Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #97

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good people do bad things.

Dr. Phil says, Even serial killers don't kill every day.

How many schools in Africa would it take to cancel out one murder?

JMO
Good people do sometimes do bad things. There are truths about Barry that don’t get a lot of discussion because it is easier to build the man into a particular image to mentally explain why he is accused of this crime. I suspect the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Interesting that his sister claims he mentored young men. Where are all these young men that were mentored by BM? We haven't heard from a single one. Must have been a very well-kept secret since BM is modest like that. :rolleyes:

I think the men BM mentored were probably done so with an ulterior motive... cheap labor.
Many may have had criminal records or bad references which would make them desperate for employment and willing to work for less than market wages.

I wonder if he had more time, if his intent was to pin it on someone else. The way he threw names out and people under the bus when questioned it makes me think if he had more time, he was trying to pin it on one of his workers. Having MG bring up people later, him leaving things at the hotel, then he wasn't in town when she disappeared but his workers were, then they arrive at the hotel as he's arriving at home. I don't think there is further evidence to suggest that is what he was doing, but him abruptly deciding to leave early, not take MG as planned, have her bring another worker, etc.
Last night, during Lauren’s live video, she made an interesting note. She relayed information from testimony given by Graham, I believe he is a CBI investigator. He said that investigators never found ANY evidence pointing away from Barry as being the suspect.

Good video but I’m just a bit concerned with CBI asking Speezee for five more days before they made an arrest. Five more days so that Barry could disappear? Does he have a friend at CBI? I’m skeptical.
IMO, CBI wanted those 5 days to consolidate/edit their contribution to the AA, and close out the DNA information. I think it's clear from DA Stanley's testimony Friday that she relied on the investigators to do their job and didn't believe it was her place to modify the AA to the typical 25-30 page AA. Also explains why the prosecution has been quick to correct the defense each and every time they alluded to the prosecution having 12+ months of knowledge of the discovery in seeking sanctions for tardy exchange. MOO

Last night, during Lauren’s live video, she made an interesting note. She relayed information from testimony given by Graham, I believe he is a CBI investigator. He said that investigators never found ANY evidence pointing away from Barry as being the suspect.
Ouch!! Or should I say "BAM!" I imagine Defence counsel did like that!! :)

IMO, CBI wanted those 5 days to consolidate/edit their contribution to the AA, and close out the DNA information. I think it's clear from DA Stanley's testimony Friday that she relied on the investigators to do their job and didn't believe it was her place to modify the AA to the typical 25-30 page AA. Also explains why the prosecution has been quick to correct the defense each and every time they alluded to the prosecution having 12+ months of knowledge of the discovery in seeking sanctions for tardy exchange. MOO

Thank you Seattle. I have a question though.
Investigators who wrote the AA were from the sheriffs office or CBI? That’s not something I remember. If it was CBI then I can understand them wanting to write a condensed version of the AA. If it was the sheriff’s investigator who wrote the AA why wouldn’t Stanley want it written better and condensed as well? I’m not sure I understand why all investigators weren’t on the same page. Maybe it’s not something that matters but it has given defense attorneys and the judge a lot to criticize.

So this is what I got out of yesterday:
*Opinions are not evidence.
*Cahill threw a tantrum.
*There wasn't anything in the investigation that showed Barry Morphew did not do it.

Guess yesterday wasn't husband's day!!

Have you ever tried to get that many people on the same page? There are times when investigators put together a great case, but the DA isn’t ready. They will say, get me more evidence. Some might want a body. One bite at the apple and all that. I am not surprised that there was disagreement. It’s human nature, especially with all of the different departments involved. Who gets to be alpha…

Good people do sometimes do bad things. There are truths about Barry that don’t get a lot of discussion because it is easier to build the man into a particular image to mentally explain why he is accused of this crime. I suspect the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
Read up on the BTK serial killer. Never missed church. Had a family. Made food, usually a pot of chili, for church functions weekly. At his arrest, his family and church were shocked.

Yet he was a vicious murderer who chose his victims while doing his job in the community. Usually middle aged to elderly women who lived alone. Hard to sleep after seeing his interviews.

Not saying Barry is a serial killer but on the other hand, I would not be surprised. It appears he he has tried his whole life to appear virtuous but as @OldCop said, something like he was angel to the public but a devil at home.

A couple of friends and some family thinks he is virtuous. Other friends, Suzanne and MM2 knew better. He was an abuser for sure and narcissistic.

In any case, the “good” Barry snapped. Surely you don’t still believe him to be innocent?

Have you ever tried to get that many people on the same page? There are times when investigators put together a great case, but the DA isn’t ready. They will say, get me more evidence. Some might want a body. One bite at the apple and all that. I am not surprised that there was disagreement. It’s human nature, especially with all of the different departments involved. Who gets to be alpha…
No. I haven’t. Thought it ran more smoothly than that though. They had a common goal.

Interesting that his sister claims he mentored young men. Where are all these young men that were mentored by BM? We haven't heard from a single one. Must have been a very well-kept secret since BM is modest like that. :rolleyes:
well I can think of a couple of them who might testify against Barry at trial. Lol.

I am behind and have a lot of reading to do to catch up, but wanted to post some of my thoughts. I don’t understand why former CBI Agent Cahill’s opinion about BM’s arrest is even relevant or the other CBI Agents who share his opinion for that matter. They are investigators, their job is to investigate. Spezze asked CBI and FBI to assist in the investigation. They assisted, did their jobs of investigating for almost one year. Grusing completed audit thereof and the case file got handed over to the DA. The agents are entitled to their opinions about timing of an arrest and offer their input, but they do not make the decisions about arrests/timing of arrests. It is the Legal Branch that makes those decisions i.e., the DA and the Judge.

Once the DA was given the case file after Grusing completed the audit, it was out of investigators hands. As Grusing told Barry at their last interview when Barry asked him what comes next, Grusing told him that everything will be handed over to the DA and they decide what comes next.

CBI Investigators voiced their opinions/concerns to Sheriff Spezze that they felt arresting BM was premature. Sheriff Spezze, head of the agency in charge of the investigation and the DA didn’t agree with CBI investigators. The DA had the same concern as Spezze about BM fleeing, but a suspect fleeing isn’t enough to charge/arrest them if the DA feels the investigation hadn’t yet amassed enough compelling evidence, enough to where DA feels they have a winnable case in court. IOW, even though the DA agreed with Spezze’s concern about BM fleeing, it is still ultimately the DA’s decision as to whether she feels they have amassed enough compelling evidence, strong enough to file charges/warrant an arrest, to where she feels they can win a successful prosecution at future trial. So the DA could have said no to arresting BM at that time if she felt the case was weak/not enough evidence yet to be successful/win in court i.e., the DA would have told Spezze something to the effect, we don’t have enough yet, not going to bring it before the Judge until we have more, if BM flees we’ll get him in Arizona, or extradite him from wherever when I feel we have enough evidence to support charges and to able to be successful/secure a conviction in court.

As it turns out, after review of the case file, the DA decided there was enough/sufficient compelling evidence, enough to win a successful prosecution on M1 and tampering with a deceased body and time was right to arrest BM. She filed the charges, and the Judge felt there was enough probable cause, signed the arrest warrant authorizing BM’s arrest. Spezze and crew arrested BM per the signed arrest warrant. BM sat in jail for a few months and at the end of four days of PH’s, the Judge felt the prosecution met the bar/proof evident that there was enough evidence to move forward with a trial. Judge bound BM over for trial, ruled BM eligible for bond, BM paid the $500k bond to get out of jail while awaiting trial, and here we are.

The CBI Agent/s that disagreed with the DA’s decision and opined the arrest was premature, frankly their opinion is irrelevant and doesn’t exculpate BM nor prove he is innocent. Ridiculous the defense is trying to use CBI agents’ opinion/feeling that BM’s arrest was premature to get charges dismissed. The defense is desperate and overreaching. The DNA having now been officially debunked, they literally have nothing else. It’s called desperation, and the DC is going to try throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks. Grandstanding, throwing up smoke and mirrors, going on fishing expeditions trying to get the charges against their indefensible client, dismissed. Working hard earning every $$$$, meanwhile BM’s bank account balance gets significantly lower. Sorry not sorry BM.

It’s hard to predict what Judge Lama will decide, but I don’t think he will dismiss charges. I really hope not but if he does rule to dismiss the charges, considering the investigation is ongoing, more evidence could come to light and at least charges can be refiled in the future, and more time to find Suzanne’s remains.

We can all opine if we agree or disagree with DA making the decision to file charges and arrest BM when she did, but it’s important to remember we do not know everything the DA/state has on BM. They may have amassed even more evidence added to their arsenal since BM’s arrest 10 months ago. The DA/state have not/will not tip their hand and give away everything they have/know prior to going to trial. I personally think this case is going to trial as scheduled, and also think there are more than likely some surprises in store that the state will bring forth during trial. Again, we don’t know everything the state has and if trial does indeed go forward as scheduled, it’s right around the corner, so we should have answers soon.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
I am behind and have a lot of reading to do to catch up, but wanted to post some of my thoughts. I don’t understand why former CBI Agent Cahill’s opinion about BM’s arrest is even relevant or the other CBI Agents who share his opinion for that matter. They are investigators, their job is to investigate. Spezze asked CBI and FBI to assist in the investigation. They assisted, did their jobs of investigating for almost one year. Grusing completed audit thereof and handed the case file over to the DA. The agents are entitled to their opinions about timing of an arrest and offer their input, but they do not make the decisions about arrests/timing of arrests. It is the Legal Branch that makes those decisions i.e., the DA and the Judge.

Once the DA was given the case file after Grusing completed the audit, it was out of investigators hands. As Grusing told Barry at their last interview when Barry asked him what comes next, Grusing told him that everything will be handed over to the DA and they decide what comes next.

CBI Investigators voiced their opinions/concerns to Sheriff Spezze that they felt arresting BM was premature. Sheriff Spezze/CCSO the agency in charge of the investigation and the DA didn’t agree with CBI investigators. The DA had the same concern as Spezze about BM fleeing, but a suspect fleeing isn’t enough to charge/arrest them if the DA feels the investigation hadn’t yet amassed enough compelling evidence, enough to where DA feels they have a winnable case in court. IOW, even though the DA agreed with Spezze’s concern about BM fleeing, it is still ultimately the DA’s decision as to whether she feels they have amassed enough compelling evidence, strong enough to file charges/warrant an arrest, to where she feels they can win a successful prosecution at future trial. So the DA could have said no to arresting BM at that time if she felt the case was weak/not enough evidence yet to be successful/win in court i.e., the DA would have told Spezze something to the effect, we don’t have enough yet, not going to bring it before the Judge until we have more, if BM flees we’ll get him in Arizona, or extradite him from wherever when I feel we have enough evidence to support charges and to able to be successful/secure a conviction in court.

As it turns out, after review of the case file, the DA decided there was enough/sufficient compelling evidence, enough to win a successful prosecution on M1 and tampering with a deceased body and time was right to arrest BM. She filed the charges, and the Judge felt there was enough probable cause, signed the arrest warrant authorizing BM’s arrest. Spezze and crew arrested BM per the signed arrest warrant. BM sat in jail for a few months and at the end of four days of PH’s, the Judge felt the prosecution met the bar/proof evident that there was enough evidence to move forward with a trial. Judge bound BM over for trial, ruled BM eligible to be out on bond, and here we are.

The CBI Agent/s that disagreed with the DA’s decision and opined the arrest was premature, frankly their opinion is irrelevant and doesn’t exculpate BM nor prove he is innocent. Ridiculous the defense is trying to use CBI agents’ opinion/feeling that BM’s arrest was premature to get charges dismissed. The defense is desperate and overreaching. The DNA having now been officially debunked, they literally have nothing else. It’s called desperation, and the DC is going to try throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks. Grandstanding, throwing up smoke and mirrors, going on fishing expeditions trying to get the charges against their indefensible client, dismissed. Hard to predict what Judge Lama will decide, but I don’t think he will dismiss charges. I really hope not but if he does rule to dismiss the charges, considering the investigation is ongoing, at least charges can be refiled in the future and more time to find Suzanne’s remains. We can all opine if we agree or disagree with DA making the decision to file charges and arrest BM when she did, but it’s important to remember we do not know everything she/the state has on BM. They may have amassed even more evidence added to their arsenal since BM’s arrest 10 months ago. The state have not/will not tip their hand and give away everything they have/know prior to going to trial. I think this case is going to trial and there are some surprises in store that the state will bring forth during trial. We don’t know everything they have and if trial goes forward as scheduled, it’s right around the corner so we should have answers soon.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne
This is a very good post and makes things clear. Thank you.

Last edited:
Thank you Seattle. I have a question though.
Investigators who wrote the AA were from the sheriffs office or CBI? That’s not something I remember. If it was CBI then I can understand them wanting to write a condensed version of the AA. If it was the sheriff’s investigator who wrote the AA why wouldn’t Stanley want it written better and condensed as well? I’m not sure I understand why all investigators weren’t on the same page. Maybe it’s not something that matters but it has given defense attorneys and the judge a lot to criticize.
Alex Walker signed the AA. He was the chief investigator for the DA's office when he signed it, but I believe he now works for CCSO.

Alex Walker signed the AA. He was the chief investigator for the DA's office when he signed it, but I believe he now works for CCSO.
Thanks. I actually loved all the minute details in the AA. I couldn’t remember who wrote it. I hate that the judge complained about it, as did the defense.

I recall her saying that. I also remember in her or Ashley’s F recap that one agent said they also didn’t have any evidence that SM was murdered either. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrueCrimeJunkieCory