Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #111

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
True Crime Tour – Day 2

After enjoying an evening in Salida, I travelled the route from the former Morphew residence on Puma Path to the burial/dump site south of Moffat. [Side Note: I can recommend the pie at Moonlight Pizza, which, you may recall, figured tangentially in Mr. Morphew’s “explanations” for his various actions during the days leading up to Suzanne’s murder, Arrest Affidavit pages 22, 90.]

Google shows the route requiring 53 minutes (52 miles) but it can easily be travelled in far less. From Poncha Pass to Moffat is a arrow-straight road in excellent condition and I was able to travel this stretch comfortably at 90 mph (though I didn’t maintain that speed for the entire way due to LE concerns). Travelling late at night (say well after midnight) when concerns about LE would be minimal, it would be possible to travel at a speed of 100 +/-. So, if in the early morning hours of Mother’s Day, 2020 Mr. Morphew was in a hurry, as one might surmise, he could have made the round trip in 80 minutes or less. This would have given him more time to clean up the house and/or stage evidence.

I also observed that along the route below Poncha Pass there are few if any places to pull off the highway that aren’t gated or have a business/ranch/house close by. Presumably, one wouldn’t want to dig a shallow grave anywhere near an area where human ingress and egress was common (it would be more likely to be quickly discovered). All of the stretch of the road from the pass down to Moffat is fenced on both sides.

The burial site off County Road R, about a mile south of Moffat is the first turnoff I saw that doesn’t lead to an area of human activity. Whether this was a selection criterion on the fly or was a spot known to the perpetrator in advance, is not clear to me, however, something seems to be going on in the area where Suzanne was left.

There is currently an old, trashed, abandoned trailer and two shipping containers just off the road within about 100 feet of the burial site but with no power so, no lights (photo below).
View attachment 478801

The trailer and containers do not show up on the current google earth or google map satellite views (which are dated 2024). Moreover, there is a very recently built, secured fence around these features (pic below) and I noted two survey flags (?marking evidence locations?) inside the fenced area (photo below). What this is all about, I haven’t a clue.
View attachment 478804
View attachment 478805
A couple other observations of the burial location:
  • Looking around there is a lot of very old metal trash including cans, pots, bottles and the 1923 license plate shown below. There were also some hunting remains (a severed hoof and cleanly cut leg bone) suggesting hunters may have used the area.
  • The soil at least to a depth of about a foot is a very soft silty material; very easy to dig. This suggests the shallow depth of burial may have been due to an extreme rush, not difficulty digging.
View attachment 478808 View attachment 478809View attachment 478811View attachment 478812View attachment 478820
I’m sure LE has thoroughly evaluated this area and may have found some significant evidence (circumstantial or otherwise).
Thank your for the great post.

True Crime Tour – Day 2

After enjoying an evening in Salida, I travelled the route from the former Morphew residence on Puma Path to the burial/dump site south of Moffat. [Side Note: I can recommend the pie at Moonlight Pizza, which, you may recall, figured tangentially in Mr. Morphew’s “explanations” for his various actions during the days leading up to Suzanne’s murder, Arrest Affidavit pages 22, 90.]

Google shows the route requiring 53 minutes (52 miles) but it can easily be travelled in far less. From Poncha Pass to Moffat is a arrow-straight road in excellent condition and I was able to travel this stretch comfortably at 90 mph (though I didn’t maintain that speed for the entire way due to LE concerns). Travelling late at night (say well after midnight) when concerns about LE would be minimal, it would be possible to travel at a speed of 100 +/-. So, if in the early morning hours of Mother’s Day, 2020 Mr. Morphew was in a hurry, as one might surmise, he could have made the round trip in 80 minutes or less. This would have given him more time to clean up the house and/or stage evidence.

I also observed that along the route below Poncha Pass there are few if any places to pull off the highway that aren’t gated or have a business/ranch/house close by. Presumably, one wouldn’t want to dig a shallow grave anywhere near an area where human ingress and egress was common (it would be more likely to be quickly discovered). All of the stretch of the road from the pass down to Moffat is fenced on both sides.

The burial site off County Road R, about a mile south of Moffat is the first turnoff I saw that doesn’t lead to an area of human activity. Whether this was a selection criterion on the fly or was a spot known to the perpetrator in advance, is not clear to me, however, something seems to be going on in the area where Suzanne was left.

There is currently an old, trashed, abandoned trailer and two shipping containers just off the road within about 100 feet of the burial site but with no power so, no lights (photo below).
View attachment 478801

The trailer and containers do not show up on the current google earth or google map satellite views (which are dated 2024). Moreover, there is a very recently built, secured fence around these features (pic below) and I noted two survey flags (?marking evidence locations?) inside the fenced area (photo below). What this is all about, I haven’t a clue.
View attachment 478804
View attachment 478805
  • Looking around there is a lot of very old metal trash including cans, pots, bottles and the 1923 license plate shown below. There were also some hunting remains (a severed hoof and cleanly cut leg bone) suggesting hunters may have used the area.
  • The soil at least to a depth of about a foot is a very soft silty material; very easy to dig. This suggests the shallow depth of burial may have been due to an extreme rush, not difficulty digging.
View attachment 478808 View attachment 478809View attachment 478811View attachment 478812View attachment 478820
I’m sure LE has thoroughly evaluated this area and may have found some significant evidence (circumstantial or otherwise).

Brilliant posts, make real and visually vivid a lot of case evidence and helps to clarify the feasibility and likely circumstances of the murder and disposal (ugh) of SM.

There's something horribly apposite and BM-like about the proximity of animal remains to the burial site. Reminiscent of the lures he left for the allegedly homicidal mountain lion, and of the sad spot SM seems to have occupied in BM's ongoing ranking of what mattered most to him -- somewhere between his Bobcat and his hunting.

If the people wanted her gone there would be a petition circulating now or there would have been a recall quite a while ago IMO.
I don't recall even hearing of a petition circulating to achieve that.

There isn't a petition. It's that I would wish there were one if it wasn't already so late in her term.

Its the media, some at IA bidding I believe, that shreds Linda along with her suppossed peers in office aka "the good ole boys" and lets not forget her loving sister who perhpas kicked off the campaign.

IMO these articles are not helpful and not constructive - they further erode her credibility.

No, she deserves the bad credibility she has. The woman is a disgrace as a DA and should never be in a position with that kind of responsibility again. moo

Last edited:
There isn't a petition. It's that I would wish there were one if it wasn't already so late in her term.

No, she deserves the bad credibility she has. The woman is a disgrace as a DA and should never be in a position with that kind of responsibility again. moo
Yes thanks @Smelly Squirrel we have never been aligned on the nuance of Linda - agree to disagree
Whether she deserves all of it or not I am not in proximity to personally know. Certainly some of it. But even if well deserved how is it helpful for achieving anything in that district? Shred the DA’s credibility and what happens to crime and justice?

I do know she was ill suited for a public position of any sort but aren’t so many imo.
The hate started in many forums I drop into during the election and revived up after she was elected. From a distance I don’t see that she was ever given a chance or a helping hand - many have a seemingly visceral hate for her and wanted to see her fail. The knifes were out.

In my mind allowing her to fail so badly truly has stood in the way of Justice out that way.

And altho the blame ultimately rests with on Linda’s shoulders - there is plenty more blame to spread around. A literal power struggle/ ego contest, p match, with no winners.

All JMO

Have you not heard of husbands killing their wives, especially during times of separation or divorce?
Yes, that's exactly how the State opened in the Prelim Hearing, "This is a case domestic partner homicide" and I believe that is exactly what is was.

Suzanne was not 'allowed' to leave the great, Godly BM and she didn't alive. Ego, money, etc. all played a part, but he wasn't going to be humiliated publicly by his wife leaving him so Suzanne 'made him kill her' in his sick, twisted mind. "Oh Suzanne", his first words in his taped by him plea to the public speaks volumes to me. :mad:

New charges and a retrial cannot come soon enough for me.

MOO

Yes thanks @Smelly Squirrel we have never been aligned on the nuance of Linda - agree to disagree
Whether she deserves all of it or not I am not in proximity to personally know. Certainly some of it. But even if well deserved how is it helpful for achieving anything in that district? Shred the DA’s credibility and what happens to crime and justice?

I do know she was ill suited for a public position of any sort but aren’t so many imo.
The hate started in many forums I drop into during the election and revived up after she was elected. From a distance I don’t see that she was ever given a chance or a helping hand - many have a seemingly visceral hate for her and wanted to see her fail. The knifes were out.

In my mind allowing her to fail so badly truly has stood in the way of Justice out that way.

And altho the blame ultimately rests with on Linda’s shoulders - there is plenty more blame to spread around. A literal power struggle/ ego contest, p match, with no winners.

All JMO
MOO She was incompetent.
The red flags were there, but I wished her success. She blew the PH in so many ways.

All JMO
Btw, does she actually deserve a thank you letter from BM? ;)

Barry told Tyson in his first few words that a 200 mile radius had been searched... Another Barry hyperbole? Moffat was definitely within that range Barry.
Not hyperbole it is BM being a ding dong as usual. 85 chipmunks, 400 tours, 200 mile radius, ate off 1 plate, split a steak, ate of 2 plates, I tranquilize deer and saw their horns off, I shower multiple times a day because it relaxes me, I was tracking an elk, looking for a turkey, foot tracks, mountain lion.....smh

The information is publicly out there in legal documents. The worst for me is finding that she was texting and DMing and commenting with rando YouTubers about the case. She's not fit for the office.

Just look at how poorly written the AA reads

Last edited:
Well you can't blame her for that so much, the investigators were more responsible for producing it. Still, there was far more than enough in there to arrest him, and nearly enough for me to convict, but it was poorly organized and edited.

The AA was generated from the DAs office. The affiant is Alex Walker IV. Chief Criminal Investigator at 11th Judicial District Attorney's Office.

"5:38 p.m.
District Attorney investigator Alex Walker was informed that Suzanne is missing. As evening fell, deputies arrived at the Morphew home and discovered Suzanne’s bike “with colorful pedals” down a ravine near the home. The handlebars are twisted."

Of course. I just wondered why he was so angry that day and not the day before or the day before that.
Maybe, he slimyly tried to save their marriage since Tuesday May 5th, when the girls were gone. But he had no success; quite the opposite, as he had to find out. His annoyance slowly increased, and there wasn't much left to actually implement the evil plan (murder), he had made in case, SM wouldn't consent to the continuation of the marriage and would further insist on back payment of her inheritance. So her time had come on Saturday/Sunday, BM's very last hours to have it done ("disappearing"), before the girls would have been back. Add to it his jealousy and possessiveness re. SM's affair.
I imagine it possibly like that.

True Crime Tour – Day 2

View attachment 478801

View attachment 478804
View attachment 478805
Amazing post. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Love the yellow flags, possible evidence markers.

Your time is coming, Barry.
Tick tock.
Tick tock.

Of course. I just wondered why he was so angry that day and not the day before or the day before that.
Suzanne had finally told him she was done. On Saturday, he was blowing up her phone and she wouldn’t answer. He was used to sweet talking (aka guilting her) into giving him another chance. I believe he knew she was talking to JL, suspected the affair. Huge blow to his ego. This time, he knew Suzanne was serious about ending the marriage, taking a toll on his finances (and also his ego.) He thought he owned her. Barry‘s powder keg of possessiveness exploded.

Most dangerous time for a woman is when she’s leaving the relationship.

Suzanne didn’t stand a chance.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads