Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #108

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be curious to know just how deeply authorities believe she was buried... or might her body instead have been simply dumped there and the three years of exposure to the elements did the only shallow burying that occurred.

While CBI declined to provide the location or details surrounding the recovery of SM's remains, the Saguache County, Coroner offered the following details:

The 49-year-old's bones were found in a remote, dry desert field of sagebrush and natural grasses south of Moffat, according to Saguache County Coroner Tom Perrin. He said it appeared that the remains had been buried in a shallow grave before being scattered.

Perrin was called to the scene to collect the remains on Friday, and transported them to El Paso County for an autopsy.

IMO, one of these Coroners -- El Paso or Saguache County, will be responsible for determining the manner and cause of death.

Suzanne Morphew's remains found, Colorado Bureau of Investigation says 9/27/23

Most all of us admire Special Agent Grusing. APR 22 '21 "Grusing confronted Morphew with a series of pieces of evidence that he thought didn’t make sense with Morphew’s description of events. While being asked about them, Morphew responded “I don’t recall” a total of 95 times, Grusing said."

Let's go back for a minute to the time when Barry is chasing Suzanne so he can trap her thereby making it easier to kill her on May 9. This is not a big deal but just a curious bullet point.

I have it in my imagery that Barry is chasing Suzanne with his chosen weapon, the dart gun, which I think he dumped in separate pieces in various Broomfield dumps. He admitted to FBI Agents that he tossed tranquilizer drug in Broomfield during his trash runs.

So, Suzanne is running for her life from that dart gun and enters their home. She sprints to the safest place in the house which to her, would be the master bedroom. We have the fractured door frame leading into it. We have a stray bullet on the carpet near the bed. It's a live .22 round.

I don't think Suzanne cowered in a corner waiting for him to bust open that door. Isn't it possible that Suzanne had a gun, a firearm, and she was attempting to load it? Or do most of you feel Barry ejected the live .22 round in order to load the tranq chemical into tranquilizer gun?

Was the live round unnoticed by Barry until that evening when he chaperoned the Police inside Suzanne's closet for an article of clothing for the dogs because I can't imagine him thinking that's a good thing to leave on the floor out in the open when he's trying to get away with murder? Maybe he didn't notice at that time either.

View attachment 450600
Photo credit: Law and Crime
great expansion of thought DD
Gun folk do usually like a gun beside the bed don't they?
Suzanne likely did because she was home alone alot.
That wilderness in the cold dead of night would be quiet unnerving IMO.
That wildlife would be terrifying in the dark.
Makes sense that she would have run for hers if he was shooting at her (with tranq gun)

The bullet is interesting.

Maybe the dog(s) hit on the Bobcat bucket because BM offloaded the digging shovels into it when he returned that night. Using another vehicle would have required him to move the diggy thingies into the work truck for ease of cleanup with bleach at motel.

great expansion of thought DD
Gun folk do usually like a gun beside the bed don't they?
Suzanne likely did because she was home alone alot.
That wilderness in the cold dead of night would be quiet unnerving IMO.
That wildlife would be terrifying in the dark.
Makes sense that she would have run for hers if he was shooting at her (with tranq gun)

The bullet is interesting.
At a minimum, she might've been racing for her phone, reasonable to believe it was charging bedside.

Didn't LE recover an empty gun case from beneath the bed? Am I remembering that right?

Last edited:
I am very curious why the dog hit a spot on the bucket but now that we know where she was buried. I don't know I believe he would haul his bobcat to that location and unload it right out in the open. I don't exactly know how much traffic goes through there but wouldn't it be suspicious if you saw a random bobcat digging on the side of the road? It would just seem "quicker" to dig the hole with a shovel and get the hell out of there. IMO

I agree, I don't think he took the bobcat out to bury her where she was found. Way too big a risk, even out in a relatively remote area. He'd have had to have his truck and trailer sitting on the side of the road, and no matter how fast he was, it would still have taken a lot longer to load/unload the bobcat than if he just carried her on foot. He would also have left noticeable tracks.

Besides, it makes no sense to haul a bobcat out there, load and unload it, take it a few dozen yards off the road and back - and then only use it for a shallow grave.

On another matter - his attorney isn't worried about getting paid. She's thinking about the book, the TV movie and the TV appearances. Even if she 'loses' and he gets convicted, she'll still get the book, movie, etc. And no one will make her feel bad about losing because no one would want to see a murderer successfully defended and freed. She's just doing what the law requires.

jmho, of course.

Last edited:
I'm still stunned he choose such a wide open expanse.

I keep wondering, too.
Maybe he did intend to move her later, but then all the swirling around of LE and the media, which started pretty much immediately, prevented him from completing the transfer to the final spot.
So she was left by the side of the road.

The mind boggles.

I guess when he realized his predicament, he assumed she'd be found (perhaps sooner) so he started his deliberate schpiel about how he'd hide a body never to be found -- which would have been true, had he been able to finish the job.

And then started on about all the 'drug people'....
And whatever/whomever else.

Although, I'm also wondering if he intended to blame it on the 'drug people' from the start, so wanted her found sooner.
But then, if that were the case, I suppose he would have just placed her there.
By burying her, it seems he probably was planning to go back and move her to the never-to-be-found spot.

I think I am leaning toward it being that he was hurried, in a panic, and it was meant to be a temporary spot.

I wish he would 'fess up ... a'la CW.

jmoooc

I can’t find any precedent for DNA being recovered from scratches (just under the nails of the scratcher, which is very commmon), but I do wish they had swabbed them, and then bluffed Barry down the road. It would force him to make up another ridiculous story, likely involving yet another animal in Barry’s zoo full of lies.

Sadly, some people would buy it, as they have bought everything that Barry has said, and Iris has alleged.
BBM
This is NO exaggeration on your part. As I am reading the Arrest Affidavit, and you're right. BM tells one ridiculous story after another.

Best is whenever BM answers a direct questioned. page 59
SECTION 6: Barry's Interview with the FBI 2021

Here's a "Spit Your Coffee" story: Barry's Prostate
SA Grusing asked Barry about his first statement of setting his alarm for 4:30 in the morning.
Barry stated, "I, I don't remember setting the alarm. I might've told him that ..."
SA Grusing confirmed he told him that. Barry said, "but, but, not my phone alarm, the, the clock alarm. But, I, you know, I set that thing so many times, I mean, maybe I didn't remember, but I know I wanted to get going early and sometimes when I know I gotta get up early I set the alarm."
SA Grusing told Barry the FBI knew he was moving well before 4:30.
Barry said, "I get up, I got uh, an enlarged prostate. I get up and pee all night through.
All through the night." [page 69 (bottom)]

BM is quite a story teller and made SM's life hell.

It is preposterous (to a clear thinking rational mind ) to visualise a random serial killer roaming around such an exclusive isolated forest-like acreages.

That's why Barry didn't even suggest it to begin with.
A wild animal attack seemed far more logical than a serial killer.

And that wasn't logical at all. :oops:
So...here we are......

the husband or the serial killer.

IMO BM will have a new lawyer before the year ends.
watch this space.
Preposterous indeed! I would submit that defense lawyers often have to propose illogical explanations for their client's behavior as a condition of employment.

ALL of these people are "partial matches" for each other, insofar as the codons in the alleles are all very similar.

CODIS looks at 18 or so single regions of human DNA and if a suspect sample matches ALL 18, it's considered a CODIS match (so then, they can go look at each of the full matches - and see if they have alibis).

Partial matches on fewer than 18 SNPs are not sufficient to warrant an investigation, IMO. If we decide to go there, as a society, we're doomed. And the FBI and LE agree with me. It's my understanding that this particular partial match wasn't even to a known felon, but to rape kits/sexual assault evidence in three different cities (where a FULL profile was gained from some unknown rapist, so he can be matched to himself in three places, but he's a PARTIAL (cousin) match to the glove box DNA - who is likely the lowly technician who worked at the auto dealership, writing in or handling the owner's manual and perhaps putting it inside the glove box after).

There was also male DNA on the helmet (which she bought from a man so of course there would be).

Clear as mud? Or better?
^^rsbm

Brilliant summary @10ofRods, and thank you! :)

IMO, I'm convinced that it has to be criminal attorneys from across the nation working as a united force with the common goal of preventing the adoption of an educated and/or textbook summary explaining partial profile DNA evidence applicable to this case.

Instead, only weeks after the conclusion of BM's multi-day preliminary hearing in Sept 2021, and BM bound over for trial, his defense wasted no time putting investigators, authorities, and prosecutors on notice of BM's intent to sue for purposefully keeping the identity of a sex offender tied to evidence collected in SM's murder case, more specifically, glovebox DNA evidence excluding BM.

And BM made good on his notice on May 2, 2023, when he filed a $15M Civil Suit in the US District Court of Colorado.

My question to you is how can this subject partial DNA on the glove box represent a credible suspect? Never mind that BM had the motive, means, and opportunity to murder his wife!

10/19/21

Legal papers sent this week allege prosecutors purposefully kept the identity of a sex offender tied to evidence in a Chaffee County killing from murder suspect Barry Morphew’s defense team.

The move comes after a lengthy evidence hearing led to a judge ruling Morphew should stand trial in the death of his wife, Suzanne Morphew, who was reported missing on Mother's Day 2020.

The attorneys allege deputies and prosecutors withheld the identity of a person tied to DNA found on the glovebox of Suzanne Morphew’s Ranger Rover.

A national database of DNA samples taken from inmates showed the DNA was linked to a sex offender who now lives in Arizona, according to the notice of intent to sue filed by the law firm of Fisher and Byrialsen based out of Denver and New York City.

The document contends police didn't chase the DNA lead and look for other possible killers before focusing on Morphew.

The documents filed by Morphew allege new information regarding male DNA found in the Range Rover, saying it was a possible match to a serial sex offender in Arizona.

Morphew’s civil attorneys say investigators knew the man’s identity as early as Aug. 2, a week before the evidence hearing in the murder case. The 10-page document says prosecutors waited until Morphew was ordered to trial before they released it to his defense team. In doing this, Morphew's attorneys contend, prosecutors “conspired to commit a fraud upon the court by withholding exculpatory evidence.”

The DNA issue did come up during Morphew's August evidence hearing. Colorado Bureau of Investigations agent Joe Cahill told Morphew attorney Iris Eytan that the DNA on the glove box is a partial profile.

“It’s Ramsey all over again,” said Grant, who was one of several prosecutors who gave advice in the unsolved 1996 killing of JonBenet Ramsey. “The prosecution will have to contend with the DNA. It makes this case really tough because this DNA found on the glovebox represents a somewhat credible suspect.”

Does anyone know how far away SM body was found from the (Salada?) jobsite Barry was ‘working’ on. The job where he forgot to deliver tools and bricks, and basically he gave his employees a couple of free nights hotwk accommodation, before they packed up and headed home.

1696131440495.png

3 hr 21 min (190.9 mi) via US Hwy 285 S

I can’t find any precedent for DNA being recovered from scratches (just under the nails of the scratcher, which is very commmon), but I do wish they had swabbed them, and then bluffed Barry down the road. It would force him to make up another ridiculous story, likely involving yet another animal in Barry’s zoo full of lies.

Sadly, some people would buy it, as they have bought everything that Barry has said, and Iris has alleged.
BBM
This is NO exaggeration on your part. As I am reading the Arrest Affidavit, and you're right. BM tells one ridiculous story after another.

SA Grusing asked Barry about his first statement of setting his alarm for 4:30 in the morning.
Barry stated, "I, I don't remember setting the alarm. I might've told him that ..."
SA Grusing confirmed he told him that. Barry said, "but, but, not my phone alarm, the, the clock alarm. But, I, you know, I set that thing so many times, I mean, maybe I didn't remember, but I know I wanted to get going early and sometimes when I know I gotta get up early I set the alarm."
SA Grusing told Barry the FBI knew he was moving well before 4:30.
Barry said, "I get up, I got uh, an enlarged prostate. I get up and pee all night through.
All through the night." [page 69 (bottom)]

Thank you so much! I was able to find the whole filing with your help.

I found only a summary. So he's suing Chaffee County, the Chaffee County Sheriff's Department specifically along with their bosses, the County Commissioners.

And then a lot of individuals, including the Prosecutor from the 11th Judicial District and 2 FBI agents.

It's in Federal Court, so it will be a looong process. Looking at who he wants to depose and sue, right now, well. I am a bit astonished. This whole thing would have looked like a miniature murder trial if all those defendants chose to speak on their own behalf (which they would, in my estimate). I'm guessing their respective employers (nearly all are Chaffee County employees) have to pay their legal fees, unless the employers agree that the defendants were acting outside of their employment. So it's Chaffee County itself, Chaffee County agencies, individuals employed by Chaffee County with a smattering of 3 Federal employees and 1 employee of the State of CO (the 11th Judicial District investigator).

If CO agrees that this employee acted wrongly and doesn't defend him, then he might be on his own.

I wonder how people in Chaffee County feel about this. These are their tax funds at risk.

I hope Lauren Scharf writes a bit on this. I would be happy to hear from any locals. Sheriff Spezzi's personal assets are at risk.

At any rate, it does seem that confirming that Suzanne was murdered will make a very big difference in these causes of action. Can't wait for Barry to be deposed (and then be on the stand under cross-examination).

I'll be very surprised if this goes to trial. I'll also be surprised if Eytan will drop the case right away. Each person named in that complaint will be deposed and will tell what they think happened to Suzanne and all will say it was normal investigative procedure. There are some sticking points (how long they kept Barry's property, etc) but to my eye, this is going to be very hard on Barry and his daughters (who might also be deposed).

They Mirandized Barry and he still decided to speak multiple times with LE, a Judge held there was probable cause at one point. I am not seeing a civil rights violation - not like the truly heinous rights violations often seen in federal court.

IMO this is very sad, all around. So many lives disrupted.
Eytan isn't gaslighting me. In the US, it is NOT wrong for LE to investigate a suspect in a murder case or to comply with an arrest warrant. I've lost respect for her. She must be drunk on BM's kool aid or she experienced a sudden onset of sociopathy.

So, if she is cited for driving 85mph in a 40mph zone, it's the police officer who is at fault ??

It's been said that Suzanne and Barry had not enjoyed a good marriage in over a year and a half before she was murdered. The Prosecution said she'd been in touch with an old friend, JL, for two years.

I tried to find an MSM link, to no avail, since the discovery of her skeleton is prominent in searches. However, Suzanne and Barry had not been communicating by text or phone at all for most of that time.

Suzanne was in love, whatever love is, and wanted to be with JL or to at least have freedom from Barry's strong control. She was not texting with Barry nor was he texting her and not getting a reply. He stayed away from Puma Path for periods of time when she didn't know where he was or what he was doing and she didn't care.

May 6 - “I’m done,” she wrote to her husband. “I could care less what you’re up to and have been for years.”

When informed of Suzanne's desires to end the marriage amicably, he opened the car door while she was driving on a mountain road! Another time when they discussed it, he told her that he would be dying soon. He put a gun to his head in front of her! "Is this what you want?"

He was fighting her every step of the way by emotionally abusing, terrorizing her. In fact, he was one step ahead of her because Barry knew Suzanne better than she knew herself. He took advantage of her ability to be reasonable while attempting to monitor her every activity.

May 9 - Barry set up those deer cams for more than one reason. He may have watched fun times spent in their hot tub. Those deer cams can be monitored offsite from personal cellphones via apps. Did he get a notification of movement in his backyard and saw Suzanne sunbathing? He told Morgan he had to go home to make the wife happy but Barry was curious and became furious on May 9th.
It sounds like Suzanne didn't realize that a most dangerous time for women is when she tells her spouse that she is leaving the marriage; texts that she is leaving, or perhaps he creeped up on her, caught her adding linkedin whatsapp to send a photo to her lover, with CCTV catching her in the act, and ... tranquilizer darts, noisy breathing, dead in a field.

She was becoming bolder in the marriage, per the affidavit. It seemed like she found strength outside of the marriage, and wanted more independence.

Still. Barry standing so close to where she was sitting, then running around like a jackrabbit ...

Attachments

• 1696131835538.png
    1696131835538.png
    586.5 KB · Views: 39
BBM

Eytan isn't gaslighting me. In the US, it is NOT wrong for LE to investigate a suspect in a murder case or to comply with an arrest warrant. I've lost respect for her. She must be drunk on BM's kool aid or she experienced a sudden onset of sociopathy.

So, if she is cited for driving 85mph in a 40mph zone, it's the police officer who is at fault ??
lol, I forgot about the prostate excuse. I guess when Barry goes pee, he takes his phone, goes outside to his truck and opens and closes doors. As one does.

I can’t imagine who would be in his inner circle. Nor could i imagine him admitting this murder to anyone. What i was thinking was someone who had worked for him or someone he borrowed a truck from putting it all together and contacting LE out of fear. If it was someone who is now serving a sentence maybe they told what they know for a promise of an early release. Then again, maybe there was no tip Of that kind. Maybe a concerted citizen found some bones?
I am not going to rule it out yet. Just read through the arrest affidavit. He has burned quite a few people and some are terrified of him. He could have bullied someone into allowing him to use their vehicle. Until BM is no longer a threat to society, it's only right that LE protect any informants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay