Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #107

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for this clip @Cindizzi from the AA!

Barry said, "If this is the case, then why wouldn't we have as many thousands of Agents as they've said has been on this case, why don't we have thousands of people doing a grid search, looking for any, anything that could be a dig site, a bury site, a piece of clothing?"

I really think BM believed that by burying SM in a shallow grave within 50-mile radius, the disturbed soil would have given her resting site away, and she would have been recovered during the summer or not later than the fall.

^^rsbm

Or he planted that story in case of this day?

he might have asked that question to try to get information

This shows where her body was found

Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. We were all thinking he went to great lengths to dispose of Suzanne’s body, like a mineshaft or some pre-dug hole with his Bobcat. Nope. I’m shocked he was able to even dig a shallow grave in the first place in that earth.

Her disposal wasn’t just an afterthought, it was panic.

Attachments

• IMG_4955.jpeg
    IMG_4955.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 80
There is tons and tons of information that can be obtained from skeletal remains.
I suspect it may take some time for full analysis..

https://watermark.silverchair.com/labmed29-0423.pdf?token=AQECAHi208BE49Ooan9kkhW_Ercy7Dm3ZL_9Cf3qfKAc485ysgAAA14wggNaBgkqhkiG9w0BBwagggNLMIIDRwIBADCCA0AGCSqGSIb3DQEHATAeBglghkgBZQMEAS4wEQQMFU5OOwcZTCHg789OAgEQgIIDESfEWoqnPJvbVD7GDss1Pc4fGyiJE7v_L-yuSrTf3x4S9t4WcvBDM_Z3kTkb-YVk-KcKHv1ANj3mFpp7IvncSGtL0A9w4Zb7sy3bSfWbF3N1G2K_LG6UKoq3tMvPehxzzkFyGJJ3b05RvdpxPWJ8JUiB85y1Aj5mCPV183AUA9uHPsp_hWSrrtpEb3yAY0R4PJNMpTkpwwQWgG1Z3g5en-NGfZ9-KzDTr9v07tN87POW4R80GCKPueoKee_0PY9eIMW-jXr1mu65-OPDE5q5yqrAUAXIrX63RA4PWsfBthDqOK9LRCTPYV5scNNedTQp8twyihpukSTPm0ZxUhek_x6A-QKCVgYxUCpC3aBCdS5IYBoThXg6Pw20CZvlOn5NUIgYEMccljCnwUqCpznfDt2uOdNyIxgvIGg6a8ghd1Euvt1W-HBhSL6IadE3ZwBZe_38TV_ANBWIYHpqK7CqqRlFqK4RlMVGmtlO9ks4Hx9LYNUcRsF4IUGwlTai72kBtP9-COD1m52SEe5ZuSQ9A8YzeY7sJZqztzBih69fuexPFs9ipd_FaQoxEIG8bFnlMB1E0Yf7NKVuveBFJjb1LXtrWWxDE64g_pQbWYmW0PrawSpOVdgNQeaX2F33YAmNBUWJ9wpPYd4gUwPnTQvgoGEe9eeay0JUzf2TJazO7oacCXBCmfmD-Su-pd60EGcbHCMSQuqHDRIwbr4P8asq8u5hQCFzByvFY_S0kyRmlArnrclqBpiLVUApeBe9KkQjNJddbDgoo0sycCSpgRu0M3leX59KoB5eP5zhxlanGOQpH0WxYPVLZ0ruaBXg5q_Z_wNSWzpPsOXJwEZfKavaOqSM1fQIMYlRupPoJ-x1Q4UAxCHrg4oTpCWhBE2FvPteGh7ZH13k6_tkWSb2lXS6TB99Ky3xU5Ih9ISDUlvhslAqQFA9eyb75bXT3Adf9CkBRLdorQzEMmJxo1JA68N5ySpWV-u_bk8hBX3Z8R9KFJgWvM37E39F75Uf3ur8Ob4y1692lYjcidMd3t2_3VcpEHMJ

last link on list is most useful

Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. We were all thinking he went to great lengths to dispose of Suzanne’s body, like a mineshaft or some pre-dug hole with his Bobcat. Nope. I’m shocked he was able to even dig a shallow grave in the first place in that earth.

Sweet!

#BREAKING - Authorities confirm they have found the body of Suzanne Morphew. @CBI_Colorado says remains were found 9/22 and positively identified 9/27. Morphew had been missing since 2020. Remains were discovered during an unrelated search. More info coming from @CBSNewsColorado

What a sad day, but wow, what a relief for Suzanne's siblings and friends.
Rest in Peace Suzanne, hopefully the truth come to light x

Moo

In comparison, the 11th Judicial District Court is comprised of combined courts in four counties Chaffee (Salida, CO), Custer (Westcliffe, CO), Fremont (Canon City, CO), and Park (Fairplay, CO), and the 12th Judicial District where Suzanne Morphew's remains were recovered on 9/27/23, is made up of combined courts in six counties including Alamosa, Conejos, Costilla (San Luis, CO), Mineral (Creede, CO), Rio Grande (Del Norte, CO), and Saguache, counties, and serves a population of approximately 46,976 people.

I know we are hearing that since the body was recovered in Moffat, CO which is located in the 12th Judicial District, the criminal case will be prosecuted here. However, I'm questioning if this is true if SM was murdered in Chaffee County and/or the 11th Judicial District. Wouldn't the case be prosecuted in the District where the murder occurred?

For example, Gannon Stauch was recovered in Florida but his trial was conducted in El Paso County District Court (Fourth Judicial District) where he was murdered.

ETA: Interesting -- DA Anne Kelly was appointed DA for the 12th Judicial District in Aug 2022 by Gov Polis after a shake-up in the district where the elected prosecutor resigned from office as he was being recalled.

Last edited:
I was excited early today when I heard the news. Now that the news has settled in on me I wondering like many others what this does to the case. A DA earlier was willing to try BM without a body so the mere discovery of a body proving she is deceased I don't believe is going to be enough. I'm wondering the coroner and forensics staff are going to be able to get from the site. Cause of death? Clothing? Blanket or sheet the body was wrapped in? I can just bet there won't be cycling clothing/shoes or her Camelbak.

In comparison, the 11th Judicial District Court is comprised of combined courts in four counties Chaffee (Salida, CO), Custer (Westcliffe, CO), Fremont (Canon City, CO), and Park (Fairplay, CO), and the 12th Judicial District where Suzanne Morphew's remains were recovered on 9/27/23, is made up of combined courts in six counties including Alamosa, Conejos, Costilla (San Luis, CO), Mineral (Creede, CO), Rio Grande (Del Norte, CO), and Saguache, counties, and serves a population of approximately 46,976 people.

I know we are hearing that since the body was recovered in Moffat, CO which is located in the 12th Judicial District, the criminal case will be prosecuted here. However, I'm questioning if this is true if SM was murdered in Chaffee County and/or the 11th Judicial District. Wouldn't the case be prosecuted in the District where the murder occurred?

For example, Gannon Stauch was recovered in Florida but his trial was conducted in El Paso County District Court (Fourth Judicial District) where he was murdered.
I wonder whether Linda Stanley has enough time?
Assuming the remains unearth evidence of murder?
They will, for sure, she didn't bury herself...

C'mon, Linda, get your leathers on and go get him good!

I’ve always thought it would be prosecuted in the jurisdiction where the offense occurred, but not sure now.

In Gannon’s case, his murderer was already charged and jailed in El Paso County about 3 weeks prior to his body being found. JMO

Thanks for this clip @Cindizzi from the AA!

Barry said, "If this is the case, then why wouldn'tQwaaQAgents as they've said has behttps://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/no-harm-no-foul-cops-decline-charge-man-stuck-basketball-n353536en on this case, why don't we have thousands of people doing a grid search, looking for any, anything that could be a dig site, a bury site, a piece of clothing?"

I really think BM believed that by burying SM in a shallow grave within 50-mile radius, the disturbed soil would have given her resting site away, and she would have been recovered during the summer or not later than the fall.

Llkpĺlĺk
^^rsbm

JMO. I don't think BM expected her to be found. The whole case hinged on BM knowing there was an affair, and likely, expecting that SM's media exchanged with the man would be found in the course of the investigation. And in the mail exchanges, she discussed moving to Mexico or AZ, something about health insurance. Much as BM peddled the abduction angle, I personally can imagine a juror thinking, could this beautiful woman disappear and start her life anew?

Now this option has closed. SM being abducted to be sexploited, as BM hinted, is also out of question. The question will be onlyone: who murdered her. You are right, BM buried her close to MJ fields, so now he is going to spin this story, all the more so that he publicly called his disappeared wife an addict. But hopefully he made mistakes, or maybe there will be more information coming from collateral sources. Fingers crossed.

So how does this fit in the timeline then?

I think you are right - he was in a rush and couldn't dig deep, so he was relying on the vastness of the landscape to keep her.

Wouldn't be surprised if just like McStay, an animal has dug up the grave - this is how the family were found.

Amateur error.

Melinda (sister) said Barry was the first one informed.

“Moorman Balzer said Suzanne's husband Barry Morphew was the first person notified that his wife's remains had been positively identified because he was next of kin.”

That's interesting, if true that his attorney didn't know until a reporter called her. Wouldn't Barry have told his attorney immediately? Guess not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member