Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #90

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LS notes from yesterday when former ADA Lindsey was on the stand talking about the Ritters.

45:13

Those texts with emojis that Martin Ritter supposedly sent Barry could have been way before any of this happened…not clarified. If they were fearful of him after the no contact order, this was most likely the case. Another twist & turn from defense?

Just after in that video, about people seeing the letters BM…have to say, I’ve done the same :rolleyes:

Prosecution needs more than what they have, IMO. They need some solid EVIDENCE. Take the trash dumps, for example. What is illegal about dumping trash? So what if he dumped more than once, in different dumpsters? Do they know what he dumped? Bloody clothing from the crime scene for example? The answer is no.

I assume the police went over the house with Luminol (which reveals bloodstains which have been scrubbed.) I don't believe they found anything.

All BM has to do is not take the stand, and keep his mouth shut from now on. There is no way he can be convicted with the evidence they have. Frankly I am very surprised the district attorney is going to trial with this paltry amount of evidence. The most they have is a tranquilizer dart cover found in the dryer, that has the victims DNA on it. Useless. And a loose .22 round on the floor. So what? Unless there is something major I am not aware of, there is no way a responsible jury will convict, IMO.
The previous DA did decline to take the case to trial.
Stanley at least partly ran on that fact, saying she was tougher.
I was glad to see she was gling to brong the case, but so far the prosecution looks unprepared, the AA was bloated in the opinion of two judges, the prosecution was admonished during the PH about not handing over discovery in a usable format and now this, the DA herself being in violation of a gag order.

The previous DA did decline to take the case to trial.
Stanley at least partly ran on that fact, saying she was tougher.
I was glad to see she was gling to brong the case, but so far the prosecution looks unprepared, the AA was bloated in the opinion of two judges, the prosecution was admonished during the PH about not handing over discovery in a usable format and now this, the DA herself being in violation of a gag order.
The previous DA was never presented with a case to take to trial.

The FBI investigation ended a couple months after Stanley took office, and the case was then presented to her.

I don't hope they "bleed him dry". I hope he's transferred money to the daughters. I have no animosity toward them and I would guess he has "invested" in something that is not in his name solely and attachable. No matter what happens $500,000 should come back to him or his daughters unless he breaks bond which many of us think would never happen.
I don't have animosity towards the daughters, but the man who I fully believe murdered her should not be able to use her inheritance towards his high-priced defense. IMO

I don't have animosity towards the daughters, but the man who I fully believe murdered her should not be able to use her inheritance towards his high-priced defense. IMO

The fact he was granted guardianship sickens me still.

Moo

In fact, plenty of things sicken me, but the one that truly revolts me is seeing his smug chops beaming from ear to ear as he enters a courthouse when he is awaiting trial after being charged with the murder of his wife.

MOO

Really?? Where can we find that???
It was during E & N's first appearance for BM, and since media and public seats were limited in the courtroom due to COVID, the court allowed the public to access the hearing on WebEx. From memory, I recall attorney IE was arguing discovery violation alleging the prosecution missed a discovery deadline but she was wrong since she incorrectly began counting 21 days from BM's advisement on May 6 and not his first appearance after his charges were filed. Sorry, there's no recording of the hearing.

CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #60 *ARREST*

Last edited:
Link to DNA findings on bed sheets in dryer, on bike and on helmet. This was not put in the AA. Barry Morphew plans lawsuit against DA, investigators over alleged DNA evidence pointing to sex offender
This all came up during the preliminary hearing, and it's not as if this information was withheld, or would somehow exonerate Barry.

The DNA that was discussed in the affidavit was pertinent to the prosecution theory, and if Barry was a contributor or not a contributor on relevant pieces of evidence.
38488410-E954-4931-9515-04D7205C9595.jpeg 21D81F5C-B384-479A-92A8-6B61371DEA4E.jpeg

This all came up during the preliminary hearing, and it's not as if this information was withheld, or would somehow exonerate Barry.

The DNA that was discussed in the affidavit was pertinent to the prosecution theory, and if Barry was a contributor or not a contributor on relevant pieces of evidence.
View attachment 331320 View attachment 331321
I'm sure it will be looked into.

LS notes from yesterday when former ADA Lindsey was on the stand talking about the Ritters.

45:13

Listen to this carefully, and you will understand that it is the defense, not the prosecution, that is unprepared. IE took the extraordinary step of subpoenaing opposing counsel, who has had a different full time job since he went to work for the 10th JD, and who understandably has not paid attention to this case since. With no evidence at all, IE attempted unsuccessfully to insinuate through her questions that he had massively violated all ethical and professional principles by concealing exculpatory evidence. Her questions wandered all over the place (see fishing expedition) to the extent that the judge had to remind her to get to the point. If she had actual evidence, she would have been prepared to refresh Lindsey's recollection by putting a relevant exhibit under his nose and asking him if his memory is restored. She didn't have any killer cross examination documents to prove misconduct on Lindsey's part. It was an extraordinarily sleazy tactic that wasted everyone's time. But the chaos that resulted from her lack of preparation apparently convinced some naive people that the prosecution was not prepared. Wrong. They said all they could say: we gave them every discoverable document.

There was one issue that was debated and decided. The defense wanted drafts of the AA, and the DA argued they were privileged work product. The judge ordered that these be turned over, but this issue anything but evidence the prosecution was unprepared or engaged in misconduct. I don't know where these perceptions come from. They're wrong.

Could BM have made it any more awkward for his daughters to visit but to move in a place that's a stone's throw from their former home? I think this motion was long in the works but needed a new judge to present the idea. May can't come soon enough to get this man off the streets permanently. MOO

Bingo!!!! All their moves and shenanigans have ulterior motives.

Do we know what type of dna was recovered for testing (blood, skin cells, semen, saliva, fingerprint…) in any of the locations mentioned?
I’m not sure if we know, but I remember on day 1 of the Preliminary the Defense went over and over how not one drop of blood was ever found ( their point being that no proof of a homicide).
JMO

LS indicated that a lawyer named Hoskins was present for these hearings. I suspect is it Hollynd Hoskins, another former PD who has tried many civil and criminal cases and who consults on other lawyers' cases. In my experience, bringing in reinforcements is a sign that the defense lacks confidence that BM will be exonerated. JMO, of course.

Popping in long enough to say yesterday was a bad mental health day and I wasn't in any mood for legal shenanigans. Probably not going to be around today either.

So to answer any questions that may come up:

Full Timeline – Find Suzanne Morphew

Barry Morphew Redacted Arrest Affidavit – Find Suzanne Morphew - Non threatening edition. I'm hoping some cross on the earlier drafts can clear up some of the date inconsistencies.

Somebody else might have a better collection. For day 3 & 4 all I copied were Lauren Scharf's Tweets because on day 1 & 2 she had consistently been the most prolific News -Tweeter.
Preliminary Hearing Tweets – Find Suzanne Morphew

The Google Earth Case Map

Thank you so much for doing this @sk716! Please take good care of yourself and let us/me know if you need anything. We are here for you!

Oh MassGuy, I didn’t expect you to say “much more difficult”. I mean, you are the “go to guy” when the rest of us get down.

I think BM’s lies and the data will convict him. We just need to see the DA’s office be prepared for at LEAST ONE full day.

Is that too much to ask of Ms Stanley?

Yup, exactly what i told @MassGuy earlier today. Could we please change "much more difficult" to "slightly more difficult" or something like that? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot