Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #109

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see BM introducing her to mt biking either. I don't recall reading anything about that aspect, except that I simply don't see it. He still might have been familiar with her route or routes though. If she did solo rides then it is always wise to let someone know where you will be riding. It's not like road biking where a motorist might offer assistance. If out on a solo ride she might have told him in the past.

I've often wondered if she had some regular riding partners and, if so, what info did they give to LE that might have shed light on the alleged bike ride. Of course, this was in the midst of the Covid crisis when some my fellow cyclist chose to ride solo instead of the usual groups.
If he was familiar with her routes he would never have staged her bike where he did. The daughters boyfriend told LE all about where he looked and why. He told them where she tended to ride her bike and what she would wear. Her lover JL even said he looked up the routes she was going to ride on google. Everyone but Barry took an interest in where she was riding her bike.

It's my opinion that Barry could care less about her hobby. He didn't like her having something she enjoyed. His comments made it clear he had no clue.

I think in no body cases a certain sense of mystique can build around the absence of the body when the reality is more down to blind luck . In this case a level of genius was ascribed to Barry's body disposal skills. It reminds me of the McStay case where so many conspiracies developed around where they might be

Yet this is actually what we should expect. He's dumped her somewhere where he thought she would never be found precisely because its a big expanse. The disposal is far enough away as not to be obviously connected to him, but it will be a place he knew about.

I suspect what he has done is dumped all the key evidence in the dumpsters, but he's been careful not to dump the body on his route. That was the misdirection here.

But in the end it is revealed to be a very dump crime and very badly executed because he's murdered her while they were home alone together so his whole alibi is epic fail.
I'm still having this nagging feeling that she was moved from her original location to this one after time had passed. JMO

Agreed to all! It's like he took lessons from Alex Murdaugh.

It's also appalling to read in the affadavit that JL didn't step forward, and he told authorities that at first he assumed she was abducted. Really? He didn't think Barry did something? And whether he thought either of those scenarios was possible, didn't he think he could help in some way? Understood he had a family, but so much for caring for Suzanne. It seemed so nonchalant.
I agree with you. But to be fair, Suzanne sought him out.And being the immoral man he is, the type who want to stray and not get caught, he hid like a coward does. I feel bad for his wife. When BM is recharged you can bet the defense will destroy any integrity JL had left. I’m sure he isn’t happy Suzanne was found. All my own opinion.

Sept 28, 2023 article

[…]

When considering whether the evidence now points to Barry Morphew or another suspect, the prosecution and law enforcement are likely to proceed carefully, said Colin McCallin, a criminal defense attorney and former prosecutor who is not involved in the case.

“If there was a lesson to be learned, it’s that the initial prosecution was rushed,” he said. “No two ways about it. They made a charging decision without the benefit of having a body, without a crime scene, without a murder weapon — it was a very difficult prosecution from the very beginning… I would absolutely expect the district attorney’s office and CBI to move very methodically here. The last thing they want to do is charge anyone, much less Mr. Morphew again, just to see the case get dismissed because they’re not quite ready.”

[…]

I agree with this 100%. They will have to make modifications to the theory of their case now. The defense will try to exploit this. For example, from their motion to dismiss:

"a. Good Faith Basis to Dismiss

As an offer of proof, the People and law enforcement believe we are close to discovering the victim’s body. The People were hopeful that the search for, and the discovery of, the victim’s body would be concluded well before trial, but weather has complicated the efforts. Specifically, the area law enforcement has been focused on is in a remote and mountainous region nearby the Morphew residence. This area received a significant amount of snow over the winter months before a search could be completed. To date, the area has 5 feet of snow concealing the location where the People believe Ms. Morphew is located. As a result, the People cannot safely excavate this area and resolve this unanswered question."

She wasn't found anywhere near there.

They have to start from scratch and go slow with an entirely new team on all sides (LE and prosecution) to re-examine and develop the evidence and case, including doing a DNA sweep of places maybe like the bike shop, and genealogy testing on the unknown male and female DNA that is present and not attributable to the out-of-state SA assailant. They have to run all loose threads to the ground first. There is no statute of limitations on murder, so take your time, and do it right.

All jmo

Yeah, he was trying to distance himself. We saw in Lauren’s YouTube many months ago, how Barry used his youngest daughter to run interference when Lauren went to the house he was living in. This was similar, but the intent was different. He used them because in his mind, it would make him look like less of a suspect.

When he did speak to the Ritters, he demonstrated consciousness of guilt, lying, telling them that he was at the wall with his workers when he was in fact in his hotel room, and his workers hadn’t arrived yet.

This is one of those lies that no one who thinks Barry is innocent has an explanation for. Likely because there is no explanation, other than Barry knew a crime had been committed. You don’t create a fake alibi otherwise, and you certainly don’t lie.

Idiot.
Ano IMO, he was the first one to stray in this marriage and cheated on Suzanne many times. I’m hoping by this time, women will come forward. I’m sure they didn’t before because no one could find Suzannes body. But this is different. I hope they don’t hide as JL did.

Apologies, I'm late to the party and haven't followed this case for quite a few months.

Can someone tell me what led the police to searching where they did? Was there a tip off? Was it just good fortune? Did someone discover remains and call it in?

I'm catching up on this thread so this might have been answered already. It was a search for another missing woman, Edna Quintana, who disappeared in May.

I agree with this 100%. They will have to make modifications to the theory of their case now. The defense will try to exploit this. For example, from their motion to dismiss:

"a. Good Faith Basis to Dismiss

As an offer of proof, the People and law enforcement believe we are close to discovering the victim’s body. The People were hopeful that the search for, and the discovery of, the victim’s body would be concluded well before trial, but weather has complicated the efforts. Specifically, the area law enforcement has been focused on is in a remote and mountainous region nearby the Morphew residence. This area received a significant amount of snow over the winter months before a search could be completed. To date, the area has 5 feet of snow concealing the location where the People believe Ms. Morphew is located. As a result, the People cannot safely excavate this area and resolve this unanswered question."

She wasn't found anywhere near there.

They have to start from scratch and go slow with an entirely new team on all sides (LE and prosecution) to re-examine and develop the evidence and case, including doing a DNA sweep of places maybe like the bike shop, and genealogy testing on the unknown male and female DNA that is present and not attributable to the out-of-state SA assailant. They have to run all loose threads to the ground first. There is no statute of limitations on murder, so take your time, and do it right.

All jmo
One good thing though is they have MANY unaccounted for hours for Barry. In the preliminary hearing one of the LE officers testified about that time. I believe the question was about xyz hours is enough time to hid a body and he said plenty of time. I think that allows for nearly 3 hours away still being enough time for Barry to get away and back and still get to Broomfield.

What is difficult about no body is everyone has to make an educated guess on where she is based on other factors. Barry did turn left and he admitted that.. the helmet was there and there was some unaccounted for miles on his truck, but not many.. so when he says I went to turn around up there chasing Elk.. I think they went with that being the location he likely went to dispose of her. I mean if their theory would have been he went 45 minutes south, they don't have anything to base that on except he had many hours in airplane mode and no known activity placing him any specific location.

I agree they need to go slow. Find anything that links him to that general area she was found. Did he hunt there, did he do any work there, did his phone ever ping there before, did he know anyone that lived in that direction.. etc. Now that she's been found maybe any friends/coworkers/acquaintances that recall him ever being in that area before or after her going missing can come forward to say what they know. It might not have been something that sent up a red flag to them before that.

IIRC, he said he got them while hiking with Suzanne. (Or from searching for her?)

Coincidentally, didn't he first say he and Suzanne went hiking on Saturday?

Perhaps "hiking" was a substitution for what they really did, that he didn't want to talk about.

He didn't say they were occupational hazards.

He. Associated. Them. With. Suzanne.

Jmo
Agent Cahill observed scratches on Barry's left upper arm. Barry stated, Yeah, like,
that from a tree ... in, uh - wh- when were hikin' in the mountains." AA pg 21 of 129 (last par)

AFAIK, there was no hikin' in the mountains that day. BM ridiculous story # ??

Attachments

• BM Scratches.png
    BM Scratches.png
    456.1 KB · Views: 22
  • BM Scratches 3.png
    BM Scratches 3.png
    351.9 KB · Views: 21
  • BM Scratches 2.png
    BM Scratches 2.png
    279.9 KB · Views: 21
IIRC that's how he described what she was wearing. White shorts, white fringe top -- can't remember now, on Saturday?

If he left "so early" in the morning while "she was still in bed" how would he know what outfit she put on that day - unless he was there at some point. Caught in another slip up or lie? Was this what she was wearing on Saturday? If so, that would seem a slip up to me for sure.

jmo

Last edited:
BBM

Barry didn't introduce Suzanne to mountain biking. The daughters boyfriend did. Wasn't sure if this was a typo you posted, but Suzanne seemed to love it so much and I don't want her murderer to get any credit for introducing her to that. I don't think Barry knew a darn thing about her biking.. if he did, he would have taken her camel back also and he wouldn't have put her bike where he did. He had no idea where she biked or what she took when she did.
Okay.

End result factually, still the same. It was new. Therefore a good chance her bike was too. That was my focus on the point. All of the alleged unknown DNA found, much on the bike. My focus from yesterday's thread was how new was the bike, not who introduced her to it. Rather, who else could have handled the bike and unwittingly and innocently deposited DNA on it.

jmo

If he was familiar with her routes he would never have staged her bike where he did. The daughters boyfriend told LE all about where he looked and why. He told them where she tended to ride her bike and what she would wear. Her lover JL even said he looked up the routes she was going to ride on google. Everyone but Barry took an interest in where she was riding her bike.

It's my opinion that Barry could care less about her hobby. He didn't like her having something she enjoyed. His comments made it clear he had no clue.
I follow that to a point, except wasn't her bike found off Rt 225? That would be the obvious path to the trailhead of the Colorado Trail off the hwy from Puma Path (north). IF she did take the section of the CO Trail on the other side of the hwy. Otherwise, the CT continues in the other direction on 225 past Foose's Dam (west). She probably rode both sections. Come to think of it, it wouldn't have taken a genius (and I don't believe BM is one) to conjure up a logical place to stage a bike accident or abduction scene without having to go on the trail itself.

I don't recall reading anything about that aspect, except that I simply don't see it.

[snipped by me]

Page 5

Person's name is redacted. Suppose people got this redacted information (that it was the daughter's BF) from other filings or chatter, but that part is really irrelevant to the potential sources of unknown DNA except that if it was the daughter's BF, I hope his DNA was tested.

jmo

Last edited:
One good thing though is they have MANY unaccounted for hours for Barry. In the preliminary hearing one of the LE officers testified about that time. I believe the question was about xyz hours is enough time to hid a body and he said plenty of time. I think that allows for nearly 3 hours away still being enough time for Barry to get away and back and still get to Broomfield.

What is difficult about no body is everyone has to make an educated guess on where she is based on other factors. Barry did turn left and he admitted that.. the helmet was there and there was some unaccounted for miles on his truck, but not many.. so when he says I went to turn around up there chasing Elk.. I think they went with that being the location he likely went to dispose of her. I mean if their theory would have been he went 45 minutes south, they don't have anything to base that on except he had many hours in airplane mode and no known activity placing him any specific location.

I agree they need to go slow. Find anything that links him to that general area she was found. Did he hunt there, did he do any work there, did his phone ever ping there before, did he know anyone that lived in that direction.. etc. Now that she's been found maybe any friends/coworkers/acquaintances that recall him ever being in that area before or after her going missing can come forward to say what they know. It might not have been something that sent up a red flag to them before that.

Oh right. This wasn't by indictment. It was via complaint and information. I should go see if I could find the preliminary. Probably lots of info there.

jmo

I mean he's laid up in the hotel room so why the heck can't he be the adult and call another adult to discuss his concerns about Suzanne?
Because Barry Morphew is a pathetic man-child. He parentified his daughters and expects women to jump whenever he barks. BM must have absolute control and will NOT assume a role of responsibility when in relation with a female. This allows him to be a victim and to blame others. It's a way of life for BM.

This is one of those lies that no one who thinks Barry is innocent has an explanation for. Likely because there is no explanation, other than Barry knew a crime had been committed. You don’t create a fake alibi otherwise, and you certainly don’t lie.

RSBM - it's this kind of thing that makes me so mad about IE's civil case where she claims BM was tricked into lying to LE about the left turn and chipmunk hunt.

He himself has never said he was lying. Yet we are supposed to believe he was the victim.

Yeah, he was trying to distance himself. We saw in Lauren’s YouTube many months ago, how Barry used his youngest daughter to run interference when Lauren went to the house he was living in. This was similar, but the intent was different. He used them because in his mind, it would make him look like less of a suspect.

When he did speak to the Ritters, he demonstrated consciousness of guilt, lying, telling them that he was at the wall with his workers when he was in fact in his hotel room, and his workers hadn’t arrived yet.

Idiot.
IIRC, the late Jeff Puckett was the first one to publicly say the whole Broomfield job felt like an alibi set up.
I also recall, 99.98% of us here, agreeing completely.

It was so stinking obvious, that if someone were to write a short manual on how not to set up an alibi, they'd mention all the things Barry did.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member