Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #91

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I view any videos from the finding of the bike, I’m going to keep in mind that reporters who saw it at the Preliminary hearing described it as quite emotional. The deputies body worn cameras show the scene and also voices can be heard calling out Suzanne’s name.

jmo

Barry Morphew case moved to Fremont County

Barry Morphew’s murder trial will be held in a new location.

In an order signed Monday afternoon, 11th Judicial District Judge Ramsey Lama ordered the trial be moved from Salida to Cañon City.

In the order, Lama wrote that in a town where there are a little more than 16,000 residents over 18, and where 49-year-old missing mom Suzanne Morphew’s disappearance was known the day it was reported, Barry Morphew would not receive a fair trial in Chaffee County, where the Salida courtroom is located. The judge also noted that the case has received a “massive, pervasive and prejudicial” amount of pre-trial publicity.

A hearing scheduled for Tuesday in the case will be held in Chaffee County. After that, all hearings and the trial, set for three weeks in May, will be held in the Fremont County Courthouse, which is still in the 11th Judicial District, but outside of the area where the Morphews had their family home and where Barry Morphew has been living while out on bail.

Barry Morphew update: Judge moves case to Fremont County | 9news.com

The judge also noted that a 129-page affidavit has been released publicly and said it contained information that was "prejudicial" that would not be admissible during the trial.

During a hearing Tuesday morning, Morphew's defense said they may challenge the move to Fremont County because his case would remain within the 11th Judicial District under the same district attorney.

Before I view any videos from the finding of the bike, I’m going to keep in mind that reporters who saw it at the Preliminary hearing described it as quite emotional. The deputies body worn cameras show the scene and also voices can be heard calling out Suzanne’s name.

jmo

When we think of Suzanne and what has happened we think of the obvious victims like her, her daughters, her family, her friends... but those officers that responded. :( Man on Mother's Day. Imagine for a moment working on Mother's Day.. most guys I know spend that day with their wives and/or their mothers and celebrate them in some way. They don't have the same view that Barry did that it "wasn't husband day".. gross. Anyway, they are working on this day and not spending that time with the ladies in their lives.. instead they get called to find this missing mom. Her girls can't get ahold of her. Her husband is out of town and initially they can't reach him. Then, they turn down the road toward her home and find her bike. They are outside their patrol car yelling for her because surely a crashed bike means she is close by injured.. they had no way to know just how much evil was really involved. We forget sometimes that these officers carry this with them too. They want justice for Suzanne. It's a shame that things may have been handled slightly off. We know not to touch things or move things, but I can put myself in their shoes and knowing only what they were told that mom is missing, might be riding her bike, then they find her bike.. who would think in this town where a violent crime like this hadn't happened since I think I read the 80s... who thinks this is a husband murdering his wife and staging it ON Mother's Day. I know LE are supposed to be aware and this is a big no no, but when we put ourselves in their shoes, at least I can see how some things happened.

Oh, the IT experts determined that nobody hacked into WebEx at last week's hearing... An attendee must have recorded it live and streamed it on you tube... no phones allowed.

Wow. And someone (the judge? the defense? (sorry, I can't remember who said it out loud) even named AK as the "hacker". That is really messed up imo.

If the defense gets the trial moved to a new county, with a new DA, will the new DA have to get caught up? Hence a delay?

Advantage, defense.

Seems like this defense team won't miss a beat, anything to delay the trial.

That there is why they get paid the big bucks.

Barry's best bet for freedom is on this side of a trial.

JMO

Last edited:
If the defense gets the trial moved to a new county, with a new DA, will the new DA have to get caught up? Hence a delay?

Advantage, defense.

There's why they get paid the big bucks.

Barry's best best for freedom is on this side of a trial.

JMO

It's in the same judicial branch as Salida, So cannot see why the DA, Judge would change. It may be a little more conservative, it's a little bit more of a retirement area, more affordable(working folks), plenty of military veterans and the surrounding prisons are retirement villages for many criminals. Folks from Salida often go there to shop. MOO

Advantage, defense.

That there is why they get paid the big bucks.

Barry's best bet for freedom is on this side of a trial.

JMO
Nothing changes. Same judge, same prosecution team.

The defense seems to be against a delay, even moving to try and shift the start date earlier.

Any ideas why BM would give so many statements to LE without legal counsel?
Wondering how common this is, especially when a POI is also acquainted with true crime cases.

Welcome @NothingSurprisesAnymore! Never a good thing to give as many statements / interviews w/LE without legal counsel. Why Barry did this? IMO: 1. He is not the sharpest tool in the shed. 2. He thinks he is "above the law" and will get away with it. BM has a false sense of security..that is for sure. After all, he thought Agent Grusing was his "buddy" and was shocked when he was arrested. BM believes somehow he is sacrosanct. Barry knows he is toast right here, snipped for focus on page 116:

Barry said, "Any guy in his right mind that knows anything about the legal system would tell you not to talk, I just..."
SA Grusing interrupts Barry to say that he hears Barry, but fathers or spouses of people that go missing typically cannot be stopped from calling the FBI. SA Grusing told Barry if he is guilty, he is correct, he should not be talking to us. Barry said, "Yeah."

