Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #108

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would also note that, while it isn't hugely difficult to remove a port (some of my patients have managed it, more than once) to do so would be an intimate and destructive act, that someone like BM who seems to have largely pushed aside SM's diagnoses and treatment, might have wanted to avoid. I suspect the port disturbed him, as a literal locus point for the disease and the origin point of her freedom from him -- her "choices" to investigate therapeutic cannabis, etc., might have all been associated with it.

This is someone who who could dress a deer in 15 seconds, blah blah blah, but who was IMO irritated and likely disgusted with SM's illness and the weakness associated with it.

JMO, of course.
You said this so well. People with a personality like BM come across as a tough guy, and only care about their wives fulfilling their sexual needs or their tummies. Truth is , they are very insecure. Their wives are sometimes abused emotionally for years before the physical abuse begins. They are bullies, always sounding tough. If a wife cries or gets emotional, instead of caring about her, the bully sees her as weak and he detests weakness. So that makes the abuse even worse. I feel badly for Suzanne. I believe she was looking for someone to care for her, as in Jeff L.

A retired FBI agent appearing on STS opined that the suggestion to search that area may have come from an inmate/snitch but I'd not heard "CI" as in one formally working with LE. Personally, I think SM being found was a higher power, divine intervention. Suzanne wanted to be found for the sake and protection of her daughters. I just hope they get the message. MOO
Divine intervention either way. Much prayers have been prayed for Suzanne to be found. People go missing every day and are never found. I thank God Suzanne was found and that her remains tell the rest of the story.

IIRC MG said that Barry was watching his trail cams while they were raking the beach at the worksite.

We know he had at least one mini cam, we just don't know where it was.

And we know Suzanne was engaging with JL throughout the morning and early afternoon, including the infamous sunbathing photo.

I suspect BA sped home because he'd seen enough.

JMO
Don't forget the box they had for the camera they found in the bathroom. I think BM was definitely taping/listenng to Suzanne suspecting an affair but didn't know WHO it was with.

He also said Suzanne had changed recently, gotten ballsy IIRC?

moo

You said this so well. People with a personality like BM come across as a tough guy, and only care about their wives fulfilling their sexual needs or their tummies. Truth is , they are very insecure. Their wives are sometimes abused emotionally for years before the physical abuse begins. They are bullies, always sounding tough. If a wife cries or gets emotional, instead of caring about her, the bully sees her as weak and he detests weakness. So that makes the abuse even worse. I feel badly for Suzanne. I believe she was looking for someone to care for her, as in Jeff L.

i'm struck, once again by her vulnerability.
Living with this towering rage constantly while battling cancer...
she was so very frail..

i'm glad she had her Jeff, even if it was a delusion.
It provided her with an illusion of love which caused her to blossom and seek to find herself.

to that end, it was good for her.
she needed that soul searching and she was slowly gaining mental strength from it.

on the other hand it is possible she became more careless and outspoken as a result of her new found strength.

I think he was always going to kill her.
No jeff needed for that purpose.

I'm also conscious of the fact she was closest at that point to freedom than she had ever been.

he was only even more determined to destroy her completely as a result.

I truly do hope the justice system fixes it on her behalf.
She just was not physically strong enough.
She deserves that, at least.
Without any shadow of a doubt.

Were you around when some very wise WSers brought up this theory - in the early months? You may have been one of them.

I was just remembering how Barry had somewhat inexplicably bought a vacant lot in SE Salida, I believe it was. If I'm remembering correctly, he did this after Suzanne's disappearance, and put it partly in his mother's name? Some people speculated that it was really going to be passed on to SD (the girlfriend), but others here speculated that he might use that lot as a burial place for Suzanne (he was going to be building a house on it, so he'd have ever reason to have his Bobcat and a cement mixer over there).

That lot looks remarkably like the land where Suzanne was actually buried.

He sold the lot without improving it, IIRC (in order to pay for his defense?).

If he had done this (like the murderer in the Kristin Smart case may have done), it would have taken vastly longer (if ever) to find Suzanne. And BM can never be sure when he's being watched, can he? He has to assume that he's being watched (by both LE and amateur sleuths alike).

IMO.
Yes, I was here. If I am remembering correctly it was the daughters trying to call her early in the day that raised concerns and they called dad and then I think that was something he didn't factor in would happen until later. After all he had texted her and then texted her again that day, but of course that wasn't suspicious to him that she didn't text or call.. he waited for his girls to get worried. I am still disgusted that he was okay with his girls arriving home and being the ones to realize she was missing. In a way its good that they were alarmed before they arrived home. Having the neighbor go check prevented them from being the ones to see moms car there and her gone. The fact he was okay with that shows even more how little he things of anyone but himself.

Ugh you bring up a good point. Maybe he intended to put her in the foundation of a home he was going to build or some concrete he was going to pour. Something is still off about the house he was working on that they searched for days. Maybe he was going to put her there, but something happened and he decided to do something else. The woman did hear machinery that night.

It wasn't a moonless night.

I was referring to the death disposal fields in Albuquerque - the rock was black and the killer apparently went up on the darkest nights. I wasn't referring to this case. There is no black rock in the Morphew case. The West Mesa of Albuquerque became, first, a dumping ground for a serial killer, but it's thought that maybe one other murderer also used the place. The region is mostly non-black rock, so the fact that a person wearing black and driving a black car could better disappear on that mesa led at least one killer to choose it. My point was that killers *do* think about such things.

But, did this killer do so?

Maybe, in this case, the murderer did not put as much thought into moon phases as the killer (serial killer) in Albuquerque. Because he chose a night with a nearly full moon - although, that moon wasn't going to rise way above the horizon at that time of year. Personally, I don't think he thought about this aspect at all, but it's interesting to ponder.

On the day and night that Suzanne disappeared, the moon was indeed nearly full. At 12 am to 3 am, it would have been coming up over the Colorado horizon and providing some light for anyone wandering around on that prairie (but most passersby would be noticing the nearly full moon and not what was lurking in the shadows).

By 5 am, the moon would have been shining brightly at 30 degrees above the horizon, certainly illuminating (along with dawn approaching) the area near the road. At that time of year, it looks like the moon was never directly overhead, and the mountains in the east would have blocked it as it rose (12 am is the time it came up on the horizon of Colorado - not the time it cleared the Rocky Mountains). It's possible the moon was just starting to peep out from the mountains at the time that Barry arrived there (3:15 am-ish?)

I just doubt that he planned it that way. Maybe. I mean, perhaps that's something hunters learn to understand and calculate. I strongly believe that BM had a lot of night hunting experience and was expert at blending into terrain where elk or deer might be out at night. It would be so eerie to learn that he had chosen nights just like this one...to be out that way, hunting.

Wearing dark clothes even on a moonlit night would mean he didn't have to use a headlamp, which would obviously grab attention from the road. For all I know (and it was rumored) Barry had night vision goggles, as a hunter. It was also rumored he had an ATV, but neither of those facts are in the public record, as far as I know.

I still can't quite figure out how close the grave was to the main road - looks to me like the reporter had to go down a second road or maybe a creek bed. A driver's eyes are focused on the road and not completely dark adapted, not like someone out on that prairie, digging a grave, with a shovel. And I'll say again that he wasn't so far from the main road that he wouldn't have been able to see cars coming and make himself basically invisible until they passed by. He may very well have adapted his criminal behavior to the local conditions (just as the Albuquerque killers did).

ETA: Going on the timeline numbers, above, it would seem he could have gotten out to Moffat by 11 pm ish (moon would not rise for an hour and not get up above the mountains until about 1 am, IMO - some locals will know more). So it's possible he did get a dark of the moon setting.

IMO.

Last edited:
He did, Florida I believe. He also allegedly chased Suzanne, trying to look at her phone while they were on vacation. Suzanne’s friend recounted Barry calling her when she couldn’t get hold of Suzanne, and also, he allegedly snuck up on his house when her friend was visiting.

He appears to have been stalking her on the day she was murdered as well, likely watching to see if she was on her phone, communicating with someone.

He knew, and Grusing knew that he knew.
Yeah the story that really creeped me out was the one where Suzannes friend was visiting. He snuck up on the house, I presume wanting to know if they were discussing JL. That was sick.

If the "event" was planned or not and how long before, we might only know based on the exact time, when BM first asked the 1. employee to work on Sunday at Broomfield. I have forgotten, when and where that has been and whom he asked first.
I believe it was Saturday evening or early Sunday morning when BM called MG and told her he was going to get a crew to go up and be ready to start straightening that crooked as a dog's leg wall he had built. MG stated BM sounded frantic, like he'd had a 'rough night'.

BM was supposed to pick up MG on the way up on Sunday, but didn't show. She and the other 2 guys showed up to the hotel rooms later and there were no tools that they needed to even do the job on Monday IIRC.

EBM: Day BM called MG?
moo

Last edited:
No. At that point, she did what he hired her for. For big money, to pull out a client, accused of murdering his wife, out of jail. Very professionally. Like in their time, OJ's team did.

But here is the difference. After that, they said good-bye. Left in clouds of glory. Gods. All OJ's civil suits, all his burglary and toxicity they stayed away from.

Iris should have hugged BM and left then and there.
You made a very good point!

For the life of me, I cannot recall the name of the client charged with murder where (IMO) her physical contact with the defendant gave me the icks. These aren't clients with real estate, family law or estate planning needs, these are men charged with murder. I believe Iris is a great defense attorney, but that doesn't mean I have to like her tactics, LOL.

Your mention of OJ and his civil suits is a perfect example! They did their job then moved on and didn't speak much about him either.

Not all evidence collected would be in the AA or prelim.

I do hope that Barry has not become a serial killer,dumping other victims in the same area.
I don’t think Barry is a serial killer, but he chose that area in hopes that her murder would appear to be at the hands of one, or at least at the hands of an abductor.

I also think BM did research and pre-planning in choosing a location to bury Suz. He may have not planned exactly when he would do it, and it may have been done in haste when he realized she was about to leave him. But I bet he had Saguache in the back of his mind. I looked back at old threads and Saguache is indeed a place many people go missing or are found dead.

Some names from threads.
Michael Rust
James Rowe
Tim Watkins
Joseph Keller
Kristal Reisinger
Jacob Rowe
Brandy Bishop
Tyler Kline
Dan Wallick

jmo
edit:sp

Last edited:
Barry. Talking to a Snitch? In Prison?

@Skigh Yes, I see your point and tend to agree, but then again----

I'm thinking about the PCA's recital of numerous conversations, inteviews, interrogations, that Barry had w verious members of LE agents &agencies over a year long period.
When arrested, Barry expressed surprise/shock, saying something to the effect, I thought you (you guys or a named LEO?) were my friend(s).

Could have been a phony-baloney comment, but maybe could have been an indication of his misjudgment of circumstances or misreading of ppl? IDK.

And IIRC Barry himself was in a county jail, not prison.
If the "prison snitch" as a source is true, Barry MAY have made spilled info to someone "out" at time of BM's stmts. but who subsequently was in jail or in prison.

Just spitballing here.
Not assigning much weight to a prison snitch as a source helping to locate SM's remains but not totally dismissing it as a possibility. imo.
When arrested, Barry told Agent Grusing that he thought Grusing was his friend. The snitch could be someone who hung out with Barry and has since been sent to prison. Who knows?
However, I agree. I don’t think there is a snitch but i wonder if Barry has some help from a “friend”.

Iirc - Barry told family he had, LE said otherwise

Until I find source will say JMO, MOO, IMO

Scrap that! Just found an article saying he'd refused - but it's the Sun, is that approved?
That’s correct. Not sure what he told the family, but he definitely told the media he had taken a polygraph.

He lies with such ease it’s remarkable.

It may be. He didn't outright say that he'd talked to any friends/acquaintances handling this case in CO. He said that whenever his office handled such matters, they'd make certain to give a story such as this one; They were looking for another person and stumbled upon another missing person's remains. He said that information given to them by a Confidential Informant was handled in this manner so as not to tip off the suspected murderer.
It could or couldn't be true but if it was true, doesn't that make LE look weak publicly saying "We were looking for another person but stumbled upon Susannes remains" I would think it looks better to say "We found her remains and we are not going to comment any further". Unless LE wants to "look weak" as a strategy. I don't know.. just my thoughts

i'm struck, once again by her vulnerability.
Living with this towering rage constantly while battling cancer...
she was so very frail..

i'm glad she had her Jeff, even if it was a delusion.
It provided her with an illusion of love which caused her to blossom and seek to find herself.

to that end, it was good for her.
she needed that soul searching and she was slowly gaining mental strength from it.

on the other hand it is possible she became more careless and outspoken as a result of her new found strength.

I think he was always going to kill her.
No jeff needed for that purpose.

I'm also conscious of the fact she was closest at that point to freedom than she had ever been.

he was only even more determined to destroy her completely as a result.

I truly do hope the justice system fixes it on her behalf.
She just was not physically strong enough.
She deserves that, at least.
Without any shadow of a doubt.
I believe he was always going to kill her once they sold their home in Indiana and he convinced her to spend her inheritance on the home on Puma Path. Money and control. He would lose both.

Would it be possible that LE searched the area because they were tracking Barry? Barry may have repeatedly gone back to visit ..

Anything is possible. For now, I'm just going to go with "I believe what LE has said" but I'll admit, it is really odd they were looking all the way out there for the other woman (E).

I do wonder if some local person, a rock hunter, or someone, reported human remains. Since they used dental records to ID Suzanne, we know that there were easily identifiable human remains there.

I would not put that past Barry (his returning to the grave). I do believe he's capable of experiencing something like guilt (distinct from remorse, though). But maybe he can feel both, I sure don't know. I haven't seen a single recent picture of him, come to think of it. If he's back at the gym doing push-up marathons and competing to be the Strongest Man in the Gym in order to impress The Ladies, then I will have a hard time picturing him as remorseful.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member