Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #108

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Intersting section here:

"Eytan and other sources close to the investigation confirmed that GPS from Morphew’s truck and cellphone evidence from his phone show that he was not in Saguache on May 9th or 10 — the weekend Morphew went missing."

Perhaps there is an accomplice
I am more inclined to think that he left his phone at home after taking it out of airplane mode so it would be very clear he was "home", but he also said he went to bed earlier like 8 or 9 I think it was and then we see his truck doors opening and closing and his phone coming out of airplane mode after 10pm. So how was he sleeping doing all that? I think he left his truck home also because he knew it would track him. He messed with the data thing earlier also. I think he was trying to figure out how to disable the tracker, but decided he wasn't sure if it worked so he took a different car.

This article states,”Morphew and a second person’s remains were found scattered in a dry, high-desert field south of the town of Moffat Friday, Sept. 22.”

Did I just miss that they found 2 sets of remains there on the 22nd? This is the first I heard of it.
I know they found a male earlier in their search for Edna, but not on the 22nd of Sept.

BBM

Now that Suzanne Morphew’s remains have been located, the three-plus-year-old case takes on new life and perhaps even starts over with a new team of investigators joining the original group. Previously, investigators from the Chaffee County Sheriff’… 1:01PM. • 9/28/23

[…]

The discovery of her remains in Saguache, a bordering county to where she was originally thought to be located, brings in a new law enforcement body — namely the Saguache County Sheriffs.

[…]

It will become a joint effort between every investigative agency which has any interest in the case,” Saguache County Sheriff Dan Warwick told The Denver Gazette Thursday. “I don’t know that this is starting over, but I can say that we are getting fresh eyes on the case.”

The lead FBI investigator who wrote the 130-page arrest affidavit has retired and now works for the Douglas County Schools as director of safety and security. Jonny Grusing, a cracker-jack detective has been an integral force in investigating numerous Colorado murder cases. That includes Dylan Redwine, whose bones were also found after years of going missing. Grusing has continued to advise on the case, sources close to the investigation have told The Denver Gazette.
[…]

“The family is in shock,” said Morphew’s attorney Iris Eytan. She said that as Suzanne’s next of kin, Barry Morphew was notified that his wife’s remains had been found by the coroner and that he was so stunned, he could not recall the conversation.

[..]

There next days will be filled with meetings between investigators regarding the case, according to Sheriff Warwick. He admits that his department is “tremendously smaller than Chaffee County,” which has been in charge of the investigation into Morphew’s death from the beginning, and took it over again when the case was dismissed in April 2022.

But that doesn’t sway him.

“I don’t give a damn what it takes. I’ll make it happen. Whatever it takes we’ll make it work and the commissioners will pay the bill,” he said.

More at link:

• Was Suzanne Morphew kidnapped? Was Suzanne Morphew murdered? If so, how did she die? What happened during her final hours?
  • If she was murdered, where was she killed? That location could determine which jurisdiction prosecutes the unsolved case.
  • Was there more than one person involved in Mrs. Morphew’s disappearance?
  • Who does the second set of remains — which were discovered the same day as Mrs. Morphew's — belong to? Was that person murdered? Did it happen at roughly the same time?
  • Will the old guard which has been investigating the case for more than three years be able to put egos aside and play nicely with new agencies, specifically the Saguache County Sheriff’s office, which will now likely be brought in to piece her last hours together?
Second set of remains??

[…]

Morphew and a second person’s remains were found scattered in a dry, high-desert field south of the town of Moffat Friday, Sept. 22. Mrs. Morphew’s remains are currently at the El Paso County Coroner’s office where an autopsy is being performed, according to Saguache County Coroner Tom Perrin.
The discovery of her remains in Saguache, a bordering county to where she was originally thought to be located, brings in a new law enforcement body — namely the Saguache County Sheriffs.

[…]

“It will become a joint effort between every investigative agency which has any interest in the case,” Saguache County Sheriff Dan Warwick told The Denver Gazette Thursday. “I don’t know that this is starting over, but I can say that we are getting fresh eyes on the case.”
The lead FBI investigator who wrote the 130-page arrest affidavit has retired and now works for the Douglas County Schools as director of safety and security. Jonny Grusing, a cracker-jack detective has been an integral force in investigating numerous Colorado murder cases. That includes Dylan Redwine, whose bones were also found after years of going missing. Grusing has continued to advise on the case, sources close to the investigation have told The Denver Gazette.

[…]

Thanks @osu from the article in the gazette ;

"Morphew and a second person’s remains were found scattered in a dry, high-desert field south of the town of Moffat Friday, Sept. 22. Mrs. Morphew’s remains are currently at the El Paso County Coroner’s office where an autopsy is being performed, according to Saguache County Coroner Tom Perrin.

<modsnip - only 10% or less of an article may be quoted; please see link for the remainder of the article>

Last edited by a moderator:
Intersting section here:

"Eytan and other sources close to the investigation confirmed that GPS from Morphew’s truck and cellphone evidence from his phone show that he was not in Saguache on May 9th or 10 — the weekend Morphew went missing."

Perhaps there is an accomplice

Could be an accomplice, but I've believed all along that the older SUV they had (without GPS) was the "accomplice."

So he went to Moffat in that older vehicle, buried Suzanne (I do think he killed her at the burial site). It's possible he had an ATV (I wish we knew). He must have been so worried that someone spotted him out in that remote place, but it's unlikely that anyone did, in the middle of the night - and he would have just looked like another Joe, going to work or play out in that area.

Speculation, of course.

This article states,”Morphew and a second person’s remains were found scattered in a dry, high-desert field south of the town of Moffat Friday, Sept. 22.”

Did I just miss that they found 2 sets of remains there on the 22nd? This is the first I heard of it.
There was this person but they were found July 26. I'm finding it hard to believe reporter Carol McKinley would get this wrong. I guess we'll learn more as time goes on.

The skeletal remains were found in the foothills west of Saguache Peak off County Road 46AA when the Saguache County Sheriff’s Office was searching for Edna Quintana.

“The remains are believed to be that of a male, approximately 5 foot 9 inches tall, with a pants size of 36Wx30L and not connected to Quintana,” the release from the CBI said.

That's what is bothering me right now.
I feel it's absolutely imperative her remains are returned to her Moorman family but I think bM will claim rights and use it as a circus to promote his innocence etc..
Hopefully the coroner will be able to hold on to Suzannes remains as evidence until a trial is over. If and when BM gets convicted they can then hand all over to her daughter's who hopefully would honor their grandfathers wishes. Lots more to be revealed -
It all brings up the senselessness of killing her in the first place for me - and just what a terrible situation this is
JMO

There was this person but they were found July 26. I'm finding it hard to believe reporter Carol McKinley would get this wrong. I guess we'll learn more as time goes on.

The skeletal remains were found in the foothills west of Saguache Peak off County Road 46AA when the Saguache County Sheriff’s Office was searching for Edna Quintana.

“The remains are believed to be that of a male, approximately 5 foot 9 inches tall, with a pants size of 36Wx30L and not connected to Quintana,” the release from the CBI said.
James "Jay" Montoya's body was found in Saguache County in July. No arrests have been made in the case.

So they found him in July and in the area where Edna went missing 30 miles away from Suzanne was found. So was there indeed another body where Suzanne was found? So curious

Could be an accomplice, but I've believed all along that the older SUV they had (without GPS) was the "accomplice."

So he went to Moffat in that older vehicle, buried Suzanne (I do think he killed her at the burial site). It's possible he had an ATV (I wish we knew). He must have been so worried that someone spotted him out in that remote place, but it's unlikely that anyone did, in the middle of the night - and he would have just looked like another Joe, going to work or play out in that area.

Speculation, of course.
At this point, I wouldn't put it past him to have dug her up from a different grave and re-buried her in a place where he knew other missing persons were being found.

That's what is bothering me right now.
I feel it's absolutely imperative her remains are returned to her Moorman family but I think bM will claim rights and use it as a circus to promote his innocence etc..

I don't think it is in the near cards. The LE needs to work this case carefully. So it is important but won't be imperative or ASAP.

I did not have BearBear as a serial killer on my bingo card.
I didn't mean to suggest that.

Perhaps he'd stumbled across a shallow grave during his elk hunting forays. What a great way to disappear a body. Double decker.

But again, I think he dug that grave that night.

I'll be shocked if there were a second set of bones interspersed and scattered alongside hers....

But then I've been shocked before.

JMO

Speculation, of course.
I think you're right that it had to be in the middle of the night. If he did take the other truck he is a lot smarter than I have given him credit for.

I have a similar scenario in mind for what happened. I think he came home and she was outside and they started pushing each other's buttons, as waring couples do, and he shot her with the dart in a fit of rage. I don't think she did die right away, but it must have incapacitated her very quickly because there was no SOS text message... "OMG he shot me with a dart"... and no 911 call attempt. She just went dark.

I am surprised by that big open field. You're very exposed there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay