery. Does anyone have a source for the battery being removed?

Also, Grusing told Barry that he left his driver door open in the garage before he went to the first patio. This would seem to indicate that he drove into the garage when he got home, and did not wait until 2 hours later. It is confusing, as they do not start attachment 6 'porch hopping' as starting in the garage. They just start at the first porch. But if Grusing is to be believed (on page 71 of AA), BM's truck was already in the garage before he went to the first porch. Is there something that contradicts his statement, that I missed? Please let me know. There are definitely some things in the AA that seem to contradict other things in there.

on page 71/129:
SA Grusing told Barry that activity would explain his phone's behavior, adding that he left his driver door
open in the garage before he went to the first patio
. Barry said, "Mhhmhh,"
Agree, I think there is confusing info. Also none of it precludes someone else pulling into the driveway or hopping into the truck for a private conversation.

If SD is upset about the search and seizures, her issue shouldn't be with LE; it should be with BM.

I don't get it.

Are there just no boyfriends available who aren't accused of MURDER????

Just what is his appeal?

Must be his Google search proved instructive.

Oh, that's right. They're just friends. Who help each other.

Sure.

It's okay with me if LE keeps digging--

JMO

Last edited:
Agree, I think there is confusing info. Also none of it precludes someone else pulling into the driveway or hopping into the truck for a private conversation.
Did BM tell investigators that's what happened? If not, does he plan to testify to this. We can indulge in this kind of speculation on WS but the jury can't. They must make their findings based on evidence, and reasonable inferences from evidence.

Date Len Appearance Name Hearing Type Case # Location Division
1/11/22
4:00 PM 1Hr VIRTUAL MORPHEW, BARRY Hearing D82021CR78 Chaffee County Division 2

1/11/22
4:30 PM 1Hr VIRTUAL MORPHEW, BARRY Status Conference D82021CR85 Chaffee County Division 2

1/24/22
8:00 AM 1Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Motions Hearing D82021CR78 Chaffee County Division 2

1/25/22
8:00 AM 1Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Motions Hearing D82021CR78 Chaffee County Division 2

2/1/22
9:30 AM 1Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Motions Hearing D82021CR78 Chaffee County Division 2

4/7/22
8:00 AM 1Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Hearing D82021CR78 Chaffee County Division 2

4/8/22
8:00 AM 1Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Pre-Trial Conference D82021CR78 Chaffee County Division 2

5/3/22
8:00 AM 1D IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Jury Trial D82021CR78 Chaffee County Division 2

thru

6/1/22
8:00 AM 1Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Jury Trial D82021CR78 Chaffee County Division 2

link: Colorado Judicial Branch - Court Docket Search

I listened to the hearing where the former neighbor accused SD of stalking/harassment and wanted a protection order but the neighbor was not successful in her quest as the court ruled she'd not met the burden of proof. I'm not aware of any other charges against SD.

Thanks, @Seattle1 & thanks for the links, @sk716.

So the woman who unsuccessfully sought a restraining order said SD was yelling that the complainant was BM's enemy during one occasion.

I'd like to thank you for the detail and quality of this timeline. It's fantastic! It is clear that this took a lot of thought and time on your part, and I, for one, really appreciate it. I'd like to see it pinned at the start of subsequent threads, as others have suggested. Not sure how to make that happen?

I do not believe that the battery on Barry's truck was disconnected or removed. LE just called it a POWER REMOVAL event. I rewatched some of reporter LS videos she put out on YT right after attending each day of the preliminary hearings. When talking about the POWER REMOVAL event, she said it had to do with something that happened under the dashboard. So it sounds to me that he was messing with something under his dashboard and that caused the power removal event. I don't think that LE ever mentioned the battery. Doez anyone have a source for the battery being removed?

Also, Grusing told Barry that he left his driver door open in the garage before he went to the first patio. This would seem to indicate that he drove into the garage when he got home, and did not wait until 2 hours later. It is confusing, as they do not start attachment 6 'porch hopping' as starting in the garage. They just start at the first porch. But if Grusing is to be believed (on page 71 of AA), BM's truck was already in the garage before he went to the first porch. Is there something that contradicts his statement, that I missed? Please let me know. There are definitely some things in the AA that seem to contradict other things in there.

on page 71/129:
SA Grusing told Barry that activity would explain his phone's behavior, adding that he left his driver door
. Barry said, "Mhhmhh,"

Bbm

Not necessarily original to me, I speculated that removing the battery might've caused the reset.

Just a theory.

I wonder what would be in the dash ... fuses?

It's peculiar for sure.

JMO

Thanks, @Seattle1 & thanks for the links, @sk716.

So the woman who unsuccessfully sought a restraining order said SD was yelling that the complainant was BM's enemy during one occasion.
That would give me pause if I were a judge. Sounds like the original complainant had ulterior motives. Regardless it's not relevant anymore other than as a fact of the entire investigation now that the trespass misdemeanor exposed all the details. I'm thinking chess and strategy is not the prosecutor's strongest suit. Bravado she's got absolutely.

I agree that she was more likely involved after the murder. She’s lawyered-up and probably not cooperating with the State, so maybe we’ll see charges down the road?

It’s gonna cost him plenty, paying for two defense teams, plus whatever other monetary considerations she might demand in exchange for keeping quiet.

It must be killing him. Kiss that money goodbye, Barry!

Karma bus delayed due to "high demand." No worries. It's coming! ;) MOO

I do not believe that the battery on Barry's truck was disconnected or removed. LE just called it a POWER REMOVAL event. I rewatched some of reporter LS videos she put out on YT right after attending each day of the preliminary hearings. When talking about the POWER REMOVAL event, she said it had to do with something that happened under the dashboard. So it sounds to me that he was messing with something under his dashboard and that caused the power removal event. I don't think that LE ever mentioned the battery. Does anyone have a source for the battery being removed?

on page 71/129:
. Barry said, "Mhhmhh,"

@OldCop and @oviedo laid the groundwork. I've just done a lot of copy and pasting.

On the power removal event, I'm not sure where "battery" came from. I haven't finished going through all of the PH tweets, though.

We've got the GPS for Barry's truck. He did not drive directly into the garage. The timeline is accurate.

ETA: there are conflicts and inconsistencies in the AA. Like MGs dates among other things. I used dates and times from the most detailed lines of the AA.

Last edited:
Bbm

Not necessarily original to me, I speculated that removing the battery might've caused the reset.

Just a theory.

I wonder what would be in the dash ... fuses?

It's peculiar for sure.

JMO
Yes, fuses under dash on passenger door side, in the footwell area. Conveniently, the SYNC, and GPS use the same fuse. Not sure which fuse would need to be pulled for a POWER REMOVAL event though... (if this is what happened, that is...)

Yes, fuses under dash on passenger door side, in the footwell area. Conveniently, the SYNC, and GPS use the same fuse. Not sure which fuse would need to be pulled for a POWER REMOVAL event though... (if this is what happened, that is...)

I wonder if he thought he could pull the fuse for the SYNC and that would keep the GPS from logging.

Last edited:
After reading the rule, I think that will be the outcome regardless of the timeliness issue.

Does anyone see another capital case - qualified judge in the 11th Judicial District? Will Judge M ask the Chief Justice to appoint one for this case?

Yes, Rule 21 provides for substitution of the Judge as follows:

Colo. R. Crim. P. 21
(3) Upon the filing of a motion under this section (b), all other proceedings in the case shall be suspended until a ruling is made thereon. If the motion and supporting affidavits state facts showing grounds for disqualification, the judge shall immediately enter an order disqualifying himself or herself. Upon disqualifying himself or herself, the judge shall notify forthwith the chief judge of the district, who shall assign another judge in the district to hear the action. If no other judge in the district is available or qualified, the chief judge shall notify forthwith the state court administrator, who shall obtain from the Chief Justice the assignment of a replacement judge.

Rule 21 - Change of Venue or Judge, Colo. R. Crim. P. 21 | Casetext Search + Citator

@OldCop and @oviedo laid the groundwork. I've just done a lot of copy and pasting.

On the power removal event, I'm not sure where "battery" came from. I haven't finished going through all of the PH tweets, though.

We've got the GPS for Barry's truck. He did not drive directly into the garage. The timeline is accurate.

ETA: there are conflicts and inconsistencies in the AA. Like MGs dates among other things. I used dates and times from the most detailed lines of the AA.
I see GPS coordinates for Barry's truck at 4:44 PM in the telematic data in the AA, but I don't see coordinates for when he arrived home. Can someone please point them out to me? Or is this based on a PH tweet?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members