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/11th_Judicial_District/Chaffee/cases of interest/21CR78/21cr78 Morphew Redacted Affidavit.pdf

JMO

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 3.39.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 3.39.16 PM.png
    113.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1488602828885082112?s=21
Judge Ramsey Lama said, "We were not hacked," according to the Chaffee County Courts IT Team referring to the Jan. 24 motions hearing. He said that someone in the courtroom might have been live-streaming so phones are still not allowed in the courthouse.

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1488604519072206850?s=21
Court will resume at 1:15 p.m. I'm headed inside so I won't be able to tweet until after the motions hearing today. I'll have a live report at 5 p.m. @FOX21News

Prediction: as time passes, those closest to Barry will simply choose not to process data, and will accept Barry as a victim. They'll feel sorry for him.

And sympathy/empathy/pity will eclipse doubt, reason, justice, grief.

Today my heart is with SO. Who truly loved Suzanne. Her heart must be torn to pieces, watching this horrible story play out.

JMO

At one point ( I think it was after the arrest ) someone asked CM about the “ 5 “ and he replied with one word —
Trees.

Wish I could link, but he deleted his Twitter account.

Yeah, well CM has kind of exploded his way right out of any kind of credibility and as such is a pariah around here so ...

Barry tossed one small tree container. It might be the mid-sized, but it looks like the sapling pot to me. And finally, Barry is a boulder guy, not a tree guy.

Let's take a moment to step into perspective.

Marriages come to an end.

People cheat, people grow apart, people behave...like people. And they divorce. It hurts, they heal.

They don't kill.

Suzanne's affair, all moral judgment aside, is smoke.

Barry wasn't going to let Suzanne go. Not before JL, not after. He wouldn't discuss it. He made her feel bad for being unforgiving. IMO he used religion to manipulate her. He used guilt, he used their children, he used threats, he used love bombing, he used money. And you know what else? In his limited defense, I think Barry himself didn't know that that's not how it's supposed to be. He controlled things for a long time. I think Barry thought control was love. Barry still thinks control is love.

When he could no longer control Suzanne (with money, trips, manipulations, fast talk, gaslighting, religion, pity), he labeled HER unloving.

So backwards. But to me, it reveals how he thinks and it shows how very trapped Suzanne was.

Barry is "better" than the rest of men because HE doesn't believe in divorce.

Sadly IMO he doesn't even know what marriage is.

Let this be a lesson for the rest of us.

Do not keep family secrets. Trust someone. If your relationship is fraught with manipulation, confide in someone. It'll help maintain sanity. (Manipulators are crazy-makers.) Document, document, document. It might be the only voice of yours left. And when you're ready to leave, have an escape plan.

If only Suzanne could've found a DV helpline who could've helped her get away before ever leaving Indiana...

But like so many women before (and after) her, she knew he was capable of making her life hard, I don't think she thought he'd make her life over.

Suzanne didn't die because she had an affair. Suzanne died because she married Barry.

It's that simple. And that tragic.

JMO
Barry doesn't know what love is. He controlled everything Suzanne did. He's a master manipulator of the worst kind. When he wasn't going to get what he wanted, Suzanne, he killed her. He's dangerous, to people and animals. I hope he rots and burns in hell.

JMO

Ok....wait a minute...

I must have really forgot alot of stuff in this AA.

Page 33 Am I reading this right??

"On May 4th 2020 at 4:04 p.m., Barry made an outgoing call to Susan that lasted 3 seconds. This was the first logged call in Barry's phone to or from Susan since February 7th 2020."

Am I reading this right? They went almost 3 months with no calling each other?

Confession time. The only time I call my spouses phone is when she can't find it, so I make it ring. Neither of us like to talk on the phone, though and the data would reflect that on both of our phones. We mostly text or use Messenger to communicate when not together.

True....but who really goes 3 months without calling their mate?

Not unless there is real hostility between them. Then texting becomed the next line of communicating.

I should add that I agree with your assessment. Suzanne liked to talk on the phone and as such only communicating with her spouse via text is a sign of a serious issue.

Prediction: as time passes, those closest to Barry will simply choose not to process data, and will accept Barry as a victim. They'll feel sorry for him.

And sympathy/empathy/pity will eclipse doubt, reason, justice, grief.

Today my heart is with SO. Who truly loved Suzanne. Her heart must be torn to pieces, watching this horrible story play out.

JMO
And can't forget AM. All SM's family and friends. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members