Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #108

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming there is additional evidence and murderer is identified and prosecuted. I realize BM was charged previously, but I thought the evidence was very thin and the prosecution did not end well for the state of Colorado. It seems people were as motivated by dislike of BM as a person as anything else. JMO
This is an older post, but no, the evidence only points one way, and it is not fueled by a dislike of Barry. In fact, I’d argue the opposite, that evidence is ignored because people find something likable about him.

Innocent people have no reason to lie about anything, and Barry lied about everything.

She asks for a divorce, and he tells investigators they have the perfect marriage.

She goes dark forever when he's the only one there, and he tells an insane story about that night that is contradicted by his phone, her phone, his truck, and his own conflicting stories. Then her phone last pings just before he left the house.

Then he drives to Broomfield for no reason, dumps trash, spends hours in his hotel, lies about his movements, lies to the Ritters when they call him (before he should have known a crime was committed, he lied, saying he was at the wall with his workers), he lies to CBI multiple times, and is literally caught on camera staging his alibi.

He admits to a frantic event in the backyard, confirms he used a tranquilizer (deer antler lie), places himself at the helmet location, deletes texts, and lies some more.

One of my favorite lies is when he said he and Suzanne had lunch together, eating veggie soup, which was actually a day or two before.

His phone, his truck data, and Suzanne's texts to JL about being alone, soundly refute this. Further evidence comes from a phone call Barry placed to Suzanne shortly after leaving, which makes no sense as they just spent a couple hours together.

To explain all of this, Barry claims he was looking for a long dead turkey in the backyard.

All of his lies are blown apart by multiple pieces of evidence, and every single one must be believed in order for Barry to be
innocent.

So you'd have to believe Barry was chasing chipmunks, looking for a turkey corpse, framed by a herd of elk that don’t herd that time of year, shooting deer that don't even have antlers to saw their antlers off, and looking for a bear or coyote in the darkness when Suzanne's Facebook requests went out.

Even then there are other pieces of evidence that must be explained:

You'd have to believe Barry and Suzanne breaking all established digital patterns means nothing (she is completely quiet and his location event count is off the charts)

That Suzanne went on a bike ride in a strange location that she had never ridden, without things she would always bring, and with a powered down cell phone that she never bothered to check on Mother's Day, with her daughters traveling home, on the day of her best friend's daughter’s wedding.

Barry had had the motive, means, and opportunity. He tells us why he did it, and he tells us how he justified it to himself.

Basically, "God judges Suzanne for cheating, and I had every right to do it."

Barry is a pathological liar, a fake Christian, a confirmed abuser (psychologically controlled Suzanne via threats of suicide), and a killer.

He just got one thing right...

UPDATE: Nope, he screwed that up too.

Am I looking at the map correctly, Suzanne's body was found 30ish miles from where Edna was last seen. Why were they looking for Edna there?
Exactly- there is really no good reason to be looking for an older lady who was hiking 30 miles away in that field where the bones were found. Maybe there is but it isn't obvious. I posted the same earlier because I wonder if this wasn't as much an accidental discovery as it is being presented. Remember that it is very common for LE to search an area with a complete intact body out in the open and miss it after multiple searches. But they walk into this random field and find scattered bones from a high profile case on the first try? OK. Maybe.

This is an older post, but no, the evidence only points one way, and it is not fueled by a dislike of Barry. In fact, I’d argue the opposite, that evidence is ignored because people find something likable about him.

Innocent people have no reason to lie about anything, and Barry lied about everything.

She asks for a divorce, and he tells investigators they have the perfect marriage.

She goes dark forever when he's the only one there, and he tells an insane story about that night that is contradicted by his phone, her phone, his truck, and his own conflicting stories. Then her phone last pings just before he left the house.

Then he drives to Broomfield for no reason, dumps trash, spends hours in his hotel, lies about his movements, lies to the Ritters when they call him (before he should have known a crime was committed, he lied, saying he was at the wall with his workers), he lies to CBI multiple times, and is literally caught on camera staging his alibi.

He admits to a frantic event in the backyard, confirms he used a tranquilizer (deer antler lie), places himself at the helmet location, deletes texts, and lies some more.

One of my favorite lies is when he said he and Suzanne had lunch together, eating veggie soup, which was actually a day or two before.

His phone, his truck data, and Suzanne's texts to JL about being alone, soundly refute this. Further evidence comes from a phone call Barry placed to Suzanne shortly after leaving, which makes no sense as they just spent a couple hours together.

To explain all of this, Barry claims he was looking for a long dead turkey in the backyard.

All of his lies are blown apart by multiple pieces of evidence, and every single one must be believed in order for Barry to be
innocent.

So you'd have to believe Barry was chasing chipmunks, looking for a turkey corpse, framed by a herd of elk that don’t here that time of year, shooting deer that don't even have antlers to saw their antlers off, and looking for a bear or coyote in the darkness when Suzanne's Facebook requests went out.

Even then there are other pieces of evidence that must be explained:

You'd have to believe Barry and Suzanne breaking all established digital patterns means nothing (she is completely quiet and his location event count is off the charts)

That Suzanne went on a bike ride in a strange location that she had never ridden, without things she would always bring, and with a powered down cell phone that she never bothered to check on Mother's Day, with her daughters traveling home, on the day of her best friend's daughter’s wedding.

Barry had had the motive, means, and opportunity. He tells us why he did it, and he tells us how he justified it to himself.

Basically, "God judges Suzanne for cheating, and I had every right to do it."

Barry is a pathological liar, a fake Christian, a confirmed abuser (psychologically controlled Suzanne via threats of suicide), and a killer.

He just got one thing right...

UPDATE: Nope, he screwed that up too.

Thanks for reminding me of all this. It is rather overwhelming.

Exactly- there is really no good reason to be looking for an older lady who was hiking 30 miles away in that field where the bones were found. Maybe there is but it isn't obvious. I posted the same earlier because I wonder if this wasn't as much an accidental discovery as it is being presented. Remember that it is very common for LE to search an area with a complete intact body out in the open and miss it after multiple searches. But they walk into this random field and find scattered bones from a high profile case on the first try? OK. Maybe.
Possibly someone found bones and called the tipline for Edna.

JMO

I don't think she was dead until he got her to the gravesite. I think he tranquilized her and finished the job at burial.
That would have eliminated a risk of cadaverine from his vehicle(s)

Agent Johnny Grusing of the CBI told the court that the animal tranquilizer it contained would have knocked Suzanne out in around 10 minutes and then caused breathing difficulties and hypoxia.

Grusing said the heavy breathing caused by the drug would have sounded like snoring. Barry repeatedly told investigators that the last sound he heard from his wife was 'light snoring'.

I was thrilled to see the news yesterday for Suzanne's family and friends. I can't imagine the "not knowing" whether she was dead or alive and not knowing where she was. I'm not surprised news still says "went for a bike ride"...Conjecture says she didn't but it isn't disproved and finding her body in an unlikely location in a shallow grave can only support the conundrum. Once more for the choir...I have always thought there was another party involved in the end and that Barry genuinely did not know where she was located. This location where Suzanne was makes me even more suspicious. Plus there's a back way from Maysville to where she was located which easily could account for the helmet west of the home. How fortuitous that they found her on accident while looking for someone else. I think investigators have more work to do to pull another case together especially now and I fervently hope that the autopsy reveals some clues that help the case become clearer. Do I think an re-arrest of Barry is imminent. No. But this case has been full of surprises. Oh and it will be very interesting what happens with the civil case...not helpful that prosecutors claimed to be fairly certain where Suzanne was located but couldn't "get to her"..."if" there is an arrest and trial my money is it will happen in the 12th and not the 11th district.

Poor Suzanne, two men in her life that she seemed to care about and neither one treated her well. Lover should have come forward when she was first reported missing, I'll never forget that. Husband was the worst.

Discovery of Suzanne's remains and grave, even if cleared of bones, will reveal a motherlode of discovery IMO.

Remnants of cloth or zero remnants -- compelling either way.

Her port -- maybe gold.

Any preserved impression within the gravesite itself.

Any residue of animal sedative in bone, in the port, in the soil.

How the grave was dug. Spade, hand trowel, machine.

Any digital forensics pairing BM to that location before, during or after.

And the prospect of a few hold-out supporters losing favor with the the mountain of lies now coming forward with what they know...

It'll take a while because of toxicology but somebody better enjoy his steak as much as possible because it's only a matter of time until it's his last one.

JMO

that rumour was dismissed thoroughly a long time ago.
Pool was closed because of Covid.

It doesn't matter who touched the tools.
it only matters whether analysis of the tools showed anything significant to the investigation.
There is CCTV footage of him bringing tools in motel.
A pool being closed means no one allowed to swim It doesn’t mean drained or not maintained. Leaving it drained for any amount of time can cause structural damage.

moo and a simple google search.

Just some interesting notes to remember. I am editing to include copy/paste of the tweets because they aren't showing up in the post. The links are down below.

On May 9, 2020 - The telematics of his truck and phone were correlating with what #Barrymorphew was saying. He went to Tail winds property around 11 then went home around 11:30 a.m. to eat veggie soup with Suzanne.

#barrymorphew allegedly left around 1:30 makes a few calls checks out a job at Kim Gyms in Salida. Then returned home around 2:44 p.m.

At 4:44 #BarryMorphew Truck door opens and closes. At 9:25 p.m. the gear shift goes from park to reverse and moves backward in the driveway 95 feet at the Morphew home off of Puma Path in Maysville, CO.

At 5:33 p.m. truck said power was removed and system reboot.

At 10:17 p.m. on May 9, #BarryMorphew phone is taken off of Airplane mode and it was at the home. At 3:25 am Barry's truck doors were open and closed. The phone moved toward where the bike was found, according to Agent Grusing.

11:06 AM · Aug 10, 2021

Last edited:
My hope is that the shovel that Barry is seen bringing into the hotel...is part of evidence right now. I assume all those tools were collected. He may have cleaned them well before leaving them in the lobby - but given Barry's state of tidiness and attention to detail, probably not.

At any rate, a soil expert would be able to say whether the shovel was used in similar soil as that where Suzanne was found.

I just wish they could find microscopic particles of the specific soil from near Moffat.

I had not realized that cadaver dogs hit on Barry's truck (the one he will soon sell, in order to buy another one almost exactly like it).

It will be very interesting to see how BM and daughters organize a funeral. Will they be there for her burial in full mourning? Will there even be a funeral? Will it be organized by Suzanne's faithful friends and not BM? Will IE attend? Will SD? Whole situation is mind-bogglingly crazy and morbid.
One of Suzanne’s father’s last wishes was that she would be buried next to her mother. I certainly hope that her family is able to do that. And, I don’t mean BM and his daughters…

Intersting section here:

"Eytan and other sources close to the investigation confirmed that GPS from Morphew’s truck and cellphone evidence from his phone show that he was not in Saguache on May 9th or 10 — the weekend Morphew went missing."

Perhaps there is an accomplice
He didn't have to use his own truck. Why would he? Nor would he have to take his cell phone.

Intersting section here:

"Eytan and other sources close to the investigation confirmed that GPS from Morphew’s truck and cellphone evidence from his phone show that he was not in Saguache on May 9th or 10 — the weekend Morphew went missing."

Perhaps there is an accomplice
Or a different vehicle.

He knew to leave his phone and truck at home.

Jmo

BBM

Now that Suzanne Morphew’s remains have been located, the three-plus-year-old case takes on new life and perhaps even starts over with a new team of investigators joining the original group. Previously, investigators from the Chaffee County Sheriff’… 1:01PM. • 9/28/23

[…]

The discovery of her remains in Saguache, a bordering county to where she was originally thought to be located, brings in a new law enforcement body — namely the Saguache County Sheriffs.

[…]

It will become a joint effort between every investigative agency which has any interest in the case,” Saguache County Sheriff Dan Warwick told The Denver Gazette Thursday. “I don’t know that this is starting over, but I can say that we are getting fresh eyes on the case.”

The lead FBI investigator who wrote the 130-page arrest affidavit has retired and now works for the Douglas County Schools as director of safety and security. Jonny Grusing, a cracker-jack detective has been an integral force in investigating numerous Colorado murder cases. That includes Dylan Redwine, whose bones were also found after years of going missing. Grusing has continued to advise on the case, sources close to the investigation have told The Denver Gazette.
[…]

“The family is in shock,” said Morphew’s attorney Iris Eytan. She said that as Suzanne’s next of kin, Barry Morphew was notified that his wife’s remains had been found by the coroner and that he was so stunned, he could not recall the conversation.

[..]

There next days will be filled with meetings between investigators regarding the case, according to Sheriff Warwick. He admits that his department is “tremendously smaller than Chaffee County,” which has been in charge of the investigation into Morphew’s death from the beginning, and took it over again when the case was dismissed in April 2022.

But that doesn’t sway him.

“I don’t give a damn what it takes. I’ll make it happen. Whatever it takes we’ll make it work and the commissioners will pay the bill,” he said.

More at link:

One of Suzanne’s father’s last wishes was that she would be buried next to her mother. I certainly hope that her family is able to do that. And, I don’t mean BM and his daughters…
That's what is bothering me right now.
I feel it's absolutely imperative her remains are returned to her Moorman family but I think bM will claim rights and use it as a circus to promote his innocence etc..

EBM - The article has now changed and does not mention 2 sets of remains. I’m leaving the post in case there were 2 sets of remains and LE requested the change for investigation reasons.

This article states,”Morphew and a second person’s remains were found scattered in a dry, high-desert field south of the town of Moffat Friday, Sept. 22.”

Did I just miss that they found 2 sets of remains there on the 22nd? This is the first I heard of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member