Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #108

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

From thread # 107, post # 1,098 w/attachments :

"...Remember when BM was caught going through the trash at the Poncha Market at 8:00 pm on 5/12/20, two days after SM went missing? The Market was closed, but the employees were still on the premises. After he was caught rifling in the trash, he knocked on the window and told the employees that his wife was missing and made a hastily scrawled note on the back of a receipt:
Baby Blue bike
helmet
biking clothing
He didn’t even include a description of SM.
I’ve always wondered about what he was doing there that night. That day SM’s brother, AM, was in town to help search along with several others who had flown in with him. BM had slipped away from everyone. He was up to no good.

The Poncha Market is right off Highway 285, the road to Moffat...."

@OldCop : Thanks for posting the map and photo.!

Very chilling to think of BM possibly burying his wife even as her brother and others were searching for her.

Heartbreaking as well.

I'm betting she was found in those biking clothes , if any clothing is left ?

Eta : And if you think about it, he described what was later 'planted'.
So I'm thinking she was buried with those exact clothes ?

Omo.

Attachments

• IMG_0062.jpeg
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1506.jpeg
    IMG_1506.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
IIRC the Ford Truck, 2 Range Rovers and the quad.

I think we speculated back in the day that he might have taken the older RR without telematics.

It's likely he tried to disable the Ford Telematics but was likely unsuccessful.
I think you possibly have to widen the circle to understand any other vehicles that may have been accessible to him. He looked after/ploughed/prop management, his neighbors place when they were not there. I cannot remember their name. SD was their cleaning lady and the daughter's name is Gusty. My bet is that there were cars/trucks of some sort available there right across the river from his place in Monarch eatates. Worth a look by LE.
JMO

IIRC the Ford Truck, 2 Range Rovers and the quad.

I think we speculated back in the day that he might have taken the older RR without telematics.

It's likely he tried to disable the Ford Telematics but was likely unsuccessful.
Plus the neighbors who were out of state. I'd say he had full access to their vehicles, including ATVs, including towing capacity. Plus any vehicles left at worksites and the fire camp.

He may have employed quite a bit of vehicle jockeying.

JMO

I think you possibly have to widen the circle to understand any other vehicles that may have been accessible to him. He looked after/ploughed/prop management, his neighbors place when they were not there. I cannot remember their name. SD was their cleaning lady and the daughter's name is Gusty. My bet is that there were cars/trucks of some sort available there right across the river from his place in Monarch eatates. Worth a look by LE.
JMO
I always had the thought there might be an old truck or two, possibly dump truck at his place in Salida.

Sad and astonishing news, that would seem to out to rest various claims over the years by the BM Crew that SM might have run off to find herself / with another man /been trafficked / blah blah blah.

Instead she is found in a shallow grave not far from where she was very likely murdered / grievously attacked, buried with exactly the amount of care, respect and attention to detail we'd expect from someone who failed to see her as she was in life.

I note the weasel phrase "from what we know" in the IE response. Yes, IE -- from what we know, BM is EXACTLY as innocent as on Day 1 -- i.e., not innocent in any way, shape or form.

Good vibes to the friends and family that love her. It's a tough way to welcome someone home, but welcomed she will be.

Some key truck times for ref (telematics data)
- 18.56 - Beginning of misc truck driveway activity over next 3 hours
- 21.52 - end of truck activity
- 3.25am. Truck activated
- 3.49am - Truck leaves PP
- 8.10am - Arrives RTD bus stop
I would say the big time gap was between 10pm and 3am - that is 5 hours when he has no known activity

Excellent timeline. Thank you so much. And to whoever posted the picture of BM walking into his hotel in Broomfield with a SHOVEL in his hand - thank you.

He had plenty of time to go to Moffat (and had been there before, IMO - for elk hunting). Outside of hunting season, there are probably very people out in those fields. Suzanne's stepbrother recalled that BM was one of the strongest men he knew; he said BM was capable of carrying a deer across his shoulders for long distances and in difficult terrain.

BM would have been amped up on adrenalin. It's also possible that he was taking anabolic steroids at the time, given how different he looks after time spent in jail. This is entirely speculation on my part and I need to re-look at pictures of BM over time - I could be way off/wrong. But not about the adrenalin.

Didn't we learn that Barry took a shower in the hotel room intended for his employees? And that he may have laid on top of the bed covers for a nap? I can't recall how we know this, so I hope someone refreshes my mind (and those of newcomers) as to what was going on at that hotel.

It doesn't surprise me at all that he knew a place almost an hour away from his house, where he knew that few people (except hunters) might go.

IMO.

Agree - I think its safe to say that LS won't be the lead prosecutor/head of the case given her legal woes. I don't think its a problem for her though since she has already announced she is leaving at the end of her term. IMO she cannot wait to get out of there. Totally works for everybody
JMO
It would be far far better if she brought it home, linda Stanley, i mean.
She KNOWS the case.

i'm trying to figure out when her term ends?

I have a feeling she started in January so I'm not sure if there's just between now and 3 months?

Thing is, they are prepared already..
If someone new has to start from nothing at all it will be several years down the road..

My hope is that the shovel that Barry is seen bringing into the hotel...is part of evidence right now. I assume all those tools were collected. He may have cleaned them well before leaving them in the lobby - but given Barry's state of tidiness and attention to detail, probably not.

At any rate, a soil expert would be able to say whether the shovel was used in similar soil as that where Suzanne was found.

I just wish they could find microscopic particles of the specific soil from near Moffat.

I had not realized that cadaver dogs hit on Barry's truck (the one he will soon sell, in order to buy another one almost exactly like it).

It will be very interesting to see how BM and daughters organize a funeral. Will they be there for her burial in full mourning? Will there even be a funeral? Will it be organized by Suzanne's faithful friends and not BM? Will IE attend? Will SD? Whole situation is mind-bogglingly crazy and morbid.

It would be far far better if she brought it home, linda Stanley, i mean.
She KNOWS the case.

i'm trying to figure out when her term ends?

I have a feeling she started in January so I'm not sure if there's just between now and 3 months?

Thing is, they are prepared already..
If someone new has to start from nothing at all it will be several years down the road..
All good points @kittythehare
I suppose my own speculation would be that LS would work closely with the new lead until her departure to facilitate transitioning the case, and also I assume that LS's team who were involved with the case would continue on with the new person - whether a special prosecutor or the DA from the 12th. Kind of "on loan" to the new person for the case - But I obvi have no idea - . But I agree consistency and case knowledge is needed - but there is a also imo a lot of value to adding a new lead who is not a lightening rod for controversy, who has a a new set of strategic eyes and no baggage

JMO

My hope is that the shovel that Barry is seen bringing into the hotel...is part of evidence right now. I assume all those tools were collected. He may have cleaned them well before leaving them in the lobby - but given Barry's state of tidiness and attention to detail, probably not.

At any rate, a soil expert would be able to say whether the shovel was used in similar soil as that where Suzanne was found.

I just wish they could find microscopic particles of the specific soil from near Moffat.

I had not realized that cadaver dogs hit on Barry's truck (the one he will soon sell, in order to buy another one almost exactly like it).

It will be very interesting to see how BM and daughters organize a funeral. Will they be there for her burial in full mourning? Will there even be a funeral? Will it be organized by Suzanne's faithful friends and not BM? Will IE attend? Will SD? Whole situation is mind-bogglingly crazy and morbid.
IIRC The speculation at the time was that BM had perhaps brought the tools in to the hotel room bathtub to clean and that was where the bleach smell came from and hence all the wet towels on the floor etc. Whether anything was saved? Anyone's guess. JMO

Jeff Puckett's interview with the DM, as re-told by NY Post.

“I got there Sunday night and the room smelled like chlorine real bad,” Puckett, 49, of Salida, told the outlet. “It was his room and he’d taken a shower — his towels were all over the floor.”

A manager at the hotel, where rooms go for as little as $92, said workers do not use chlorine to clean rooms. Security footage from the hotel from the weekend of Morphew’s disappearance has since been turned over to FBI investigators, according to the report.

For some reason I thought there was a cadaver dog hit at his property in Salida. After a little searching I found this post; the article linked in the post has the details of the cadaver dog hits at his Salida property. :

CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #62 *ARREST*

So, I wonder if he may have switched into another vehicle. Like an old landscaping truck

All good points @kittythehare
I suppose my own speculation would be that LS would work closely with the new lead until her departure to facilitate transitioning the case, and also I assume that LS's team who were involved with the case would continue on with the new person - whether a special prosecutor or the DA from the 12th. Kind of "on loan" to the new person for the case - But I obvi have no idea - . But I agree consistency and case knowledge is needed - but there is a also imo a lot of value to adding a new lead who is not a lightening rod for controversy, who has a a new set of strategic eyes and no baggage

JMO
That might be true had she not been set up to fail.
fact is, she took a dangerous man off the streets long after it needed doing.

Going down the rabbit hole of forensic bone tox studies is encouraging. Good vibes and prayers with all the gatherers & scientists on this case.

Also, am glad to see people calling out MSM for perpetuation of the bogus “bike ride” & “partial DNA” narratives on TwitX.

He had plenty of time to go to Moffat (and had been there before, IMO - for elk hunting). Outside of hunting season, there are probably very people out in those fields. Suzanne's stepbrother recalled that BM was one of the strongest men he knew; he said BM was capable of carrying a deer across his shoulders for long distances and in difficult terrain.

IMO.

As someone who has dragged a lot of deer out of the woods, I find this extremely impressive, almost to the point of being hard to believe. Probably less than 0.1% of men would be able to do this.

Edited to add, for those who don't hunt: carrying a whole carcass on ones shoulders is not the same as quartering the animal in the field, and putting the pieces in a backpack for removal to camp or to a truck. Many physically fit men could do the latter, but carrying the whole carcass of a 120-to-300-pound animal by yourself is challenging, even after gutting. The bulky size is awkward, and the head, bones and hide weigh quite a lot. Further, it is dangerous, as someone carrying a whole carcass might get shot by a careless hunter who mistakes him for a deer.

Someone who could actually do this, would certainly be able to carry the carcass of a women the size of Suzanne.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member