Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #107

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As an aside, one reason why I don't listen to Scott R on these cases (as opposed to him talking about the law) is he boldly talks nonsense, as in this instance, where flying over the country, he can realise the prosecutor is "talking BS" about the body.

His basic "common sense" argument, is that if the prosecution knew where SM is, the snow is melted so now they can go get her and uses an example of finding the sub as an analogy

Anyone who has read the Necrosearch book knows this is nonsense.

Looking for the sub, is basically scanning the ocean floor - a completely different proposition to finding a body that is buried. As Necroseach explains, knowing generally where a body is, could still leave many 100s of square km to cover.

Sure ground penetrating radar tech, drones etc can help - but also, the prosecution does not have vast budgets for huge searches on a cold case unlike the massive resources deployed on the sub, in a known area.

The prosecutor described an investigative indication in a direction. Generally to get significant search resources, they would need a very specific lead on a small area.

Regardless of the warnings given to defendants not to talk about their case with anybody other than their attorney, WS is ripe with defendants that just can’t help themselves -- whether it be during recorded jailhouse calls or Good Morning America!

RSBM

Exactly - I think he is very poorly advised in this regard and wonder what on earth IE is playing at

The GMA you can understand as an attempt to influence a future jury, but testimony at a civil trial won't be a softball interview. And his answers will be extremely damaging, no matter how he answers.

RSBM

Exactly - I think he is very poorly advised in this regard and wonder what on earth IE is playing at

The GMA you can understand as an attempt to influence a future jury, but testimony at a civil trial won't be a softball interview. And his answers will be extremely damaging, no matter how he answers.
BBM

IKR? The whole wonderful marriage he was blabbing about in the interview is so easily proven to be a lie. Someone who only follows GMA for their true crime news might believe it, but a jury won't. The text conversations Suzanne was having with her BFF and her sister make the state of the marriage perfectly clear. BM's own interview with LE make it perfectly clear. At least one daughter expressed it.

I'm sure IE had some sort of strategy behind in that interview, but I don't understand why she thought a nationwide televised interview that he lies his way through was a good idea. When the case goes to court, that interview will be one more example of how casually BM lies.

moo

BBM

IKR? The whole wonderful marriage he was blabbing about in the interview is so easily proven to be a lie. Someone who only follows GMA for their true crime news might believe it, but a jury won't. The text conversations Suzanne was having with her BFF and her sister make the state of the marriage perfectly clear. BM's own interview with LE make it perfectly clear. At least one daughter expressed it.

I'm sure IE had some sort of strategy behind in that interview, but I don't understand why she thought a nationwide televised interview that he lies his way through was a good idea. When the case goes to court, that interview will be one more example of how casually BM lies.

moo

I think probably he already told those lies, so this is a way to influence future jurors, with not too much downside. It's also possible he is just stupid.

My guess is IE's calculus is that if SMs body is not found, then he won't be charged, and if it is found, then BM is going down in any case. So maybe it doesn't matter?

I can't get past this:

Barry had about 12 hours.

By about 3 pm, the deadly deed was likely done, by 3 am he was back on the radar, give or take. There was time for burning things -- so maybe time for going through files, deciding what to keep and what to burn and what to bring with him, time to read or not read Suzanne's journal, time to gather coolers. We know there were periods of activity by vehicle data, namely around 10pm and 3/4am. Backing up the truck, much door opening, respectively. That leaves before or after 10 pm for concealment. Was he done by 11 and did in fact sleep for 4 hours? Or did he head out sometime after 10?

If he made a beeline for a known location and it was a dump and run, why all the time? What took so long? It's that. What took so long? Did he use ff equipment and rappel into a mine? Did he dig his way into a sealed one somehow and then re-seal it? Did he seal an unsealed one and LE has walked right past it, assuming it among the counted? Did he hitch his trailer to someone else's truck, take his Bobcat with a borrowed SIM card and an auger attachment and dig, not into frozen ground, but through 10 feet of snow and bury her well above the frost line?

He was gone a long time. IMO he didn't go far, so whatever he did, it was a lot of work, it had to be.

Jmo

BBM

moo
You have to wonder if IE thought BM might be convincing enough to the public (in GMA interview) that LS would give up. Period. Intimidation? Sure will backfire.

I feel like she knew what he would say. He always comes across as a man so guilty that he is about to explode, hence holding his daughters so close. Having them give statements. Wouldn’t a real man stand on his own and just say what life was really like? It would have given the story that Suzanne ran away more credibility. (For a day or two anyway).

By now, the girls know she’s dead. She won’t walk in the door. She never wanted to leave them. Even if I thought my dad was justified because their mom had a boyfriend, that anger toward their mom sympathy for their dad would have worn off by now.

So what’s holding them? Guilt? They dug in their heels and they have enough of Barry’s DNA that they can’t tell the truth? It must be eating them up inside, especially daughter #2. (Not sure if we can say the names of the daughters yet). Or their inheritance? I believe IE is getting a lot of that.

In any case, I’m praying the case can be brought to trial with or without a body.
We just have to have a good judge. Something happened there and I won’t assign all the blame to LS. Sounds more political to me.

I can't get past this:

By about 3 pm, the deadly deed was likely done, by 3 am he was back on the radar, give or take. There was time for burning things -- so maybe time for going through files, deciding what to keep and what to burn and what to bring with him, time to read or not read Suzanne's journal, time to gather coolers. We know there were periods of activity by vehicle data, namely around 10pm and 3/4am. Backing up the truck, much door opening, respectively. That leaves before or after 10 pm for concealment. Was he done by 11 and did in fact sleep for 4 hours? Or did he head out sometime after 10?

If he made a beeline for a known location and it was a dump and run, why all the time? What took so long? It's that. What took so long? Did he use ff equipment and rappel into a mine? Did he dig his way into a sealed one somehow and then re-seal it? Did he seal an unsealed one and LE has walked right past it, assuming it among the counted? Did he hitch his trailer to someone else's truck, take his Bobcat with a borrowed SIM card and an auger attachment and dig, not into frozen ground, but through 10 feet of snow and bury her well above the frost line?

He was gone a long time. IMO he didn't go far, so whatever he did, it was a lot of work, it had to be.

Jmo
If there was a mine on BM property (PP) wouldn’t that have been known before he bought it? Could he have stumbled upon a mine on his property at PP? Would be so easy to cover it. He had time and I’m sure it was planned for awhile just in case.

Last edited:
I can't get past this:

Jmo

It's also possible he had a body disposal site prepared long before that day so it was easily accessible for him.

It's also possible he had a body disposal site prepared long before that day so it was easily accessible for him.

I think he'd know of a place to dispose of a body before he murdered Suzanne, he knew the area well - plenty of remote areas etc. and I think he could have prepared an area before hand, partially.

Think he came back that day, all in a rage 1) Suzanne was going to leave, she'd already told him she was done and 2) he was furious when she didn't reply to his messages to her about him heading home and then the follow up one of 'did you leave?' 3) reckon he arrived home and somehow saw her phone and messages and he chased her into the house - the missing towel, i think he strangled her with it and that's where the marks on his arms came from
The 4 hrs (?) gap, think he took her to the partially prepared area, spent time digging down and buried her, reckon he then left the tools he used for that hole dig at HIE for his employees. Can't help but think that whenever I see that image of him with shovels at HIE

moo

Remember that I honestly(horrified) thought she was under that cement slab.

They said he paced & worried as they dug up his work. Do you think maybe that entire surrounding area should be revisited?
He did soooo many hyper-weird-things…it’s hard to point to one and say ah-HA!

JMO

He was also at the beach site the night of May 9th about 11:30 pm. Mary Branson heard machinery, but when she opened her door, the noise stopped. What was he doing there so late at night? There was a bobcat on the property. Did he use it for something, or did he borrow the sim card? He was at that site for a reason.

BBM

moo
Well, we've certainly seen it a bunch of times, unfortunately, eek, ugh, is nothing new? Geeeerossss. The narcissistic lying liars have had their day, I think and hope LE is wise to it, and Suzanne will be found and BM will "do time" soon. jmo

I can't get past this:

Jmo
Good points, @Megnut !

I think based on my experience here following those kind of killers (husband kills wife because of issues related to separation/divorce/money/assets and she "disappears" and her remains are hard to find, on purpose)....

That he freaked out a bit, after actually killing her. Hence the 12 hours.

Early on, he may have been thinking, wow I just did what I had planned, got her alone at our house with our girls away, and did her in (sorry) and heck, I may have actually just gotten away with it.

What now to do with her body?

Then he may have panicked regarding all the spots he may have planned to dispose of her remains, and
proceeded to run through a bunch of scenarios, and he settled on a very remote spot, that was hours away.

JMO

First i think he cleaned up the crime scene. He would have been nervous of anyone arriving back.

I think he disposed of the body after dark - he might have driven up to 1hr or more with one of the vehicles e.g the ATV or even his truck with disabled telematics (we don't understand the evidence on these unfortunately)

So anywhere up to 4hrs is body disposal

Then he comes back and loads/cleans up more stuff

IE's pleadings make clear that there is some more to the case that we don't know as we've only seen the short form trial. e.g. digital evidence suggested the left turn which is how they knew to get him to confess that

I think they have investigative leads on the direction she is in. These are probably Digital from phone location info

Maybe he caught her off guard but I don’t think she was that naive. I think she was consumed with thinking of her relationship with Jeff that Saturday. I still believe she was in horror when she was murdered. I think BM let her know his plan when he got home Saturday afternoon.
Maybe, she was on her phone with JL as long as it could have lasted. Perhaps at least a little feeling for hedging by SM, although it didn't protect her in any way. After she had to stop the call, she was all alone with her worst enemy, without any witness or help.
When BM was chasing her like a chipmunk, I can imagine him, yelling at her with threats and what he would like to do to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BG89