Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #105

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IE is giving me flashbacks of Mark Geragos turning up on every cable show, talking about how he thought Scott Peterson was guilty, then ends up being hired to defend him. Now we have Jose Baez representing the guy who shot Megan Thee Stallion, who's appealing his conviction in what seems to be a pretty straightforward case, no big mystery.

If you'd only followed Suzanne's case superficially and heard some of IE's comments,some of which are not at all factual, it would be easy to think that poor Barry had been wrongfully indicted. Or at least, it was questionable. IE clearly does not apply the ethical standards she expects prosecutors to uphold.

moo

IE is giving me flashbacks of Mark Geragos turning up on every cable show, talking about how he thought Scott Peterson was guilty, then ends up being hired to defend him. Now we have Jose Baez representing the guy who shot Megan Thee Stallion, who's appealing his conviction in what seems to be a pretty straightforward case, no big mystery.

If you'd only followed Suzanne's case superficially and heard some of IE's comments,some of which are not at all factual, it would be easy to think that poor Barry had been wrongfully indicted. Or at least, it was questionable. IE clearly does not apply the ethical standards she expects prosecutors to uphold.

moo

BIB

This is what annoys me about all the dishonesty - it erodes public trust in institutions.

By all means she should criticise the prosecution for its failings but IE continues to deceive with claims about "no evidence" or "evidence being disproved". We haven't had the trial. How could anything have been disproved?

The difference I see today is IE's not under the gag order so until anything is official, she can command an audience to speculate, which is her preference. JMO

ETA: We know she already went after a witness/victim, I also wonder if she'll next attack the prosecutor. From her new website, she recently established a new project "Protect Ethical Prosecutors (PEP), pending 501(c)(4) status. She plans to reform laws around the country that will put a stop to "rampant prosecutorial conduct."

On that webpage I see "uncovered egregious prosecutorial misconduct" in respect of the BM case

That is intentionally deceptive!

But I love the way she tries to imply a conspiracy far beyond the mundane nature of what happened (i.e failing to meet discovery deadlines)

BIB

This is what annoys me about all the dishonesty - it erodes public trust in institutions.

By all means she should criticise the prosecution for its failings but IE continues to deceive with claims about "no evidence" or "evidence being disproved". We haven't had the trial. How could anything have been disproved?
Oh the countless ways this 100% factual statement could be applied in our day.

I have almost made this same post before but thought that I would be the only one who remembered. The talking heads, discussing the case, night after night Geragos, Nancy Grace, Gloria Allred and Alan Derschowitz. They all thought he was indefensible. Then Mark actually stepped up, never figured that out, he already was very well known.

ETA: Totally agree on your synopsis of IE. It's a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Last edited:
Bringing charges without evidence is misconduct. Look at the Duke Lacrosse scandal. IIRC that prosecutor was disbarred and even jailed.
Judge L, who ruled in IE's favor on many occasions, rejected her claims that LS and her deputies engaged in willful misconduct. However, IE's baseless charge in that forum is probably privileged so there is no way to hold her to account for it.

In October 2021 BM, with assistance of civil trial counsel, filed a Notice of Claim with the State of Colorado, a legal prerequisite to filing a state law-based claim (e.g. false arrest, defamation, abuse of process, state Constitutional violations) against a public entity, official, or employee. Colorado Revised Statutes Section 13-80-103(1)(c) bars claims against law enforcement after one year. A quick check of cases in Colorado shows no civil lawsuits brought by BM against the State, the 11th Judicial District, Chafee County, or any of their officials or agencies. Claims based on Federal law (e.g. violation of rights under the US Constitution) are barred after two years, so it's possible a lawsuit on this basis will be filed before October 23, 2023. It's also possible that a negotiated settlement was reached, although this seems unlikely in the absence of a filed complaint in court.

A year after the NOC was filed someone, presumably BM with IE's assistance with the research, writing, and documentation, filed a complaint of misconduct with the Colorado SC Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel. My check today shows no public action has been taken to date. IMO, a finding against SM and/or her assistants by the Colorado ARC is a practical prerequisite to any lawsuit of any kind.

The statements in the NOC and the ARC complaint are also privileged, so BM and IE are off the hook for them, too.

As time goes by, my assessment solidifies, that these threats and filings are nothing more than PR strategies, and perhaps an effort to deter further investigation of BM. All MOO.

Judge L, who ruled in IE's favor on many occasions, rejected her claims that LS and her deputies engaged in willful misconduct. However, IE's baseless charge in that forum is probably privileged so there is no way to hold her to account for it.

In October 2021 BM, with assistance of civil trial counsel, filed a Notice of Claim with the State of Colorado, a legal prerequisite to filing a state law-based claim (e.g. false arrest, defamation, abuse of process, state Constitutional violations) against a public entity, official, or employee. Colorado Revised Statutes Section 13-80-103(1)(c) bars claims against law enforcement after one year. A quick check of cases in Colorado shows no civil lawsuits brought by BM against the State, the 11th Judicial District, Chafee County, or any of their officials or agencies. Claims based on Federal law (e.g. violation of rights under the US Constitution) are barred after two years, so it's possible a lawsuit on this basis will be filed before October 23, 2023. It's also possible that a negotiated settlement was reached, although this seems unlikely in the absence of a filed complaint in court.

A year after the NOC was filed someone, presumably BM with IE's assistance with the research, writing, and documentation, filed a complaint of misconduct with the Colorado SC Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel. My check today shows no public action has been taken to date. IMO, a finding against SM and/or her assistants by the Colorado ARC is a practical prerequisite to any lawsuit of any kind.

The statements in the NOC and the ARC complaint are also privileged, so BM and IE are off the hook for them, too.

As time goes by, my assessment solidifies, that these threats and filings are nothing more than PR strategies, and perhaps an effort to deter further investigation of BM. All MOO.

Agree 100%

The last thing BM would want is a civil case that actually looked at all the evidence against him …

02c

I have almost made this same post before but thought that I would be the only one who remembered. The talking heads, discussing the case, night after night Geragos, Nancy Grace, Gloria Allred and Alan Derschowitz. They all thought he was indefensible. Then Mark actually stepped up, never figured that out, he already was very well known.

ETA: Totally agree on your synopsis of IE. It's a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black.
TA IMO It's the alternate universe we live in - rife with projection. Ridiculous and absurd.
IE - was the first lawyer who came to mind for Kohlberger - I imagine she would jump at that case, as others have shown with their posts, she kind of has. In some ways I think it might be poetic justice - all that exposure might just show the world who she is and that might be her undoing IMO
On another note I hope every day that Suzanne's case is not forgotten and that BM will be brought to justice IMO

Unrelated cases in the 11th Judicial referencing Morphew case.

In a written ruling Wednesday, Magistrate Michael Meyrick granted a defense motion ordering the District Attorney’s Office to turn over all discovery pertaining to Joseph Tippet’s first-degree murder case to the public defender’s office no later than Jan. 28.

The ruling came after the defense counsel alleged that the DA’s office has a pattern of violating discovery rules when attempting to prosecute first-degree murder cases.

Tippet, 36, formally was charged Wednesday with murder in the first degree, a Class 1 felony, in connection with the shooting death of his 72-year-old father, William Tippet, in their South Raynolds home on Jan. 6.

[…]

Tippet’s public defender, Adam Tunink, asked the court to grant two motions Wednesday, one was to preserve and produce evidence and the other requested the requirement of memorialization from the prosecution and their agents in how they conduct their investigation and interact with alleged victims, family members and witnesses.

Both motions were granted.

“To be frank, we have had this identical conversation on first appearances on other (Class 1 felony) matters,” Tunink said.

[…]

One of the defense motions also points out Judge Ramsey Lama’s finding in the Barry Morphew case earlier this year, which Lama said there was a clear pattern of discovery violations attributable to the prosecution. He found the pattern to be “negligent, bordering on reckless.” Lama ultimately struck the DA’s expert witnesses in that case.

11th Judicial District Attorney Linda Stanley dropped all charges against Morphew in April, just days before the case was set to go to trial. He was accused of the disappearance and murder of his wife, Suzanne Morphew, in May 2020.

[…]

In 2021, Lama also reduced Jeffery Smith’s charge from a Class 1 felony to a Class 2 after finding that the number of discovery violations pertaining to physical evidence in the case was “astounding.” He said the discovery violations amounted to “gross negligence.”

A jury ultimately found Smith not guilty of second-degree murder in the death of Remzi Nesfield, who was reported missing in 2007, and his criminal records were sealed.

[…]

Tippet, 36, formally was charged Wednesday with murder in the first degree, a Class 1 felony, in connection with the shooting death of his 72-year-old father, William Tippet, in their South Raynolds home on Jan. 6.
^^rsbm

So the alleged killer of his Pop was charged YESTERDAY (Weds 1/18) and rules of criminal procedure allow the prosecution 21 days from the first appearance. So let's hold off screaming for LS's head on a stick for at least a couple more days and then they can keep stomping up and down the sidewalk for another 10 days!

Every defense lawyer appearing in the 11th Judicial District wants to be Iris... Good on them. :rolleyes: MOO

ETA: And way to speak up DDA Owens!

From the quoted link:

Deputy District Attorney Wendy Owens on Wednesday said with regard to the discovery, they are still within 21 days.

“As always, the people have absolutely no intention of violating discovery rules,” she said. “Discovery will, of course, be provided to defense counsel in a timely fashion pursuant to the rules of criminal procedure. We have every intention of ensuring that defense counsel will receive everything that the defense counsel and the defendant are entitled to.”

Last edited:
If Linda Stanley reads here…and I’m sure she does not…I hope she gets her act together and files charges against Barry. I’m guessing she told Suzanne’s family “better to let him go free with the “idea” of charges later, than to lose in court. She’s losing respect by the day!

Today was Missing Persons Day in Colorado.

Although I can’t find an approved source to share here, I can say that I viewed a video clip of Suzanne Renee Morphew’s name being read on the Capitol steps this morning.

We will not forget.

Today was Missing Persons Day in Colorado.

Although I can’t find an approved source to share here, I can say that I viewed a video clip of Suzanne Renee Morphew’s name being read on the Capitol steps this morning.

We will not forget.

Thank you for sharing this @Cindizzi
We will not forget.

Suzanne on pg 3 of the list. :(

Suzanne Morphew disappeared on May 9, 2020
8E1125C1-D02D-4CE6-8B32-F901880B3A1F.jpegCredit: Facebook Suzanne Morphew

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online