Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #97

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m relieved to hear about the dna exclusion. That was nagging at me.

I do think BM was leaving CO, the dream state was over. Still don’t believe he was fleeing. This guy away from his daughters, mom and sisters? No way. He was just moving. Nevertheless…. IMO
Yeah, that's my opinion as well. Barry hadn't even hired a criminal lawyer when he was arrested. He was still very much performing the role of innocent husband/father, and he thought he was getting away with it right up until he got arrested. He may have been planning on moving elsewhere, but I think there was very little chance he was going to run. That would have been very, very hard to explain to his daughters and his family. And I think his appearance to his family is very important to him.

Plus if he already had an escape plan in motion when he was arrested, surely he would have tried to follow through on it once he got out on bail? At that point he knew that LE didn't believe him and he would have had way more reason to run.

According to LS this Attorney was in Court today for the Defense.

Jane Fisher-Byrialsen | Korey Wise Innocence Project | University of Colorado Boulder

At 58:00

Fisher Byrialsen is the attorney who filed the civil notice of claim against government entities and employees, a prerequisite to filing a lawsuit for BM. I infer she was there to get a chance to examine some of the prospective defendants about probable cause. Judge M's finding of PC is a very inconvenient fact for the prospects of such a claim, which is why they are working so hard to get Judge L to overturn it. I think they were tantalized by Cahill's Brady difficulties and his overstatement that filing charges was the worst decision that could be made.

The prosecution made the interesting point that if it is assumed disclosure of this statement was improperly late, the logical remedy would be to re-do the PH and have Judge L apply the probable cause standard. The fact that they did not ask for a re-do is telling IMO.

Ashley Franco
@AshleyKKTV

Planning for 9:30am- about 10 minutes from now for a review of yesterday's #BarryMorphew hearing. We'll take it live on the KKTV Facebook page: https://facebook.com/kktv11news

Thanks, @Gardenista for Ashley's link.

Now we have the second reporter versed in this case confirming all three CODIS partial DNA hits have been excluded. We know these partial hits were essentially responsible for BM being released on bail.

Seems that TS (i.e., submitting a question to FB live) still trying to allude to the defense finding a 4th hit which I believe is more smoke and mirrors by the defense, but I understand how BM's family and friends need something to cling to. Clearly, just because defense attorney IE makes the allegation does not make it true.

Now we have the second reporter versed in this case confirming all three CODIS partial DNA hits have been excluded. We know these partial hits were essentially responsible for BM being released on bail.

Seems that TS (i.e., submitting a question to FB live) still trying to allude to the defense finding a 4th hit which I believe is more smoke and mirrors by the defense, but I understand how BM's family and friends need something to cling to. Clearly, just because defense attorney IE makes the allegation does not make it true.
All the nonsense coming from the Defence is very annoying. However, I take some consolation in the amount of time this is taking up and thinking about how BM’s blood money is flying out the window. It would REALLY annoy me if he got to use that money on himself, enjoying life and showering Sho with bracelets, flowers and vacations in Mexico. :mad:

Well, since that tidbit was revealed, TS has questioned both LS and AF about a FOURTH hit! That man just doesn’t give up. :confused:

What is sad is I have had some interactions with him and finally I just asked, what do you say about all the coincidences and "lies" Barry told that day. Those that think he is guilty get questions like "what hard evidence do you have?".. I assume that means Suzanne's blood being in the house, at a crime scene, Barry's DNA being somewhere it shouldn't be or some smoking gun like finding the evidence he dumped, etc. There isn't any that we know of yet, but his lies, his location, his behavior is highly suspect and to me does not leave the door open for another killer. So I asked what do the supporters think about his lies? That doesn't line up with this Godly amazing man many claim he is. I was told, "Don't get mad at me" (basically saying me asking what supporters think of Barry's likes as avoiding the question about the DNA, which is now excluded and not relevant, Suzanne's affair, her lying, etc. I said, I am not angry, I answered that question all I want to know is what supporters think about Barry's lies. Then crickets.. nothing, nada. Supporters don't have an answer for his lies or the "coincidences" for that day.

Yes. They prepped him for the hearing and his answers weren't up to par during the prelim. It seemed like the consensus was he performed poorly, and it wasn't just Stanley.
According to Ashley's recap, Cahill was prepped by the 11th Judicial District as they do with all cases but when questioned by the defense, he gave answers that were inconsistent with the answers he gave during his prep. Seriously, why wouldn't this be cause for concern by the state?!!

Personally, I think Cahill was intimidated by the phone call he received from the defense team the day before the PH. I think E & N learned very early that Cahill would be the weakest link and pounced on him via their inside info. (Cahill's LE experience was mostly US Army and not CBI). I think most [experienced] investigators would not have taken and/or returned the phone call by the defense at the 11th hour. MOO

I'd like to see Barry's bond revoked then. The defense claiming that LE didn't follow up on the DNA and tried to make it seem there really was a very real possibility that that DNA was a suspect that could have harmed her and they just didn't follow up on it because they wanted to railroad Barry.

Please these investigators are not idiots. They knew from the moment he stepped out of the truck crying about a mountain lion that something was very off. DNA in her car and that is it would be highly unlikely. Zero items stolen from the car like her purse and money laying right there. No DNA on the doors, no signs of a struggle, nothing oh AND that random person decided to stage her bike and helmet too.

What is sad is I have had some interactions with him and finally I just asked, what do you say about all the coincidences and "lies" Barry told that day. Those that think he is guilty get questions like "what hard evidence do you have?".. I assume that means Suzanne's blood being in the house, at a crime scene, Barry's DNA being somewhere it shouldn't be or some smoking gun like finding the evidence he dumped, etc. There isn't any that we know of yet, but his lies, his location, his behavior is highly suspect and to me does not leave the door open for another killer. So I asked what do the supporters think about his lies? That doesn't line up with this Godly amazing man many claim he is. I was told, "Don't get mad at me" (basically saying me asking what supporters think of Barry's likes as avoiding the question about the DNA, which is now excluded and not relevant, Suzanne's affair, her lying, etc. I said, I am not angry, I answered that question all I want to know is what supporters think about Barry's lies. Then crickets.. nothing, nada. Supporters don't have an answer for his lies or the "coincidences" for that day.
Respectfully, I'm not following this post: Did OP interact with TS on social media and/or was this TS interaction with a reporter? Who is OP quoting here? :eek:

Respectfully, I'm not following this post: Did OP interact with TS on social media and/or was this TS interaction with a reporter? Who is OP quoting here? :eek:

I'll rephrase and say in my opinion interactions with Barry supporters are all similar to that interaction. No real answer for his behavior and lies, just deflection to the DNA in the car and getting defensive about things. I'd say this DNA excluded is a huge hit. I feel bad for his supporters because there is no defense for his lies and his behavior. We have seen plenty in the media about what his supporters say. It seems that hinges on the fact that he is a Godly man and would never, yet he lied 100s of times. Doesn't seem to line up.

A civil rights attorney? The Innocence Project has better things to spend time on. Like some wrongfully convicted kid in Mississippi.
The Korey Wise Innocence Project (KWIP) at the University of Colorado law school should not be confused with The Innocence Project founded by Barry Scheck (see O.J. Simpson case), which has been using DNA and other forensic science since 1992 to overturn wrongful convictions across the nation.

The Colorado-focused KWIP started in 2015 with a donation to CU law school from one of the Central Park Five, who uses his settlement money from NYC and the State of New York for philanthropic purposes.

I believe Jane Fisher-Byrialsen is a member of the advisory board for the KWIP, probably because she represented Korey Wise in his lawsuit and settlement with NY. However, she is appearing in People v Morphew not for KWIP but as a representative of her law firm and BM's paid attorney of record in the murder case.

Interesting that his sister claims he mentored young men. Where are all these young men that were mentored by BM? We haven't heard from a single one. Must have been a very well-kept secret since BM is modest like that. :rolleyes:
IMO, she's referring to the meth-heads that BM hires. Essentially his entire workforce where once he's used them for his professional and personal needs, he instantly relies on the alleged druggie excuse as to why they're no longer employed by him (a la JP, CL, and MG)...

IMO, she's referring to the meth-heads that BM hires. Essentially his entire workforce where once he's used them for his professional and personal needs, he instantly relies on the alleged druggie excuse as to why they're no longer employed by him (a la JP, CL, and MG)...
I agree with you. I am curious WHERE he becomes acquainted with those he hires. For instance, is there some kind of connection between say, court-ordered rehab facilities and local church ministries to provide employment to their clients?

ETA: I know there have been some reports that he met some of those contractors he used in Salida at DSI when he did work for them, but how about back in Indiana and before he was much established in Colorado?

I wondered, after I wrote the post, if he referred to these alleged men he allegedly mentored as meth heads or if they had drunk eyes.

The trip to Africa (on his own dime!), I'm betting that was also an opportunity to scout out good hunting/big game connections.

MOO

I'd like to see Barry's bond revoked then. The defense claiming that LE didn't follow up on the DNA and tried to make it seem there really was a very real possibility that that DNA was a suspect that could have harmed her and they just didn't follow up on it because they wanted to railroad Barry.

Please these investigators are not idiots. They knew from the moment he stepped out of the truck crying about a mountain lion that something was very off. DNA in her car and that is it would be highly unlikely. Zero items stolen from the car like her purse and money laying right there. No DNA on the doors, no signs of a struggle, nothing oh AND that random person decided to stage her bike and helmet too.
I don’t think even if you eliminated the dna at the preliminary they had proof positive presumption great. They had probable cause which isn’t enough to keep a person in prison for a year. I do think the trial is ultimately going to be about gps and telematics. I do think the judge will give sanctions of some sort. It was clear that the late delivery of documents is directly connected to the premature arrest warrant. Every single CBI agent affirmed that yesterday that the timing was not optimal and that communications were at times not optimal. Oh and proving she is indeed deceased which they will do through social activity. An interesting point Lauren brought up is that CBI said they wanted more time on the financials. It is sad but affirmative that my very first thought was the arrest was premature. Imagine if CBI would have had more time. I think they do a really good job but made the point that Speeze and Walker were “in charge.” Linda even backed off and said she “waited” until Speeze came to her. So I think off to trial we go shortly. I hope the news media can get some coverage allowed.

I also believe he was moving…not “fleeing”… makes for good drama but I don’t believe it. I think Speeze was in a “gotta get my man” mode of thinking and he saw it potentially slipping through his fingers to the FBI.

Last edited:
I agree with you. I am curious WHERE he becomes acquainted with those he hires. For instance, is there some kind of connection between say, court-ordered rehab facilities and local church ministries to provide employment to their clients?

ETA: I know there have been some reports that he met some of those contractors he used in Salida at DSI when he did work for them, but how about back in Indiana and before he was much established in Colorado?

Maybe the' meth heads' do a bit of dumpster diving and Barry meets them whilst enjoying a romantic evening under the stars.

Learn more about Barry Morphew
His sister and TS. Interesting information not included on Dateline show IIRC.

Good people do bad things. Er... people can do good and bad things. Bad people do good things sometimes.

Dr. Phil says, "Even serial killers don't kill every day."

How many schools in Africa would it take to cancel out one murder?

JMO

Last edited:

I wonder if he had more time, if his intent was to pin it on someone else. The way he threw names out and people under the bus when questioned it makes me think if he had more time, he was trying to pin it on one of his workers. Having MG bring up people later, him leaving things at the hotel, then he wasn't in town when she disappeared but his workers were, then they arrive at the hotel as he's arriving at home. I don't think there is further evidence to suggest that is what he was doing, but him abruptly deciding to leave early, not take MG as planned, have her bring another worker, etc.

Judge will rule on whether or not to dismiss Barry Morphew case

March 4, 2022

FREMONT COUNTY, COLO., - Law enforcement officers from local and state agencies investigating Suzanne Morphew’s disappearance testified in court Friday that they all agreed there was probable cause in the case, but disagreed on the timing for when Barry Morphew should have been arrested.

[..]

CBI Agents said there was still more investigative work to be done, test results they were waiting on, that they were hoping to interview more people, as well as other reasons they wanted to wait.

“I understood that they were about to make an arrest… so I call him and told him that Barry Morphew was still speaking to our investigators and I didn’t want that to come to a close,” Camper said in court. “He disagreed… one of the main concerns he expressed was that Mr. Morphew would flee. I wasn’t as concerned about that.”

Still, 11th Judicial District Attorney Linda Stanley and Chafee County Sheriff John Spezze moved forward with arresting Morphew and charging him with murder, despite the concerns expressed by members of CBI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrueCrimeJunkieCory