Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #98

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that is why the entire recorded conversations are important...if prosecution is going to tie this together based on what Barry said then it seems very reasonable for defense to want the recording heard along with any LE that take the stand to back up what they heard verbatim or to hear the entire conversation. I think the hearing this week about the dogs must have to do with the judge telling the prosecution they had to elucidate on the tampering charge so I'm guessing they want to now use the dogs that alerted to the bobcat to back up their tampering charge...but that is one big guess for sure. So far in my opinion we really haven't been exposed to anything about tampering other than the suggestion that since they didn't find Suzanne her body had to have been moved... I'm also really curious about Grusing who I assume will testify as he was the one that suggested to Barry many things both about Suzanne and her plans and missing miles and all sorts of things. It will be very interesting to know how defense handles him in cross.
Yes, from what I’ve seen and heard of Grusing I am looking forward to him being up there too.

I think that is why the entire recorded conversations are important...if prosecution is going to tie this together based on what Barry said then it seems very reasonable for defense to want the recording heard along with any LE that take the stand to back up what they heard verbatim or to hear the entire conversation. I think the hearing this week about the dogs must have to do with the judge telling the prosecution they had to elucidate on the tampering charge so I'm guessing they want to now use the dogs that alerted to the bobcat to back up their tampering charge...but that is one big guess for sure. So far in my opinion we really haven't been exposed to anything about tampering other than the suggestion that since they didn't find Suzanne her body had to have been moved... I'm also really curious about Grusing who I assume will testify as he was the one that suggested to Barry many things both about Suzanne and her plans and missing miles and all sorts of things. It will be very interesting to know how defense handles him in cross.
Have you ever seen Grusing testify? I seriously doubt the defense will have to “handle” him in cross.

Have you ever seen Grusing testify? I seriously doubt the defense will have to “handle” him in cross.

Cross examination is all about handing IMO...but it would be interesting to know if he has ever been a prosecution witness in other criminal trials with Iris and team. I can't really tell from the AA exactly what his role was, although it appeared to be the mediator but we don't really know all the details or who prosecution will use as witnesses.

As far as I can tell, everyone is totally on board for the entire recorded conversations to be played at this trial. I don't believe the anyone has ever objected or hinted otherwise. Same with how Grusing handles Iris and the D. I think we are all waiting for that.

So I have been following this case since day 1. I am not necessarily a Barry supporter but I do think you have to have evidence to convict someone and I do think there are things that put me on the fence. Anyway, the thing that I wanted to post about is Barry's lying. I personally detest liars and I am pretty much honest to a fault and pretty blunt personally. With me I will tell you exactly what I think. However, in my life I have known people that are liars no matter what. For example, my friend's husband would lie and say he went to McDonald's when he really went to Burger King. It drives me crazy but there are some people that lie all the time and believe their own lies or can't help themselves. I don't understand it because it is not something I do but I do know that people lie for all different kinds of reasons and I do think some people can't help themselves. I do think Barry is one of these people and has been this way his whole life so don't think it is unique to this situation. I am not saying he isn't lying to cover up what he did and he very well could be but I think he would lie even if he had nothing to do with it because he can't help himself and so for me, lying doesn't equal murderer and that is why I look forward to seeing the evidence laid out at trial.
Maybe if you just look at his actions that might be helpful. There is an old saying "don't watch the lips watch the hips" - forget what he is saying, watch what he is doing. just imo

As far as I can tell, everyone is totally on board for the entire recorded conversations to be played at this trial. I don't believe the anyone has ever objected or hinted otherwise. Same with how Grusing handles Iris and the D. I think we are all waiting for that.
If the PH was any indication, I think Grusing is more than capable of handling hurricane Iris. :) He's a seasoned professional with a ton of experience in testifying.

SM's Phone Moving?
... Then when SM is asleep, her phone is moving, at a time BM is moving and also has another activity (switching off)....
@mrjitty sbm Thx for your post. Sooo, you noticed when SM is asleep, her phone is moving???

Of course only when SM is sleepwalking. ;):D:rolleyes: j/k
BM forgot to tell LE she was a somnambulist./s

A lack of an operable Tranq gun at his house would also be a significant issue given his claims about shooting the deer.

He admitted to binning the tranq material

I believe an inoperative tranq gun was recovered and we have the unresolved .22 issue.

So did he also bin a tranq gun?
I think he very well may have. Probably broke it down and dumped it in those various trash receptacles.

How long are the full BM interviews?

I'd be surprised if they are played in full. Courts usually want the presentation of evidence to be streamlined so prosecution and defence are required to focus witnesses on the relevant aspects of exhibits or their evidence.

:D I'm going to have to put this in my smack down repertoire, too funny.
It's the same message as Maya Angelou's "When people show you who they are believe them" - it's all about what people do vs what they say. You can add in and contrast the behavior with what they say to get the larger picture. IME understanding this has saved me from a few very dangerous situations
imo

I'd be surprised if they are played in full. Courts usually want the presentation of evidence to be streamlined so prosecution and defence are required to focus witnesses on the relevant aspects of exhibits or their evidence.
If I am remembering correctly, the defense asked for a similar ruling in the McStay trial. I think they wanted Chase Merritt's entire conversations with his family, while he was incarcerated, played to the jury, because the state had played a small piece of the family visit, where he had allegedly tried to get his wife to lie for him.

At first the judge agreed to allow all of it in ---however, because of time constraints, both sides agreed to snip it down to a much smaller segment to be shown to the jury.

So I agree with you that it will not necessarily happen, that the jury will actually see or hear the entire recorded testimony. It would take up a lot of time and a lot of juror attention.

If I remember correctly Iris said 30 hours in the motion asking the judge to add another week to the front end of the trial so that all the conversations could be played....but I could have faulty memory. The judge did add another week to the beginning of the trial so 30 hours sounds about right regardless of how you do it -- all at once or spread it out through the trial. I was under the impression that playing the recorded interview was a done deal.

If I remember correctly Iris said 30 hours in the motion asking the judge to add another week to the front end of the trial so that all the conversations could be played....but I could have faulty memory. The judge did add another week to the beginning of the trial so 30 hours sounds about right regardless of how you do it -- all at once or spread it out through the trial. I was under the impression that playing the recorded interview was a done deal.
I would say that the defense should be careful about what they wish for.

Do they really think that the jury will be charmed by and won over by, Barry's entire interview process? They will be given a chance to see ALL of his many lies and preposterous explanations.

I think they asked for this, expecting to be denied, so they then could have some ammo in their APPEALS. But now they have to follow through and it might not be that helpful to their defense case in the end. JMO

I totally agree, very doubtful the tapes will be played in full
I do seem to remember the D making a theatrical brouhaha about needing the full tapes played though, so the judge added an extra week to the calender.
If the tapes play anything like the tape we saw of BM when he arrives home for the first time since SM has gone missing, they will be disastrous for the defense. And the defense knows that IMO

One thing I went looking for today was info on the date(s) Suzanne's two accounts were set up and the money that was in them or if there had been any transactions. I have to assume that will come up at trial. Since she's missing, it seems like they would have done that to ensure that she had not withdrawn any money. The AA talks only about their joint account. So we're missing Suzanne's bank accounts, her RR activity and a laptop data dump?

Cross examination is all about handing IMO...but it would be interesting to know if he has ever been a prosecution witness in other criminal trials with Iris and team. I can't really tell from the AA exactly what his role was, although it appeared to be the mediator but we don't really know all the details or who prosecution will use as witnesses.
My point was missed, obviously.

Of all the people the defense will need or want to handle, Grusing won't be one of them.
As good as their reputation says they are, they are no match for Grusing.

I totally agree, very doubtful the tapes will be played in full
I do seem to remember the D making a theatrical brouhaha about needing the full tapes played though, so the judge added an extra week to the calender.
If the tapes play anything like the tape we saw of BM when he arrives home for the first time since SM has gone missing, they will be disastrous for the defense. And the defense knows that IMO

I honestly thought that motion was a done deal and ruled on. I think it was covered in D-25 and D-33 but perhaps it wasn't ruled on entirely and the only item in the register that I found is this: DEFENDANT'S MOTIONS D25 AND D33: THE COURT HEARD ARGUMENT ON DEFENDANT'S MOTIONS D25 AND D33. THE COURT TOOK D33 UNDER ADVISEMENT. THE COURT GRANTED D25 IN PART. THE JURY TRIAL SHALL COMMENCE ON 4/29/21, AT 8:00 AM AND CONTINUE THROUGH JUNE 3, 2022. JURORS SHALL BE CALLED TO REPORT ON 4/29/22 TO COMPLETE JUROR QUESTIONNAIRES WITH VOIR DIRE TO BEGIN ON 5/2/22, AT 8:30 AM. THE PARTIES AND COUNSEL SHALL PLAN TO CONDUCT AN OMNI HEARING ON 4/29/22, AT 9:30 AM WHILE JURORS ARE COMPLETING QUESTIONNAIRES.

Order RE: [D-33] Defendant's Motion to Permit Counsel to Redact Inadmissible Material From the Recordings of Barry Morphew's Full Police Interviews That Will Be Introduced Under The Rule Of Completeness And / Or The Opening The Door Doctrine And Motion To Require The Prosecution To Give Notice

One thing I went looking for today was info on the date(s) Suzanne's two accounts were set up and the money that was in them or if there had been any transactions. I have to assume that will come up at trial. Since she's missing, it seems like they would have done that to ensure that she had not withdrawn any money. The AA talks only about their joint account. So we're missing Suzanne's bank accounts, her RR activity and a laptop data dump?
Yes as of the aa there was no activity on her accounts iirc - its right in the aa - where they talk about no proof of life for SM - maybe try the searchable aa IMO

My point was missed, obviously.

Of all the people the defense will need or want to handle, Grusing won't be one of them.
As good as their reputation says they are, they are no match for Grusing.
Whoever is "handling" Grusing might want to make sure they have no skeletons in their closet lol -
He has a disarming way with people, getting them to own up to who they are and what they have done IMO You can bet the squad has been pouring over his interviews etc for quite a while imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm