Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #91

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
60 mile change of venue? Is that a big deal?
It would be a different jury pool and the judge said it was one of several available remedies so we'll see. The motion also gave us a glimpse into more of the types of things that won't be admitted...I think some of what Ramsey quoted was redacted from the released affidavit.

Martin Ritter wasn’t the only one! :D
I guess I don't understand. I thought the purpose of the AA was to provide enough evidence to convince a judge that a suspect is likely guilty of the offense. Why is it a problem that a witness was also convinced of this after reading it? (And Ritter also said it was Barry's lack of emotion and rote speech he gave before the searches.) After reading the AA, a lot of people were convinced... Should the AA have been less convincing?

Something else that just crossed my mind: the removal of the car battery. Is there any reason he may have been using battery acid?
In one of reporter LS recap after attending the PH, she said that the reset was caused by something that occurred "under the dash". The fuses are under the dash on the passenger side.

My biggest hang up by far in this case is the daughters. What do they ACTUALLY think happened to their mother. Come on!! So bizarre. JMO

I don't want to run amok of the rules but I will just say that in cases of a narcissistic parent, there is always one child who is the "favorite" of the narc parent. If that child were the oldest of two, I could see the non-favored child feeling like they couldn't go against the other two. Especially when all living extended family is halfway across the country. I think BM, like all narc parents, worked very hard to poison the girls against SM and evidence of her affair when she had accused him could have caused a lot of confusion in their young minds. Poor kids.

Judge grants change of venue request in Barry Morphew murder trial | FOX21 News Colorado

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. — Accused murderer Barry Morphew and his defense team have been granted a change of venue request. The trial will now be heard in Fremont County, instead of Chaffee County, where the alleged crime occurred.

The defense teams filed that motion because, they said, too many people in Salida and Chaffee County are familiar with the case. They say that will make it difficult to find an impartial jury.

Barry Morphew change of venue: Murder trial moved to Cañon City

“This is a high profile case in a relatively small county with a small jury pool,” Chaffee County District Court Judge Ramsey Lama wrote in an order Monday night. “The media saturation is high… the pretrial publicity in this case has been so massive, pervasive and prejudicial that the defendant will not receive a fair trial in Chaffee County.”

Suzanne Morphew’s disappearance captivated Salida and the community from the beginning. Both residents and authorities conducted extensive searches for her several times throughout the year she was missing. Some potential jurors in the community seem to have already made up their minds about Morphew’s guilt or innocence, Lama wrote in the order.

One friend and neighbor of Barry Morphew told the judge that he “initially supported Mr. Morphew but came to believe he was guilty after reading the arrest affidavit,” Lama wrote in the order, finding that his attitude was reflected in others across the county of about 16,500 residents.

After a motions hearing in Chaffee County District Court in Salida on Tuesday, future court proceedings will be held at the Fremont County courthouse in Cañon City, about 60 miles away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
everyoneblooms